Vanilla sugar cubes for coffee

by: Chica

Vanilla sugar cubes for coffee

Back when Jo showed you how to make pressed sugar hearts around Valentine’s Day, I knew right away that I wanted to make something similar for adding to coffee. I figured Mother’s Day was the perfect opportunity, so I made my mom some pressed sugar treats for her coffee, and to make them extra special, I flavored them with vanilla!

I used the same recipe as in Jo’s post, but instead of water, I used vanilla extract as my liquid. Pretty clever, wouldn’t you say? I pressed the wet sugar into a regular candy mold. My mold had a cute little oval with a flower on it, but the best part about this is that you could use any mold you like, to suit the occasion. I flipped the mold over onto a little piece of paper towel and tapped it to release the sugar.

vanilla flavored sugar cubes for coffeevanilla flavored sugar cubes for coffee

I left them on the counter to dry for about a day and a half. The paper towels sped it up a bit by helping to absorb the moisture from the sugar. The dried sugar has the same texture and firmness as a good old sugar cube, and I was able to handle them with no problem.

I put the sugar bombs into a pretty glass sugar bowl that I will wrap to give to my mom on Mother’s Day. Fortunately, I had some left that I can keep for myself, too!

vanilla flavored sugar cubes for coffee

What a lovely addition this would make to a bridal shower, tea party, or formal dinner!

vanilla flavored sugar cubes for coffee

Vanilla sugar cubes for coffee

Kelli 05/05/2010 at 9:17 am

I love this idea! which type of vanilla flavoring did you use?

Jo 05/05/2010 at 9:28 am

Pure vanilla extract.

Sheryl 05/06/2010 at 9:55 am

Wonder if you could make these with splenda? I have a cousin that loves vanilla creamer in her coffee, but she uses splenda sugar.

Chica 05/06/2010 at 9:56 am

Neat idea, Sheryl! I don’t keep Splenda in the house, but Jo does. Maybe she’ll try it :)

Sheryl 05/06/2010 at 12:44 pm

If she does, tell her to let us know how it turned out. :-)

vicky 05/08/2010 at 3:33 am

Love this idea. What a fun and easy way to brighten up your morning. I would love to see Hazelnut & Irish Cream as well!

Jennifer 05/13/2010 at 2:31 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this. This would be great for the Teacher Appreciation breakfast we do, or the Volunteer Tea and my kids school.

Aisyah Helga 05/18/2010 at 7:43 pm

Interesting! I’d love to try making these. I’ve linked this to my blog. Thanks for sharing.

Jo 05/18/2010 at 11:35 pm

Thanks for the link! Love the nesting dolls pictured at the top of your blog.

Ashley 07/29/2010 at 1:25 pm

Wondering about Chocolate flavor! My moms a chocoholic she would love it! OH wow I have some great ideas. for this as well.

Chica 07/30/2010 at 8:48 am

Ashley, I think you could probably do this trick with any extract or flavoring you can find, including chocolate. I happened to use vanilla extract, but I bet the syrups you use to flavor coffee would work as well.

Lachelle 09/08/2010 at 12:45 pm

Wonder how lemon juice would work, then I could use them in my tea.

Chica 09/08/2010 at 12:50 pm

Lachelle, what a neat idea. If you try it out, please let us know how it works!

If the lemon juice doesn’t bind the sugar properly, I have one other idea. Perhaps you could mix some True Lemon, which is crystallized lemon juice, in with the sugar and then use water. I use True Lime in my drinks all the time… it’s so good!

Joe K 12/26/2010 at 10:47 am

I made these wilt real fresh lemon juice and lemon zest (about 2 tblsp). They were wonderful !!! Great in both hot and iced tea. I would love to try it with orange juice and zest. It would be great in a cup of Earl Grey !

Chica 12/26/2010 at 11:17 am

Ooh, lemon is a wonderful idea, Joe!

Metqa 01/06/2012 at 12:35 am

To Sheryl, about Splenda. I haven’t tried it yet, but I can be pretty sure that this recipe would not work well with Splenda since the maltodextrin has less physical mass than crystal sugar does. when added to liquid it just puffs away. I’m going to try this with a crystal sweetener like Xylitol, Erythritol, or even Diabetisweet. All of these have bulk mass similar to sugar. With the cost of flavored coffees rising, making these cute sugar bomb with different flavored extracts would be a nice alternative:Vanilla, Hazel nut, Almond, Rum, Butter, etc.

Chica 01/06/2012 at 7:19 am

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Metqa. Let us know how this works with those other sweeteners!