DEC
2010

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

by: Chica

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

You guys know that Jo loves to decorate for Christmas much more than the average person does, and she likes to hang decorations everywhere. A tour of her house will show you stockings and wreaths on every door, jingle bells on the tables, and festive touches wherever possible. This year I thought I would make her a really unique decoration to add to her collection, and I thought duct tape would be the perfect medium!

First I made my duct tape version of a classic symbol of the Christmas season — a green wreath with a big red bow.

I started with a simple Styrofoam wreath form and some green duct tape.

duct tape christmas wreath

Then I cut a bazillion little squares of green duct tape, laying them all sticky-side-up on the table.

duct tape christmas wreath

Next, I folded two corners of the tape down on itself, forming a point.

duct tape christmas wreath

I stuck the first point on the wreath, centering it.

duct tape christmas wreath

Then I added more points, overlapping each row of a little bit and staggering them to the left and right.

duct tape christmas wreath

Before long, the wreath was totally covered and looked awesome!

duct tape christmas wreath

Now the wreath needed a bow, so I grabbed a roll of red duct tape. To make the bow, I first made some non-sticky “ribbon”. I cut long pieces of tape and folding them in half — sticky side to sticky side — to create a ribbon that wasn’t sticky at all. I made two pieces, one about twice as wide as the wreath and one as wide as the wreath.

duct tape christmas wreath

The shorter ribbon was for the tail of the bow, so I cut a decorative notch in each end.

duct tape christmas wreath

Then I looped the longer piece into a bow shape and secured with a little piece of tape.

duct tape christmas wreath

Then I pinched the bow in the middle to make it poof out like a nice bow should.

duct tape christmas wreath

I pinched the tail together in the center as well.

duct tape christmas wreath

Then, I held the two pinched pieces together and secured them with a piece of red duct tape wrapped around the middle.

duct tape christmas wreath

I attached it to the wreath with a couple of Zots adhesive dots and it was good to go!

duct_tape_christmas_wreath_13

I just love how this wreath came out! It’s small size makes it look pretty cute hanging on the Christmas tree.

christmas wreath with duct tape

And it also looks cute hanging next to the stockings on the fireplace. This fun duct tape wreath would look good just about anywhere!

christmas wreath craft with duct tape

I had so much fun with this wreath that I was inspired to do more duct tape Christmas crafts. I wanted to see what else I could apply this folded-point duct tape technique to, so I grabbed a couple of Styrofoam cones to make into trees. You might think green tape would be the way to go here, but I wanted something more modern and fun, so I grabbed some red and white duct tape.

duct tape modern christmas trees

The first thing I did was cover the bottom of the cones with white tape so that they wouldn’t scratch whatever surface I set them on later.

duct tape modern christmas trees

Then I used the same technique as I did with the wreath, creating little squares of red and white tape and folding the corners in to make a point. I had little tape pieces everywhere!

duct tape modern christmas trees

I started with a red point that I lined up so that it just came to the bottom of the cone.

duct tape modern christmas trees

Then I put another one next to it, then another, until I had a row of red going all around the base of the tree.

duct tape modern christmas trees

I repeated the same steps but with white tape, making sure to center each white piece over a red one, to create a chevron pattern.

duct tape modern christmas trees

I continued, row after row, alternating the colors between red and white, until the tree was covered. Duct tape is so easy to work with on this project because it sticks so well but is also totally removable if you need to adjust it.

duct tape modern christmas trees

I absolutely love how they came out! They would’ve looked cute in all green, too, but I really dig the candy cane look.

chevron christmas tree craft with duct tape

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

Sheryl 12/16/2010 at 9:20 pm

Must say, I love duct tape, and I love the wreath and trees. I am wanting to redo a bedroom at the house in pink and zebra print. I have pink duct tape and zebra print duct tape, might see what I can do with the 2.

Jo 12/16/2010 at 10:47 pm

Sheryl, you could definitely make some custom art by covering a canvas with a neat design. Or, just do the picture frame and put black and white family photos inside. You could cover a lamp base, tray, candlesticks and even a shelf! What fun!

marlene 12/31/2010 at 5:41 pm

Wow I idn’t know duct tape came in so many colors
    thanks Marlene

Abi 09/25/2011 at 9:01 pm

this is sooo cute! i love them… the wreath was a little confusing at first but then i started to get it and it turned out great! do u have any other ideas with duct tape? i love using it! thanks u guys!

Chica 09/26/2011 at 7:10 am

Abi, I’m so glad you liked this project! We’ve done a few other fun duct tape projects, like our duct tape flip-flops and duct tape Easter basket. We also discovered that you can cut duct tape in a Cricut, and have used that technique to decorate Halloween trick-or-treat buckets and beach buckets.

Abi 09/30/2011 at 8:35 pm

Im doing a craft show next week and I was wondering if you had any other quick easy ideas… i looked at the flip flops and buckets and theyre so cute!

Chica 10/01/2011 at 11:52 am

Abi, we’ve got far too many projects to list! Take a look around our site and I’m sure you can find more inspiration :)

Kara 11/09/2011 at 1:30 pm

HI,
    I am going to try your wreath and cone ideas with my Girl Scouts. Could you tell me approximately how much tape you used for each project, so i can figure out how much needed for 16. Thank you!

Chica 11/09/2011 at 6:57 pm

Kara, I wish I knew how much tape I used, but I don’t. I can tell you that I used less than one roll of each color for this project… maybe half of each roll? That’s the best guess I can give ya. Have fun with the Girl Scouts, and we’d love to see what you all create!

Daisy 11/13/2011 at 7:52 pm

thank you i loved it!!!!

Bailey 11/27/2011 at 12:52 pm

What is duct tape?

Chica 11/28/2011 at 9:05 am

Bailey, duct tape is an incredibly sturdy tape that’s similar to fabric in its durability and flexibility. It’s very sticky one one side and smooth and shiny on the other. Originally intended for taping seams in your house’s duct work, it is so versatile and sturdy that it has evolved into a must-have for any household. With the advent of different colors of duct tape, crafters have swarmed to it!

maggie 12/15/2011 at 7:07 pm

this is ah-maz-ing!!!! I love this craft! do you mind if i post this or link this on my blog? I’m a duct tape lover myself actually. :)

Chica 12/15/2011 at 8:32 pm

Maggie, we’d love for you to mention this project on your blog and link to us!

Celi Modelski 08/26/2012 at 3:31 pm

Muito linda e fácil de fazer! Obrigada por compartilhar! Beijos!

hannah 12/15/2012 at 12:29 pm

hey u should have more christmas ideas

savannah 12/20/2012 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for the idea! Loved it…. U saved my day

cassie 12/22/2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi, do you have anything else in mind to use instead of styrophome cones and wreaths

Chica 12/23/2012 at 1:36 pm

Cassie, you could make the wreath with cardboard instead. Cut circles out of cardboard and stack them up until you get the desired thickness. For the trees, it’s hard to find a cone shape that’s not made of Styrofoam, but you may be able to twist a piece of poster board into a cone shape and tape it shut. I’ve never tried either of these methods, so if you do, please let us know how it comes out for you.

Soncie22 12/03/2014 at 12:38 pm

Amaziiiing!!! In fact, it was such an amazing idea that I actually created something similar for my office!! Well played ladies!

...we're sorry, but comments are closed for this post...