Candy corn costume Posted by Chica
October 18, 2010

Toolbox

With Halloween fast approaching, it’s time once again to work on costumes. I learned last year while making Little Jo’s costume that fleece is a fantastic material to use on costumes, because it’s stretchy, warm, soft, forgiving, and doesn’t require hemming. I love it! I used fleece again this year to make costumes for the girls, and I want to show you the the candy corn costume I came up with for Jo’s younger daughter.

Making this costume just so happened to coincide with the “costume” theme for the Week 2 challenge at SYTYC. In fact, we won the challenge! We’re honored to have been chosen as the favorite, and hope some of our SYTYC fans are able to use this costume for their own kids.

To make this costume, you’ll need some fleece in orange, yellow, and white. For a toddler, a half yard of each should be plenty, but you may need more for an older child. You’ll also need a dress that fits the child very comfortably. This garment will be an integral part of the pattern. If your child is a boy, a shirt will work fine, but hold a tape measure up to him to see how long to make the costume.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

To assemble the fleece into that familiar candy corn stripe*, you’ll first need to do a little bit of math. Start with the measurement from top to bottom of the dress. In my case, this was 18 inches. Then add three inches to that. For me, that made it 21 inches. Divide that measurement by three to get the height of each stripe. For my costume, that was 7 inches.

18″ + 3″ = 21″ / 3 = 7″

Use fabric scissors or a rotary cutter to cut a piece of each color of fleece with the height you determined above, and a width that’s at least as wide as the dress you’re modeling after.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Now sew the white piece to the yellow piece, and the yellow piece to the orange piece, creating a striped piece of fabric.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Then do it again! You’ll need two pieces of striped fleece. Stack them, right sides touching, on your table and smooth them out.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Use some straight pins on the sides to keep everything stable, and place the sample dress on top.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Use a marker to trace around the dress onto the fleece. Be pretty generous with the shape, especially around the arm holes, so that the child has plenty of room to move around comfortably. You also need to account for seam allowances, so give yourself a little extra fleece to work with.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Remove the dress and pin the layers together all around so they don’t move. Then use your fabric scissors to cut out the arm holes and the neck hole. This is where fleece is so amazing, because you don’t have to hem these cuts at all.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Now use the sewing machine to sew across the lines at the top of the shoulder strap, then cut away the excess.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

By the way, have I mentioned lately how much I love my Singer Futura CE-150? It’s great for complicated embroidery or sewing projects, but it also handles simple projects like this with ease. Man, I really love this sewing machine!

Sew up the seams on the side of the costume and trim the excess. Make sure the bottom of the dress is cut straight, too.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Now just flip it inside out and you’re done.

candy corn costume

Done? What? That was pretty easy, wasn’t it? I gotta give most of the credit to the fleece. Since that went so fast, let’s continue on with some accessories.

A hat would finish this off nicely, so let’s make one. Measure your child’s head and add one inch to that. For my costume, that was 18″+1=19″. Then cut three pieces of felt with that measurement for the width. The white piece should be 5″ tall and the yellow and orange pieces should be 3″ tall. Sew them together in a stripe, just as before.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Fold the striped piece in half, right sides together, and sew the ends together on the side.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Now measure the width of the hat (not counting the seam) and divide that by four. For me, that was 9″ / 4 = 2 1/4″. Put a pin this distance from the left and another one this distance from the right. On each side, sew a row of stitches from the pin down to the place where the yellow and orange fleece meets.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Pick the hat up and squish the white end so that the gap opens up. Pull the top and bottom flaps so that the gap is closed, and you have what looks like a cross shape. There should be no hole in the top anymore. Put some pins in to hold it in place.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Sew a row of stitches on each new flap, going from the center of the top down to the yellow/orange seam. Trim the excess and you should have a nice pointed beanie shape.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Flip it inside out and your hat is done!

candy corn costume

If you’ve got some fleece left, why not add a matching treat bag?

Cut a piece of yellow fleece that’s 18″ x 3″ and pieces of white and orange that are each 18″ x 4″. Also cut a piece of orange that’s 18″ x 1.5″ for the handle. Setting the handle aside for now, sew the other three pieces together, just like you’ve done twice before.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Fold the striped piece over in half like you did with the hat, and this time sew up the side and the bottom. Flip the piece inside out.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

To make the top a little sturdier, fold it in about a half inch, pin in place, and run a row of stitches all around the top.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

Pin the handle to both sides and secure each end with a square of stitches.

candy corn costumecandy corn costume

And now the bag is all done, too!

candy corn costume

Here are the finished pieces of the costume. They all match nicely and weren’t they easy to make? A comfortable sewer can easily whip this out in a half hour.

candy corn costume

Jo put her daughter in a white shirt and orange tights to finish the look, and easily slipped the dress on. MiniMe couldn’t complain over such a soft and comfy costume, and she loved the bag, too.

candy corn costumecandy corn costumecandy corn costume

For the finishing touch, Jo took some of MiniMe’s old shoes that she had almost outgrown and painted them to match with some of the ColorArtz paint that we keep telling you about. Perfect!

candy corn costume

* NOTE: I realized after putting this post together that I actually put the colors in the wrong order! Proper candy corn is supposed to be white-orange-yellow, but I made this white-yellow-orange. Oops! That’s what I get for working from memory. I dunno, I think it looks good the way I did it. Anyway, please keep my mistake in mind as you follow this tutorial, and do it the right way… unless you like it the wrong way, that is!

If you’re looking for more candy corn costume inspiration or accessories, check out these fashionable candy corn tights, this adorable candy corn princess costume, or these shiny candy corn patent leather shoes. I love them all!

candy corn tightscandy corn princess costumecandy corn shoes

1. Lisa said: (October 18th, 2010 at 10:39 am)

Hmm – I wonder if this would work as an adult costume… On the other hand, I don’t sew… so probably not something I should tackle at this time.

2. Jo said: (October 18th, 2010 at 10:48 am)

Lisa, it would work as an adult costume. If you go through our Sewing 101 series, you could easily make this!

3. Baye said: (October 18th, 2010 at 6:58 pm)

Yes! I knew that had to be yours when I voted. Congrats on the win. It was well deserved. It’s not only adorable but so doable (is that a word?).

4. Jo said: (October 18th, 2010 at 9:23 pm)

Thanks, Baye!

5. Jan said: (October 18th, 2010 at 11:02 pm)

Darn! I just knew that one was yours. It was between that one and the panda. Sorry again…lol. Can’t you give us dumb ones a hint?

6. Amy said: (October 19th, 2010 at 6:34 am)

Congrats! I voted for this…absolutely adorable!

7. Chica said: (October 19th, 2010 at 8:30 am)

Jan, don’t apologize. We’d rather you vote for your favorite than vote for ours just because it’s us. Keep picking what you like and it will all work out :)

8. Miss Sews-it-all said: (October 19th, 2010 at 2:24 pm)

Cute, cute, cute! I love it, that is a great project, thanks for sharing the tutorials.

9. Becky said: (October 19th, 2010 at 3:38 pm)

It’s amazing! I voted for your crafts as my favorites!! They really were my favorites. I’m 2 for 2!

10. Kylee said: (October 25th, 2010 at 7:53 pm)

Thanks for posting this – your step by step instuctions withthe photos make it so easy to follow. And MiniMe looks so cute too!

11. Amy Junior said: (November 11th, 2010 at 7:06 am)

aww so cute, my sisters wedding is soon, my daughter, Bethanighah would look great in this dress! :) it’s a Halloween theme wedding!

12. Amanda said: (October 15th, 2011 at 12:47 pm)

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here http://funfamilycrafts.com/candy-corn-costume/

13. Chica said: (October 16th, 2011 at 2:14 pm)

Thanks for the link, Amanda!

14. Mellisa W. said: (October 25th, 2011 at 3:32 pm)

Thanks you! I just made this costume for my 4 yro daughter. It was easy and cute. Great insturctions.

15. Beth L. said: (October 29th, 2011 at 5:15 pm)

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions and pictures… I am not a sewer but I was able to follow the directions easily and never got frustrated.. Thank again and my two year old will look so cute! Do you have more links to others that you have made?

16. Chica said: (October 30th, 2011 at 8:12 pm)

Beth, I’m so happy you enjoyed making this costume for your little one! We don’t have any other costume tutorials right now, but check back in the future, because you never know what we might add :)

17. Kristin said: (October 30th, 2011 at 10:48 pm)

Thank you so much! I made this for my daughter (16 months) and can’t wait to go trick or treating with her tomorrow! My husband requested a matching hat so I also made one for me and him!

18. Chica said: (October 31st, 2011 at 7:12 am)

Hah, I bet you and your husband look great in your hats, Kristin!

19. Brooke said: (August 24th, 2012 at 4:47 pm)

Hi there! This is SO CUTE! I have not sewed since I was 15 years old but I am seriously considering making this for my 21 month old daughter. We are in a very warm climate – I’m worried the fleece will be too hot. What other easy to use material could substitute – felt? Not even sure it would be all that cooler….

20. Jo said: (August 25th, 2012 at 8:56 pm)

Brooke, if you don’t put a top underneath it, the fleece should be cool enough and the fabric is soft enough that you wouldn’t have to have the shirt underneath. Do it with sandals without socks and I think you should be fine!

21. Chica said: (August 27th, 2012 at 8:12 am)

Brooke, I echo Jo’s suggestion. As for alternate fabrics, you could use a lightweight cotton, but then you’ll have to hem all of the edges. The beauty about the fleece is that you don’t have to hem anything, so it makes for a really quick project. :)

22. Brooke said: (September 4th, 2012 at 2:32 pm)

Thanks guys!

23. Brittney said: (September 16th, 2012 at 6:15 pm)

I featured your darling candy corn costume on my website today. Thanks for making me look good. :) The only thing cuter than that costumes is the sweet little girl inside of it!

Britt
    ecofeltcrafts.com

24. Kerri said: (September 28th, 2012 at 2:16 pm)

Thank you!! My daughter will be 3 months old this Halloween and its so hard and expensive to find a costume. This turned out perfect for her and I’m not an expert when it comes to sewing. One piece of advice I will add is make sure the neck is big enough for your child’s head to fit through:)

25. Chica said: (September 28th, 2012 at 3:40 pm)

Good point about the neck hold, Kerri. At least with fleece you can always cut the hole bigger without having to re-hem it :)

26. Georgia said: (September 30th, 2012 at 8:41 pm)

Hello! I am making this for my halloween costume this year. I wanted to know if flannel would work with this project because my mom bought me like 3 yards!

I am sort-of a beginner to sewing so I just wanted to ask if I would need to then hem the raw edges *sigh*.

Thanks you :)

27. Chica said: (October 1st, 2012 at 11:21 am)

Georgia, you could theoretically use any fabric you like, although flannel is quite a bit thinner than fleece, so your finished costume might not “stand up” on the body as well as fleece would. Whether or not you want to hem the raw edges depends on how concerned you are with fraying. I don’t think flannel would fray too much, but I’m not sure.

28. Alison said: (October 9th, 2012 at 2:38 am)

Love this! Made three, one for my daughter and two nieces. I am crazy for candy corns!

29. Chica said: (October 9th, 2012 at 8:18 am)

Allison, I bet the three girls look adorable together!

30. Rebecca said: (October 15th, 2012 at 4:59 pm)

Such a great costume! Inexpensive ($5 for the “dress”), fun, and easy! Made one for my 11 year old and she will pair it with skinny jeans, flats, and orange ribbons in her hair. She wanted to be a candy corn so I’m so glad I found your tutorial. Thank you for the photos and detailed instructions — it really helped!

31. Chica said: (October 15th, 2012 at 6:42 pm)

Rebecca, I’m so happy you enjoyed our tutorial!

32. Bonnie Spielman said: (October 17th, 2012 at 4:20 am)

Thank you for this pattern. I had to use cotton and lots of interfacing(heavy duty)to make the one I made because I am allergic to fleece. I too went Yellow, orange and white from the bottom up and I shaped the bottom curved like the top of the candy corn. I made the hat all white to be the tip of the corn. At first I thought the hat was going to be a challenge but it was a breeze even though I only used one color. I just used you measurement of 3″. I have to say I am pretty proud of it and the little girl (8) loves it. So once again thank you. I will mark your site as a favorite.

33. Chica said: (October 17th, 2012 at 7:24 am)

Thanks for the positive report, Bonnie! Sounds like you were very resourceful with the fabric and made one happy little girl :)

34. Jennifer H said: (September 6th, 2013 at 11:17 pm)

I love this idea and would like to make it for all 3 of my kids, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to do it for my boys….you had mentioned using a shirt as a pattern and that’s where I get lost! Wouldn’t I still want it to be fairly long? Would I make it similar to the dress, but add sleeves? I just can’t quite picture it! I live in MN in a rural area and love the idea of it being such a warm outfit, but not to thick for car seat safety sake!

35. Chica said: (September 7th, 2013 at 10:23 am)

Hi Jennifer! Using the shirt or dress serves two purposes. First, it helps determine the length of the costume. For your son, just get a measuring tape and measure from his shoulder down to where the costume should end, and use that measurement for determining your stripe sizes. Second, the shirt or dress helps you cut out the neck hole to the right size for your child. You can trace the neck hole on the shirt or dress in the same way, per the tutorial. Sleeves are difficult to sew, so I would leave them out completely (let him wear a shirt underneath instead). Just sort of fold the sleeves on the shirt back and draw underneath to create a sleeveless costume. Hope that helps!

P.S. You could always try some of your daughter’s dresses on your son until you find one that fits, and use that!