Sewing 101: Lesson 1 — Finding your way around the machine Posted by Jo
October 20, 2009
Jo

Remember back in September when I promised to share with you tutorials for learning to sew?  Well, here it is!  I promise, the rest of the videos in this series won’t take nearly so long!  This first video has been delayed quite a bit from my need to refresh what few video editing skills I possessed.  We decided to start out with just a basic overview of the sewing machine and its parts.  Next time, we will get into sewing a basic line.  How exciting!

Sewing 101: Lesson 1 — Finding your way around the machine

If you have trouble viewing the embedded video, try viewing it directly here.

1. Alex said: (October 20th, 2009 at 3:59 pm)

Hahahha, you guys are really funny :)
    The video is very useful though, I have no idea where to start with a sewing machine but now I’m willing to try!

2. Jo said: (October 21st, 2009 at 11:06 am)

Alex, good luck getting to know your machine! It really isn’t quite as scary as I originally thought. I am excited about our next lesson that involves actual sewing. If I can just learn to keep things going in a straight line!

3. Rachel said: (October 21st, 2009 at 4:45 pm)

This is awesome! I love the intro. =) I’m so excited about this series, people are going to LOVE this, you guys are awesome!

4. Jo said: (October 21st, 2009 at 4:58 pm)

Rachel, thanks for the support! We had a lot of fun doing the video even though we obviously ran into a few bumps along the way. You should have seen the unedited footage!

5. amanda said: (October 22nd, 2009 at 12:08 am)

thanks so much i need to see this…i havent been able to figure out my machine

6. Anne said: (October 23rd, 2009 at 9:10 am)

This is a great video!! Many people are afraid of a sewing machine because of all the moving parts and dials and such, but this helps them “make friends” with their machines.

I posted a link to your video on Craft Gossip Sewing.
    –Anne

7. Jo said: (October 23rd, 2009 at 9:26 am)

Anne, thanks so much for sharing our video on your site! Thanks to Chica, the machine is a little less scary to me now.

8. Dee said: (October 24th, 2009 at 4:25 am)

Great video! I have used my machine, but every time i do i have my manual beside me. I always seem to mess something up, this will help me understand my machine alot more.
    ty for this … I won’t be as afraid of mine as i have been in the past, that upper tension thing has had me baffled…. i think my machine isn’t labeled either… good tips.. thanks again!