JUN
2011

Gum bottle turned craft organizer

by: Chica

Gum bottle turned craft organizer

A couple of days ago, I finished the last piece of gum from one of those 60-count gum bottles that fit perfectly in your car’s cupholder. As my hand started to toss it into the trash, the crafty side of my brain yelled, “Stop!” This little container was too perfect to throw away.

recycled gum canister

Now, I don’t know if all varieties of gum bottles are like this, but for the Wrigley’s Doublemint bottle that I had, the label peeled right off leaving nothing but a plain white container with a clear lid that provided a huge opening.

recycled gum canisterrecycled gum canister

This big lid makes it perfect for storing small items like buttons and beads. Gosh, you could put just about anything in here to organize your craft stash! Embellishments, photo corners, paperclips, or anything tiny that needs a way to be organized.

recycled gum canisterrecycled gum canister

But my favorite part about the gum bottle is the little opening on the other side. Watch what happens when I fill the bottle with glitter.

recycled gum canisterrecycled gum canister

The little lid makes a perfect shaker opening on one side, and it’s easy to pour the excess glitter back in through the big lid on the other side!

recycled gum canisterrecycled gum canister

Gum bottle turned craft organizer

Sue 06/01/2011 at 9:15 am

MY CO WORKERS HAVE BEEN SAVING THESE FOR ME. I ALSO COULD SEE USING THEM FOR SOME CRAFT BUT HAD NOT FOUND ONE YET. THESE ARE SOME GOOD IDEAS.

Mercedes 06/01/2011 at 3:49 pm

I broke my safety pin container the last time I was tying a quilt… I had just finished my pack of gum and now that’s where my safety pins live!

Chica 06/01/2011 at 6:09 pm

Perfect solution, Mercedes!

Geri 06/01/2011 at 6:10 pm

LOVE, LOVE THIS IDEA, NOW I’M OFF TO BUY CHEWING GUM…..:)

Jan 06/01/2011 at 6:31 pm

I use them for change, for pins, for pretty much any small thing that needs to be corralled. I have a couple in my desk at work – rubber bands, paper clips, all the little stuff that ends up being clutter. They’re awesome.
    My daughter uses one to train her puppy. She put some coins in it and shakes it when he gets close to something he’s not supposed to.

Chica 06/02/2011 at 7:15 am

Jan, I love the puppy training idea!

Tasha 06/07/2011 at 6:28 pm

I so love this frugal idea & I will be using it soon!

Dana 12/15/2011 at 8:12 am

Great idea. I have one that is almost empty in my purse and now I will have some GREAT ideas on what to do with it!

Susan 04/30/2012 at 4:52 pm

Aloha from Hawaii ! April 30, 2012
    Love your solution for the gum container. I don’t usually chew gum, but started doing so because I read somewhere that chewing gum stimulates the brain in regard to memory. I am always looking for ideas to repurpose or reuse whatever container is left after enjoying the contents.

Here is an idea for your followers who have to count paper items (like money), or have to pack groceries and have plastic bags to open. I’ve seen where they have waded-up paper towels soaked with water. (Really makes your finger tips dry!)

Instead of using those purchased “Tacky Finger” products, you can make your own using liquid glycerine, purchased from the drug stores or hardware stores.

Fold to fit, then saturate any type of durable cloth or material, and place in something like a small “Altoid” type metal container. A small bottle lasts forever and the up-side is that it keeps your finger tips supple.

Chica 05/01/2012 at 8:20 am

That’s a great tip, Susan. Thanks so much for sharing!

cantik angelot 12/23/2012 at 11:10 pm

I like glitters!! :D hey! I make christmas decor my mother say she so like my creations

Lucy 06/14/2014 at 8:53 pm

I like to use a milk carton by cutting out the middle bit and then sticking the top and the bottom togeteher so you can pour things out and you have the handle!