DEC
2010

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

by: Chica

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

You guys know that Jo loves to decorate for Christmas much more than the average person does, and she likes to hang decorations everywhere. A tour of her house will show you stockings and wreaths on every door, jingle bells on the tables, and festive touches wherever possible. This year she wanted to do some extra decorating in the kitchen, but since anything in the kitchen has the potential of getting food/grease/etc on it, she really wanted something durable. We thought for a bit and decided to make a decoration out of duct tape, which is really easy to wipe clean.

She decided to make a wreath to hang in the kitchen, so she gathered together a simple Styrofoam wreath form, some green duct tape, and non-stick scissors. Then she cut the tape into pieces as long as the tape was wide, forming a square.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

Next, she folded two corners of the tape down on itself, forming a point.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

Then she put the piece of tape onto the wreath. She continued these steps over and over, overlapping each row of tape points a little bit and staggering the points. Pretty easy, right?

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

Before long, the wreath was totally covered and looked awesome!

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

Next, the wreath needed a bow, but Jo had previously loaned me her roll of red duct tape, so she handed the wreath off to me to finish. Don’t you just love tag-team crafting? To make the bow, I cut a long piece of tape and folded it in half — sticky side to sticky side — to create a ribbon that wasn’t sticky at all. Then I looped that ribbon into a bow shape.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

I made another piece of tape “ribbon” and cut a decorative notch in each end. This would be the tail ribbon for my bow.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

Then I pinched the bow in the middle to make it poof out like a nice bow should. I pinched the tail together in the center as well.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

I held the two pinched pieces together, secured them with a piece of red duct tape wrapped around the middle, and attached it to the wreath with a Zots adhesive dot.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

Pretty neat results, don’t you think?

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

I love how it looks hanging on the pot rack in my kitchen. And if it gets spaghetti sauce splashed on it, it’s so easy to clean!

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

It also looks good on a closet door. I am not sure I’m going to give this wreath back to Jo, actually.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

Making the bow for Jo’s wreath was so much fun that I wanted to do more. I wanted to see what else I could apply the duct tape technique to, so I grabbed a couple of Styrofoam cones so I could make some trees. You might think green tape would be the way to go here, but I wanted something more modern and fun, so I grabbed some red and white duct tape. The first thing I did was cover the bottom of the cones with white tape so that they wouldn’t scratch whatever surface I set them on later.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

Then I used the same technique Jo did for creating little squares of tape and folding the corners in to make a point. I had little tape pieces everywhere!

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

I started with a red point that I lined up so that it just came to the bottom of the cone. Then I put another one next to it.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

When I had the red points going all the way around the cone, I switched to white and did another row.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

I continued, row after row, alternating the colors between red and white, until the tree was covered. Duct tape is so easy to work with on this project because it sticks so well but is also totally removable if you need to adjust it.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tapeChristmas crafts with colored duct tape

I absolutely love how they came out! They would’ve looked cute in all green, too, but I really dig the candy cane look.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

The trees look great on my mantle. Next year, I may make a few more in different sizes to add to the collection. A little forest of duct tape trees, nestled in a some fake snow, would look really neat in the center of a large table.

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

Christmas crafts with colored duct tape

Sheryl 12/16/2010 at 9:20 pm

Must say, I love duct tape, and I love the wreath and trees. I am wanting to redo a bedroom at the house in pink and zebra print. I have pink duct tape and zebra print duct tape, might see what I can do with the 2.

Jo 12/16/2010 at 10:47 pm

Sheryl, you could definitely make some custom art by covering a canvas with a neat design. Or, just do the picture frame and put black and white family photos inside. You could cover a lamp base, tray, candlesticks and even a shelf! What fun!

marlene 12/31/2010 at 5:41 pm

Wow I idn’t know duct tape came in so many colors
    thanks Marlene

Abi 09/25/2011 at 9:01 pm

this is sooo cute! i love them… the wreath was a little confusing at first but then i started to get it and it turned out great! do u have any other ideas with duct tape? i love using it! thanks u guys!

Chica 09/26/2011 at 7:10 am

Abi, I’m so glad you liked this project! We’ve done a few other fun duct tape projects, like our duct tape flip-flops and duct tape Easter basket. We also discovered that you can cut duct tape in a Cricut, and have used that technique to decorate Halloween trick-or-treat buckets and beach buckets.

Abi 09/30/2011 at 8:35 pm

Im doing a craft show next week and I was wondering if you had any other quick easy ideas… i looked at the flip flops and buckets and theyre so cute!

Chica 10/01/2011 at 11:52 am

Abi, we’ve got far too many projects to list! Take a look around our site and I’m sure you can find more inspiration :)

Kara 11/09/2011 at 1:30 pm

HI,
    I am going to try your wreath and cone ideas with my Girl Scouts. Could you tell me approximately how much tape you used for each project, so i can figure out how much needed for 16. Thank you!

Chica 11/09/2011 at 6:57 pm

Kara, I wish I knew how much tape I used, but I don’t. I can tell you that I used less than one roll of each color for this project… maybe half of each roll? That’s the best guess I can give ya. Have fun with the Girl Scouts, and we’d love to see what you all create!

Daisy 11/13/2011 at 7:52 pm

thank you i loved it!!!!

Bailey 11/27/2011 at 12:52 pm

What is duct tape?

Chica 11/28/2011 at 9:05 am

Bailey, duct tape is an incredibly sturdy tape that’s similar to fabric in its durability and flexibility. It’s very sticky one one side and smooth and shiny on the other. Originally intended for taping seams in your house’s duct work, it is so versatile and sturdy that it has evolved into a must-have for any household. With the advent of different colors of duct tape, crafters have swarmed to it!

maggie 12/15/2011 at 7:07 pm

this is ah-maz-ing!!!! I love this craft! do you mind if i post this or link this on my blog? I’m a duct tape lover myself actually. :)

Chica 12/15/2011 at 8:32 pm

Maggie, we’d love for you to mention this project on your blog and link to us!

Celi Modelski 08/26/2012 at 3:31 pm

Muito linda e fácil de fazer! Obrigada por compartilhar! Beijos!

hannah 12/15/2012 at 12:29 pm

hey u should have more christmas ideas

savannah 12/20/2012 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for the idea! Loved it…. U saved my day

cassie 12/22/2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi, do you have anything else in mind to use instead of styrophome cones and wreaths

Chica 12/23/2012 at 1:36 pm

Cassie, you could make the wreath with cardboard instead. Cut circles out of cardboard and stack them up until you get the desired thickness. For the trees, it’s hard to find a cone shape that’s not made of Styrofoam, but you may be able to twist a piece of poster board into a cone shape and tape it shut. I’ve never tried either of these methods, so if you do, please let us know how it comes out for you.

Soncie22 12/03/2014 at 12:38 pm

Amaziiiing!!! In fact, it was such an amazing idea that I actually created something similar for my office!! Well played ladies!