Use scrapbook paper organizers in the kitchen Posted by Jo
June 15, 2009
Jo

I love the magazine holder-style organizers that you can get for 12×12 scrapbook paper.  They are inexpensive, compact and sturdy.  I use them all over my craft room to organize all of my different paper products.  One day, when I was looking for a way to corral all of my rolls of contact paper, it occurred to me that one of these organizers would be the perfect solution!  Once I started thinking “outside the box” in the craft room, I took my idea to the kitchen.

I quickly found three uses for my vertical paper organizers: holding my rolls of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, parchment paper, etc., holding my assortment of cutting boards together in one place, and my favorite use, keeping all of my candy molds from being scattered everywhere in my cabinets!  I was surprised by how many candy molds would fit inside of one organizer, and I love being able to organize the molds by holiday or theme.

12x12 scrapbook organizers12x12 scrapbook organizers12x12 scrapbook organizers

I am sure that I will continue to find new uses for this versatile organizer.  If you think of any, please leave a comment to let me know!

1. Michelle said: (June 15th, 2009 at 11:34 am)

What a great idea!

2. Jenny said: (June 15th, 2009 at 11:43 am)

I use them for holding manuals of all types. We have one with all the appliance manuals for the house, another for small electronics, one for all the baby stuff, etc. Love them!

3. Jo said: (June 15th, 2009 at 3:38 pm)

Jenny, I am liking the manuals idea. That made me think that one would be great for holding all of our take-out menus!

4. Michelle said: (June 15th, 2009 at 10:46 pm)

great idea!!!

5. Laura in 'bama said: (January 2nd, 2010 at 9:01 pm)

This is just what I was looking for to hold my rolls of foil et all! Wonderful idea! I’d been racking my brain for something … ended up using a small metal bookend which is too short. This could also be done with cereal boxes, I bet!

6. Donna said: (February 16th, 2010 at 5:25 pm)

Thanks for the idea!

To make these “green” you can make them from empty cereal boxes then doll them up with wrapping or contact paper. I bet the contact paper would lend some extra strength to the box as well.

7. Jo said: (February 16th, 2010 at 8:03 pm)

Donna, I like the contact paper idea, I just love that stuff. I will have to try it out.

8. Jamie W said: (August 30th, 2011 at 11:39 am)

I saw this on Pinterest and ran upstairs to do this right that minute! I had a drawer that wouldn’t close because one wrap box was slightly too big and it was ticking me off ;0). My drawer and cabinet are so gorgeously organized now. I wish I had taken a before and after shot to send to you. Thanks for the awesome idea!

9. Chica said: (August 31st, 2011 at 7:06 am)

Yay, Jamie! We’re glad this tip was so useful for you. We’d still love to see an “after” pic :)

10. Willa Eklund said: (November 1st, 2011 at 10:53 pm)

I have about 8 of these holding crafting magazines. I am thinking about getting rid of some of the magazines. Thanks for some of the ideas – I am going to wrack my brain for more ideas as my storage is limited. Thank you.

11. Kim said: (November 15th, 2011 at 2:40 pm)

I’m thinking it would be a great way to organize my favorite cookbooks. :)

12. Chica said: (November 15th, 2011 at 7:42 pm)

Great idea, Kim!

13. Anita said: (December 3rd, 2011 at 6:58 pm)

I use a magazine organizer to keep all my appliance “booklets” and warranty information together. Since they are all different sizes it was hard to keep them all together in one place. It doesn’t matter if it is only 1 sheet or a small booklet. And I’m not digging through the file cabinet to find a warranty.

14. Chica said: (December 4th, 2011 at 10:15 am)

Great idea, Anita. I have a similar system, and I keep all those warranties in a decorative box on the bookshelf. It’s decorative and functional :)

15. Lauren said: (January 15th, 2012 at 10:46 pm)

I made two of these out of an empty cereal box and zebra print duct tape! The print covers up the layers and edges, and I now have a cabinet open for all my cookbooks! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

16. Chica said: (January 16th, 2012 at 7:21 am)

Very resourceful, Lauren. If you have a photo, we’d love for you to share it in our Flickr Group for reader project photos.

17. Jennifer said: (January 29th, 2012 at 5:35 pm)

I am thinking this would be great to hold all the plastic lids for my Tupperware. Maybe use a different one for each shape of lid.

18. Chica said: (January 30th, 2012 at 9:55 am)

That’s an excellent idea, Jennifer! Thanks for sharing.

19. Jeanne WIlke said: (February 20th, 2012 at 8:44 am)

I LOVE these ideas! My cook book cupboard is a MESS! My boys have tons of duct tape…. cheap/colorful/cool ways to straighten up! THANKS

20. Love and Lollipops said: (February 21st, 2012 at 6:49 am)

I love this idea!! I might give the cereal box version a try. Thanks for sharing!

Georgia

21. Teri said: (March 9th, 2012 at 2:39 pm)

Permission to repin to my Pinterest board?

22. Chica said: (March 10th, 2012 at 6:25 pm)

Teri, we’d love for you to pin this and any other idea. We are big fans of Pinterest and you can find our boards here: http://pinterest.com/chicaandjo/

23. Jenna said: (March 12th, 2012 at 12:53 am)

I was thinking what Jennifer said with all the Tupperware lids. Thanks for the inspiration. Did you buy the scrapbook ones at a craft store?

24. Jo said: (March 12th, 2012 at 6:59 am)

I love the Tupperware lid storage idea, too! Yes, I got the organizers at a craft store, probably Michael’s.

25. Misty said: (March 16th, 2012 at 4:49 pm)

I think I’m going to use it in the bathroom to organize my everyday hair products vs. going out hair products. Thanks for the inspiration!

26. Norma Smith said: (April 20th, 2012 at 4:08 pm)

I can’t wait to try this out. This will free up a lot of storage space for me. Thanks for the idea.

27. Debra said: (April 22nd, 2012 at 7:37 pm)

This is a GREAT idea~It will free up a drawer, that’s for sure. I will try this~

28. Adrienne said: (June 21st, 2012 at 3:16 pm)

Hi where did u buy these clear magazine holders. Thanks

29. Jo said: (June 21st, 2012 at 3:56 pm)

Adrienne, I’m not sure where I picked up these exact holders, but if you click the “organizers” link in the post above, you’ll see some that are almost the same.

30. Kat said: (July 21st, 2012 at 9:00 am)

Going to do this today!! If anyone is near an Ikea- they also have these holders made out of sturdy cardboard, and you get like 5 in a pack. cheap!
    Today, I use these to hold all my loose recipes I have tore out of magazines, printed off the internet, etc..

31. Chica said: (August 2nd, 2012 at 9:19 am)

Kat, that’s a great idea to use the cardboard organizers from IKEA. I have a trip there planned in a few weeks and might pick some up just for that!

32. Tara Berke Torres said: (October 14th, 2012 at 2:24 am)

I’m going to raid my scrapbook closet tomorrow! So excited. For all the people talking about using them for appliance manuals, etc., I actually use 2 binders, and prefer that way, as you can file everything alphabetically!

33. Annette Poteat said: (February 9th, 2013 at 12:22 am)

My kitchen foil, wrap, parchment and wax papers are in a tall narrow cabinet that gets them shoved all around and I have to get on my knees and dig to find what I need. I’m soooo going to do this. Might be good for boxes of freezer /storage bags. Thanks for this idea!

34. Yvonne said: (February 18th, 2013 at 7:30 pm)

I plan on adding magnets and keeping it on the side of my fridge! Thank you for posting.

35. Yvonne said: (February 18th, 2013 at 8:03 pm)

NIx that comment on the magnets… unless you find some REALLY STRONG magnets, it won’t work. Sorry.

36. Beth said: (April 20th, 2013 at 8:18 pm)

I am going to use these in my office for folders labeled by catagories, and in my sewing room for patterns!

37. Chica said: (April 21st, 2013 at 9:25 am)

I love the pattern storage idea, Beth!

38. Resi said: (July 17th, 2013 at 7:17 pm)

I just implemented this idea. Thank you! Looks so much more organized.