SEP
2010

Cinnamon candied apple recipe

by: Jo

Cinnamon candied apple recipe

Chica and I have been engaged in a great debate over which is better: caramel apples versus candied apples.  Chica can’t imagine anyone preferring anything on an apple besides caramel.  (This is the same girl who will, at times, keep an open can of dulce de leche on her kitchen counter to swipe a spoonful as a delicious treat from time to time.)  I, on the other hand, grew up with the wonderful fall time treat of cinnamon candied apples.  My parents would take me to the local fruit and vegetable stand every Saturday and when it was apple season, they always had these huge, homemade, cinnamon candied apples for sale.  I would always get one as a treat and they were so big and crunchy that Dad always had to take the first bite so my little mouth could handle eating the rest. Oh, those were so good! My grandmother knew of my love of cinnamon candied apples so she would often make them for me.

Last night, I made cinnamon candied apples so I could share the yumminess with Chica and share my grandma’s recipe with you!  I actually messed up the first time I made it, so watch below for my tips on NOT to do.

Cinnamon Candied Apples
candied apple

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon oil
  • 20 drops red food coloring

Stir together sugar, water and corn syrup in a thick-bottomed pot over high heat until it starts to boil.  Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until a candy thermometer reads 305 to 310 degrees F (hard crack stage).  Remove from heat and add cinnamon oil and food coloring.  Dip your apples in until well coated.  Place on parchment paper to harden.

Pour your sugar, light corn syrup, and water into a thick-bottomed pan and bring to a boil over high heat.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 1

Stir so that the sugar fully dissolves.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 2

Insert a candy thermometer and reduce the heat to medium.  DO NOT STIR at this point.  Continue heating the mixture until it reaches the hard crack stage (300-310 degrees F).  If you do not have a candy thermometer or want an additional test, drop a little of the molten syrup in cold water and it will form hard, brittle threads that break when bent.  (To avoid burning yourself, allow the syrup to cool in the cold water for a few moments before touching it.)

Cinnamon Candied Apples 3

While you are waiting for the candy to reach the hard crack stage, wash your apples and insert your sticks.  You can use sucker sticks, skewers, or popsicle sticks.  Lay out some parchment paper for the apples to harden on later.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 4

When your mixture reaches the hard crack stage, add your food coloring…

Cinnamon Candied Apples 5

… and the cinnamon oil then stir gently to combine.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 6

Tilt your pan to the side to pool the candy mixture and rotate your apple around in it.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 7

Lift the apple and let some of the excess drain back into the pot.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 9

This recipe is enough for six small apples, with a little bit left over.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 10

With the leftovers, I poured tiny pools of the candy mixture onto the parchment paper and added a sucker stick to make cinnamon suckers.

Cinnamon Candied Apples 11

Now, here is what NOT TO DO:

• Don’t remove from the heat too soon or the sugar won’t harden, and you will end up with a sticky coating that will pull out any fillings you might have.
  • Don’t use wax paper.  I did this the first time and the heat of the candy melted the wax paper. Parchment paper works much better.
  • Don’t use too little cinnamon flavoring.  The amount I put in the recipe above is a good amount (and is twice as much as I used in my first attempt).
  • Don’t use too large of a pan or the candy won’t be deep enough to get a good reading on your candy thermometer. Also, it will be more difficult to dip your apples.
  • Don’t use skewers that are too thin.  They won’t hold up to the weight of the apple.

Don’t these look great? I need to go visit Chica to make her try one of my apples!

Candied Apples 7

Candied Apples 8

Cinnamon candied apple recipe

Ddglenn 09/15/2010 at 1:14 pm

Soooo, what does Chica think? Has she changed her allegiance to the caramel variety?

Chica 09/15/2010 at 1:24 pm

I’m still waiting for this supposed apple delivery!

Geri 09/15/2010 at 2:34 pm

THANK YOU, I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY TO MAKE THESE, BUT THE RECIPES ALL LOOKED TO HARD. YOURS LOOKS SO MUCH MORE LESS COMPLICATED!!!!!

Pauline Mills 09/15/2010 at 3:36 pm

By the way my home is on the way to Chica’s house so make sure and drop one by for me.

Noreen 09/15/2010 at 4:41 pm

The first candied apple I ever ate was a Cinnamon Candy Apple, and I was hooked. I LOVE them!! I actually have never tried a caramel apple – never had the opportunity.

Jo 09/15/2010 at 4:56 pm

Mom, your apple is in the downstairs refrigerator!

Chica 09/15/2010 at 5:49 pm

Okay, I got my candy apple from Jo. It was tasty, and the candy had a really nice crunch, but I’m still a caramel fan through and through. Sorry, Jo!

Wanda 09/15/2010 at 7:47 pm

Most people make these with huge apples but small ones are much easier to eat and also easier on your teeth!

Jo 09/15/2010 at 7:56 pm

Wanda, I am not sure if the ones I had as a kid were huge or if my perspective is just different now that my head and mouth are bigger! However, I do like using the smaller apples because it also gives you just the right amount of crunchy goodness.

Pauline Mills 09/20/2010 at 7:48 am

Finally got to try it and the apple was great.

Sarah 09/20/2010 at 5:13 pm

Can you do apple slices? or will the apples brown? Thinking of doing this for my nieces halloween birthday party, but a whole apple will be too much.

Jo 09/20/2010 at 10:20 pm

Sarah, I have never tried to do slices but I imagine if you did them the night before or the morning of the party, they should turn out fine. I would love to hear how it goes if you do try it!

monique 09/21/2010 at 11:35 pm

i just made these to night for my grandma she loves candied apples and i wanted to make something she has not eat in over 5 year she was so happy and wants to make them again thanks for sharing i loved them :0

Jo 09/22/2010 at 9:24 am

Monique, so glad you and your grandmother loved them!

Tiffany 09/27/2010 at 7:40 pm

Do you think any other oil flavors would taste as good with apples? I am not a fan of caramel and I’m allergic to cinnamon. Just wondered!

Jo 09/27/2010 at 8:54 pm

Tiffany, I have never tried other flavors but if I were to try one, I think it would be cotton candy flavor! If you experiment with this flavor or another, please come back and let us know how it turns out. I would add a bit of pink food coloring to this flavoring.

Tiffany 09/29/2010 at 10:52 pm

That sounds good! I was looking on a website and also found the following flavors that I think would be good with apples: cinnamon roll (maybe it wouldn’t be as intense, and for gifts), peanut butter, and cranberry. They also have cheesecake, which sounds delicious, but maybe not with apples :) I plan on trying them as it gets closer to the holidays.

Dawn 03/12/2014 at 12:08 am

I make these candy apple a couple of times a year,
    only I roll the dipped apples in coconut flakes . So yummy.