NOV
2010

How to make a mesh ribbon wreath

by: Chica

How to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Jo’s husband (a.k.a. McGeeky) was browsing some store or other recently and encountered an item that he was sure Jo and I could make good crafty use of. It was a giant roll of sparkly, red, mesh ribbon.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

And when I say it’s giant ribbon, I mean it — it’s 10 yards long and 21 inches wide! When you unroll it, it’s a very pretty and flexible mesh and Jo and I had never seen anything like it before. It was just screaming for something creative to be done to it!

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

As soon as I held the ribbon in my hands, I had an idea on how to use it, so Jo gladly turned the roll over to me. I wanted to make a wreath, so I grabbed my favorite wreath base — an old wire coat hanger.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I stretched the hanger into a round shape, and used my needle nose pliers (my favorite tool of all time) to snip off the hanger’s hook. Then I used some ordinary transparent tape to secure the wire ends into a loop. (If you prefer, you can leave the hook in place and use it for hanging the wreath later.)

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Then I took one end of the ribbon and bunched it up, sort of accordion folding it as I went.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I secured it tightly together with a piece of tape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Then I attached the end of the ribbon to my wire frame with more tape, making sure it was super tight.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I bunched the ribbon up again, about 8 inches from the first place…

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

…and secured it tightly with more tape. If you are having trouble getting the tape to stick or want something more durable, you could also use wire to attach your loops to the hanger.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I attached the taped part to the wire frame, pushing it right up against the first one, so that the ribbon billowed out in a fluffy shape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Once again, I secured it to the frame with tape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Then I did the same thing again, moving out 8 inches along the length of ribbon, bunching it up…

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

…then securing it with tape and attaching it to the frame with more tape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

The second loop squished right up against the first, and they blended together beautifully. I knew I was on to something good!

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

On the back, you can see the tape where I attached each loop.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

As the loops were added, the wreath took on a really fluffy shape that was basically like a giant bow.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I kept on working my way around, keeping all the taped areas as close together as I could get them.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

When the frame was covered in taped bunches, the back looked pretty funny with all it’s taped bunches.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

But I flipped it over and I had a gorgeous, fluffy front! It was easy to adjust the ribbon a little here and there to make a nice shape.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

I love how this wreath came out, and it only took me about 15 minutes to make.

how to make a mesh ribbon wreath

The wreath looks great on the door, and will be a wonderful addition to my Christmas decorations.

UPDATE: I created this wreath back in 2010, when McGeeky gave us that giant roll of mesh ribbon. I had never seen the ribbon before, or wreaths made of it. Now it’s years later, and both are everywhere! I can’t help but wonder if we helped start the trend, or if I just had the same idea a bunch of other people did too. :)

How to make a mesh ribbon wreath

Chica 10/08/2012 at 3:54 pm

I love the pipe cleaner idea, Zuki. Very resourseful!

Louise Stacey 10/14/2012 at 4:51 pm

Thank you sooo much ! This wreath is really pretty . I have looked for several days for a wreath like this . Thanks to you , I now have it … You are a blessing .

Chica 10/14/2012 at 8:28 pm

So glad we could help, Louise!

Elise 10/28/2012 at 9:35 pm

How many yards did it take to make the wreath?

Chica 10/29/2012 at 8:23 am

Elise, I don’t remember how much of the 10-yard roll I used, but I know I had some leftover when I was done. Sorry, that’s as close as I can get to an answer!

Lori 11/01/2012 at 1:30 pm

small zip ties work well, and they are weather proof. Super cheap in hardware sections of your favorite stores.

audyle 11/06/2012 at 3:03 am

bonjour
    superbe idée, je vais essayer pour Noël
    audyle

Loraine 11/07/2012 at 9:56 pm

I saw your beatiful red wreath you made, and immediately got all the material you suggested. I have a problem, though, I cannot get the ribbon to pouf like yours. Could you please tell me (approx.) how much ribbon you used for each pouf to be taped to the base? Also, is there a trick to getting them to be all the same size? Thank you in advance for your help, and a very Merry Christmas to you. Aloha, Loraine

Chica 11/08/2012 at 8:39 am

Loraine, I’m happy to hear you’re excited about this project. I used about 8 inches of ribbon in each pouf, but you may need a different length for your ribbon, depending on what it’s made of and how wide it is. The material might also be what’s making your poufs hard to form. It’s hard for me to tell without being there, but try different lengths to see if you can get good results. To get them the same size, you should use the same length of ribbon for each. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you too!

JoyceKy 11/13/2012 at 9:21 am

I am new to Pinterest and I have a feeling u can get caught up. Love your idea. I have seen several of these here I havin made one yet. I have seen the ribbon at Cracker Barrel this season along with other places that have been mention

Jessica 11/18/2012 at 10:00 pm

Hello, love this project. I have a bunch of wire ribbon but it is 6 inches or less in width. Will it still work well for this wreath?

Chica 11/19/2012 at 8:20 am

Jessica, I’m not sure what results you’ll get with your ribbon, but if you try it out, let us know how it goes!

Jeanetta 11/21/2012 at 8:25 pm

Site is exceptional and I highly recommend it to anyone. The wreath is lovely with lots of compliments.

Mama Georgie 11/23/2012 at 7:51 pm

These r all over southern Louisiana and r very expensive! I bought mesh and I can hardly wait to try it out!

Kailey 11/25/2012 at 6:22 pm

I’m so glad you’ve found an easier way to do this! My mom & I just got 6 new rolls of mesh for Christmas decor & now I know what to do with it!

Mandy 11/29/2012 at 1:33 pm

I have been wanting to make one of these since seeing them 3 years ago! Bought the mesh on sale after Christmas last year, and thanks to your instructions finally made one :-). Took the tip above of using twist ties rather than tape, which meant I could make the loops then push each one tightly against the previous one. My mesh is a plaid design so that made making equal sized loops easier as I could just count along 4 squares each time. One tip I would pass on – if leaving the hook on the hanger, don’t finish your wreath there, as you will have big poufs of mesh, not a lot of space, and a hook that keeps snagging the material ;-)

Chica 11/29/2012 at 2:25 pm

Mandy, that’s a great tip about making sure you don’t start/end where the hook is. Thanks for sharing!

Anna 12/04/2012 at 8:13 pm

Thank you so much for your wonderful instructions ! Can’t wait to make the mesh one. Thanks again and Merry Christmas !!!!

Becky 12/11/2012 at 4:16 pm

Yep, saw this same stuff at Sam’s yesterday, only in gold and wondered what on earth could I do with that…..now I know! Thanks for the idea/instructions! It made a beautiful wreath!

Chica 12/12/2012 at 9:21 am

That’s great to hear, Becky. If you’d like to add a photo of your wreath to our Flickr group for reader photos, we’d love to see it!

peggy 12/19/2012 at 4:37 pm

you can also get the mesh ribbon at hobby lobby when on sale for around 2.75 they also have extra wide too in5or 6 differantcolors

betty scott 12/29/2012 at 3:32 pm

Thank you so much for posting these instructions. I have been looking at different sites to find out how to make esh wreaths and yours was the best…Thanks again

Claire 01/13/2013 at 7:48 am

I am decorating a home for Mardi Gras and was given this mesh for outside iron gates. Thank goodness for your instructions! But for outside I am using black electrical tape to hold up to Galveston’s weather and since the wreaths are going on black iron gates, they will blend. BUT, it took me a LOT more than 15 minutes! They are coming out great but are taking me some time to make. Thank you for your instructions with pictures. They really saved me on this project!

Chica 01/13/2013 at 11:21 am

Glad we could help you out, Claire! The black electrical tape sounds like a great solution for your situation. Hopefully your wreaths will go faster as you make more :)

patricia 02/24/2013 at 8:12 pm

thanks for the directions

kim 03/12/2013 at 10:19 pm

where can i purchase this ribbon mesh?

Chica 03/13/2013 at 12:55 pm

Kim, this mesh is showing up more and more places these days. I’ve seen it in craft stores, box stores, and even in the floral department of my local grocery store.

Belinda 03/24/2013 at 4:17 pm

Found the mesh at Walmart today in purple, white & hot pink for $4.97 a roll. Each roll has 10yds.
    Thanks for the tutorial !!!

amethyst 06/17/2013 at 2:38 am

AH THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. ive been looking for ever to find understandable diractions on how to make these

kim 09/22/2013 at 9:59 pm

Have you made one with two colors.I guess you would alternate on each one. Thanks

Chica 09/23/2013 at 7:14 pm

Kim, I haven’t tried that, but I think you could keep both ribbons going at once and just alternate which one you bunch up to make a loop, like you suggested. If you work it out, we’d love to see your results!

Micki 10/19/2013 at 6:37 am

Thanks for the directions on the wreath. i just made one and it looks great for my first one. I can’t wait to make these for presents.

Jennifer gurganous 10/20/2013 at 7:00 pm

Love the mesh wreaths. Trying to get instructions on how to make them. All of them are beautiful.

Chrisie 11/13/2013 at 7:52 pm

Beautiful Jo,
    You can also use burlap the same way and put a nice plaid bow on it. Makes a nice country rustic wreath.

Becky 11/14/2013 at 9:48 pm

You can use chenille stems, use same color as ribbon so it will blend in

Chica 11/16/2013 at 8:57 am

Great suggestions, Becky!

Evelyn 11/19/2013 at 9:19 am

What a beauty, I will try this one, I have used that ribbon to make giant bows,about two and a half feet across, but great for decorating large spaces.

Adele 11/20/2013 at 11:55 am

You can buy the mesh at Dollarama or the Dollar Tree. This is a great idea,I am going to try this. Thank you for this idea, it really does look beautiful. Rather than using tape you can also use twist ties.

Johanna 11/21/2013 at 5:40 pm

I purchased the 21’GOLD mesh at ,of all places, Cracker Barrel! Been searching for instructions to make exactly what you did. Thanks for your post!!

sheila 11/21/2013 at 7:49 pm

I made a tree using a tomato cage and wired up lights, it turned out very pretty, I love the mesh projects, I am now making wreaths and would love to share my pics

Shelly 11/21/2013 at 10:38 pm

ok!!! I totally made this tonight. ZIP TIES! they slide but it is perfect for adjusting:-)

Chica 11/22/2013 at 7:14 am

Adele and Johanna, great job finding the mesh in unexpected places!

Sheila, we’d love to see your photos. You can upload them to our Flickr account for reader photos.

MINERVA DIAZ 11/25/2013 at 1:32 am

BEEN LOOKING FOR A WAY TO MAKE A WREATH,THANK YOU

Michelle 11/30/2013 at 6:13 pm

Well, it took me longer than 15 mins but THANK YOU!!! I have been wanting one of these and didn’t want to pay the price but until I saw your blog I thought I’d never be able to do one! The steps were so clear and simple! Love my new wreath! I plan to have one for every season/holiday now <3

yolanda 01/24/2014 at 12:51 am

thank you , your instructions were the best.

Vicky 02/06/2014 at 6:31 pm

Wonderful idea that can be used for Valentines as well. Also smaller wreath for candle arrangement.

Chica 02/06/2014 at 6:50 pm

Great ideas, Vicky! We just love versatile projects :)

Kathryn 06/30/2014 at 6:01 pm

I’ve been looking for a tutorial like this! Just found red, white, and blue stripes mesh at Hobby Lobby for $7 today! I’m going to bend a hanger into a long “carrot” shape and try to make an Easter wreath with orange and green! :)

Geneva 10/20/2014 at 2:16 pm

That is so simple an easy to do .Thanks

Patti Banker 10/23/2014 at 7:23 pm

Just bought some mesh at Joann’s Fabrics at 75% off. I bought a variegated brown/orange/ and also a spring green and 2 yellow rolls. Putting those away for spring gifts!! Working on the fall one now. Maybe I will look for a small stuffed pumpkin or turkey I can put on it.