Monster repellent spray Posted by Chica
March 7, 2011

Downloads

My niece has always been a fan of scary and gross things, so she never really thought much about those mischievous, imaginary monsters that sometimes lurk under kids’ beds. Unfortunately, all that changed recently when she spent the night with a friend whose older sibling decided to share a really scary video with the girls. Squirt’s imagination set loose and her parents had quite a month on their hands dealing with the newcomer monsters at bedtime every night.

No amount of reassurances that monsters don’t exist or viewings of Monsters, Inc. would convince Squirt that her room was safe. Her daddy came up with an idea to make Monster Repellent Spray, and enlisted my help. The idea was that a clever label would turn an ordinary can of air freshener into a magical, anti-monster spray that she could use to protect her room before going to sleep. It was a great idea, and he just needed the label. I got right on it!

I designed a cute label that helps makes monsters seem less scary, and of course I’ve got it as a download for you! Just print our Monster Spray Label onto a sheet of sticker paper and grab a can of spray air freshener.

monster repellent spraymonster repellent spray

Next, you’ll need to cut the label out to fit your can. Cut it to the size you need, but leave one side untrimmed. (I’ll tell you why in a minute.) Peel the back off the sticker paper and center it on the can.

monster repellent spraymonster repellent spray

Stick the label down to the can, but do the side with the extra long piece on it first. That way, when you stick the trimmed side down, it will overlap the white and you’ll get a nice finished edge with no gaps.

monster repellent spraymonster repellent spray

That’s all there is to it. You now have an adorable can of great-smelling Monster Spray that will let your little one keep those scary guys away for sure!

monster repellent spray

The Monster at the End of This Book
P.S. I can’t let a post about monsters go by without mentioning my absolute favorite book when I was a child — The Monster at the End of this Book, featuring lovable Grover. Oh how I loved reading that book over and over! I still have a copy of it on my bookshelf today :)

1. Carrie said: (March 7th, 2011 at 2:16 pm)

I think this is such a good idea…however, to add to the Monster spray, if you wanted to really help your child sleep I reccomend Lavender Scented Spray. Here’s why…

In folklore, pillows were filled with lavender flowers to help restless people fall sleep. Scientific evidence suggests that aromatherapy with lavender may slow the activity of the nervous system, improve sleep quality, promote relaxation, and lift mood in people suffering from sleep disorders.

2. rachel said: (March 7th, 2011 at 2:37 pm)

A little essential oil in a spray/mist bottle of water would work, too, without the chemicals in room freshener that may not be all that healthy. When/if my little girl gets scared of monsters in her room, I’ll be trying this out! Thanks for the idea.

3. Beth said: (March 7th, 2011 at 8:02 pm)

I love that book too! We even had it in German and Spanish I think. What a fun one to read aloud to a kid, too!

4. Chica said: (March 8th, 2011 at 7:06 am)

Carrie and rachel, those are great tips! I especially love the idea of just using a spray bottle of water, because then the child can use as much as she wants without having the entire house smell too much :)

5. Lizbeth said: (March 12th, 2011 at 10:06 pm)

What a fabulous idea. And the ideas in the comments are right on target!
    I have to share another “Monster Repellent” idea that an acquaintance with a small child uses. She tells her little girl that the flowers in their garden keeps monsters from coming near the house. Whenever I have extra perennials, I pass them along for the monster barrier.

That book was one of my son’s favorites when he was little. Thanks for reminding me about it. I’ll have to get a copy for my grandchildren!

6. Jo said: (March 12th, 2011 at 11:33 pm)

What a neat idea to have a flower barrier! Hadn’t heard that one before!

7. Vivian said: (March 15th, 2011 at 10:52 am)

Just did the same thing for my grandaughter, but with a twist. It was no more Chicken spray. They live on a small farm and she has this thing with chickens. Worked like a charm and parents get to sleep now.

8. Chica said: (March 15th, 2011 at 11:10 am)

Haha, that is too funny, Vivian! I’m so glad your granddaughter is sleeping easy now :)

9. Rose-Marie said: (March 15th, 2011 at 5:37 pm)

Oh, what wonderful memories this brings back for me! We made monster spray for my youngest daughter years ago, using water and essential oil in an old pump hairspray bottle, complete with label. We started out by spraying her room together, but before long she was brave enough to spray it all by herself. The monsters left our house soon after that, and I kind of miss them (or, more accurately, the cuddles they inspired).

Thanks for sharing this to keep the tradition alive and little ones safe from their fears!

10. Rebecca said: (May 18th, 2011 at 12:26 pm)

My mom used monster spray when I was little!!! I’m 26 now and still have fond memories of that and her “monster dance” to ward off monsters! I’m expecting a little girl now and can’t wait to do this when she’s scared of monsters under the bed :)

11. Jaime said: (May 18th, 2011 at 2:12 pm)

Thank you for the PDF for the monster spray. When my boyfriend recently told me his daughter was having nightmares of scary bears, i told him to make “Bear be gone” spray. I then googled monster repellent and came to this site. Tonight hes going home to make monster repellent in hopes we can get a good nights sleep with no more nightmares.

12. Chica said: (May 18th, 2011 at 4:56 pm)

Rebecca, that’s a sweet memory. Your mom was definitely looking out for you!

Jaime, so glad we had the download that could help you out. Now that you’re here, I hope you browse the rest of our site to see what else we have to offer. We’d love to have you among our readers :)

13. Jaime said: (May 24th, 2011 at 6:21 pm)

Chica,
    I’ve definately been looking through all the other goodies you ladies have here. I am trying to do a cast resin project next.

14. Pam said: (July 21st, 2012 at 1:36 am)

What a great idea!!! I love that book, too – I used to read it to my grandson all the time – it was one of our favorites!!

15. Stacie said: (August 4th, 2012 at 9:12 am)

LOL…yes this can be a great idea but beware it can cause you to stay up more!!! I tried this 15 years ago when a coworker suggested it. He was find at first but then came in got us about every 15 minutes to come respray because he couldnt smell it anymore and was scared the monsters would come back!!! We still laugh about it today. So you might want to try to use something that the scent stays around for a while…like one of the automatic sprayers they have now days :)

16. Chica said: (August 4th, 2012 at 12:53 pm)

Good point, Stacie! Or maybe just use a regular spray bottle of water so that there’s no smell in the first place.

17. PJ said: (November 22nd, 2012 at 4:08 pm)

FYI – A Monster at the end of this book and the sequal Another Monster at the end of this book are available for iphones, ipods, and ipads. I purchased these apps for my grandson and now when we are in the car, Grover and Elmo read the book for him. They are also interactive so the child has to help knock down the barriers in order to turn the page.

18. Chica said: (November 25th, 2012 at 12:32 pm)

PJ, that sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing.

19. Norma said: (December 8th, 2012 at 9:13 pm)

This is genius! I wish I had thought of this when mine were little! I don’t actually remember reading that book as a kid, but it was one of my faves to read with my kids. So cute!

20. Christina said: (December 20th, 2012 at 3:55 am)

Love this idea. And the Monster at the End of this Book is my ALL TIME FAVE! Thanks for posting!

21. Tina Joy said: (January 23rd, 2013 at 12:02 pm)

This is a great idea! Thanks for mentioning the book! I had forgotten about it but a flood of memories came when you mentioned it! I love that book and “Super Grover”! I plan to make a little gift for my grandson with the book and some stay maybe with a picture of Super Grover on the label. I think I have a copy of the book stored somewhere.

22. Chica said: (January 24th, 2013 at 7:16 am)

Lovely gift idea, Tina Joy!

23. Esmeralda said: (March 1st, 2013 at 12:30 pm)

Thank you so much, Ladies! My nephew is 3 right now but I know that soon enough he is going to need this. Both of you are amazing for sharing this with the world!!!

24. Kristine said: (May 26th, 2013 at 4:28 pm)

We use Monster Powder and let our son “puff” his room with lavender scented powder. My husband made a “monsters away” label for it…that suggestion came from our neurologist when one of our issues was that our son was afraid that monsters were in his room at night. As long as he is able to “powder” his room he sleeps fine all night. The only downside, is that the powder does leave a light residew in his room, which a dusting and vacuuming take care of. A small price to pay for a good nights sleep.