Paint chip greeting cards Posted by Chica
April 19, 2010

Like most of you, I’m sure, I tend to go through a lot of paint chips when trying to decide on a color to paint a room. And when the project is done, I toss the paint chips into a box I keep in my craft room. They are the perfect “I’ll use these one day” items, right? Well I stumbled upon the box a few days ago and realized just how many I’d collected over the years.

paint chip greeting cards

Oh the memories this pile brings back! There are the numerous shades of tan that I went through when painting the kitchen. The blues and purples that I considered for the master bedroom and the greens we ended up with. And the rainbow samples from a toy chest project. Oh, and the hardest color of all to select was the burgundy we used in our living room — I went through so much paint trying to find the perfect color! (The winner was “Japanese Maple” by Martha Stewart, in case you’re wondering)

No matter how I got this collection, I knew it was time to finally do something with them. I decided to cuz them into pieces and create mosaic greeting cards. Oh boy, was this a fun project, and I am so happy with the results. Here, let me cut to the chase and just show you what I created.

paint chip greeting cards

paint chip greeting cardsCan you believe those were made from plain white cardstock and boring old paint chips? Let me show you how I made them.

First I cut some ordinary 8.5″ x 11″ white cardstock in half crosswise, then folded it. This created a great note card size that’s a perfect fit for a standard 4 3/8″ x 5 3/4″ invitation envelope. Then I sorted my paint chips into color families and selected sets of coordinating chips for each card.

For the square mosaic design, I grabbed a bunch of smoky blue paint chips and cut them into 1 inch squares. I used a ruler and craft knife to cut the squares, but it would have gone a LOT faster if I’d used a square paper punch! Once I had the squares cut, I just arranged them in a grid on the card and glued them in place. The finished card reminds me so much of the jeans quilt I made.

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

For the green card, I cut all my green paint chips into strips of random widths. Then I just lined them up on the card wherever they looked right and glued them down. This card was so fast and simple to make, but I just love the results.

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

For the orange card, I took the same strip idea but turned it on an angle. I started with two yellow squares in the middle and then put strips of red, orange, and yellow in the background.

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

I spent a lot of time on the final card. I took all of my rainbow colors, two shades of each, and cut them into triangle shapes. I fitted the pieces together, cutting and trimming where necessary, until I had a mosaic pattern with the colors blending from left to right. I absolutely love this card, but it took forever to make so I doubt I’ll ever be able to give it away!

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

By the way, if you’re wondering what my desk looked like after making these cards, here’s a peek. It’s a mess, but kinda awesome at the same time, don’t you think? Those little blue squares you see scattered around are from my favorite adhesive for paper crafts — photo splits. You can always tell exactly how much fun I’m having in my craft room by the number of little blue backing papers all over the floor!

paint chip greeting cards

Here are the cards again, all finished.

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

Of course, you could use this technique with any colored paper, but I just love the fact that they were made with paint chips that would otherwise be headed for the trash. If you really want to make it clear what materials you used on the card, you can cut a little strip from one of the paint chips and glue it on the back, with a message.

paint chip greeting cards

I am so in love with these cards!

paint chip greeting cards

paint chip greeting cardspaint chip greeting cards

1. Grace said: (April 19th, 2010 at 9:22 am)

Wow, I love this idea!

2. Kelli said: (April 19th, 2010 at 10:36 am)

These are SO gorgeous! But I would NEVER have the patience. (Which is weird, since I love Tetris…) ;)

3. Chica said: (April 19th, 2010 at 10:45 am)

Thanks Grace!

Kelli, with the exception of the triangle mosaic, the cards only took a few minutes each to create. The green striped one was the easiest and could be done with a million different color combinations. (And I love Tetris too!)

4. Kelli said: (April 19th, 2010 at 12:30 pm)

Hmm, the possibilities are endless. You’re right; I just might have to give this a try. :)

5. madebymegs said: (April 19th, 2010 at 4:20 pm)

What a terrific idea. Normally I do not keep paint chips…I guess i will start to now :)

6. karen said: (April 19th, 2010 at 9:54 pm)

awesome idea for the classroom! Students will love it and doesn’t cost a ton!

7. Chica said: (April 20th, 2010 at 8:05 am)

karen, that’s a great idea for a classroom activity. Kids can learn about colors and recycling at the same time :)

8. Fawnda said: (August 24th, 2010 at 9:59 pm)

These are truely beautiful! I love all the colors!

I am having a crafty competition with Paint samples that I would love to have you enter this project in!

Check it out here:

9. Vanessa said: (August 26th, 2010 at 10:08 am)

Wow! These look great!

10. Amy @ Positively Splendid said: (August 26th, 2010 at 12:40 pm)

I absolutely love these! What a fun idea!

11. Chica said: (August 26th, 2010 at 1:29 pm)

Thanks, ladies! It’s a really easy idea, too, with unlimited possibilities :)

12. Fawnda said: (August 30th, 2010 at 9:31 am)

I justed wanted to let you know that you made the Top Ten on the Iron Crafter!

Check it out here:

Good Luck!!

13. Polly @ Helping LIttle Hands said: (August 30th, 2010 at 11:35 am)

These look great! I’ll hvae to start collecting paint chips.

14. Sudha said: (August 31st, 2010 at 9:32 am)

Lovely idea,I just love it.

15. FawnDear said: (August 31st, 2010 at 10:49 am)

Oh My Honk. How ubber talented you are. I’m loving the triangle card to pieces. What a fabulous job.
    Thank you so much for sharing your genius idea.

16. Chica said: (August 31st, 2010 at 11:09 am)

Polly, it only takes a few to make a card. :)

FawnDear, thanks so much. That one is my favorite, too!

17. Katie said: (September 2nd, 2010 at 5:26 pm)

What a great idea, it’s so graphic and modern looking!

18. marlene said: (December 6th, 2010 at 11:02 pm)

Hi
    Great idea for paint swatches, I have been using my scrap paper to do this. but I like your idea because they are free and the paint swatches are thicker.
    thanks Marlene

19. Stacy Marie Wood said: (January 13th, 2011 at 4:35 pm)

I love this idea. I think I might make a few big one to hang on my wall for a “head board” effect!

What about using the double stick tape (from your photo cube project) in place of glue? Is one more effective than the other?

20. Chica said: (January 13th, 2011 at 5:54 pm)

Stacy, if you ever make that headboard, we’d love to see it! You could certainly use double stick tape instead of glue. It’s really up to personal preference and what you happen to have on hand.

21. Stacy Marie Wood said: (February 7th, 2011 at 2:50 pm)

Well I completed my “headboard” made out of paint chips. I have a king size bed so I took 1 piece of poster board and cut it in half so I ended up 2 pieces 28″ long and 11″ tall. I used a glue stick as the tape sheets are not very forgiving!! Once finished I did use the double stick tape sheets to hang on the wall then used my Japanese Washi masking tape as a border on the wall then used another wider tape as a “frame”. I will post on your flicker group as soon as I figure out how to do that!!

22. Chica said: (February 7th, 2011 at 7:15 pm)

Stacy, congrats for finishing the headboard! We’d love to see a photo. If you have a hard time with Flickr, you can e-mail it to us and we’ll post it for you :)

23. Jo said: (February 8th, 2011 at 10:18 am)

Stacy shared some photos of her paint chip headboard. It turned out so well! http://www.flickr.com/photos/59279321@N07/5428211698/in/pool-918858@N21/

24. Chica said: (February 8th, 2011 at 12:07 pm)

Oh my goodness, Stacy. I love that!

25. Allison said: (February 18th, 2011 at 9:14 am)

As a Feng Shui consultant I am working with color ALL of the time. Not only will this idea help me to recycle old paint chips it can be an amazing use of Feng Shui color to gift to people I care about!

26. Michele Glasnovic said: (March 4th, 2011 at 2:26 pm)

You know, using some shaped punches to make lots of interesting shapes in different colors could be also a fun way to approach this project.

27. Chica said: (March 5th, 2011 at 8:26 am)

That’s a great idea, Michele!

28. Mary said: (March 27th, 2011 at 1:05 am)

Great idea!!!! And you can get paint chips anytime at most home stores!

29. Renorr said: (March 27th, 2011 at 2:28 pm)

Those look beautiful! I can’t wait to give this a try.. going to have to be sneaky and get some paint chips :)
    What type of glue did you use?

30. Chica said: (March 27th, 2011 at 7:15 pm)

Renorr, I’m afraid I don’t remember what glue I used, but you can use whatever adhesive you’re comfortable with using :)

31. Amanda said: (March 27th, 2011 at 10:41 pm)

These are seriously awesome! What a great idea, and they are so colorful, love it!

32. Jo said: (March 27th, 2011 at 11:22 pm)

Thanks, Amanda, love your site!

33. kris said: (April 30th, 2011 at 7:23 pm)

I’ve been doing this for years! So glad to see others are too! Great for seasonal cards!!!!
    So many beautiful shades of colors… they don’t mind me taking samples at the paint department of Lowe’s and Home Depot!!! Haven’t tried any other stores, though.

34. Jo said: (April 30th, 2011 at 9:17 pm)

Kris, would love to see some of your designs! You can email us or add them to our Flikr group.

35. Cori said: (May 5th, 2011 at 7:37 pm)

I was going to make a card like this for mothers day… Then I remembered my Mom threw away my paint chips while she was cleaning….

36. Melissa said: (June 14th, 2011 at 3:42 am)

What a wonderful idea!!

37. Kanishka said: (July 7th, 2011 at 5:03 pm)

Great idea! The best thing is that you could do it will all kinds of paper: Old Pictures, Old cards, Newspaper, Gift Bags, Scrapbooking leftovers!

38. Kate said: (July 9th, 2011 at 11:09 pm)

I LOVE this! Can’t wait to rush out and get some paint chips to make these! I also just noticed that there is a flickr group for these cards and I’m going to check it out for inspiration! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

39. Kate said: (July 9th, 2011 at 11:11 pm)

Oops. Just noticed that the flickr group is for something else, but lots of inspiration there too!

40. Bibi said: (July 16th, 2011 at 4:52 pm)

I just stumbled on this project at StumbleUpon and I think it’s fantastic. We have so many paint chips laying around the house because every time we visit hardware store my kids have the need to bring home full pockets.

41. Chica said: (July 17th, 2011 at 11:05 am)

Bibi, welcome to the site, and I hope you stick around! Maybe you can have your kids make their birthday cards for their friends with the paint chips they bring home :)

42. Aarathy said: (July 18th, 2011 at 4:03 am)

what a great idea! :)

43. Beth said: (September 9th, 2011 at 8:55 am)

I love these!! The triangle one is my favorite too, but they are all lovely!

44. Maree said: (October 1st, 2011 at 8:42 pm)

Yes – I too have kept them all – now to find the time!……….

45. hena tayeb said: (October 4th, 2011 at 3:04 pm)

I really like the triangle one.

46. Deebi27 said: (November 12th, 2011 at 3:20 pm)

Wow, what a great idea and the color possibilities are endless…Thanks!

47. Hannah Grace said: (January 9th, 2012 at 12:58 am)

oh wow!!! So excited about trying this out! The possiblititys are ENDLESS!

48. Blablablablah said: (July 18th, 2012 at 5:41 am)

Good idea!LOVE the good idea!

49. Sandra Cherry Jones said: (August 1st, 2012 at 3:38 pm)

Great idea!