NOV
2010

How to make a mesh ribbon wreath

by: Chica

How to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Jo’s husband (a.k.a. McGeeky) was browsing some store or other recently and encountered an item that he was sure Jo and I could make good crafty use of. It was a giant roll of sparkly, red, mesh ribbon.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

And when I say it’s giant ribbon, I mean it — it’s 10 yards long and 21 inches wide! When you unroll it, it’s a very pretty and flexible mesh and Jo and I had never seen anything like it before. It was just screaming for something creative to be done to it!

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

As soon as I held the ribbon in my hands, I had an idea on how to use it, so Jo gladly turned the roll over to me. I wanted to make a wreath, so I grabbed my favorite wreath base — an old wire coat hanger.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I stretched the hanger into a round shape, and used my needle nose pliers (my favorite tool of all time) to snip off the hanger’s hook. Then I used some ordinary transparent tape to secure the wire ends into a loop. (If you prefer, you can leave the hook in place and use it for hanging the wreath later.)

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Then I took one end of the ribbon and bunched it up, sort of accordion folding it as I went.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I secured it tightly together with a piece of tape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Then I attached the end of the ribbon to my wire frame with more tape, making sure it was super tight.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I bunched the ribbon up again, about 8 inches from the first place…

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

…and secured it tightly with more tape. If you are having trouble getting the tape to stick or want something more durable, you could also use wire to attach your loops to the hanger.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I attached the taped part to the wire frame, pushing it right up against the first one, so that the ribbon billowed out in a fluffy shape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Once again, I secured it to the frame with tape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Then I did the same thing again, moving out 8 inches along the length of ribbon, bunching it up…

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

…then securing it with tape and attaching it to the frame with more tape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

The second loop squished right up against the first, and they blended together beautifully. I knew I was on to something good!

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

On the back, you can see the tape where I attached each loop.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

As the loops were added, the wreath took on a really fluffy shape that was basically like a giant bow.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I kept on working my way around, keeping all the taped areas as close together as I could get them.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

When the frame was covered in taped bunches, the back looked pretty funny with all it’s taped bunches.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

But I flipped it over and I had a gorgeous, fluffy front! It was easy to adjust the ribbon a little here and there to make a nice shape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I love how this wreath came out, and it only took me about 15 minutes to make.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

The wreath looks great on the door, and will be a wonderful addition to my Christmas decorations.

UPDATE: I created this wreath back in 2010, when McGeeky gave us that giant roll of mesh ribbon. I had never seen the ribbon before, or wreaths made of it. Now it’s years later, and both are everywhere! I can’t help but wonder if we helped start the trend, or if I just had the same idea a bunch of other people did too. :)

How to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Bonnie 10/24/2014 at 4:47 pm

I bought some on a Halloween sale for just 3.99 st Joann’s. I thought I could cut it and make little wreaths for a kids project. Didn’t work – it comes apart. I’ll have to use it for something else. I wasn’t out much!

Sheila 10/27/2014 at 2:03 pm

This looks so nice and easy to make. Love it.

Kathy Jo Carlisle 10/29/2014 at 1:41 pm

Thank you for your easy to follow instructions regarding for a bow wreath. I’ve been struggling with making a few for this upcoming Christmas without any previous know how. I made my first one this morning and it may not look as good as yours, but it is better than any of the others I made without using your technique. Why do you use tape instead of wire to attach the ribbon? Just wondering?

Chica 11/01/2014 at 11:21 am

Kathy Jo, I used tape instead of wire because that’s all I had on hand. Wire would probably work a lot better :)

Latarsha 11/08/2014 at 3:06 am

I made this wreath and it came out great and that is saying a lot for one of the most uncreative people I know. Thanks for making it easy!

Chica 11/08/2014 at 9:11 am

So glad we could help you be successful in a creative project, Latarsha!

Morgann 11/19/2014 at 4:12 pm

I made this wreath but instead I use chiffon ties instead of tape. After I finished the wreath I went to hang it on my door by the hanger part and the bottom of the wreath sticks out! Its almost like I either used too much mesh. Would it be the chiffon ties that caused this to not lay more flat? Any ideas as to what I did wrong and how to fix it for next time?!?! Otherwise I love it ! lol

Chica 11/22/2014 at 8:41 pm

Morgann, it’s hard to say without seeing it, but it sounds like maybe too much mesh. If your ties are really tight, maybe you can cut some of the extra mesh out in the back?

christy 11/26/2014 at 10:15 pm

I have made 7 of these since I found this tutorial. So simple and so so great. Love it!

ds 12/08/2014 at 11:44 am

How many wreaths can you make with the ten yards of mesh?

Chica 12/13/2014 at 2:59 pm

ds, it will depend on how big and how full you make the wreath. Sorry we can’t give a more definitive answer.

Amy Dibble 12/14/2014 at 12:58 am

The taping is confusing me do you cut or just tape and bunch and could you weave the hanger through the ribbon I get so frustrated working with ribbon of any kind lol Ask me to make a paper bow and I’ll knock your socks off every time ribbon not so much any help would be appreciated TIA

. Amy

Chica 12/20/2014 at 12:38 pm

Amy, I just bunched and taped. Cutting the mesh would likely cause it to fray. Good luck!

peggy Gooch 02/14/2015 at 7:26 am

Love this wreath. So easy, simple but yet very elegant, I think. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Ball 03/27/2015 at 9:09 pm

I love the wreaths. Try to make a rather wreath wth 2 colors with Esther lights any ideas

Chica 03/29/2015 at 10:07 am

Linda, I think you could just work with both colors at the same time, doubling up every bunch.

Kaylee 05/24/2015 at 9:16 am

This is a great wreath and quite beautiful, I can’t wait to make this!!!

Tres 06/19/2015 at 7:43 pm

Just bought my mesh today at Wal-Mart. Got a spool each of red, white & blue. If it works up as easy as I think it will I will be making many many more of these. Can’t wait

Nan 10/17/2015 at 1:29 pm

I just found roll I Halloween mesh and on my search on how to make a wreath I found you tutorial. It looks so easy to do with a little patience that I can’t wait to try it . If it comes out as good as your I may try one for Christmas and then Fourth of July. Thanks!

Jo 10/26/2015 at 3:20 pm

Nan, we are sure you won’t have any problems with this simple wreath tutorial! We’d love to see your final creation. Share it and tag us on social.

ccwillia 11/18/2015 at 2:29 pm

That looks beautiful! Thank you for posting this. I’m making one for Thanksgiving decorating. I’m adding some sunflowers and some pine cones. Hopefully it comes out as nice as yours!!

Amber 12/02/2015 at 5:19 pm

I was wondering could this be done with multiple colors? And then maybe a few decorations added? Could you give me some tips please. I really wanna make a wreath and I think this is amazing but I wondered if I could jazz it up a little?

Chica 12/03/2015 at 8:14 am

Amber, you could definitely use multiple colors. Here’s what I’m thinking… instead of squishing each poof up tight against the last, leave some space between them. Then go back with a second or third color and fill in the gaps until full. And when you’re done, go ahead and wire in whatever decorations you want!