MAR
2011

St. Patrick’s Day clover place cards

by: Chica

St. Patrick’s Day clover place cards

St. Patrick's Day clover place cardsIf you are planning a dinner or event (or wedding?) to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and find yourself in need of some table decorations or place cards, then you’re going to love this quick idea. We had some candy kettles left over from the St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun game that Jo came up with last year, and I realized they were the perfect size to put next to each place setting on a table.

To turn these sweet but ordinary kettles into something special for St. Patrick’s Day, I decided to fill them with clover. If you’ve got the time, you could pick up some shamrock seeds and plant them in each pot, but I had neither time nor patience for that. Instead, I took the far easier route and just ran out to the backyard and dug up some clover!

After just five minutes of work, they are pretty darn adorable already, don’t you think?

Because I wanted to use them as place cards, though, I took it a step further. I got some green cardstock and cut it into little shamrock shapes and wrote names on with a green marker. If you’re not comfortable cutting a clover freehand, you could use a clover paper punch or use the clover design in Cricut’s Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge. I used a piece of tape to attach each clover to a toothpick.

St. Patrick's Day clover place cardsSt. Patrick's Day clover place cards

Then I just stuck the pick down into the clover and that was it!

St. Patrick's Day clover place cards

I think they look really sweet on a place setting. I’m going to give a couple of these to Jo and my sister so that they can leave them on the breakfast table on St. Patrick’s Day morning. Imagine how excited Little Jo and Squirt will be to discover that a Leprechaun left them a gift!

St. Patrick's Day clover place cards

St. Patrick’s Day clover place cards

Jessica 03/03/2011 at 3:05 pm

That is such a cute idea! Wish we had clover growing around here.

Chica 03/03/2011 at 6:25 pm

Thanks, Jessica! If you don’t have clover in your yard, try scouring a local park. Unless by “around here” you mean somewhere so cold or dry that clover doesn’t grow? :)

Baye 03/03/2011 at 8:36 pm

You have something growing outside? I really need to move further south. I’ve got a couple of feet of snow and it’s going down to 6 degrees tonight.

Such a cute idea! Sometimes the stores here sell clover around St. Patrick’s Day. Hope I find it this year!

Chica 03/04/2011 at 6:54 am

Ugh, Baye, I could not handle that much snow still! I’m so ready for Spring.

Lindsey 03/10/2011 at 11:52 pm

We’re doing these as the “craft” at my daughter’s 1st grade st. patty’s day party! I’m digging up 21 clumps of clover (Yeah, we have PLENTY of it in washington!) and they will put it in the little kettles ($5 for 12 at the party store). They will then be decorating the backs of their clovers with sequins! They are going to have a blast! Thanks for the wonderful idea…oh and we’re “sneaking” in to decorate their door the evening before with the pot of gold and rainbow! I love all your great ideas!

Chica 03/11/2011 at 6:55 am

Lindsey, that sounds great! We would love to see pictures of the door and clover kettles if you can manage to snap a few.

Staci 03/14/2011 at 1:09 pm

Oh, those are seriously adorable…and I have a yard full of clover! :-)

Melissa 03/28/2011 at 10:54 pm

I’m thinking those little black pots should have been really easy to find on clearance after Halloween. Next year I’ll keep my eye out for them.

cheryl 03/26/2012 at 7:22 pm

Thank you so much for this cute, easy, and thrifty idea! Your wonderful project added so much festivity and fun to our holiday! I blogged about it here: http://crackofdawncrafts.blogspot.com/2012/03/welcoming-leprechauns.html

Chica 03/27/2012 at 7:00 am

Cheryl, I love how your clover pots came out! Thanks so much for sharing the idea on your blog.

Jackie Smith 02/17/2013 at 4:59 pm

I love the little pots of clover, I will use these on my table this year. If i can’t find the pots, I will use small clay pots.I’m wrapping my chandelier in green garland, gold coins on the table, Beeleek china, green chargers,orange naps, white candles,tiny shamrock confetti daffodils in the centerpiece, on a white cloth.

Chica 02/18/2013 at 1:25 pm

Sounds like a delightful tablescape, Jackie!

heidi 03/15/2013 at 4:23 pm

I saw this a few weeks ago – such a great idea! I made these for our Patty’s Day party at home. I “tweaked” it a little for the friends at work and made pots o’ gold with yellow and orange skittles, m&ms, and reeses pieces..

Chica 03/15/2013 at 6:57 pm