JUL
2010

Amazing Race party

by: Chica

Amazing Race party

On this year’s trip to Sanibel, we needed a fun party theme for Jo’s Aunt Sue, whose birthday happened to be that week. She is a huge fan of The Amazing Race, so we thought hosting our own version would be a great way to celebrate her birthday.

We had so much fun creating props for this event. From clues to signs to envelopes, our full collection of Amazing Race digital printables has it all! We’ve also since come up with techniques for making a clue box, fanny packs, and a pit stop mat.

First up — the envelopes. I think the most recognizable element of The Amazing Race that you can bring into your own race is the envelopes. Nothing says “I’m starting a new leg of the race” like tearing open that pull-strip on the envelope to see what’s inside, right? Check our our full post about Amazing Race tear-strip envelopes to learn more about how you can make your own.

The Amazing Race tear-strip envelopes

That brings us to the second most important part of the Amazing Race — the clues! Our printables collection also includes a customizable template that you can edit to enter your own clues. We’ve got all the typical clues types covered — Route Info, Detour, Road Block, and Fast Forward, as well as some of the more uncommon ones — Speed Bump, Intersection, and U-Turn.

Amazing Race party printables

Print your completed clues out on white cardstock and cut them out with scissors or a paper trimmer. Then you can just stick the clues into the envelopes and you’re set.

Amazing Race party

Once your clues are complete, you can put them into a clue box that you can make with our Amazing Race clue box tutorial.

Amazing Race party clue box

Jo also made some custom buttons for the racers to wear, so that spectators could see that they were on an Amazing Race. These buttons were super easy to create with button blanks and yet another customizable template from our collection. She also decided that the race teams needed some way to identify themselves, so she picked up some inexpensive, brightly-colored hats from Oriental Trading Company that the teams could wear. T-shirts or bandannas in bright colors would also be a great way to identify the teams.

Amazing Race party_09

The prizes for our race were Visa gift cards, which were sure to please the members of the winning team, no matter how young or old they were.

We thought we’d show you some pictures from our The Amazing Race party in Sanibel, which really show the fun that the teams had.

Here are some of the team members counting post office boxes at the Sanibel US Post Office, which was one of the Road Block tasks in our race.

Amazing Race party

Everyone did surprisingly well with the counting and only one team had to count twice.

Amazing Race party

One of the other tasks in the race had the teams assemble some provided pieces of felt into a design that was shown on a photo.

Amazing Race party

We did this task at Three Crafty Ladies, our favorite craft store on the island. They were pleased as punch to let us work on their table in the store.

Amazing Race party

The final leg of the race finished up with a task that required one team member to drink a milkshake from Cheeburger, Cheeburger as quickly as possible.

Amazing Race party

Little Jo ended up doing this task for her team, and loved every minute of it, as you can clearly see!

Amazing Race party

If you have an Amazing Race party and have any clue ideas to share, please tell us about it in the comments. We’d love to hear from the racers out there!

Visit our whole collection of The Amazing Race party ideas to make your event as authentic as you can.

To make your final pit stop more authentic, why not decorate it with a Travelocity Gnome and some international flags? You might also want to hand out Amazing Race T-shirts to the winners!

Travelocity gnomeinternational flagsAmazing_Race_Tshirt

Amazing Race party

Chica 03/06/2013 at 7:23 am

Dina, that sounds like a fun theme for your event. I would strongly suggest watching a few episodes of the show in order to be inspired, and so that you’re able to keep your challenges as true to the show as possible (otherwise the real fans in your crowd will be disappointed). For tasks with a literacy theme, you could have people read through books to find the fifth word on each of a handful of specific pages, perhaps to then unscramble the words into a common phrase? Or maybe have people sort books by author alphabetically? I’ll bet your school librarian will be a great source of ideas!

pamsy 03/10/2013 at 5:50 am

Hi! We are going to have a class reunion and I wanted an ‘Amazing Race’ theme wherein every challenge has a corresponding memory from the past. You made my day complete. ;) Thank you so much.:)

Krista 04/27/2013 at 1:05 am

Using this idea for a prom “Amazing Race” day idea. Thanks so much!

Rita 05/05/2013 at 12:03 am

Great work! This will give me some ideas for our family reunion this Aug. The templates will be very useful.

Andy Z. 05/20/2013 at 1:54 pm

Hey Chica & Jo –
    Thanks for the great inspiration. I just ran a Boy Scout/Cub Scout Amazing Race, and it went great. We had 13 teams compete at 5 locations around town, including a tennis club, bowling alley, nature museum, food pantry, and the Scout Shop. All the proprietors loved the idea and donated their involvement. (We donated to the food pantry as part of the event.) Your printables gave a professional touch to the event, and the kids & parents all loved it! Next year is bound to be bigger! THANKS!

Chica 05/21/2013 at 2:56 pm

Andy, it sounds like a great time was had by all! If you’ve got any fun task ideas to share, I’m sure everyone would love to hear them.

aunt katie 06/08/2013 at 6:58 pm

i’ve never seen the show but have promised my nieces an AMAZING RACE birthday party next month. if I use the template and customize the challenges and detours (whatever those are) in order, will it be the same as the TV show? I suppose I should YouTube the show and see what I’ve gotten myself into!

Chica 06/09/2013 at 1:48 pm

Aunt Katie, our templates and challenge ideas will get you pretty far, but to ensure you have the right “feel” for the game, we do recommend you watch the show a few times. I think they play full episodes on cbs.com so check there!

Dena 06/25/2013 at 1:09 pm

Thank you for this! My husband’s Amazing Race: Season 40 is a 3-day event to celebrate his special “season.” You have saved me the leg work to make this happen. Can’t wait . . .

Amy 08/03/2013 at 5:16 pm

Thank you for these amazing templates. I am the principal of an elementary school and we just had an AMAZING Race for our entire staff as part of our pre-planning. It was wonderful for teambuilding and you can see all of the fun on Twitter #Sharon1314

Chica 08/05/2013 at 8:49 am

Awesome, Amy. Thanks for sharing! We’d love for you to mention @chicaandjo in one of your race-related tweets :)

Margaret 08/17/2013 at 11:22 am

Thanks for sharing! Great ideas!

Georgina Parker 09/07/2013 at 4:17 am

Thank you so much, I am in NZ and teach Special needs students. My class is a transition class and will soon be leaving school. None of them will ever hold a drivers license. Therefore they have to learn to navigate themselves around the city using public transport. This term they have been learning to get to places they will need when they leave school. The assessment will be an Amazing race at the end of the term. I have been wondering how to do this. NOW thanks to you clever people I’m really excited and can’t wait for it to happen. Thank you, thank you.

Chica 09/07/2013 at 10:24 am

So glad we could help, Georgina!

Raka 09/27/2013 at 5:16 am

Hello from Indonesia!

My friend, who’s also a big Amazing Race fan, is having his birthday today! I searched for ‘detour card amazing race’ on Google and I found this site. I’m sure he’ll have a blast.

Stepheff 10/12/2013 at 2:34 pm

Thanks so much for the great ideas and printables. Almost ready for the most “amazing” 11th birthday party this afternoon!

Sam 10/19/2013 at 12:36 pm

I am having an amazing race party soon. Thanks for all the ideas.

Joy 10/30/2013 at 10:39 pm

Perfect for a Halloween costume!
    Thanks so much!

Sue 05/02/2014 at 1:59 am

I did an Amazing Race party for my son’s 10th birthday..it was 5 years ago now, and his friends and their parents STILL talk about it whenever we’re all together! Most of my activities revolved around “10”. ie: putting a golf ball into the hole from 10′ away, bowling one perfect “10” strike, tossing a cornhole bag into the hole from 10′ away, etc. I had 5 dads drive the kids around Cleveland, Ohio and believe me, it was truly an “Amazing Race”!!

Chica 05/02/2014 at 9:09 am

What a wonderful memory you’ve made, Sue! I love the “10” theme in the tasks.

Lydia 05/04/2014 at 10:02 pm

This sounds so fun, but some of my friends don’t know what the “Amazing Race” is. I watch it, but will it still work If my friends have never heard of it?

Chica 05/05/2014 at 8:01 pm

Lydia, it’s true that some of the finer points of the game might be lost on people who have never seen the show, but as long as you give a quick summary and put them on a team with somebody who knows the show well, they’re sure to have a blast!

Susan 06/09/2014 at 9:59 am

I love the templates you’ve created but I have a question. I’m using the Amazing Race framework for an activity with my church youth but want to change the name from The Amazing Race to The Amazing Journey to better go with the over-arching theme of the day. I know editing is possible for clues. Would I be able to make changes to the title strips?

Chica 06/12/2014 at 3:41 pm

Susan, the titles are not editable in our current printables collection.

littlelamb 06/19/2014 at 8:22 pm

Hi! Hope your day has been a blessed one.
    I do not have a working printer right now……. so I need to know if this digital file is a file by which I can save my customization on a memory stick and print at some place like Office Depot. Also, clues are constantly evolving so is this file assessible more than once? Or does a person have to have all clues, etc prepared prior to assessing file because its a one time assess file?
    I would love to be able to use your printables!
    Thanks!

littlelamb 06/19/2014 at 8:25 pm

@ AugustSeven
    LOVE your ideas! Post more!

Chica 06/22/2014 at 8:43 am

Littlelamb, you can definitely copy the printables files onto a memory stick and take them somewhere to be printed. You can also access and edit them repeatedly, and save whatever copies you want. Enjoy!

littlelamb 07/03/2014 at 12:35 am

Awesome! Will purchase printables soon.

Rachel 11/21/2014 at 8:34 pm

I am running my own amazing race camp for my girl guide group everything here is perfect!!!!