Christmas Advent calendar clothespin wreath

by: Jo

Christmas Advent calendar clothespin wreath

With Thanksgiving behind us, as we are munching on the leftovers from our family meals, we are starting to think more about Christmas.  One of our favorite ways to count down to Christmas is with an advent calendar, and this year I decided to make a Christmas advent calendar based on our popular Thanksgiving clothespin wreath.

The first thing I did was to paint about 50-55 traditional wooden clothespins a bright red.

Then I used a silver marker to write numbers 1 through 24 on the clip end of 24 of the clothespins.

When they were dry, I clipped the clothespins onto a 12″ wire frame wreath, alternating between numbered ones and solid red ones. If you find that your clothespins don’t quite fill the wreath (mine didn’t), just fill in with solid ones. It’ll look fine if you just leave this area at the top, or cover it with a bow.

Then, to really add some sparkle, I added glitter! I applied glue to the tips of the numbered clothespins and to the entire surface of the solid red ones, then sprinkled liberally with some silver glitter. Ooh, so pretty!

I tied a big bow in coordinating ribbon, and attached it to the top of the wreath.

As a final touch, I picked out two decorative wooden snowflakes and trimmed them with glitter.

I added the words “Christmas means…” to the snowflakes, and hung them in the middle of the wreath. This represents what the advent calendar symbolizes to my family. Each day, we will decide on something that Christmas means to us, and we’ll write it on one of the clothespins. What a fun and meaningful way to count down the days until Christmas!

And besides, just look how gorgeous this thing looks on the front door!

Christmas Advent calendar clothespin wreath

Michelle, Muffin Tin Mom 11/27/2009 at 7:05 pm

I was hoping and praying, you would make one for Christmas!!! Yipee! I LOVE it!

Jo 11/27/2009 at 11:50 pm

Michelle, my family loved the Thanksgiving one so much I really didn’t have a choice! The Christmas one went up on the door today when I took the other one down. Glad you like it!

sharla 11/29/2009 at 12:07 pm

I love this! Can I link and post a photo? Let me know if that is ok! I loved your thanksgiving one and this is even more fabulous!

Chica 11/29/2009 at 1:34 pm

Hi Sharla! We’re happy to have you link to our post. Thanks for asking :)

Hannah 12/02/2009 at 8:12 pm

This is adorable! i love this!

Sue 12/20/2009 at 12:43 pm

I am thinking of adapting a clothespin wreath with little pictures at the end of the wreath represeting items that my son likes (wants/needs) and have him use the clothespin for what he needs… in lieu of his icon book for the holiday… Do you think this would work?

Jo 12/20/2009 at 4:40 pm

Sue, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work! What a great idea. Please share photos in our Flikr group if you do it!