MAR
2012

Button canvas shoes

by: Jo

Button canvas shoes

I picked up a cute pair of blue shoes for Mini Me at my local Target this weekend. I wanted to jazz them up just a bit so I hit the craft room with the Plain Janes. Luckily for me, Chica had left her box of colorful buttons at my house… a plan was formed!

I decided to replace the laces with buttons. I knew the look I wanted but initially had no idea how to make it work so the shoe still functioned. Some elastic, I thought, would do the trick. I started by making a really large knot at the base so that it wouldn’t pull through the hole.

Then I laced up the shoes with the elastic, adding a button at each hole. I went up through the bottom and down the other side (through the hole both times), then pulled taut as I crossed over the shoe to go to the next hole and button. Because the holes were so close together, I couldn’t use all big buttons. I used a smaller button in the middle holes on each side, and larger ones at the top and bottom.

This project went really quickly. After I figured out what I was doing, it took me less than 10 minutes to do both shoes! Just tie off another knot when you get to the end to hold everything together. I love the look and now Mini Me can just slip these on and off without a problem!

Replace shoe laces with buttons to make them easier to put on for young kids.

Button canvas shoes

becca 03/13/2012 at 2:40 am

Genious idea! For young kids, elderly folks, mentally disabled, everyone! Love that they are still tight fit, but slip on too.

PatGLex 03/13/2012 at 12:24 pm

Way cool! Now I want to do this to a pair! I wonder if this method would work for my brown New Balance shoes that the &$*(@!! laces keep coming undone on….. or maybe I should think of a creative way of not having that happen! Will have to take your inspiration and see what comes to me.

Kate 03/14/2012 at 8:43 am

What a great idea!!! I love the look. Thanks for sharing.

Jo 03/14/2012 at 10:24 am

I just saw an adorable button selection while I was in Michael’s last night. Would be perfect for this!

Kara 03/14/2012 at 1:32 pm

So cute! But how did you finish it after you laced all the buttons through? Tie a knot? Thanks!

Anastacia 03/20/2012 at 5:46 pm

I so love this idea. I’ll definitely have to make a couple of pairs & make a few as gifts, raiding my grandmother’s button box for some vintage love!

Janice 03/29/2012 at 10:19 am

I’m doing this! What a great idea! I was just thinking yesterday that I HAVE to get rid of the laces in my two year old’s shoes!

Naamaq 04/14/2012 at 1:06 pm

That is soooo coool!
    I hope my DD will allow me to “fix” her soccer shoes this way. it takes her 5 minutes to wear them because of laces.

...we're sorry, but comments are closed for this post...