search

go

Sewing 101: Lesson 3 — Sewing a straight line

by: Jo

Welcome back to our Sewing 101 video tutorial series! This time, I get to actually sew on my machine! This quick video will give you a few tips and the encouragement needed to actually start sewing straight lines with your machine.

If you can’t see the video above, you can view it directly here.

Rachel 01/11/2010 at 2:09 pm

These are so much fun to watch! I know so many people who want to learn to sew. These are perfect for getting over the fear.

Chica 01/11/2010 at 2:16 pm

Thanks, Rachel. As you can tell, we have a lot of fun making the videos too :)

Janet 01/12/2010 at 12:41 am

I Love these!!! Thank you for sharing them, they are such a help!

Brechtje 01/12/2010 at 4:30 am

This is great, thank you for making these! I’ve been wanting to learn to sew for a long time and these are so helpful! I’m staying tuned for more!

Laura 01/12/2010 at 10:07 pm

Thanks so much for this. I have been trying to teach myself how to use my machine. This is a big help.

Jo 01/12/2010 at 10:14 pm

I am so glad everyone is enjoying learning along with me. When you break it down like Chica is doing for me, it isn’t so scary!

Anne 01/14/2010 at 10:13 am

Great tutorial! I love how you break sewing down into small chunks for those learning to sew.

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

Chica 01/14/2010 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Anne!

cheryl 02/24/2010 at 7:31 pm

THANK YOU!! it makes me feel like I am not alone out there learning on the sewing machine. my hardest part so far has been keeping a straight line. Geez Louise, that is so hard!
    my first project with my new sewing machine was making a tiered-ruffle skirt like from your web site!!! thanks and keep the tips coming!

Debbie 04/09/2010 at 1:02 pm

You guys rock!!!! Thank you soooo much!!!

Donna 03/09/2011 at 10:53 pm

I just found your site. And, it is woenderful. I love the video tutorials for teaching how to sew. Makes it so much more relistic. I haven’t checked out your site in full yet, but I was wondering if you have a tutorial (video prefered) of mitered corners. I am making a fleece blanket with bias tape and am having a hard time with the corners. I am not a beginner. But have not sewn in over four years (vision problems) and now that my sight is better I want to start sewing again. I am starting with an easy project. So I thought. Can you help me with any suggestions. Thanks.

Chica 03/10/2011 at 6:18 pm

Hi Donna! Welcome to our site, and we’re so happy to hear that you love our sewing tutorials. Unfortunately, we haven’t done anything with mitered corners before, so I’m afraid I don’t have any advice to give. Good luck and let us know if you find any good tutorials to share!

Rebecca 06/11/2012 at 4:09 pm

I noticed that on the second side with the pins that can be sewn over the fabric seems to pucker a bit. This always happens to me and I don’t know why. I think I’ll start sewing with the pins in the same direction as I’m sewing because it doesn’t look like it puckers. Also, when it tightens up the ends of the fabric don’t end up together and it can be a problem. Why is this? Thanks and I love the videos. This is becomimg my new hobby if I could ever get good at it.

Chica 06/12/2012 at 6:51 am

Hi Rebecca! I’m not sure what is causing your problems with sewing over the pins… maybe using thinner pins might help? Or just start putting the pins in the same direction as the seam, as you suggested. I’m glad these videos are helping you develop your hobby. Practice is the key, and is very affordable if you use some cheap scrap fabric or re-claimed fabric from an old shirt, sheet, or tablecloth. Then you can experiment without worrying about ruining expensive fabric!