OCT
2014

Frozen cake topper with candy ice castle

by: Chica

Frozen cake topper with candy ice castle

As you saw in Jo’s Frozen birthday party post, I made a cake for MiniMe with layers decorated in the styles of Elsa and Anna. For the cake topper, I thought it would be a nice touch to make a candy version of Elsa’s ice castle. I came up with a really easy way to do it, and it had great impact!

Frozen cake topper ice castle

First, I got a cookie sheet (with sides) and lined it with foil. Then I sprayed a light coating of vegetable oil spray on it.

Frozen cake topper ice castle

Then I made a batch of hard candy syrup using our hard candy recipe. I only used one drop of blue food coloring, because I wanted the candy to have a very faint color. I poured the entire batch into the foil-lined cookie sheet.

Frozen cake topper ice castle

After it hardened, we carefully broke the sheet of candy into long, pointy pieces.

Frozen cake topper ice castle

Then we just stuck them down in the top of the cake.

Frozen cake topper ice castle

Everyone loved the result, and couldn’t believe it was edible candy!

Frozen cake topper ice castle

Frozen cake topper with candy ice castle

Laura Aubuchon 12/20/2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for the ideas, the ice castle worked great and I also used the same candy to poor a frozen pond. Turned out great!

Alissa 01/02/2015 at 9:04 am

Thank you for sharing this, the cake looks great! One question – i’m having a problem with the icicles only breaking into smaller pieces. Is there a trick to getting those tall pointed pieces? Thanks!

Chica 01/04/2015 at 10:55 am

Alissa, I can give two pieces of advice for breaking the candy into long pieces. First, try holding the sheet of candy with both hands on the same long edge, then bending up to snap. Applying pressure on the whole long end, rather than on both sides, should help. Second, make a bunch of candy, so you have plenty to work with! I made a giant tray and only ended up using about 1/3 of it because I picked the pieces I liked the best.

Trisha 01/07/2015 at 2:05 pm

I was wondering what size cake pans you used for each layer of the cake? This cake looks amazing!!!

Chica 01/11/2015 at 6:53 pm

Thanks, Trisha! I don’t remember for sure, but I think the top layer was 6″ and the bottom layer was 8″. I used deep pans and doubled up the cake to make the layers nice and tall.

Molly 01/19/2015 at 4:46 pm

Where did you get the characters? Please don’t tell me you made them in fondant… if so they are too good!

Kasie 01/21/2015 at 2:26 pm

Here is the link to my end result cake using your tutorial.
    It turned out great! My grandpa thought I had really put glass in the cake. lol
    It was super tasty!
    Thanks!

Chica 01/22/2015 at 7:24 pm

Great job, Kasie. Thanks for sharing your photo!

Chica 01/22/2015 at 7:28 pm

Molly, I definitely didn’t make the characters. Wow, that would be a challenge! They are just plastic toys that Jo got specifically for the cake.

flis gaynor 01/26/2015 at 10:49 am

Hi, Great idea for a cake but can i ask where you got the diamonds from that are around the board please. or are they made ? where could i get the mold from. thanks

Chica 02/05/2015 at 12:03 pm

Flis, the diamonds around the cake are plastic, and we had them leftover from another party, so we used them again here. Not sure where they came from, but probably the local party store.

Heidi 02/28/2015 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the recipe but especially the tutorial as my 1st batch came out green and was overcooked. Recommend checking the temperature on your thermometer first. For those in the UK corn syrup is difficult to get hold of. I halved the receipe as it made thinner ice sheets perfect for the frozen cake. The recipe I used was 2 x 140g tubes of liquid glucose, 1 3/4 cups of caster suger, 0.5 cups of water. Take note of the advise about the limitation of blue food colouring as the more you use the greener it gets. Mine didn’t go very blue but certainly looked like ice. I added edible white glitter for added effect. Happy ice making.

Chica 03/06/2015 at 6:59 pm

Heidi, thanks for sharing your tips with fellow readers in the UK!

Marie 03/21/2015 at 3:55 pm

I found that if I score the candy shortly after pouring it the pan, it will break more easily to the size that I want once it’s cool. I was able to get several large pieces from one pan.

Los - The Man, The Chef, The Dad 03/23/2015 at 6:33 pm

I LOVE this idea! I think I’m going to try it for my son’s Loki cake I’m going to do. I’ll let you know how it comes out!

Chica 03/29/2015 at 10:12 am

Great idea, Marie. I’ll have to try that if I make another cake like this in the future!

Karen L 03/31/2015 at 6:19 pm

flis gaynor: For the diamonds, you could use the hard candy jewels they have on their site. You can make them in any color you want that way. : )

Jennifer White 04/19/2015 at 10:34 pm

Thank you for the tutorial for the hard candy and the Elsa cake idea!! The candy worked out great! I was a little nervous trying this for the first time. Thank you again.

Chica 04/21/2015 at 5:58 pm

Jennifer, we’re so glad to hear that you put your nerves aside and tried it anyway and succeeded :)

Penny Newell 04/25/2015 at 7:43 am

Hi, I am hoping to make it for my daughters party this June…did anyone make the candy in a hot humid area? I live in the Middle east and it is very hot and humid in June

Pam anstee 06/28/2015 at 5:25 am

That cake looks amazing, what is the recipe for hard candy? Thanks pam

Chica 06/30/2015 at 7:11 pm

Pam, you can find our hard candy recipe here: http://www.chicaandjo.com/2010/04/26/make-hard-candy-jewels/

Linn 09/01/2015 at 9:16 pm

My first attempt was sticky on the top side and greasy on the foil side. Anyone else have this problem? I have a week before I make the cake!

Chica 09/03/2015 at 9:04 am

Linn, if the candy is sticky it’s usually because you either didn’t cook it to a high enough temperature, or there’s too much humidity in the room. If the bottom is greasy, you probably used a bit too much cooking spray.

Linn 09/03/2015 at 4:40 pm

Thanks! Probably the humidity in the room because I cooked it to 300 and had calibrated the thermometer. Hopefully my next batch won’t be sticky! I halved the recipe and only used a drop of blue coloring, so I don’t think it was because I added the color before cooking. No one else had mentioned the stickiness, so maybe it was just my kitchen.

Mariel 11/02/2015 at 12:53 am

Made your cake for my daughters bday turned out pretty good. Wish I could attach photo