Butterbeer recipe Posted by Jo
August 12, 2010
Jo

Downloads

UPDATE: I’ve tweaked this recipe based on more research done at Universal. Be sure to take a look at our updated Butterbeer recipe to see the new ingredient!

I’ve been a huge Harry Potter fan since the second book came out and my husband brought it home on the recommendation of a co-worker. I stayed up until the wee hours in the morning with my eyes bugged out so I could finish reading the first and second books. Yes, this was before our kids were in the picture. My husband and I stood in line for all of the rest of the book releases and even named our horses after characters in the book — Dumbledore, Hermione, and Hagrid.

So we were very excited when we had the opportunity this summer to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. We stood in line forever in the sunscreen-melting heat to get inside. We were not alone, either. See the throngs of fans crowded into the streets of Hogsmeade? We had a great time exploring the Three Broomsticks, Hogwarts, Honeydukes and the train station.

Butterbeer recipe

As fun as it was that day, it was also hot. VERY hot. One of our favorite things turned out to be the mugs of cold Butterbeer (a popular drink in the book) that could be had in souvenir mugs for a small fortune. But we paid that fortune, over and over again, just to get more of this delicious and refreshing drink. They did a fantastic job of coming up with a recipe that tastes just like you would imagine it would. Here’s a couple of pictures of the Butterbeer truck at the park. They served the drink two ways — frozen or regular — and despite the name, they were not beer at all, but a delicious, non-alcoholic drink with what we thought was a cream soda base.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

Butterbeer recipeOn that hot afternoon, I preferred the frozen version (a slushie consistency) but I liked the regular drink a little bit better overall. Here’s our friend, Scot enjoying his third (or perhaps fifth?) Butterbeer. They were so addicting!

The mugs were really cute as well. We drank so much we had plenty to give away to friends and family and felt a little silly lugging around the giant bag of them. However, Scot said he much prefers drinking out of a glass than a plastic mug. He looked in the shops for a glass version of the Butterbeer mug but couldn’t find one. This seems like a huge marketing oversight by Universal. Hmmm… perhaps I could make one to go with the Butterbeer recipe that I knew I just HAD to duplicate at home!

But how would I make the mug? First, I had Chica create a Butterbeer logo for me. Then we got some stencils made with the logo, so we could etch the design onto glass mugs. Glass etching is really easy, and I’ll show you how I did it, and I’ll even share our Butterbeer recipe so you can make your own at home. You will love it!

BUTTERBEER MUGS

Butterbeer RecipeI picked out some really pretty glass mugs that I wanted to use, making sure that were big enough for my stencil, which measures about 4″ x 2-3/4″.

Start by thoroughly cleaning your mugs with rubbing alcohol.  Then decide which side of the mug you would like the stencil to appear.  Chica and I actually had a rather lengthy discussion about this.  She wanted the stencil to be placed so that the words would face you when you were drinking the Butterbeer.  I wanted to place it so the words were facing outwards as I drank the Butterbeer.  We thought about doing it on both sides but thought it might look funny.  However, one of our readers sent us a picture of having it on both sides and it turned out great.  Our solution, at the time, was to do one each way so that we both won.  There is no right choice here, just personal preference.

Now VERY carefully remove the white backing from your stencil.  If any blue sticks to the white, press it together again and peel more slowly, until it all comes off and you are left with a blue stencil in one hand and a clean piece of white paper in the other.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

Carefully position your stencil where you want it over your mug.  Once it starts to stick down, it is REALLY hard to move.  I mean it’s pretty much impossible, so don’t do like I did and not realize how close you are to the mug before it is too late!  Lesson learned.  After you have it positioned, gently press it down, smoothing out all the air bubbles and wrinkles.  With a stencil this small, I could just use my fingertips for this process, but you mind want to use a stiff card or bone folder to help you.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

When the stencil is smooth, remove the clear layer of transfer tape from the top of the stencil, making sure all the blue sticks to your mug this time.  Now is the time for the etching cream. Follow the instructions on the back of your cream, since they can vary from brand to brand.  My version said to apply a thick layer of cream and then wait for 3 minutes.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

Once the allotted time has passed, rinse the cream off with hot water.  Remove the blue sticky stencil.  We used a small knife to get the tiny parts off the glass.

Butterbeer RecipeButterbeer Recipe

Glass etching always turns out way cooler than I think it will.  I am so pleased with the design and the stencil quality, and therefore with the end result!  This mug is just begging to be filled with some Butterbeer now!

Butterbeer recipe

But wait, there’s more! We had some new stencils made after that first mug, and these came with all the cut pieces still in place, so you can easily peel away the ones you want to create positive or negative designs.

Huh? What? Well, take a look at the two pictures below to see what I mean.

Butterbeer mugButterbeer mug

See how the mug on the left has the letters peeled away and the area surrounding it still masked with the stencil? By contrast, the one on the right has the letters still there, and the area around them peeled away. These will give you two totally different end results because the etching cream will be exposed to different areas.

It’s easy to do, too. Just put the whole stencil in place, then use an X-ACTO knife to peel away the parts you want to etch.

Butterbeer mugButterbeer mug

PSST: Want some stencils? We have a limited number of the WHITE (not blue) Butterbeer stencils available for sale. You’ll find them listed in our Etsy store. To inquire about larger quantities or for more info, email us at chicaandjo@chicaandjo.com

We really like the look of the design with the clear letters and the area around them etched.

Butterbeer mugButterbeer mug

For those of you who might like the idea of a Butterbeer mug but don’t want to mess around with stencils and etching, we have an alternative for you. We’re put our Butterbeer design on mugs (and shirts and more) at Zazzle, where you can purchase your own and save the crafting for another day.

Butterbeer mug

Now that you’ve got the mugs, it’s time to move on to the best part… the recipe!

BUTTERBEER RECIPE

The ingredients are simple. You will need the following to make two drinks:

Start by measuring your heavy whipping cream into a bowl.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

Next, add your powdered sugar.  Begin to whisk briskly.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

I quickly tired of whisking briskly and asked Chica if she had a container I could shake it in.  She had this perfect little squeeze bottle that allowed me to quickly shake to the right consistency and then dispense the cream onto the top of my drink.  What is the right consistency?  Good question.  You want it to thicken slightly, but still be loose. I shook this until when I squirted a little out of the bottle, it stayed in a nice circle on my finger tip.  It only takes 10-20 seconds of vigorous shaking.  You could also use a stand mixer or stick with the whisk and bowl if you need an arm workout.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

Once your cream topping is ready, add your vanilla butter nut flavoring to your cream soda and stir gently so you don’t get rid of all the carbonation in the soda.

Butterbeer recipe

Pour your flavored cream soda into your Butterbeer mugs (if you made them) or into any chilled glass.  Gently squirt on the whipping cream mixture so that it floats on top (or spoon it on if you don’t have a squirt bottle) in a layer about a half inch thick.

Note that you won’t need all of the whipped cream, but if we had started with less, you would have a hard time whipping it. If you are making several servings at once, only whip half as much cream.

Butterbeer recipeButterbeer recipe

Trust us, it tastes even better than it looks! We would love to hear feedback from others who have tried the original Butterbeer at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Try our recipe and see how you think it compares!

NOTE: I did some more research on a recent trip to the parks and there is flavoring in the cream and very little flavor in the drink. I actually think our version of the soda tastes better than what they served at Universal but I did like their cream better. It even had a slightly bubbly consistency to it that I am currently working on reproducing. I will make sure and add tweaks to my recipe as soon as I can!

Oh, and if you’re looking for an alcoholic version of this drink, stir a couple tablespoons (to taste) of Dekuyper Butterscotch (a.k.a. Butterscotch Schnapps) in to the soda before you top it with cream. The result is fantastic!

Butterbeer recipe

Butterbeer recipe

In case you’re looking to share this recipe with others or put it in your recipe box, I made a nice downloadable recipe card for you.

cold Butterbeer recipe card Download our
Cold Butterbeer
recipe card

BUTTERBEER GIFT BOX

If you’ve got a friend who is a huge Harry Potter fan, we think a Butterbeer set would make a great gift. You can easily fill a basket with a couple of mugs (made with our stencil and tutorial), a bottle of the special flavoring, a couple bottles of cream soda, and our recipe cards, printed onto white cardstock (and maybe even laminated).

In fact, we assembled just such a gift box to be used as a door prize for a private screening of the new Harry Potter movie in L.A. Don’t you love how it looks packaged in a decorative trunk? I know quite a few people who will get one of these for Christmas!

Butterbeer gift basket

BUTTERBEER DISPENSER

And, if you are wanting to throw a party and serve lots of Butterbeer, consider making your own barrel!

Butterbeer dispenser barrel

UPDATE: Hot Butterbeer recipe

But waithot Butterbeer recipe! Are you like many Harry Potter fans who think that Butterbeer should be served warm? Then check out the hot Butterbeer recipe that we developed. It’s so yummy we can hardly resist it. We’ve even figured out just the right thing to add to it if you want an alcoholic version.  This is now Jo’s favorite winter time drink.  Be sure and read the comments below for some more ideas on how to make Butterbeer.

1. CaseyE said: (August 12th, 2010 at 1:14 pm)

Awesome, awesome idea for the mug – and thanks SO MUCH for the recipe, too. It’ll be quite awhile before I can go to Universal Studios for the real deal, so these two ideas will be fantastic substitutes!

2. Baye said: (August 13th, 2010 at 6:41 am)

So nice to hear that another adult is willing to admit to loving Harry Potter. I can’t wait to try this recipe. I know what lots of friends are getting for Christmas this year–Harry Potter baskets with mugs, cream soda, the recipe, and some of those H. P. jelly beans Border’s was selling. I’m off to buy the stencil. Thanks.

3. Chica said: (August 13th, 2010 at 8:28 am)

What a wonderful Christmas gift idea, Baye!

4. Sarah said: (August 17th, 2010 at 11:00 pm)

Thanks! I was at Universal last week and flew back to NY yesterday. I really miss the Butterbeer and can’t wait to try your recipe. It’s Ramadan this month, so guess what we’ll be drinking at sunset? :-)

5. Jo said: (August 17th, 2010 at 11:04 pm)

Sarah, please come back and let us know if you think we got it close! Happy Ramadan!

6. Jonny said: (August 18th, 2010 at 4:35 am)

Fantastic! Have been wanting to try this but cannot see me getting to universal for a couple of years

7. Leah said: (August 21st, 2010 at 3:09 am)

Pretty sure in the books, Butterbeer is supposed to be warm o.O

8. Remus said: (August 21st, 2010 at 10:34 am)

One major problem — Butterbeer of the books/movies has booze in it. They don’t make a big deal of this fact, but if you pay attention, there are plenty of references that prove this.

Nice that there’s a kid-friendly one at the parks, but they should think of the adults as well! :O)

9. Chica said: (August 22nd, 2010 at 9:57 am)

Hi Leah and Remus. Our recipe is modeled after the specific J.K. Rowling-approved drink that is served at Universal Studios. That drink is served cold and is non-alcoholic.

There are lots of interpretations of how Butterbeer should be, based on the books and the many other recipes over the years, but our version is modeled after the one served at the park, which we totally love!

10. Emily S said: (August 22nd, 2010 at 1:43 pm)

@Remus If you’re making it at home, a shot of vanilla liqueur would solve the problem pretty well – in fact, I think Kahlua has the right kind of flavors.

11. Jeff said: (August 23rd, 2010 at 7:05 am)

We just got back form several days at the parks and I was really upset that the lines for both Olivander’s and all the places that serve Butterbeer were really long (It was like 101 degrees outside) So I never got to try it myself- but I am really looking forward to trying the etching AND the recipe, thanks!

12. Monica said: (August 23rd, 2010 at 5:30 pm)

I can see that this recipe would be great for when its hot out, but when I think of butterbeer I think of ‘a hot mug of butterbeer’. I don’t remember it being served cold in any of the books. But I’m afraid that cream soda probably won’t taste very good warmed up.
    So do you have another awesome recipe for hot butterbeer? If you do I’d love to see it.

13. Jo said: (August 23rd, 2010 at 10:00 pm)

Monica, we will work on a version of warm butterbeer for the winter and we are still trying to perfect the frozen kind they also offered. We will share both recipes with everyone as soon as we come up with them!

14. Jo said: (August 23rd, 2010 at 10:02 pm)

Jeff, so sorry you didn’t get to try the butterbeer at the park! What did you think of the Hogwarts Castle ride? Let us know how you like the recipe!

15. Deena said: (August 25th, 2010 at 10:13 am)

Just got back from Universal and bought Butterbeer to make the wait at Ollivanders wand shop easier. I hit the spot,
    ButterBeer at 8:00 AM!(we had early entry to park) It was so good and so cold. It made the wait worth it. My daughter and I cant wait to make your Beer. H.P ride made me a bit sick but the Beer made it better! LOL

16. Rheanna said: (August 26th, 2010 at 9:37 pm)

We went to the park a couple weeks after opening and couldn’t do much because my grop didn’t wanna deal with the people :P but we did get the butterbeer and it was amazing! I have already hunted down the recipe for pumpkin juice too. They were probably the best things I got to do in the park that day. I am planning to go back down when things settle down though.

17. Chelsey said: (August 26th, 2010 at 10:22 pm)

Monica: I have a recipe for Butterbeer that I just LOVE.

1 pint vanilla ice cream
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 qt apple cider
    1 tsp vanilla

Mix ice cream, sugar, and spices together. Re-freeze the mixture. Scoop out into a glass. Pour hot cider over it.

Some recipes call for butter and butterscotch extract. The butter makes it chunky and disgusting and I have never been able to find butterscotch extract. I also found this recipe, but have yet to try it: http://www.sporkorfoon.com/spork_or_a_foon/2010/07/butter-beer.html

18. JRR said: (August 27th, 2010 at 4:37 am)

For a while, a hot butterbeer was run by Borders bookstore. One cold night I asked if I could order one and the manager said no, even though they had the recipe still. I found out from a more helpful employee that it was a milk steamer with caramel and hazelnut shots, and let me tell you it really does taste just like I’d imagine butterbeer to taste, so even if you can’t make it at home you can buy it at your local starbucks if you give them that recipe.

19. joe said: (August 27th, 2010 at 8:09 am)

well while its disappointing that the butterbeer is NA I got to say it still sounds good and harry potter rocks

20. Michael said: (August 28th, 2010 at 5:34 pm)

Good recipe, just made it. Tastes good but seems like there was a taste of butterscotch missing.

21. Jo said: (August 28th, 2010 at 11:29 pm)

Michael, thanks for trying our recipe and letting us know what you thought. If you still have some supplies handy, add a bit more of the extract for a stronger flavor.

22. Bella L. said: (August 29th, 2010 at 11:38 am)

This is really great, thanks! But, in the books, Butterbeer was hot. Is there any way to make it like that, or would one just have to warm it?

23. Micky Kieboom said: (August 29th, 2010 at 4:39 pm)

WOW totally awesome!!! Not only to that you visited the set (only slightly jealous) but that you made the cups and the butterbeer! Will deffinately be trynig the recipe! Thanks a lot!

24. Justine said: (August 29th, 2010 at 5:52 pm)

For alcoholic butter beer, cream soda with a shot or two of butterscotch schnapps in it is delicious. Being in college, we also sometimes ramp it up further with an extra shot of rum. It’s quite nice!

25. Simon said: (August 29th, 2010 at 6:29 pm)

If you want an alcoholic version you could always try a butter beer recipe from medieval Britain (1500′s) – http://historicalfoods.com/68/butter-beer-recipe/ – Like the Harry Potter version it’s usually served warm, though the taste is more like christmas spices (think eggnog!).

26. Angela said: (September 1st, 2010 at 7:54 pm)

Butterbeer was never hot in the books…people are maybe confused because in the books they often FELT warm after drinking it, which I assumed is cause it was supposed to contain alcohol.

Anyways, I just tried the official butterbeer at Universal studios (the frozen kind) and hoooo boy was it ever good! And we didn’t wait in line at all, the butter beer stand just happened to have no one at it. In fact, there was very little waits for anything.. we walked into all the stores, waited 30 minutes for the Forbidden Journey ride and 15 minutes for the other two. We asked a cast member and they said that if you go first thing in the morning you will wait 1.5 hours to get into the area of the park, and huuugggee waits for everything. If you wait a few hours it’s fine. So that’s some advise for anyone who is visiting!

I might try this recipe, but to me the foam tasted very strongly of butterscotch… it doesn’t look like it will in this recipe?

27. Jo said: (September 1st, 2010 at 9:54 pm)

Angela, thanks for sharing the tip on when to visit the park! Please try our recipe and let us know how you think it compares. We thought the butterscotch flavoring was coming from the soda part and not the cream topping. We would appreciate your feedback.

28. Krista said: (September 4th, 2010 at 7:48 pm)

I can’t wait to try this recipe, but I think I will do half cream soda and half root beer. The non-frozen version at the WWoHP definitely had a bit of a root beer tang to it. I, for one, was glad that it wasn’t butterscotch flavored, as I hate the taste of it, nor is it spicy. If you want something spicy, try the Pumpkin Juice! I know some of you think it tasted butterscotch-y, but I didn’t think so at all. More caramel, in my opinion.

And for those of you who have mentioned it, Butterbeer is served both hot AND cold in the books!

29. Adrian said: (September 6th, 2010 at 8:28 pm)

I live in Orlando, and tried this recipe. It’s tasty, but not very close to what it tastes like at Universal Studios. I did enjoy it very much nonetheless.

30. Jo said: (September 6th, 2010 at 8:50 pm)

Adrian, thanks for trying our version. Could you tell us why you think it is different?

31. Chica said: (September 10th, 2010 at 2:43 pm)

Those of you who think Butterbeer should be served warm should check out the new hot Butterbeer recipe we developed. It’s fantastic! (We also figured out just what to add to it to make a great alcoholic version)

32. Gena Mason said: (September 18th, 2010 at 11:43 am)

Thanks for the recipe! Went to the park yesterday (I live here in Orlando) The butterbeers were great, and the lines were not long at all, only 30 minutes for the Forbidden Journey! Getting my ingredients today! Thanks!

33. Chica said: (September 18th, 2010 at 1:09 pm)

Gena, we’re so glad the lines are more under control at the park now. Please let us know what you think of our recipe :)

34. Sean said: (September 18th, 2010 at 7:28 pm)

I tried the butterbeer at the park, then came home and found this recipe the same day. Made it for my wife after her spa day, and the three of use who went agreed that this tasted just like the one at the park. We followed the recipe to a t. Not sure why one would think it’s not the same? VERY big hit, and we’ve had a few repeats. Saving my money for Universal souvenirs next time. :-)

35. Jo said: (September 18th, 2010 at 10:27 pm)

Sean, so glad you enjoyed it! And, you are an awesome husband for making your wife Butterbeer after a hard day at the spa! : )

36. Robert said: (September 21st, 2010 at 9:08 am)

Tried it this morning, i used three separate flavorings though, an almond, butter, and vanilla. May not taste like urs but i quite enjoyed it. Thanks for the idea, made a big mug this morning and boy im full. Have a few harry potter fans coming over in a couple weeks gonna make them a few glasses. Thanks again.

37. Chica said: (September 21st, 2010 at 9:13 am)

Hey, now that’s a tasty breakfast, Robert! :)

38. Chica said: (September 23rd, 2010 at 1:03 pm)

One of our readers, Aaron, bought some of our stencils and used them to make Butterbeer mugs for his wife. He was kind enough to share photos with us, which I’ve posted in our Flickr group here and here so you could all see them. Great job, Aaron!

39. annie said: (September 25th, 2010 at 4:09 am)

I went to the WWOHP and i was so lucky because it opened when i was on holiday! We didn’t wait in the line because it was so long but the second Monday after it opened we went back again and got in! Now here’s a tip…If the que is long go on single rider and there is a slight chance you will get on with your family. Me and my sister waited in line for 20mins and even got on together! Tried the butterbeer there and it was cool. I’m going to try yours next. Thanks. Annie, Glasgow, Scotland!

40. Ricky said: (September 25th, 2010 at 5:58 pm)

I’m really eager to try your recipe, but it can’t be perfect just yet. Last month, my fiancé and I had the privilege to speak with one of the supervisors at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as we sat down for a meal. The only details regarding the recipe that she would spill is that it, per Rowling, is non-dairy. I’m not sure how such an incredible Butterbeer taste can be summoned while keeping it non-dairy, but she assured that it was a fact.

41. Jo said: (September 25th, 2010 at 8:53 pm)

Ricky, I have heard that comment about it being non-dairy from another source. The best we can figure is that they are using a non-dairy formulated mixture to make the “foam” on top that tastes just like heavy whipping cream. We aren’t sure, of course. Please let us know what you think of our recipe once you try it!

42. Pan said: (September 28th, 2010 at 5:33 pm)

Just made a batch of Butter beer. I used IBC creamsoda in its own 12 oz. bottle go figure.anyways it turned out alright, but it may need a pinch of butterscotch to get it just right.While making it I was thinking about the trouble you were having with the frozen butterbeer and it hit me! make the normal butterbeer recipe then pour it into an empty ice tray (doing it right now as I write)the 12 oz. fill up one ice tray, this way you have no water contamination with the drink when you go to blend it up in the blender.Once it is blended pour half in one glass and then the other top with the sugary head and let me know what you think. thanks for the recipe

43. Me said: (October 2nd, 2010 at 2:49 am)

Thanks for the recipe! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go to the park, but now I can have the butterbeer! I’ve made it twice now, and it’s very delicious. Although, I thought that it tasted too much like cream soda. I guess I’ll add more vanilla butter & nut flavoring.

44. Andy said: (October 2nd, 2010 at 8:28 pm)

thanks for the recipe. sounds yummy, cant wait to try it out. could u by any chance suggest an alternative to vanilla butter & nut flavouring cuz im having a hard time finding one in uk. cheers.

45. Jo said: (October 3rd, 2010 at 7:47 pm)

Andy, we haven’t tried any alternatives but we do sell the flavoring in our store and we will ship to the UK. Just drop us an email. We will try to think of an alternate flavoring to add.

46. Tricia said: (October 8th, 2010 at 5:12 pm)

Thanks for the recipe and the mug idea. I’m eager to try it. We just returned from WWOHP. The lines where not bad at all. I do wish I knew about the mug before I spent the $10 on the park one. I am also eager to make the barrel as our Girl Scout troop is doing a Harry Potter fund raiser and I think that would be a great touch. Thanks again.

47. Keelin said: (October 12th, 2010 at 8:00 pm)

Ricky, I was told at the Three Broomsticks that the drink itself is non-dairy but the topping has dairy products in it. My sister asked because she’s vegan, and was very disappointed she couldn’t have any..

48. Brian said: (October 15th, 2010 at 4:43 pm)

Just tried the recipe, and it is spot on from what I remember when I was at the park on October 3rd. FWIW, I used IBC cream soda, as it had the right color :-) , and I also just put the vanilla butter and nut flavoring in the glass first (half portion, since I was just making one serving to try it out), and poured the cream soda over top — that seemed to provide sufficient mixing.

I would also suggest to people that you should make sure the topping isn’t *too* thick — you should be getting some of the cream in each sip you take, and on my first attempt, it was a bit too solid and just floated on top (I was doing the hand shake in a condiment bottle

49. Jo said: (October 15th, 2010 at 4:46 pm)

Brian, so glad you liked it! I have also shaken it a little too long and it ended up too thick. Oops! You should try the hot Butterbeer recipe as well. Nothing like the park but it is so good!

50. Vida said: (October 24th, 2010 at 11:35 am)

I would like to try your delicious recipe, just I don’t know what cream soda is. Could you explain,
    Vida, Slovenia

51. Chica said: (October 24th, 2010 at 12:01 pm)

Hi Vida. Cream soda is a carbonated soft drink that’s sort of similar to root beer, but with a vanilla flavor. It’s usually a golden amber color. Some popular brands are IBC and A&W. Hope that helps!

52. Cameron said: (October 30th, 2010 at 3:32 pm)

Just tried the cold recipe. It was pretty good, but it seemed to be missing something. Also the carbonation seemed to throw it off a bit for me. I haven’t been to the park yet so I can’t say whether this is spot on to what they serve, but I did try heating this recipe and it made it somewhat more enjoyable. I also added the butterscotch topping listed for the warm recipe for a little more flavor. Thanks for the recipe, and can’t wait to see when you get the frozen one down pat!

53. Elena0609 said: (November 2nd, 2010 at 9:09 pm)

We were just @ universal. I got a pigmy puff and named him Arnold, just like Ginny did. a little while ago I had a butterbear and I loved it. anyways I’m looking forward to trying your reciepe!

54. Anna said: (November 4th, 2010 at 8:19 pm)

I read the previous comments and we live in Orlando. We drank the butterbeer there and the creamy topping is indeed butterscotch flavored. I didn’t notice anything in the bottom except for what tasted like cream soda, possibly with a bit of butterscotch flavoring as well, but when they dispense it, it appears to be plain soda to which they add the butterscotch topping. I am going to try your recipe with just one modification (butterscotch in the topping as well) Will let you know how it turns out. :)

55. Jessica said: (November 5th, 2010 at 2:49 pm)

I love your creativity, but you’re quite off on the Butterbeer recipe! I haven’t made yours but having tasted the real one, I know what tastes right and wrong and theres a bit of chemistry you’re missing as well. I came up with a great recipe I need to post to my blog soon.

56. Jo said: (November 5th, 2010 at 5:47 pm)

Jessica, when you do try ours let us know what you think!

57. Albus D. said: (November 14th, 2010 at 1:51 pm)

I have been scouring the internet for a good butterbeer recipe and came across a link to your site while sifting through comments on the Food Network site. I was intrigued and decided to try it. I could not find the extract locally, so my wife purchased it from you. I must say, you’ve earned an “Exceeds Expectations”! I’ve found that adding 1tbs of Butterscotch Kisses Cocoa Mix (acquired from Tastefully Simple) will definitely improve your grade to “Outstanding”. Very close to WWoHP!

58. Chica said: (November 14th, 2010 at 1:56 pm)

Thanks for the great score, Albus!

59. Chelsea said: (November 18th, 2010 at 6:10 pm)

I love that you are out and proud HP fans…my girlfriends and I are pre-gaming 7.1 midnight showing with butterbeer tonight!

60. Kerilynn Snyder said: (November 19th, 2010 at 7:58 pm)

This is awesome I can now enjoy my favorite part of my vacation. But i do have a question. I want to make this for a Christmas party and i’m having multiple people (around 10-12 people) and i was wondering how you would measure out the ingredients to serve 12 people. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!!!

61. Jo said: (November 19th, 2010 at 10:12 pm)

Kerilynn, you can just multiply the ingredient numbers by 6 to get the right amount since the recipe makes 2, 12 ounce servings. We hope you have a great Christmas party!

62. Ashley said: (November 23rd, 2010 at 12:36 am)

My mom & I are planning on making your recipe within the next few days. I was wondering, do you guys sell Bernie & Blotts Every flavored Beans? :D I really wanna try them!! haha

63. Chica said: (November 23rd, 2010 at 6:54 am)

We don’t sell the beans, Ashley, but I’ve had them before and they are a hoot! I’ve seen them around town at candy stores, so you might want to check where you live. You can also find them here on Amazon. Enjoy the Butterbeer!

64. Amity Originals said: (November 28th, 2010 at 6:36 pm)

I followed this tutorial for making a gift set and it worked great! If you are interested, read about my experiences here: http://amityoriginals.blogspot.com/2010/11/butterbeer.html

Thanks for the great idea!

65. onetruth said: (November 30th, 2010 at 11:35 am)

I can’t wait to try this! I have tried Universal’s frozen, and it was delicious! In case this wasn’t posted yet…Universal does have an alcoholic version at the Hogs Head Pub, which I didn’t discover until I left. Hopefully I’ll get to go again soon, but it won’t be until next year.

66. Styles said: (December 2nd, 2010 at 8:22 pm)

When I tried the recipe it seemed just a little bit lacking. I combined the drizzled butterscotch from the hot recipe with the rest of the cold recipe and it was, in my book, perfect. Despite what is served in the books, the warm is my favorite . . . good job on both!

67. Jo said: (December 2nd, 2010 at 11:49 pm)

We’ll have to try the butterscotch out on the cold as well.

68. Christopher Troilo said: (December 9th, 2010 at 2:54 pm)

Hey there Jo and Chica (and everyone reading the talkback)-

My wife and I thought it would be fun to serve Butterbeer to everyone over the holidays. I’ve read…gosh, countless recipes and the simplicity of this one appealed to me, not because it’s super easy to follow/create, but the ingredients seemed to make the most “sense”.

I ordered the vanilla and butter nut flavoring, and did everything as instructed. In the end, I ended up adding the butterscotch cocoa as Albus suggested for non-alcoholic versions and butterscotch schnapps for adult versions. Both are out of this world tasty. I highly recommend using this recipe, without a doubt, and including the “extra” butterscotch flavoring if you so desire it.

Thanks for an awesome recipe- I can’t wait to serve it to my nieces and nephews, they are going to be so excited.

Best,
    Christopher

69. Jo said: (December 9th, 2010 at 5:08 pm)

Christopher, thanks for the feedback about the recipe in general and about the suggestions Albus made. I haven’t had a chance to try out the butterscotch cocoa yet. I must admit, I am partial to the version with the butterscotch schnapps!

70. Jezreel Castaneda said: (December 13th, 2010 at 3:11 am)

nice one. i’m so excited to try it. thank you so much for sharing the recipe guys!

71. shapewear said: (December 13th, 2010 at 10:56 am)

I would like to try your delicious recipe, just I don’t know what cream soda is, nor that being locally available here in the local market.

72. Ryan said: (December 19th, 2010 at 4:35 pm)

I made this today, and I must say it came out superbly. I went to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in November and had Butterbeer though. By my comparison, it’s close, close enough to make again and be more than content. The cream is slightly off, but it’s still delicious. The dirnk itself tastes really close, if not pin-point perfect! You guys did a great job re-creating this recipe, and thank you for it greatly!

73. Chica said: (December 19th, 2010 at 4:44 pm)

Thanks for your comments, Ryan. We’re glad you love our recipe! We hope to make it back to The Wizarding World next summer so we can try the original again and maybe fine-tune our recipe :)

74. Sean Guenther said: (December 20th, 2010 at 3:31 pm)

Chica and Jo have done it! My family and I went to the WWoHP about a month after it opened and wanted to give our official seal of approval to your recipe. This is fantastic, and it truly is the flavor we have been trying to find ever since. Regardless of what others may say, this is exactly like the butterbeer we spent a small fortune on at the park. So if you can’t make it there, rest assured that Chica and Jo have nailed it, and you will be able to experience this tasty beverage as it was meant to be. Thanks again you guys – finding your site (credit to my wife) was a great surprise just in time for Christmas.

75. Jo said: (December 20th, 2010 at 4:00 pm)

Sean, thanks so much for your great feedback. I am planning a trip back there in February and I am going to be paying really close attention this time in case we can do any fine tuning. Merry Christmas!

76. Jo said: (December 23rd, 2010 at 9:49 am)

Reader Matt R. used our Butterbeer stencils to make great gift baskets for his friends and shared a photo with us. Check it out in our Flickr group!

77. Gabe said: (December 24th, 2010 at 4:08 pm)

It doesn’t look worth it :/

78. Joe said: (December 26th, 2010 at 11:08 am)

This recipe is great! Me and my girlfriend went to wwohp this summer past when they were doing a soft opening and got to try butterbeer chilled and frozen. I have to say this recipe is really close if not dead on. I altered the recipe slightly, because it was a little too sweet, though. I used 11 oz of cream soda, 1 oz of butterscotch schnapps, 1oz of water, and 1 and 1/2 tsp of butter and nut flavoring. I made her a gift basket like yours with shredded black and green construction paper for her favorite house, slytherin. She loved it. Thanks again!

79. Maddy said: (January 2nd, 2011 at 9:45 pm)

So I tried this out tonight. We went to WWHP over Christmas Break and I’ve been anxious to try to make my own butterbeer. While the flavoring in this is good, I feel it’s still missing some of the saltyness, and thickness that you get in the drink there. What I think I’m going to do, is take another recipe where they make a syrup base to mix in with the cream soda and put in the extract here rather than rum exract that the other site suggests. I hope that helps with the thickness consistency.

The other site also suggests adding some of the flavored syrup into the whipped cream- I think this would help too since my first taste of the whipped topping was slightly salty.

80. Parker said: (January 3rd, 2011 at 5:38 pm)

any idea how much of the etching cream you would need in order to put 4 stencils onto some glasses? the link is to a 10 oz container, but they also sell 4 oz ones that are much cheaper.

81. John said: (January 3rd, 2011 at 7:58 pm)

I was at WWHP with my family on 28 Dec. It was pretty chilly in the park that night but we got in the long line for Butterbeer anyway (how can you not?). Despite taking our core temperatures down even further, we all loved it. I just got done making this for my family this evening. I followed your recipe exactly except that I made the frosting a little too stiff. We all think that this recipe is on the money!

82. Jo said: (January 3rd, 2011 at 8:50 pm)

Parker, the smaller bottle should work just find for 4 stencils!

83. Lana said: (January 6th, 2011 at 3:13 pm)

At first, I wasn’t really sure of this recipe. But today, I made it for my husband and I, and we both agree that it tastes like the real thing! Thanks for sharing!

84. Jason said: (January 8th, 2011 at 12:36 am)

If you want a true butter beer go buy boddingtons beer and butterscotch shnapps. Put the shnapps in the freezer for an hour to get the bottle nice and cold. Pour 1 ounce in a large glass (20 ounces or more) then pour in your can of boddingtons. The nitro widget in the can makes the beer nice and creamy and mixes the shnapps automatically. Then put in your Harry potter and the half blood prince DVD and enjoy some butter beer with Harry and the gang. You can use other beers as well like light lagers and ales but it won’t have the nitro creamy flavor. Enjoy!

85. Vida said: (January 12th, 2011 at 2:57 pm)

Hello again. I don’t believe that cream soda can be bought in Europe. Am i right? All I can get is soda with lemon, orange, and other fruit and cola flavouring.Do you have any other alternatives? My son is just beginning to read Harry Potter and became a great fun of him.But I think I won’t be able to make butter beer for him. Thanks for help.

86. Jo said: (January 12th, 2011 at 8:13 pm)

Vida, I noticed that Amazon.co.uk sells cream soda. Can you order from there?

87. Me 2 said: (January 14th, 2011 at 6:11 pm)

I was there a few days ago and had both the frozen and draft butterbeer. As for the draft recipe, I thought you got the soda part dead on. However, I definitely think there was butterscotch flavoring in the foam. I think your recipe would be virtually identical if you added maybe some butterscotch syrup to the cream on top.

88. Nicole said: (January 15th, 2011 at 10:10 pm)

I just made this recipe, and it is awesome. I added some of the vanilla butter and nut flavoring to the “foam” part, along with some butterscotch. It gave it a pretty good kick.

Great recipe!

89. Jo said: (January 15th, 2011 at 10:17 pm)

Nicole and Me 2, thanks for the feedback! I am going to be paying close attention to the foam when we go back next month!

90. Jenniffer said: (January 18th, 2011 at 9:48 am)

My friends and I are big Harry Potter fans. We would have book release parties and made our own butterbeer by adding a shot of Butterscotch Schnapps to a bottle of beer.

91. Cheryl S. said: (January 25th, 2011 at 7:17 pm)

We got our Flavoring in the mail yesterday!!! Wahoo! Me and my 13yr old son made the cold Butterbeer last night and the warm tonight. We loved them both. Im leaning towards the cold(and its easier to make!) and he likes the warm. I even got my Very picky 2yr old little man to try it too and he drank about half of both! Thanks so much for these great ideas! I’ve seen some other things on the site and I cant wait to try them! Greetings from COLD NW Indiana!

92. Chica said: (January 25th, 2011 at 7:55 pm)

Cheryl, I think you’ve just inspired me to go make a mug full of warm Butterbeer. It’s pretty cold here, too!

93. Sara said: (January 27th, 2011 at 1:07 am)

I really like this idea. I feel silly asking though, but what is the big difference between the negative and positive etches? I mean I may need a visual …. just saying. For some reason I’m having a hard time envisioning the difference.

Also, is there a creative way to etch both sides of the glass and make sure the two are even. I may need a visual on that as well if you know how to do it… or even very simply instructions. I swear I’m bound to mess it up.

I would like to do both sides of the glass, just as a reader had suggested.

Fantastic creativity y’all!!

94. Sara said: (January 27th, 2011 at 1:35 am)

Also, I saw photos from the Flickr thing, which told me that it can be done- no I just gotta figure out how to line those suckers up. And I noticed that the Hot Butterbeer makes one serving. How many does this make. Fantastic website ladies! I had no idea how much you all did!!! Good luck with the website and book! I will definitely keep checking for all the neat ideas and crafts you ladies have to share- just such wonderful ideas! I am simply amazed. From the Halloween to Harry Potter, it is clear that the both of you are gifted. Best of luck.

95. Chica said: (January 27th, 2011 at 7:01 am)

Hi Sara, and thanks for your lovely comments about us and our site! I’m glad you liked our recipes. The cold Butterbeer recipe makes two drinks.

My suggestion for lining up two stencils on the same glass would be to apply one, and then add a piece of masking tape to the glass, just under the stencil, and wrapping all the way around in a straight line to the other side of the glass. Then you can apply the second stencil so that it lines up with the tape just like the first one did.

As for the difference between positive and negative, let me try to explain. For both approaches, you would apply the entire stencil to the piece. For a “positive” image, you would peel away the parts of the stencil that constitute the design. In this case, that would be the letters and the swirly lines around them. The peeled stencil would look like this. The finished glass would then have the letters and the swirly part etched, like this. For a “negative” image, you would leave the letters on the glass and peel away the background, like this. The finished glass would then have the letters clear, and the area around them etched, like this. There are more variations you could do, too, such as leaving the swirly part intact and etching the entire glass. Hope that helps!

96. Steve said: (February 9th, 2011 at 8:47 am)

Just tried your cold recipe last night. I thought it was absolutely incredible!! Just got back from Orlando about 2 weeks ago and I think its spot on. My wife thinks we need to try a touch of butterscotch so I am going to buy some extract and do a drop or 2 in the cream. Great Work!

97. Steve said: (February 9th, 2011 at 10:55 pm)

One thing to note: Definately use a good brand of cream soda. I tried it again tonight with the store brand cream soda and it definately was not as good. The first night I used a more expensive brand (similar to IBC) and tasted much better.

98. Michele said: (April 4th, 2011 at 6:54 pm)

Just got back yesterday and LOVED Universal’s Hogsmead….My son is really looking forward to making frozen butterbeer..it’s all he talks about! One note, and if I’m rehashing, sorry…I didn’t read all of the posts…if you buy the collectors mug, you can use it for refills at a reduced price.

Lines were long, but we did manage to visit everything except Olivander’s. When my husband commented to a worker on the small size for the crowds, he was told that the author wanted to maintain the English feel. He was also told by more than one worker that expansion is in the works!!

99. Jo said: (April 4th, 2011 at 9:30 pm)

Michele, can’t wait to see how they expand. I was actually surprised they hadn’t made a Gringotts with a trolley roller coaster inside. So, Universal, if you are out there and want Jo’s humble opinion on how to design your park, that’s my two cents worth!

100. TJ said: (April 7th, 2011 at 3:26 pm)

YOU ARE BRILLIANT! Cant wait to make this!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE butterbeer!!

Oh…and Butter Beer is Non Dairy…..they also do not serve soda/cola in that section of the park(per Rowlings request)….

101. Jennifer said: (April 30th, 2011 at 8:47 am)

This is, by far, the best Butterbeer recipe on the internet – and I’ve tried quite a few.
    The vanilla butter and nut flavoring really makes the drink taste like the real butterbeer at Universal!
    I remember the whipped cream tasting a little like marshmallow cream. Do you think they mixed a little of that in with the whipped cream? I’d love for you to try that combination and tell us if it works out.
    Thank you so much.
    I like your cold butterbeer recipe much better than the hot butterbeer recipe.

102. Jo said: (April 30th, 2011 at 9:19 pm)

Jennifer, thanks! The whipped topping seemed to fizz a bit on my tongue and I made note of that our last trip there. We are working on a variation to make the topping more like that. I will try adding some marshmallow cream and see how it goes. Thanks!

103. Gimmee4 said: (May 10th, 2011 at 4:19 pm)

Looking forward to trying the Butterbeer receipe.
    I paid a small fortune for six souvenier tankards of delicious Butterbeer but were able to refil them for about $3 and use them in the rest of the Universal parks for 79c coke products.
    Just a note, we got to the park early (saw the opening!!) and walked straight on to the Hogwarts ride twice without any lines!

104. Jo said: (May 10th, 2011 at 5:26 pm)

Gimmee4, thanks for the tip on reusing the tankards. Had no idea you could do that!

105. Jennifer said: (June 26th, 2011 at 5:08 pm)

We just came back from Florida and I tried to recreate the Butterbeer. I thought it tasted like melted vanilla ice cream with butter extract in it. (You can find butter extract anywhere they sell cake decorating supplies or through Wilton.) It has been a couple weeks since our visit and I am interested to see what a local would say about the melted ice cream on top. I am definitely going to try the whipped cream next time. My boys loved the Butterbeer.

106. Kamrunissa said: (July 13th, 2011 at 11:55 pm)

Hi,
    I just stumbled upon ur website and I loved the idea of butterbeer mugs and the recipe…The thing is I live in India and would like to get the stuff from your store? Do u do an international delivery in any case?? :)
    plssss do let me knw…
    Thanks!!

107. Chica said: (July 14th, 2011 at 7:02 am)

Hi Kamrunissa, and welcome to our site! We do ship internationally. Please send us an e-mail at intlsales@chicaandjo.com with a list of the items you want to purchase, and we’ll send you a quote for shipping cost to India.

108. Em said: (July 15th, 2011 at 5:55 pm)

I found this great craft project via StumbleUpon several months ago and I must say I was really intrigued with the idea of home glass-etching. Those mugs look phenomenal. I was wondering what material it is that you make your stencils out of. I do something similar with t-shirts and freezer paper, but I wasn’t sure what that sticky material was that adhered to the glasses for etching. Can you find it at craft stores or is it something special?

109. Chica said: (July 16th, 2011 at 10:02 am)

Hi Em! We have not explored the idea of creating our own etching stencils at home, so I’m not sure what to recommend. Something like adhesive vinyl might work, but I don’t know if it would hold up to the chemicals in the etching cream. We get our Butterbeer stencils custom made for us from a company that specializes in etching stencils. Email us if you’d like more information on how to contact them.

110. Lindy G said: (July 24th, 2011 at 5:39 pm)

Hi Chica & Jo! My husband Sean left a comment for you just before Christmas about how spot-on your ButterBeer recipe is compared to the WWoHP version. You responded to him saying y’all were going back in February & were planning on seeing if you could find any tweaks to make to your version. We were just wondering if you had any as of yet? I saw the comment where you mentioned a slight fizz in the cream & would try to duplicate it & another comment from someone mentioning a slight marshmallow flavor? Anyway, if you have any tweaks, we’d love to hear them but if you’re still in the process of figuring it out, please take your time! We understand you just can’t rush perfection like your first recipe! Thanks for everything!

111. Jo said: (July 24th, 2011 at 9:09 pm)

Lindy, hey! We did go back and there is a slight fizz to the cream but I haven’t perfected how to do it yet. I am trying and will let you guys know as soon as I come up with it.

112. Marissa said: (August 23rd, 2011 at 10:55 pm)

Hello!
    I’m having a sleepover tomorow night (with a fellow Potterhead) and this is definitely going on our list as a to-do. Thanks for the recipe!

113. Robert said: (September 6th, 2011 at 6:06 am)

Hey guys!

Great recipe! I love it a lot! I have made a couple of variations of this exact recipe using imitation butter extract and pure almond extract and it tasted great.

^^ Lindy’s question about the fizz. I think I may have the answer. After spooning the layer of foam on top, serve and have the drinker give it a quick stir. That fizzes for a couple of seconds and expands the foam while turning the color of the drink to what looks like the Butterbeer in the HP movies.
    =D Hope that helps

114. Jo said: (September 6th, 2011 at 8:41 am)

Hey guys! I have a solution for the fizz that I will be posting later this week!

115. nasreenwaris said: (October 31st, 2011 at 3:46 pm)

nice recipe,i like it.

116. Gako said: (March 4th, 2012 at 4:27 pm)

Wouldn’t Brandy work a little better than butterscotch schnapps? Not much obv. I always thought butterbeer would taste like liquid brandy butter.

117. Chica said: (March 4th, 2012 at 4:48 pm)

Gako, I’ve never had Brandy, so I have no idea. You can certainly mix your Butterbeer however you like it :)

118. Carolyn said: (March 19th, 2012 at 12:39 am)

Somebody said the butterbeer made the “Harry Potter” book characters feel warm because they thought it was alcoholic.

I really disagree! The drinks were made with MAGIC! So when the weather was cold, the drink was (and remained) warm and made the person feel warm…and vice versa.

Another note: I believe that in at least one of the movies, the kids drank butterbeer from bottles when they wanted to cool off.

119. wagner Alexandre said: (April 11th, 2012 at 9:08 pm)

Gostaria de receber,se possível, essas formas de resciclagem em portugues, sriam muito utéis na escola publica que eu leciono.
    Agradeço desde já

Wagner Alexandre
    taquarana- Alagoas- Brasil

120. psmith said: (May 1st, 2012 at 8:57 pm)

Have been meaning to write in for some time and just now have gotten around to it. The stencils worked fantastic and we LOVE our Butterbeer mugs! We have been to the HP Park in Universal and your recipe tastes just like the one in the park! It is actually BETTER because we get to drink in in our Butterbeer mugs! So fun! Thanks!

121. Chica said: (May 2nd, 2012 at 6:54 am)

Thanks for the follow-up, psmith. So glad to hear you enjoyed the drink and the mugs!

122. Jan said: (July 26th, 2012 at 8:46 pm)

Thank you for this recipe. I have my niece and nephew visiting and we’ve experimented with a couple of recipes. My niece’s comment was, “This one’s a keeper!” they spent a good 10 minutes playing with their ‘butterbeerstaches’ (mustaches). You helped create a fun vacation memory for them. Thanks so much again.

123. Jan said: (July 26th, 2012 at 8:54 pm)

Just started reading above comments and have a thought on the fizz issue. Kefir has an effirecence to it. It tastes like buttermilk to me. Those who are interested might look into using it somehow.

124. Ayla said: (September 4th, 2012 at 5:34 pm)

My brother has a friend who works at the park, and surprised be i may, your recipe is about dead on.
    Luckily my brother has great connections and his friend gave the recipe to him as payment for a job my bro did.
    only difference is since they make it by the can, they use 1tbs of vanilla butter nut extract to each 12oz can of cream soda. =)

I had been googling recipes all day to compare, and when he gave me the official, i typed in ‘vanilla butter nut extract’ and ‘cream soda’ and you and only 1 other person has it down. =) Just thought i’d chime. in. <3 enjoy.

125. Summer said: (September 10th, 2012 at 4:38 pm)

Not sure if this was mentioned as i didn’t read all of the posts, but if you put a spoonful of the whipped cream in your cup first you will get a beautiful, frothy foamy glass of butterbeer. Cheers!

126. Chica said: (September 11th, 2012 at 8:50 am)

Thanks for the tip, Summer. We’ll have to try that out!

127. guest said: (October 6th, 2012 at 3:14 pm)

I went to the park and I loved the beer! I am very excited to try this version

128. guest said: (March 12th, 2013 at 3:52 pm)

I want to make this for a big event at my dorm however I am unsure if I’d be able to put the topping. Would the drink taste fine without the topping?

129. Chica said: (March 13th, 2013 at 7:16 am)

Guest, the drink will still taste good without the topping, but it will taste GREAT with it! Try to find a way to add it if you can :)

130. guest said: (March 13th, 2013 at 11:44 am)

Thank you for the speedy response! I will make an attempt! : D

131. yenta1957 said: (October 18th, 2013 at 3:36 pm)

Wow! I’m late for the party as usual. Justa want to say..yet AGAIN…how much I LOVE this site. Great job Chica + Jo!! My oldest child attended college in FL + went to the “parks” frequently. She LOVED this butterbeer. Finding the recipe on your site…I really want to make this for my entire family. Just need to find the butter nut flavoring.
    Many thanks.

132. Chica said: (October 19th, 2013 at 3:19 pm)

Thanks, yenta1957. Hope you and your family enjoy the Butterbeer!

133. Lex said: (March 22nd, 2014 at 7:49 pm)

I’m wondering if this recipe can be multiplied for the butterbeer dispenser you showed. I’m having a party and I want enough for everyone!

134. Chica said: (March 23rd, 2014 at 9:19 am)

Lex, our Butterbeer recipe can definitely be multiplied and used in this barrel project. The only ingredient that you’ll need to adjust is the whipped cream. You don’t need the entire 1/2 cup quantity called for in the recipe, but if you start with less cream, you’ll have a had time whipping it. Once you multiply all your ingredients out, you’ll only need about half the whipped cream count that you get. Enjoy!