Car seat covers Posted by Chica
April 23, 2012

I am still completely in love with the Nissan Leaf I got a few months ago, and I do my best to keep it nice and clean. That means I hate to get in it if my clothes are dirty, wet, or stinky, because I don’t want to mess up that spotless upholstery! I decided to make some removable car seat covers for times when I need to protect the seats. This was a super easy and fast sewing project.

To make these seat covers, you only need to take one measurement, and that’s around the fattest part of the headrest. You’ll need this measurement to make sure you make a hole that will fit over the headrest later.

car seat coverscar seat covers

For the materials, you need a beach towel and a vinyl tablecloth. The towel is great for soaking up any water or sweat, and it will be comfy to sit on. The vinyl tablecloth will be used as a liner on the back, to keep the moisture from seeping through to the seats. Don’t bother to get a really nice tablecloth for this, either. The thin, cheap ones will actually be more comfortable to sit on, easier to sew, and easier to fold up when not in use.

car seat covers

The first thing to do is make the hole for the headrest. Put the towel face down on the table and measure 10 inches from the end and make a mark. Then measure the width of the towel, divide in half, and mark the center, forming an X where the two marks meet.

car seat coverscar seat covers

Divide your headrest measurement in half (mine was 26 inches, so half of that is 13 inches) and draw a line that long, centered on the X.

car seat coverscar seat covers

Cut along the line, creating an opening.

car seat coverscar seat covers

Lay the tablecloth out on the floor and put your towel on top. Make it all nice and smooth, then cut the tablecloth so it’s about 1″ bigger than the towel on all sides.

car seat covers

Put the towel and tablecloth wrong sides together, and fold the edge of the tablecloth in a half inch or so.

car seat coverscar seat covers

Line the edge up with the towel and pin in place. Do this on all four sides of the towel, then use the sewing machine to sew the edges together.

car seat coverscar seat covers

When you’ve sewn all around, you’ll have a single piece with towel on one side and vinyl on the other.

car seat covers

You’ve still got to close up that hole, though. Use some pins to hold the towel in place around the area you cut, then use the sewing machine to sew two rows of stitches around the hole.

car seat coverscar seat covers

Finally, use your scissors to cut the tablecloth along the slit, trimming away any excess. If you want to get fancy here, you could encase the edge with some ribbon or bias tape, but I decided to keep it simple.

car seat coverscar seat covers

To put the cover on the seat, just slip it over the headrest and down onto the seat back.

car seat coverscar seat covers

A quick straightening and smoothing of the rest of the towel and you’re all set!

car seat covers

The cover comes off just as quickly as it goes on, and you can fold it up and stick in the trunk for when you need it. The vinyl backing also makes this a great waterproof blanket for a picnic, play date at the park, or a stint on the sidelines at the soccer field. And the whole thing is machine washable! (Probably best to line dry, though, so the vinyl doesn’t melt.)

car seat covers

I liked this seat cover so much that I just had to make another one for the other seat. Now I’m all set for summer!

car seat covers

1. Pam in IL said: (April 24th, 2012 at 9:18 am)

Just want to point out that if a new car has side airbags in the seat, any seat covering will interfere with the airbag deployment. Unfortunately, we found out the hard way.

2. PatGLex said: (April 24th, 2012 at 10:22 am)

OMG! I *hate* the seat covers that the auto stores provide….they usually have some stupid design on them. You’ve just given me inspiration to custom make something that will work for my car! And I think I could get by with using upholstery fabric and maybe the terry towels, just for traction underneath. Thanks for the idea!

3. Chica said: (April 24th, 2012 at 7:14 pm)

So happy to have inspired you, PatGLex!

4. Andrea said: (May 6th, 2012 at 7:42 am)

I found this on Craft Gossip and think it’s amazing. Unfortunantly I don’t have a shiny new car. I do have a recently potty trained little one and a road trip coming up, and I think I could modify this to make one for her carseat just in case… I’ve had plenty of occasions where I’ve had to remove and disassemble a car seat to wash them. Thank you!!

5. Chica said: (May 6th, 2012 at 9:22 am)

Andrea, I love the idea of adapting this for a car seat, perhaps with a kitchen towel or hand towel? Besides helping with potty training accidents, I bet it would save headaches from spilled juice or ketchup during that road trip!

6. Jenni said: (May 8th, 2012 at 8:47 am)

That is an amazing idea! You are certainly creative! :)

7. christina said: (June 2nd, 2012 at 8:34 pm)

i love this idea! thank you for posting it…i just found some really adorable beach towels and am going to make my car some…i think i might add some elastic or ribbon to tie underneath my seat and in the back so it doesnt slide…LOVE THIS!

8. Chica said: (June 3rd, 2012 at 9:47 am)

Christina, I love the idea of the elastic under the seat. Let us know how it comes out!

9. Dawn said: (June 24th, 2012 at 10:57 am)

Very creative, just bought a new truck, this will be great! However, I will probably try this without the tablecloth, because I bought the exact tablecloth for my patio tables, when I washed them the backing came off, and I did not dry them.

10. Yvette said: (August 28th, 2012 at 12:28 pm)

This is exactly what I was looking for. (Just picked up the perfect towels for 1/2 price). If you place the peices face to face and sew the hole first, clipping the corners, it will have a more finished look. You just need to turn everything right side out after you sew the headrest hole and continue on from there, sewing the outside edges last instead of first. Another option would be to cover the raw sewn edges at the headrest hole with seam binding.

11. Lori said: (May 8th, 2013 at 9:28 pm)

I have been wanting to do this for some time. I am going to try without the vinyl backing. Although not a “water proof” more comfortable and and good to protect from sweat after a workout.

Gonna try this, this week!

12. Sue said: (May 19th, 2013 at 7:31 am)

Neat idea!! I agree with Dawn, though, about washing the tablecloth..I have also washed them and the backing has always come off…If I may make a suggestion…instead of vinyl tablecloth use a shower curtain (fabric-type)..not the plastic liner (although that may work too). Thanks for this creative idea!!

13. Chica said: (May 19th, 2013 at 9:22 am)

Great idea to use a shower curtain, Sue! I’m sure that would hold up a lot better.

14. Heather said: (June 6th, 2013 at 5:50 pm)

Just made one – super simple!
    My car is far from new haha but I have leather seats, which translates to slip-n-slide in the summer… hopefully this helps!
    My only modification was on the headrest slit: after I made cuts in both layers for it, I turned the ends under so they’re not seen, pinned them in place and ran a zig-zag stitch over the edge all the way around the slot so it’s nice and finished (plus reinforced).
    Thanks for the idea! I’m about to do the same, just with 2 towels sewn together first, and no headrest hole… gonna be the dog’s beach blanket so she stays off mine!

15. Chica said: (June 7th, 2013 at 10:54 am)

So glad you enjoyed this project, Heather. Great idea to reinforce with zig-zag stitching!

16. Sofie said: (August 1st, 2013 at 10:50 am)

I love these for my husband, who’s always at the beach! I don’t own a sewing machine but I wish I could buy some from you :)

17. Sue said: (March 3rd, 2014 at 12:03 pm)

Instead of using a vinyl tablecloth, try using a waterproof mattress cover. Be aware of the proper waterproof side in positioning .

18. Chica said: (March 3rd, 2014 at 12:47 pm)

Great idea, Sue!

19. JULIYA MARTIN said: (March 29th, 2014 at 3:21 am)

Great work.it is clean ,simple and focused .it was really very useful.

20. Karen said: (May 2nd, 2014 at 11:59 am)

I purchased one of these at the tennis pro shop at a tournament. Paid an insane amount for it!! silly me!
    However , My neice is playing college tennis and i think this will be a great addition to her graduation gift.
    I think all my grads may get one this year!!
    thanks for the instruction. I think I will add contrasting bias tape to the opening to finish the edges and to give it a little “pop” of color.
    karen

21. Chica said: (May 2nd, 2014 at 5:49 pm)

Contrasting bias tape is a great idea, Karen!

22. Sally said: (July 2nd, 2014 at 8:26 pm)

If you have a removable head rest can’t you just make the slit big enough for the holes?

Also how much are you leaving to hand over the back?

23. Chica said: (July 14th, 2014 at 8:01 pm)

Sally, if your headrests are easy to remove every time you want to put the cover on or take it off, then you can definitely make the slit smaller. My headrests are kind of a paint to remove, though.

24. Cathy B said: (July 31st, 2014 at 12:40 am)

This is perfect. I have leather seats in my car & dont like them in the Texas summers. I knew if I looked long enough I would find a great way to make them…. just have to borrow my moms sewing machine now. :)