Halloween party game – Witch Pitch Posted by Chica
October 28, 2010

Jo asked me to come up with an easy game the kids could play at her neighborhood Halloween party this weekend, and I was happy to put my thinking cap on and see what I could come up with. As I looked around my craft room, I spotted some very inspirational items. The first was a half bag of candy corn left over from the candy corn bracelet I made. The second was a pile of little plastic cauldrons that we had left over from — believe it or not — a St. Patrick’s Day game that Jo had created. Isn’t it funny how they would work just as well for Halloween?

Surely I could come up with a game that used these items, right?

Witch Pitch - Halloween party game

I sure did, and I called the game Witch Pitch. You’ll see why in just a few minutes. I started by taking a large piece of black foam core board and cutting it into the shape of a witch’s hat.

Witch Pitch - Halloween party game

Then I used a hot glue gun to add a trim to the hat with candy corn.

Witch Pitch - Halloween party gameWitch Pitch - Halloween party game

To outline the hat and make it really pop, I glued 1/4″ strips of orange cardstock around all the edges. This is pretty simple for the straight parts of the hat, but you might think it’s tricky for the curved brim. I have a technique to make it easy, though. Start by tracing the contour onto a piece of cardstock.

Witch Pitch - Halloween party gameWitch Pitch - Halloween party game

Cut along the line with a pair of scissors. Then cut again, 1/4″ in from the first cut, making a strip that’s perfectly suited for the curve.

Witch Pitch - Halloween party gameWitch Pitch - Halloween party game

It looks so much better trimmed, I think.

Witch Pitch - Halloween party gameWitch Pitch - Halloween party game

For the game’s title of “WITCH PITCH”, I cut letters out of more cardstock and glued them in place. (A Cricut would be very helpful here.)

Witch Pitch - Halloween party game

The last step was to hot glue a few of my mini cauldrons in place on the hat. Then, I played for a while and got pretty good at pitching the candy corn into the cauldrons!

Witch Pitch - Halloween party gameWitch Pitch - Halloween party game

You can score the kids based on how many candy corns they get into a cauldron, or you can just let them toss and play with no score. It’s fun either way!

Witch Pitch - Halloween party game

Witch Pitch - Halloween party game

1. Noreen said: (October 28th, 2010 at 9:38 pm)

Very cute idea! And you did a great job designing it, too.

2. Chica said: (October 29th, 2010 at 7:10 am)

Thanks, Noreen!

3. Morgan said: (September 14th, 2011 at 8:38 pm)

this is such a clever idea. I love it!

4. Mel said: (September 24th, 2011 at 8:26 am)

Love this!!! Did you hang this on the wall?

5. Chica said: (September 24th, 2011 at 9:38 am)

Mel, we put the game on the floor. It sure would look pretty on the wall, but I think it would be way harder to pitch the candy into the cauldrons.

6. Kelly said: (October 16th, 2011 at 6:26 pm)

We are doing this for our first ever Halloween party this year! Thanks for a great and cute game!

7. Chica said: (October 16th, 2011 at 6:43 pm)

That’s awesome, Kelly. Let us know how it goes!

8. Erin said: (October 26th, 2011 at 1:40 am)

I am using this for a 1st grade class. Do you recommend taking turns? Like 10 candy corns each? Or would you sit in a circle and have them toss one at a time? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

9. Chica said: (October 26th, 2011 at 7:19 am)

Erin, I think either idea would work. It might keep their interest longer if they went around one at a time, though… otherwise they might want to get up after their turn is over?

10. Beth said: (October 28th, 2011 at 8:54 am)

I think it might be worth noting that candy corn is not considered “nut free.” Our school is nut free & they nixed the candy corn. I’ve got to go try to find some other kind of candy to play this game with! Just didn’t want anyone else to make my mistake…

11. Whit said: (October 8th, 2012 at 1:04 pm)

Just curious as to the how tall and wide you cut your foam board to make the hat? Also, how big are the cauldrons? Can’t wait to make this for my 2nd graders Fall Party! Thanks for sharing this!!

12. Chica said: (October 8th, 2012 at 3:56 pm)

Whit, I made the hat as big as I could with the piece of foam core I had. If I remember right, it ended up being somewhere between 2 and 3 feet tall. The cauldrons are about 3″ wide.

13. Alese said: (October 24th, 2012 at 12:43 pm)

Cute! I blog over at http://www.2crafty4myskirt.blogspot.com/ and this Thursday I will be doing a round up of Halloween treats and party ideas. I plan to include this. Please let me know if you are not ok with that:)

14. Chica said: (October 24th, 2012 at 4:32 pm)

We’re happy to be included in your roundup, Alese!

15. Staci said: (October 30th, 2012 at 11:40 am)

How tall are your letters?
    Thanks so much!
    Staci

16. Chica said: (October 30th, 2012 at 12:08 pm)

Staci, my letters were about one and a half inches tall, but you may need to adjust depending on how big your hat is.

17. Matt said: (October 20th, 2013 at 12:41 am)

We’re making this game for a 4th grade class. Hat is cut out, cauldrons ready, now just need to add the trim. Great idea and easy to follow. Thanks for the step by step!