AUG
2014

Sahale Valdosta Pecans Recipe

by: Chica

Sahale Valdosta Pecans Recipe

A few weeks ago, I picked up a package of Sahale Snacks brand Valdosta Pecans, flavored with cranberry, orange, and black pepper. It sounded heavenly, and when I got home and tried some, they were so good that I almost ate the whole bag!

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

The bad news is that they were kinda pricey, and I wanted more. Lots more. I decided to recreate the recipe at home, so I could have as much as I wanted. And oh my goodness, I nailed it!

I took my cue from the ingredients on the package, which were all actual foodstuffs. I experimented a bit with the cooking technique until I came up with the perfect copycat recipe for Sahale Snacks Valdosta Pecans! Here it is.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans with Cranberries, Orange, and Pepper

• 2 cups pecans
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (I used Craisins)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp corn syrup
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp orange zest

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

Start by adding the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and pepper to a non-stick skillet. I used the OrGreenic pan my mom got me for Christmas, which worked great.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

Stir and cook over medium heat just until the sugar dissolves and it starts to bubble a little.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

Then add the pecans and stir well to coat. Continue to cook for about 3 minutes.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

Turn off the heat, then add the cranberries and orange zest, and stir well.

NOTE: I’ve noticed that sometimes the cranberries get too dry if they cook the entire time. For chewier cranberries, consider waiting to add them to the mix halfway during the cooking time.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

The mixture will be quite sticky at this point, but you should still be able to stir it.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

Dump the contents onto a piece of parchment paper (or a Silpat) on a cookie sheet and spread the pecans out into a single layer.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

Put the cookie sheet into a 250 degree F oven and bake for one hour, stirring after every 15 minutes. This will toast the pecans slightly and dry out the sugar glaze so that it’s not sticky anymore.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.

I’ve had several friends try my pecans and compare them to the original, and they all say that my Valdosta Pecans recipe is right on the money. If anything is different, it’s that the pecans are a little fresher and the flavors are brighter, because they haven’t been sitting in a bag on the shelf for months.

Sahale Valdosta Pecans copycat recipe

I hope you enjoy recreating your own Valdosta Pecans at home!

Sahale Valdosta Pecans Recipe

TXMess 09/15/2014 at 10:36 am

Oh, my goodness, this sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it. :)

jk - no joke! 11/07/2014 at 11:49 am

these are my favorite snack! I was hoping to put together a recipe myself, but you’ve beat me to it. Thank you so very much!

Chica 11/08/2014 at 9:10 am

JK, I hope you enjoy making these yourself as much as I do!

JW 11/26/2014 at 6:10 am

THANK YOU! I am on a limited diet, but these “work” for me. However, they are so yummy that no matter how much I tell myself not to, I eat the entire $4.60 bag in one sitting every time I buy one. I have been looking for a way to make a some at home.. you know, just 15 or 20 bags worth, so I can eat them all myself : ) Thanks again!

Chica 11/27/2014 at 10:50 am

JW, I hear ya! Hope you enjoy making these yourself :)

Martha 01/11/2015 at 7:10 pm

I just tried your recipe – it is superb – you really did nail it!!! Everything being fresh makes a huge difference.

I forgot to buy corn syrup at the store so I googled for an emergency substitute – it came back with dissolving 1 1/4 sugar with 1/4 cup hot water or any other liquid in the recipe – I juiced the Orange I had used for the zest and used that in place of the water – very nice substitute!!! Thank You for a great recipe!!!

Chica 01/14/2015 at 7:37 pm

So glad you enjoyed it, Martha. Mmm, you’ve inspired me to go make a batch!

Russ 04/19/2015 at 6:30 pm

Delicious!!!

This was my first attempt at a Sahale imitation and it was excellent! I had to make a few substitutions due to lack of exact ingredients on hand but the measurements are pretty much spot-on. I’m hooked!

Angelita Sta. Maria 05/23/2015 at 11:49 pm

Thank you so much! I love this kind of Sahale Valdosta. So expensive! So I’m glad I can try to make it myself.

Shawna 10/28/2015 at 9:31 pm

So grateful for your post. I didn’t have corn syrup so used granulated sugar and molasses – I also added candied ginger, dried cherries and dried apricots (you use what you have !) and it was great. You’ll need to do a follow up post with a 10,000 calorie burn workout to make up for those of us who will attempt to eat the entire batch :)

Nancy 05/31/2016 at 11:32 am

OMG, thanks for taking the time to do this. I was having trouble finding them and of course when I do, they are $4 – $5 per bag. I find it hard not to eat the whole bag in one setting. I can’t wait to make these at home.

Jo 05/31/2016 at 2:30 pm

Nancy, I agree! They are hard to resist. Glad we could help!

Vidya 10/02/2016 at 6:09 am

Hi Chica! Tried this recipe out – came out amazing, even better than the Sahale packet. Everyone at home loved the crunchy, sour, sweet pecans :)

Chica 10/03/2016 at 5:49 pm

Vidya, so glad to hear it!

Jean 10/26/2016 at 1:53 pm

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I didn’t feel like paying $4-$6 per bag, thanks again.

tess 03/22/2017 at 5:59 pm

The recipe is truly great. The first time I followed your directions completely, The cranberries were too dry for me so the next time I put the cranberries in with the nuts just the last 15 minutes of baking. It turned out nicely. Thanks for your recipe.

Chica 03/23/2017 at 10:26 am

Tess, I totally agree. I realized after the last time I made it that the cranberries were a little dry. I’ve been meaning to update the post, and your comment just reminded me to do so. Thanks for the prompt!