JUL
2011

Holder for straws

by: Jo

Holder for straws

I find myself in need of drinking straws a lot, because Mini Me has a hard time drinking out of to-go cups or restaurant glasses with a regular straw. She has to hold the cup in her lap and then stretch her little neck up just to get her mouth on top of the tall straw. Our friend, Rita, recently saw this in action while we were in Sanibel and came to my rescue with a purse full of bendy straws. I had never thought to carry them with me before, but I vowed to pick some up the next time I went shopping.

Once I grabbed a bag of straws at the store, I couldn’t decide how I should carry them around in my purse so that they didn’t get all gross. A little bit of walking up and down the aisles led me to the perfect solution… a toothbrush holder! The bendy straws fit so perfectly into the toothbrush holder that you’d think it was made for them. I tossed one in my purse, one in my car, and one in McGeeky’s car. Now we won’t have any more spilled cups from giant straws!

straw holder

Holder for straws

kristi 07/05/2011 at 5:47 pm

Great idea. Would also be great for my reusable straws if I can find one that fits a bendy reusable.

Shauna 07/06/2011 at 4:35 pm

Oh my gosh, what a brilliant idea! The simplest ideas are always the best. I was just looking at our container of bendy straws this morning thinking I wanted to take them camping with us – I am so going to use this idea for transporting them;) Thanks

Amanda 07/07/2011 at 1:14 pm

We always went the fast route (and less stuff in the bag) by cutting of one end of the straw. You then place the cut end down & have no worries about injury on cut edges.

Jo 07/07/2011 at 4:08 pm

We’ve done that a few times as well but I always seem to be without something to cut a straw! I sound so unprepared!

Cathy 07/22/2011 at 8:20 am

Love this idea. My daughter has to have a straw with her everywhere. Will make a couple of these and carry with me and her too. Thank you

Colette 01/22/2012 at 4:27 pm

great idea! love it!

faye 03/24/2012 at 6:29 pm

We carry a paring knife in a toothbrush holder when we picnic or camp.

Chica 03/24/2012 at 6:48 pm

That’s a very clever idea, faye!

Joyce 01/01/2013 at 8:50 am

The much simpler solution would be to just bring a pair of scissors.

Jo 01/01/2013 at 9:18 pm

Joyce, if that works for you! I travel a lot for work and would be constantly losing my scissors to the TSA though! Also, my girls love the bendy, colorful straws.