Silhouette reading lamp Posted by Jo
April 25, 2012
Jo

Downloads

I really loved the look I got when I created the cityscape silhouette lampshade for my kitchen work desk, so I decided to make another version for a lamp I bought at Kirkland’s to go in my library.

Since this was going to be a reading lamp, I decided to use the phrase “Once Upon a Time” (which also happens to be the title of one of my favorite new TV shows). I used my Cricut and the Storybook Cricut cartridge to cut the saying out of black scrapbook paper. If you do not have a Cricut or that particular cartridge, I made a downloadable template for you that you can print to the size you need for your lamp. I would print it onto white card stock (rather than paper) to give the finished words a little more rigidity. Once I had my piece cut out, I just used a little spray adhesive on the front of the letters and pressed it onto the inside of the lamp shade. Super simple!

silhouette reading lampsilhouette reading lamp

I love how it looks so ordinary when it’s off but then turns magical when I turn it on to read a good book!

silhouette reading lamp

silhouette reading lamp

And guess what! Our friends over at Kirkland’s have featured this stenciled dresser on their site as part of their new Pinning Parlor! Kirkland’s is kicking off their new Pinning Parlor with a “Pin + Win Promotion” that you should definitely go check out. The Pinning Parlor, a gathering place for inspiration on MyKirklands.com, offers visitors the chance to pin beautifully styled photography, DIY projects, and design tips to their own Pinterest boards for a chance to win. Each week of the four-week promotion, one lucky entrant will win a $2000 prize pack from Kirkland’s and Formica├é┬« Flooring. They’re adding new inspiration to the Pinning Parlor each week, so be sure to check back often for more inspiration and more chances to win!

1. Deborah montgomery said: (April 27th, 2012 at 1:29 pm)

I really want to win and have a Kirkland home since I lost my home 5/22/11 in the tornado, I have a new home that’s very empty !!!

2. Jessica Holbrook said: (May 1st, 2012 at 11:10 pm)

Super cool idea! I think I’ll try this in my son’s room with a Transformer Autobot symbol. =)

3. Lisa said: (May 14th, 2012 at 8:36 pm)

Thank you for the PDF download since I don’t have a cricut yet. I really appreciate it. This will be great for Christmas!

4. Courtney said: (June 22nd, 2012 at 3:37 pm)

How fun is that! This is perfect for the lamp in my daughter’s new princess room. Thanks!

5. Donna said: (July 2nd, 2012 at 9:21 pm)

Can’t afford a Cricut right now, but could you please make a template “Home Sweet Home”.

THANKS!

6. Wendy said: (August 13th, 2012 at 1:24 am)

This is a great idea. I am getting started on this project right away. Thank you for sharing!

7. Shirley said: (September 14th, 2012 at 9:57 am)

What a fantastic idea. I want to do this!

Thanks so much!

8. Sue said: (October 20th, 2012 at 10:19 am)

With the heat from the light bulb, how well does the stencil stick and stay stuck LONG TERM to the lamp shade?

9. Chica said: (October 21st, 2012 at 11:11 am)

Sue I haven’t had any problem with the words sticking, but your results will vary depending on the material your lampshade is made of, the weight of the paper you use, and how much and what type of glue you apply.

10. Jennie said: (August 25th, 2013 at 8:39 pm)

I just made this lampshade to go on a lamp my husband made out of old books. It was such a perfect fit and we put the lamp on an old school desk as a side table in my 2 daughters room. I love it and thank you so much for the idea and stencil. I pinned my picture on pinterest and copied the link to your page so you can get credit for the awesome idea. (I hope that was okay) LOVE LOVE LOVE!

11. Chica said: (August 26th, 2013 at 6:50 pm)

Jennie, that sounds gorgeous! We love that you pinned it, and thanks for adding a link to our page :)

12. Jody Holland said: (October 19th, 2014 at 10:51 pm)

I am going to do this along with some vintage pictures of my Grandparents glued to the sides of the shade. This lamp will sit on top of a cupboard that I have decopodged two pictures of my parents on.

13. Chica said: (October 23rd, 2014 at 7:43 pm)

What a lovely idea, Jody!