Zentangle pumpkin Posted by Jo
October 11, 2010
Jo

Zentangle booksA couple of months ago, when I asked you guys for suggestions on a new craft to try, Rachael mentioned Zentangle.  I had never heard of such a thing, but when Chica and I were at CHA Summer 2010 Show, we visited a a Zentangle booth and learned all about it.

Zentangles are basically patterned doodles, and when applied in random styles, they create a really amazing effect. We got to do a little bit of Zentangle at the show and thought is was a lot of fun!  Since then, I have been thinking about a good project to do to share the technique with you.  After teaching my scrapbooking class at Michael’s last Sunday, I noticed the white pumpkins on sale.  Oh, this would be really neat!

Some of the patterns look like they would be hard to do, but the Zentangle pattern books break them down for you in a way that makes them really simple.  You can make up your own patterns as well or alter the ones you see in the books.  There really aren’t many rules when it comes to Zentangling.  Just use your imagination and go!

The only other tool you will need to get started is a micron black pen.  I really do find myself zoning out while doing Zentangles.  It is a great way to relieve a little stress.  If you have a small notebook that you can carry around, you can do Zentangles anywhere for a moment of crafty relaxation!

My white pumpkins look really great with the black Zentangle designs all over them. I really like the alternative pumpkin color and decoration.

Zentangle pumpkin

Zentangle pumpkin

Zentangle pumpkinZentangle pumpkinZentangle pumpkin

Zentangle pumpkin

P.S. Check back next week and you might find us giving away some supplies to create your own Zentangle creations!

1. Laura in 'bama said: (October 11th, 2010 at 10:23 am)

Gorgeous!!!! I LOVE Zentangle!

2. Suzanne McNeill said: (October 11th, 2010 at 1:19 pm)

Your pumpkin turned out great!!

3. Baye said: (October 11th, 2010 at 8:09 pm)

This is cool. How did I miss this? I’m off to check it out. Thanks as usual for sharing great ideas.

4. PatGLex said: (October 12th, 2010 at 11:02 am)

Absolutely love the pumpkin! Although I haven’t done it, I am a fan of Zentangle and maybe this is a way to get into it! You should, if you haven’t already, send a .gif of the pumpkin to the Zentangle people — I’m sure they’d love it!

5. Shelleen Toland said: (October 12th, 2010 at 4:36 pm)

Love the pumpkin.

6. Shelly said: (October 16th, 2010 at 1:30 pm)

I just got a Zentangles book for my birthday this month and I think this is a great project for me to try! Thanks!

7. Carol Hansen said: (October 24th, 2010 at 2:40 pm)

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I’m not a huge lover of halloween but this works for me :)

8. Jill Buckley said: (October 28th, 2010 at 8:20 am)

This pumpkin is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! I think I am going to have to go looking for a white pumpkin of my own today.

9. karen said: (October 28th, 2010 at 2:45 pm)

The white pumpkin is so creative – I love it!

10. mary said: (January 4th, 2013 at 11:59 am)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW FANTAST?C!!!

11. kristie said: (September 2nd, 2013 at 7:30 pm)

I have been thinking of how I can help my art students improve their writing skills, without doing just writing. I have decided to incorporate zentangle as much as possible in projects to make them really focus on making lines and controlling their writing utensil. Thanks for sharing. I love the pumpkins! So elegant!