Valentine popcorn treat bags

by: Jo

Valentine popcorn treat bags

I like to make special treats for Little Jo to take to her class for Valentine’s Day. This year, I thought I would make some of Chica’s kettle corn and send it in in bags for each kid. Well, once I got started, I couldn’t stop. I kept adding more fun elements until I came up with cute little tags and kettle corn with a twist. Let me show you what I did!

For the record, you can do this with regular popcorn, if you don’t want to make kettle corn.  However, I can tell you that the kettle corn is spectacular when you get to the end of this.  If you make the kettle corn you will need: Chica’s instructions, salt, sugar, a Whirley-Pop, and oil.  For the rest of the project you will need parchment paper (my favorite kitchen tool), Wilton candy melts, Ziploc bags, a printer, white paper, scissors or a paper cutter, brown lunch bags and a stapler.

Valentine Treat Bags

First, make your kettle corn (or your regular popcorn) and spread it out on the parchment paper.  Try to resist eating too much of it at this point, because you will need it to fill those bags later!

Valentine Treat Bags

Next, dump your candy melts into a Ziploc bag.  I used red melts and pink melts.  I started with the red ones.  Microwave the melts and knead the bag until all the lumps are gone.  Twist your bag and snip a small hole in the corner.

Valentine Treat Bags

Then, proceed to make a beautiful red candy mess by squeezing the melted candy out all over the top of the popcorn. Doesn’t this look yummy already? You could stop here but why would you? It needs more!

Wait for the melted candy to harden and then toss the popcorn to break it up again. Spread it back out onto your parchment paper to get it ready for the next layer, the pink! I melted my pink candy melts the same way as before and squeezed the pink candy all over the popcorn again.  Look at how pretty it is!

I felt the popcorn needed one last little punch so I got out some red decor sugar and sprinkled it onto the still-melted pink chocolate.  Now THAT looks done!

Allow it all to dry and then break it up one final time. Then, eat some. Eat a little more and finally, tell yourself that you will have just one more bite. To prevent all of the popcorn from disappearing, remove yourself from the kitchen and head to the craft room for this next part.

Packaging the popcorn for the kids starts with a bag tag we designed just for the occasion. Downoad and print our Valentine’s Day Popcorn Treat bag tag template onto white cardstock.

Use a paper cutter or scissors to cut the tags apart, then fill out the “to” and “from” areas on the back of the tag.

Now, you have to go back up to the yummy popcorn. Fill your bags about half full.

Valentine Treat Bags

Fold the top of the bag down, then place the tag over it.

Then just staple the tag to the bag in each corner to secure it in place.

Now you have a delicious Valentine treat.  My husband says he would like a batch with melted dark chocolate over it instead of the pink and red.  I might just have to do that for him for his special Valentine’s Day treat.

Valentine Treat Bags

Valentine popcorn treat bags

Adrienne 02/04/2010 at 10:31 am

I have been reading your blog for a few months and I just wanted to say I love your projects! You guys (er..girls) do awesome jobs.

This one is definitely going on to my list of possibilities for my son’s class treats!

Rachel 02/04/2010 at 1:11 pm

Ooh I would love to get popcorn for Valentine’s Day. It’s my favorite! Thanks so much for this, I’ll be linking.

Elsa 02/04/2010 at 4:43 pm

This would be delicious with some chocolate and some caramel popcorn!

Brandy 02/06/2010 at 2:30 am

What a fabulous idea! Thank you so much for sharing!

Mary 02/06/2010 at 1:55 pm

This looks fantastic!!!

Karen 02/06/2010 at 7:16 pm

Great Idea! I so want to make this for my pre-school kid. Also will be posting this on Sarchix.com on 14 Feb!!! Thanks again.

Jo 02/07/2010 at 3:06 pm

Karen, thanks ahead of time for posting our project on your site!

dot 02/08/2010 at 9:30 pm

Hey! i’m including this in my link roundup this evening… too cute!

Chica 02/09/2010 at 7:04 am

Thanks, dot!

jill matyastik 02/09/2010 at 10:41 am

Love these bag toppers – thanks

katherinemarie 02/11/2010 at 8:02 am

ABSOLUTELY CUTE as can be!!!!!

Chrissie 02/11/2010 at 10:32 am

I tried this with white chocolate and it tasted great, but didn’t look like yours. I live overseas and have no access to candy melts. It took a little work to mix the hot melted chocolate through the popcorn and not get burned but my kids said they would still be proud to take it to school. :-) Thanks I will try this again!!

Julie 02/24/2010 at 12:23 pm

This is so perfect!!! I will have to do this for next year…. scratch that… I need to do this for St. Patty’s day with Green and Chocolate Melts. You don’t happen to want to make up a cute little tag for the top with something Patty’s day on it by chance? If not I am sure I can make something up… maybe something pot of gold related… hum… thinking! Great job!

Chica 02/24/2010 at 12:41 pm

Hmm… what a fun idea, Julie! Let us think about that a bit and see what we can come up with :)

Chica 02/25/2010 at 9:04 am

Julie, I made a St. Patrick’s Day bag tag for you! Check out this post. Hope you like it!

brandyp 04/26/2011 at 12:09 pm

Hey there. I really loved your “My Heart Pops For You” title for your bag and even used it for inspiration for my ehow.com article “Scrapbook Ideas: Popcorn”. It would make such a great title and starting point for a scrapbook layout. I included you as a reference. Great job. So cute…

Dawn B 01/12/2012 at 11:28 am

Just found this today, Love it! Will be doing it this year, Thank you!!

Julie 01/18/2012 at 11:26 am

Just found your site this morning. Love it! I’ve gotten away doing a lot of crafty things, but this makes me want to start up again! Thanks!

Chica 01/18/2012 at 12:08 pm

So glad to have inspired you to get crafting again, Julie!

Valerie 02/09/2012 at 10:24 pm

I’m making popcorn treat bags for my son’s Valentine’s Day party but I’m using white chocolate and valentine M&M’s. Question: How many days in advance can you make the popcorn treat so it’s still fresh?

Chica 02/10/2012 at 7:01 am

Valerie, the freshness of popcorn will depend greatly on whether or not you keep it in an airtight container. For best results, I suggest making the popcorn as late as possible.

Dawn B 02/12/2012 at 8:27 pm

Hi, I love this idea and was going to try to print out your template today but I haven’t been able to get it to load. When I click on the link it takes me to a new tab and the screen is black. Is this template still available? Thank you!

Chica 02/13/2012 at 8:09 am

Dawn, I just tried the link and it works for me. The template is a PDF, so perhaps you don’t have a good installation of Adobe Reader, or it’s just not displaying right in your browser. Maybe you can try downloading the file (right click the link and select “save target as”) and then open it the saved copy from your computer.

Dawn B 02/13/2012 at 4:05 pm

That worked, thank you so much!!!!

Chica 02/13/2012 at 4:16 pm

So glad to hear it. You’re welcome!

Jenelle Van de Mortel 02/14/2012 at 8:42 pm

I love this!! What a fun Valentine’s project!

Marilyn 01/25/2013 at 2:13 pm

This is such a great and simple idea–from the popcorn to the tags! Thank you for posting!

chely 12/27/2014 at 8:55 am

omg, thank you so much for this pop printable…I think I will give some pop corn to my kids teacher for valentines…so so cute, thanks

...we're sorry, but comments are closed for this post...