APR
2011

Easter egg cake pops

by: Jo

Easter egg cake pops

I assume most of you have heard of “cake balls” before, but if you haven’t, they are definitely worth checking into. You basically just crumble up baked cake and mix it with frosting to form a sticky, wonderful mess that can be shaped into balls and dipped in chocolate. We’re big fans of the lovely Bakerella, who has spent the last year or two making cake balls even more famous by putting them on sticks and calling them Cake Pops. With or without the stick, plain or decorated, cake balls are a delight.

I like making cake balls, and of course I love eating them. When I saw the Easter egg carton label project that Chica did yesterday, I was completely inspired to make something special to go inside. That’s when it hit me — eggs are almost round, and I could make egg-shaped cake balls!

At first, I was going to shape the eggs by hand but then I thought, why not use a mold? I simply took some inexpensive plastic Easter eggs I had leftover from last year, washed them out, and then stuffed them full of cake ball mixture. This particular mixture is a basic devil’s food cake mix from a box and a tub of cream cheese icing. No homemade frosting for me this time — it was a weeknight and I need shortcuts in life.

Easter egg cake ballsEaster egg cake balls

Next, put the eggs (in the molds) into your freezer. You can even do this step a day or two ahead of time to make sure the are rock solid, which makes them even easier to remove later. After freezing, simply open the plastic eggs and pop out the cake. Most of mine (9 out of 12) came right out without a problem, but for the rest, I just stuck a toothpick in the convenient holes in the top of my plastic egg and pushed a little. Once the cake balls are out of the molds, put a sucker stick in the bottom of each one, just to make them easier to dip in the chocolate.

Easter egg cake ballsEaster egg cake balls

Now dip your egg into a bowl or mug full of melted Wilton candy melts. Since I didn’t want an egg with a flat side, I stuck the stick into a piece of foam I had on hand to dry upright.

TIP: add a little bit of oil to your chocolate to thin it out some. I learned this trick after doing the purple eggs first. The thinner chocolate gives a more even coat to your eggs, and also makes the finished egg a bit smaller so that you can still fit in your egg carton.

Easter egg cake ballsEaster egg cake balls

When the chocolate is hard, you can either keep the eggs on the sticks, or remove them if you want to put them in a carton, basket, or bowl. That’s it! So simple and so yummy and cute! I love how they look in Chica’s decorated egg carton. What a perfect thing to take to an Easter potluck or egg hunting party.

Easter egg cake balls

Easter egg cake balls

Easter egg cake balls

Easter egg cake pops

Stacy Hanbury 04/19/2011 at 3:16 pm

Cake Balls?????? Do tell please !

Debbie Lee 04/19/2011 at 3:54 pm

What is the recipe for the cake pops? Never tried a cake pop..
    Thanks for all the awesome ideas for Easter..I just love this site..I wish I had found it long before now.

Happy Easter

Jo 04/19/2011 at 5:51 pm

Stacy and Debbie, cake balls are super easy. All you need to do is to stir together some crumbled, baked cake (any flavor) with some icing (any flavor). Roll it into balls and dip it into chocolate! So yummy! This is a great thing to do if you have a lot of sheet cake leftover from a birthday or shower. Just smush the entire thing up in a big bowl and roll bits of the mix into balls and coat in chocolate. It’s a lot of fun coming up with different flavor combinations.

Robyne 04/19/2011 at 8:24 pm

That is a great idea! I love Cake Pops…never thought to use the plastic egg-things for molds! Cute, cute, cute!

Stacy Hanbury 04/21/2011 at 4:00 pm

So you are basically getting your cake and icing in one convenient package, covered in chocolate????? Where have you been all my life ! The flavor combinations are endless.

monica 04/23/2011 at 12:36 am

Can you use peanut butter instead of frosting when you mix it with th cake?

Chica 04/23/2011 at 10:32 am

Wow, Monica, that is a fantastic idea. I’ve never tried it but it seems like it work just fine! Next time we have some leftover cake, we’ll give it a shot. If you do it before then, please let us know how it goes.

Claudia 03/30/2012 at 12:54 pm

Hi Chica & Jo, Thanks for these wonderful easter ideas. I wanted to know if you have the decorations that you have on the egg carton (I am using egg cartons as easter baskets for the children at our egg hunt)

Thanks!

Chica 03/30/2012 at 2:46 pm

Claudia, the egg carton decorations are available for download in our Easter egg carton label tutorial.

Yvonne Courtney 03/02/2014 at 11:39 am

Hi
    what a lovely idea
    going to have a go myself
    thanks
    yvonne

Kelly ward 04/18/2014 at 2:32 pm

The peanut butter works great if you add it too powered sugar first. I use devil food cake mix and then use the peanut butter mixed with powered sugar it is great