Princess Peach birthday cake Posted by Chica
May 17, 2010

Princess PeachIt’s time for me to show you the most important (or at least the tastiest) part of Little Jo’s recent Princess Peach birthday party, and that’s the cake!

One look at a picture of Princess Peach herself was all the inspiration I needed to know how to make the cake. In true princess style, the cake would have to have several tiers, and it would have to be pink, pink, pink. I loved the sashes on Peach’s dress, so I knew I wanted to have those on the cake, too.

And what about that lovely jewelry that Princess Peach wears? Those teal earrings, her teal brooch, and the jewels in her crown needed to be somewhere on the cake. Hmm, we needed teal edible jewels… Aha! Now you know what I made all those hard candy jewels for!

The cake was pretty easy to put together, using a few simple techniques and massive amounts of fondant.

For the crown, I tinted some fondant with lemon yellow icing color, rolled it out, and put draped it over an upside-down bowl with straight sides. I cut the points of the crown and then let the whole thing dry for a few days. Then I just slid it off and put it on top of the cake. I put small balls of fondant on the peaks of the crown and around the bottom to cover the seam. To attach the jewels to the crown, I used white icing as “glue”, then put a small rope of yellow fondant around each one to frame them.

Princess Peach cake

I covered each tier of the cake with fondant tinted with pink icing color. Then I made some darker pink fondant and rolled it out into rectangles about 2″ x 5″. I pinched each end of the rectangle to create a sash, and attached it to the cake with a touch of water. After putting the sashes all the way around each tier, I put a candy jewel between each one. As a final touch, I put little balls of pink fondant around the bottom of each tier.

Princess Peach cake

The white icing I used to glue all of the jewels in place turned out to be not only a great adhesive, but a great way to brighten the color of the jewels. Since they are sort of clear, their color would’ve been a little “off” if they were up against the pink or yellow, but the white icing made a great background that let the teal color really pop.

Here’s the finished cake. Little Jo was so excited when she saw it, and everyone had a great time eating it. The extra candy jewels were scattered around the cake and the table, making a great decoration and a great snack during the party.

Princess Peach cake

Stay tuned for even more Princess Peach party details, coming soon!

1. Bird said: (May 18th, 2010 at 4:06 am)

STUNNING! :)

2. Amy said: (May 18th, 2010 at 5:51 am)

Oh my goodness, that is adorable!

3. Iisha said: (May 18th, 2010 at 9:28 am)

Very pretty. Hope she had a wonderful birthday.

4. Christina said: (August 2nd, 2010 at 11:52 am)

That is just gorgeous, thanks so much for your tips on putting the jewels on… I’m trying to self teach fondant and jewels and was worried I couldn’t get the gems to stick.

5. Chica said: (August 2nd, 2010 at 11:54 am)

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!

Christina, fondant is pretty forgiving, so just keep practicing and I’m sure you’ll be a pro in no time :)

6. Bonnie said: (September 4th, 2010 at 5:03 pm)

Hi, this is an awesome cake!!! My daughter wants to have a Princess Peach Birthday Party (oi vey!) and you are the only one I found with this theme!! YAY!!! I’m going to be making my own fondant for the cake, about how much will I need total for the complete cake? I’ll be making extra just in case I goof (which I will, it always happens :) but would love to know approximately how much to start with. Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Bonnie

7. Chica said: (September 4th, 2010 at 6:00 pm)

Bonnie, I’m so glad we info to help you with this party! Make sure you take a look at our full party post as well as the posts about how we made the hard candy jewels, invitations, character cut-outs, and drawstring favor bags!

For the cake, I used store-bought fondant, and I think I used about 5 or 6 pounds of it. hopefully that gives you a good starting point. I’ve never made fondant from scratch before… can you share your recipe?

We’d love to hear how the party comes out!

8. Bonnie said: (September 5th, 2010 at 3:45 pm)

Thanks, Chica!!! This will be the first time I’ve ever attempted something quite this big (though I’ve done the Barbie ones with the cake as the dress)and the first time using fondant. WOOHOO!! I’m always up for a challenge :) I’m using the marshmallow fondant recipe from the following site:

Keep your fingers crossed!!! LOL!!!

Thanks again!
    Bonnie

9. Laurie said: (January 17th, 2011 at 11:17 am)

OMG! Just saw that Chica and Jo made the Sunday Sweets at CakeWrecks.com! Whoo Hoo! Way to go!

10. Chica said: (January 17th, 2011 at 5:12 pm)

Laurie, that makes me so happy! Thanks for sharing the link with us :)

11. Jenniffer said: (January 18th, 2011 at 9:36 am)

I came over from Cake Wrecks and I love your cake!

12. Jo said: (January 18th, 2011 at 11:17 am)

Jenniffer, welcome to our site! So glad you loved the cake. The jewels really set it off.

13. Lynda said: (June 9th, 2011 at 3:26 am)

Ladies, this is an absolutely beautiful cake and one any little girl would LOVE to receive as her Birthday. Well Done and thank you so much for sharing your ups and downs with the “jewel” lollies, sorry that’s what we call them in Australia, the “jewel” hard candies. Best Wishes and Keep Creating, I love your website, Lynda :-)

14. Chica said: (June 9th, 2011 at 8:18 am)

Lynda, thanks so much for the compliments! We’re happy to have you among our loyal readers :)

15. Briana said: (June 21st, 2011 at 1:37 pm)

Wow, this is a beautiful cake my friend is an extreme cake designer and he said thi is stunning thank you for posting this!!!

16. Chica said: (June 21st, 2011 at 1:44 pm)

Briana, thanks for the compliment and please thank your friend as well!

17. Trinity said: (June 7th, 2012 at 1:24 pm)

I’m going to make this for my birthday party! :D

18. Sandra said: (June 28th, 2012 at 6:50 pm)

I am going to attempt this for my daughter’s 5th birthday next month! Question: what sizes of cakes did you make for the 3 layers? And, were they really deep pans or did you have to make two of each diameter and stack them?

19. Chica said: (June 28th, 2012 at 6:57 pm)

Sandra, I used 6″, 8″, and 10″ pans for the layers. All of my cake pans are 3″ deep, so what you see is a single cake for each layer. I love the deep pans because then you don’t have to mess with leveling and filling layers, and I think the cakes taste much better, too. Good luck with your daughter’s cake – we’d love to hear about the party afterwards!

20. Sandra said: (July 25th, 2012 at 7:46 pm)

Did my first fondant attempt/trial today in prep for the party next week. Having a bit of trouble with the sashes – perhaps I am not rolling the fondant thin enough? I’m finding them hard to shape, and drape nicely on the edge. Any tips?

21. Chica said: (August 2nd, 2012 at 9:16 am)

Hi Sandra. This is going to be hard to describe, but I’ll try… when you make the sashes, you don’t end up using a whole rectangle of fondant, but more of a semicircular shape. The top of the sash should be pretty much straight across, and then gradually use wider fondant as you go to the bottom, so that the bottom edge is longer so that it drapes more. Just start at the top and pinch the sides up, one fold at a time, to the desired shape. Then trip off any excess on the sides. I hope that helps!