Snow cream recipe Posted by Chica
February 17, 2010

This winter has been extra snowy where we live and for most of the U.S. as well. So much snow! We’ve already gotten way more than is usual for the whole winter, and besides what we got over the weekend, we’ve got more coming later this week. And the cold! It’s so cold! I spend most evenings curled up by the fire, wishing June would hurry up and get here so that Jo and I can go with our families on our yearly trip to Sanibel, Florida.

But daydreams aside, I do what I can to enjoy the snow. As long as you’re properly bundled up for it (seriously, buy some ski pants, because they are worth every penny), playing in the snow can be so much fun! Just yesterday I took my niece out sledding and she loved rolling around in the soft, powdery snow. We took my dog, Jack, with us, and he had fun catching snowballs and chasing the sleds. When you don’t have to drive anywhere and you can just play, snow is fun and beautiful and glorious.

One of my favorite treats when it snows is making “snow cream”. My recipe is pretty simple, too. Just mix a few spoons of sugar and a splash of vanilla extract into a cup of milk, then pour it over some fresh snow. Stir it up and eat it before it melts away. Yum, what a treat!

snow creamsnow cream

When it comes to making snow cream, every family seems to have its own recipe with different ingredients. I’ve heard of people adding brown sugar or sweetened condensed milk. How do you make your snow cream?

P.S. If snow cream makes you too cold just thinking about it, make yourself some of Jo’s super rich hot chocolate instead :)

1. Becca said: (February 17th, 2010 at 10:14 am)

My boyfriend would think Im gross for eating snow, but I must try this!

Oh, a tip… dont eat the yellow snow LOL!

2. Sarah Sarniak said: (February 17th, 2010 at 10:15 am)

This looks yummy, would you use it as a frosting or just eat it alone?

3. Chica said: (February 17th, 2010 at 11:44 am)

Gee, I thought everybody knew about snow cream! I can’t imagine my childhood without it. It was a favorite winter snack for my sister and me every time it snowed.

Haha Becca! I’d definitely stay away from any snow that isn’t perfectly pretty and white :)

Sarah, you just eat snow cream right out of the bowl with a spoon. It’s a lot like ice cream!

4. Melissa R said: (February 17th, 2010 at 1:14 pm)

I have never heard of snow cream before. When I lick snow it kinda tastes dirty, so eating a bowl of it sounds not too great to me. But maybe the flavorings help.

5. Erin said: (February 17th, 2010 at 3:43 pm)

Oh, my goodness — haven’t thought about snow ice cream since I was a kid. LOVED IT! I used to love using peppermint extract instead of vanilla.

6. Jan said: (February 17th, 2010 at 6:18 pm)

Try fat free half and half instead of milk for your snow cream – it’s a better texture.

7. Amanda said: (February 18th, 2010 at 8:40 am)

Never heard of this! Sounds so fun!

8. Chica said: (February 18th, 2010 at 3:31 pm)

Erin, I bet it would taste great with some of my candy cane syrup drizzled on top!

Jan, I bet using half-and-half or cream would make it so yummy and rich! I’ve heard of people using sweetened condensed milk before, but I’ve never tried it myself.

9. Dana said: (September 10th, 2010 at 2:14 pm)

awww… thanks for bringing back fond memories of winters gone by… My grandmother used to make the best snow cream and I’m sure it was something similar to your recipe. I’m know she didn’t use sweetened condensed milk or cream. She may have used fresh from the cow milk even……..

10. Chica said: (September 10th, 2010 at 2:16 pm)

Oh, fresh milk! What a treat that must have been, Dana!

11. Tracie said: (September 12th, 2010 at 9:08 pm)

I have always poured Jello sugar in the snow like a snow cone but way better!

12. Vida said: (December 4th, 2010 at 4:23 pm)

It was a very nice idea as my sons always eat snow and I don’t allow them to, so we tried with vanilla flavour. They were suprised and liked it. We decided to try lemon and maple syrup next time. It really was delicious.