Candy corn coffee filter wreath Posted by Jo
October 12, 2011
Jo

I love all of the coffee filter wreaths I’ve been seeing over on Pinterest (check out our boards!) lately, and they inspired me to create my own version for Halloween. Candy corn was an easy choice of inspiration for my wreath because even though I can’t stand eating candy corn, I do love the look of it! I just needed three different colors of coffee filters: yellow, orange, and white. I used ordinary, cheap, basket style coffee filters (not the cone ones), and since they are already white, I didn’t have to do anything at all to one third of them! For the yellow and the orange, I took about 50 filters at a time and dipped them into some water that I tinted with regular food coloring. I allowed the color to soak about halfway up the filter before removing them. Then I just left them to dry.

candy corn coffee filter wreathcandy corn coffee filter wreath

For the wreath frame, I started by cutting a candy corn shape out of some brown wrapping paper. Then I traced the shape onto a piece of foam I had leftover from some packing material. I cut my shape out of the foam (making a huge mess everywhere!) and then I was ready to start hot gluing my filters. To keep from burning myself repeatedly with the hot glue, I wrapped the coffee filter around a pen, put a dollop of super hot glue in the middle, and then stuck it in place on the foam.

candy corn coffee filter wreathcandy corn coffee filter Wreath

I started with the yellow on the bottom and placed the filters around the edge. Then it was just a matter of gluing, gluing, gluing, until the whole thing was covered!

candy corn coffee filter wreathcandy corn coffee filter Wreath

I love how it turned out! It’s so fun and festive, and not nearly as fragile as you might think. The filters are nice and stiff. Looking at it finished, I also realized that I could probably use coffee filters to decorate a pinata. I’ll have to try that one day.

candy corn coffee filter wreath

1. Jessica said: (October 12th, 2011 at 9:36 am)

LOVE this tutorial, thank you! I have a candy corn obsession… don’t like to eat them, just love to decorate with them.

2. Alice said: (October 12th, 2011 at 6:31 pm)

Just the thing to try my hand at coffee filter crafting. Love this wreath for fall. Thanks for sharing your awesome talent.

3. Cindy said: (October 12th, 2011 at 7:17 pm)

Cute!!!!!!

4. Connie said: (October 12th, 2011 at 8:52 pm)

I Love It!! and I Will Have One by this weekend! Thanks for the great tutorial!

5. Susan said: (October 13th, 2011 at 6:58 am)

This Candy Corn Coffee Filter Wreath is AWESOME!! I have to make this, I just love it, you guys are so good!!

6. Tina said: (October 13th, 2011 at 9:07 am)

Love, love, love this! My head is spinning with ideas. I’m curious – How many filters did it take?

7. Robyne said: (October 13th, 2011 at 10:45 am)

I love this! Not only do I love to EAT candy corn, I love the look of your wreath. Great job!~~Robyne~~

8. Karen said: (October 19th, 2011 at 5:54 pm)

I am having some problems making this and need advise please. My orange coffee filters keep turning peach when dry. I have made three batches adjusting the mix and also bought new food coloring to see if that helped. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!!!

9. Jo said: (October 20th, 2011 at 8:21 am)

Karen, I used Wilton Orange Icing Color to do mine. I don’t know if it is because it is a gel color and so the color stays truer or what. I did not try it with liquid color.

10. Karen said: (October 20th, 2011 at 9:07 am)

Thank you very much. I looked at that and did not buy it because I was nervous about it being a gel. I will be going after work to buy it and try. Thank you again!!!

11. Teresa said: (October 20th, 2011 at 10:22 am)

Love this!! I’m going to have to do one for myself!! Thanks for the idea ladies!

12. Karen said: (October 21st, 2011 at 7:23 am)

The gel food coloring made all the difference in the world. My candy corn will no longer be peach. Thank you!!

13. babytroysmommy said: (November 14th, 2011 at 4:08 pm)

Hi i was wondering if this could be applied to a christmas wreath idea? just trying to get some cool crafts done since this will be our first christmas just my hubby our two boys and me!

14. Jo said: (November 16th, 2011 at 11:32 am)

It would be easy to make a tree, you can even use the same basic candy corn shape. Just dip your filters into green instead and then add a pretty, glittered start to the top and you are good to go!

15. Amy said: (February 8th, 2012 at 6:59 am)

aww how inventive of you! So original, i can imagine many people ask where you perchaced it from, then you get the thrill of telling them you made it yourself!

16. Amanda said: (September 2nd, 2012 at 9:06 am)

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I’d love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

17. Dianne said: (September 19th, 2012 at 2:38 pm)

Hi..LOVE the coffee filter candy corn wreath, but it seems it’s taking FOREVER for the filters to dry..maybe I got them TOO wet…hopefully, they will dry soon…love it..

18. Marina said: (September 6th, 2013 at 4:04 pm)

I love the candy corn wreath. I have made Valentine’s day, easter and christmas wreaths with the coffee filters. Just cut in shape of heart and and egg and decorated them. Looked really nice. I will be making the candy corn wreath.

19. Tammy said: (September 10th, 2013 at 9:12 pm)

I have made a LOT of different wreaths with coffee filers I have found that Kool-aide works great for color too :) 1 pack with 1 1/2 cups warm water stir until it dissolves. The name brand is a lot more colorful than the local store brands.

I have tossed mine in the dyer for about 10 to 15 minutes will help them dry faster just have to watch them every few minutes… when done just take a damp wash cloth an wipe out the dryer TADA :)

20. Tiffany said: (October 15th, 2013 at 4:14 pm)

Can you use cardboard for this? Would it work the same?

21. Chica said: (October 16th, 2013 at 7:20 am)

Tiffany, not sure which part you want to use cardboard for. You definitely could not use it instead of the filters, because it wouldn’t be flexible enough to form the fluffy little bunches. You could use it instead of the Styrofoam, but you would have to use strong glue or tape to attach the filters to it, which might be difficult.