Custom crayon box invitation

by: Chica

Custom crayon box invitation

Every since Jo came up with her crayon party invitation idea, where she made customizable labels to add to regular crayons, I’ve been wanting to make a template for a custom crayon box to put them in. I finally got around to it, and I want to share it with you.

The template I made for this project is in Microsoft Word format, and the text is completely customizable. Once you’ve downloaded the Word template, just click on the text areas and edit the sample text. You can customize the box with your child’s name and age on the front, and add all the party details on the back.

Download our Crayon Box Invitation Template

When you have the template customized just the way you want it, print it onto white cardstock. You’re also going to need 8 crayons for the box (we suggest buying a 64 pack and splitting it up). You might want to dress them up with Jo’s custom crayon labels or you can leave them as they are.

custom crayon box template

Cut the box out along the black lines. Be sure to cut in on the notches at the top and bottom of the box, but only cut as far as the black lines go.

custom crayon box templatecustom crayon box template

After you cut the box out, fold it along all the thin white lines (a bone folder makes this easier).

custom crayon box templatecustom crayon box template

There’s only one place on this box that needs adhesive, and that’s the long flap attached to the back of the box. You can use any double-sided tape or adhesive you like, but for stuff like this, I like to use a strip of the double-sided tape sheets that we sell in our Amazon store. After sticking it in place, you just peel away the red liner to expose the adhesive on the other side.

custom crayon box templatecustom crayon box template

The easiest way to line up the flap to form the box is to start by folding the back of the box over so that it does NOT cover the flap, then fold the flap over top and press down. This should line it up perfectly.

custom crayon box templatecustom crayon box template

Now you can just fold in the bottom flap and your box is ready to fill.

custom crayon box templatecustom crayon box template

custom crayon box template

Isn’t that one of the cutest invitations you’ve ever seen? It’s perfect for an crayon-themed party for the kids or for any art-themed event.

custom crayon box template

custom crayon box templatecustom crayon box template

custom crayon box template

Custom crayon box invitation

sarah fisher 04/07/2011 at 10:26 am

OMG!!!! thank you I love this!!!!

tammyk 04/07/2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh, how cute is that?! I wish I’d had this when my daughter was younger, for her “color” birthday. Great for an invitation or party favors!

Shauna 04/07/2011 at 5:09 pm

Love this, great idea for a Birthday Art Party. Thanks! This may need to get featured on my blog (with lovely link backs of course) ;)

marlene 04/07/2011 at 5:12 pm

the crayon box and wrappers is just the greatest ever, thank you soooooooooooo very very much
    I will treasure it for ever.

Chica 04/07/2011 at 6:19 pm

Ladies, thank you all for the nice comments about this project! Shauna, we’d love to be a part of your blog :)

belle 04/10/2011 at 7:49 pm

Fabulous project! Thanks very much for sharing it.

Kristina M 04/18/2011 at 9:35 pm

Haha!! I’m twelve years old and my birthday day is next month and IM even going to use this!!! Thanks :D

Chica 04/19/2011 at 6:50 am

Kristina, we’re so glad you like this idea enough to use it for your birthday. I took a quick look at your blog and you have great writing skills. I’m quite impressed with your dedication to protecting the environment, especially at such a young age. Have you seen our green project ideas? Hopefully one or two of them can inspire you. (P.S. The Chevy Volt is really amazing, but I’m a Nissan Leaf gal myself!)

Emily 04/19/2011 at 10:32 pm

this is so cool! i’m 13 and i want to use this! i might use it for my end of the school year party! i made chunky crayons and i think this will be so much fun (and all my friends will enjoy it!) thank you so much!!! =)

Chica 04/20/2011 at 6:42 am

Sounds fun, Emily. Have a great party!

Vicky 04/24/2011 at 12:17 am

Question, will this template work for the pretezls too?

Chica 04/24/2011 at 10:20 am

Vicky, this box is sized to fit regular crayons. The chocolate covered pretzels we shared with you before would be too big to fit.

Tamara 04/26/2011 at 7:54 pm

This is fantastic. I will use them for one of my end of the year gifts to my preschoolers.

Chica 04/26/2011 at 7:58 pm

What a great idea, Tamara!

Gladys 05/13/2011 at 6:14 pm

Do you think I can modify it and make a smaller box from this so I can put in 4 crayons since my son is turning 4? his party is not until february but i already have centerpieces and about 100 boxes of crayons bought last year at walmart back to school special lol…

Chica 05/14/2011 at 7:14 am

Gladys, you can try modifying it, but why not just put 4 crayons in the full-size box, so that it still has the look and size of a real crayon box? Kudos to you for your fantastic planning ahead skills :)

Tracy 07/12/2011 at 3:40 pm

I just had an art party fo my daughter. These would have been fabulous as the invites. Oh well, I have other ideas on how to use them.

Laura DeLuna 09/21/2011 at 1:19 pm

I love this idea and plan on using for my daughter’s 3rd Birthday, how did you make the box for the pretzel crayons??? I love them!!!!

Jo 09/21/2011 at 3:15 pm

We did not design the box used in the pretzel crayons we shared with you previously. One of our readers, Kathy, made hers using a box template from this site. But you can definitely use our template in this post to hold regular crayons!

Nini Scrap 10/16/2011 at 9:03 am

Thanks for sharing this proyect!!

Kathy Owens 10/21/2011 at 9:45 am

My older sister Sharon LOVES crayola crayons and always has. We tease her about it — but she has every sort of crayon product they make! So, for her 69th birthday we’re preparing invitation boxes and crayons for everyone. She’s going to be so pleased, and we’ll have a great time seeing her surprise! Thank you so much.

Chica 10/21/2011 at 4:20 pm

What a perfect match, Kathy!

kayveebee 12/05/2011 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the idea! Our party was a hit. Details and ideas are here on my blog:

Vanessa 01/24/2012 at 12:22 pm

really good ideas congratulation and thank-you for the tips…

Gladys 01/25/2012 at 11:43 pm

Hi, I have a question I hope you all can help me…I am using this template to create my son’s invitations but since I did not want to waste so much ink I thought of printing it on yellow paper and only using green ink for the details…i have tried to ‘remove’ the yellow color from the word document image but no success…will i be able to do that? thanks so much!

Chica 01/26/2012 at 7:20 am

Hi Gladys. It’s very clever of you to try printing on yellow paper to save on ink. I’ve created another version of our template for you with the yellow removed, and you can download it here. I’m not sure how good the green and red printing will look on top of the yellow paper, but give it a shot and let us know how it goes!

Gladys 01/26/2012 at 9:24 pm

Yay!! Thanks so much!!
    I thought the same thing about the red n the green…I’m hoping I can adjust the colors so it can print correctly…we’ll see how it goes…I’ll let u all know very soon! Thanks again!!

Cristina 01/27/2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi there I love this idea and was going to use them for my wedding, is there any way to change the colors so that I can get them to match my wedding colors?
    Thanks in advance!

Gladys 01/27/2012 at 6:25 pm

I just printed out a copy using the blank template n i think it looks pretty good…the red comes out perfect…u can’t really notice any difference the light green is good too…the only one that it’s a bit dark is the dark green…perhaps one shade too dark but i think it works…:) thanks so much for ur help!! where can i send u a pic? or upload the copy?

Trae 01/28/2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi, I love this idea and will be using it for my daughters 3 birthday, Ita a zoo theme party but these will be the thank you gifts! Love it!!!

Chica 01/28/2012 at 9:35 pm

So glad it worked out for you, Gladys! If you have a Flickr account, you can upload a picture to our Flickr group for reader photos. If not, you can email it to us at and we can post it there for you.

Chica 01/28/2012 at 9:46 pm

Cristina, that sounds like a fun idea! Our template’s box colors are not editable. We designed it to look like a traditional crayon box, thus the yellow and green. You might try cutting one out and tracing it onto other colors of cardstock?

Monette 02/05/2012 at 12:46 am

This is such a great template! We used it to make a birthday card to go with the Crayon monogram we made for my daughter’s Pre K teacher.

Now we’re using it as Valentines for her Kindergarten class. It’s holding her repurposed heart shaped crayon.

On the back we added a note about the book, “The Crayon Box that Talked”.

Hopefully you can see the picture:

Chica 02/05/2012 at 9:45 am

Love the picture, Monette. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon > 02/23/2012 at 4:01 pm

I made these invitations for my son’s second birthday party. They turned out so cute and what compliments I got on them. Thank you!!!!!

Trisha 03/27/2012 at 2:47 am

I LOVE this! I’m graduating with my degree in Child Development, and I wanted to make invites that are more focused on my major! I am definitely using this template to make invites! :) Thank you!

Chica 03/27/2012 at 7:01 am

Trisha, we love seeing people come up with unexpected uses for our projects, and you’ve certainly done that. Congratulations on your degree and best of luck in your career!

Coleen 04/04/2012 at 9:04 am

i have a really silly question…….. how do you mail these invitations?? I am looking to do this for my daughter’s 2nd birthday and I love the idea!!

Chica 04/04/2012 at 2:33 pm

Coleen, I would recommend putting the box into a small bubble mailer and sending it via regular USPS First Class Mail. Be sure to weigh it at the post office so that you put the correct postage on it.

RhayRenna 07/17/2012 at 3:59 pm

I love this! I am going to customize this as favors for children at my wedding!! :)

Heidi 08/10/2012 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for the fantastic template! It’s perfect.

Belisha 08/13/2012 at 12:37 pm

So I am trying to print these cute invites and I’m having an issue. Not very computer savy! How do you get the wording on top of the crayon box??

Chica 08/13/2012 at 12:40 pm

Belisha, when you download the template, be sure to open it in Microsoft Word. Then you can click on any of the default words in the template, which will make an outline appear around them. Then you can edit the text there to be whatever you like.

Belisha 08/13/2012 at 3:03 pm

I downloaded it in Microsoft word. Then I had 2 boxes appear where I can put my information in and below that is another box with the crayon box. How do I get my wording inside the crayon box? I’ve tried copy and paste and that doesn’t work. Sorry, like I said I am horrible when it comes to computers:(

Chica 08/13/2012 at 3:07 pm

Belisha, I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble. To change the name, click right on the word “NAME” in the template, between a couple of the letters. You should see a cursor (a vertical line) appear wherever you clicked. Then use the “backspace” and “delete” keys to remove the characters that are there by default, and type in your own instead. When you have that looking right, move on the other areas of text (“is turning”, “8”, etc…). Hope that helps!

Belisha 08/13/2012 at 4:34 pm

Yes, I have all of my information in the boxes. But the info doesn’t appear in the crayon box. When I print I have 2 sheets. One is my info and the other is a blank crayon box. I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong?

Belisha 08/13/2012 at 4:44 pm

Omg! I just opened it up on my iPhone and it’s totally different! The info is actually in the crayon box! I just emailed it to myself so hopefully I can make it work on my home computer! Thanks for your help:)

Belisha 08/13/2012 at 8:40 pm

Nope it is still not opening right:( looks like I’m going to have to find something else. Thanks for your help.

Chica 08/14/2012 at 8:19 am

Belisha, I’m so sorry you’re still having trouble. I’m afraid I’m out of ideas without actually looking at the template on your computer. If you got different results on your phone, maybe there’s an issue with Word on your computer? Perhaps you can try on a friend’s computer?

cindy 01/24/2013 at 12:41 pm

This is so adorable but I can’t get it to download right. All that comes up is the front of the box template. What am I doing wrong?

Chica 01/24/2013 at 1:22 pm

Cindy, when the template opens, perhaps you have it zoomed in, and are only seeing a portion of the page? Try to see if you can zoom out or “fit to screen”.

Susy Q 03/06/2013 at 9:40 pm

Great idea! Thank you! Just what I wanted for my college graduation invites (graduating with an education degree)!!

Candace 04/29/2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you for this great idea! Question! Did you hand deliver these or did you put the invitations in the mail? I want to mail mine but im not sure how this will work? Thanks

Chica 04/30/2013 at 4:29 pm

Candace, if you want to mail these, I suggest using a small bubble envelope to help keep them from getting damaged in the mail.

kaleign 08/19/2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi! it’s not working on my end! :( it doesnt open… help! :(

Chica 08/19/2013 at 7:30 pm

Kaleign, the invitation template requires Microsoft Word in order to open. Do you have that on your computer?

Susan 09/28/2013 at 9:02 am

I was looking for a cigarette box for a 50’s banquet to put in the sleeve of 5 band kids shirts and thought crayons are about the same size. This is going to work great. I am using it as table decorations and to put in their shirt sleeves, with the names of our musicians and the banquet information for our community service club.

IB 12/02/2013 at 4:38 pm

I love these. I am using them as favors for my son’s 3rd birthday. I’m giving away coloring packs and the packs of crayons. I glued an umi-car to the front and used the wording “thanks for making my 3rd birthday umi-rrific!” I cant’ wait to see the kids’ reaction

Suzbert 08/04/2014 at 11:28 pm

How big a strip of the double-sided tape do we need? Does it need to fill the entire side tab? And what is the best way to cut the size/shape needed from the tape sheets you sell?

Chica 08/05/2014 at 5:21 pm

Suzbert, the size of the tape doesn’t really matter, as long as you use enough to get a secure hold. Our double sided tape sheets cut easily with regular scissors, as long as you cut it BEFORE you peel off the backing :)

Dawn Marie 01/10/2015 at 7:22 pm

Just a quick word about Word (pardon my pun, I couldn’t resist). I am a Mac user and do not have the MS Office package installed. The Mac version of Word – Pages – worked wonderfully. Only one change was needed in the Page Setup to change to landscape. My invites for my 4 year old’s upcoming birthday came out AMAZING! I can’t wait to send them out!
    Thank you!!!

Heidi 01/21/2015 at 6:58 pm

This is one of the greatest invitations I’ve ever found! Thanks a lot!

Chica 01/22/2015 at 7:23 pm

So glad you like it, Heidi!

tomasine 11/17/2015 at 6:50 pm

I absolutely love love LOVE this idea!!!