Candy corn felt sachets for Halloween

by: Chica

Candy corn felt sachets for Halloween

Jo has been busy planning her daughter’s Halloween party, so we were talking last week about making some treat bags for the kids. Our egg-shaped felt sachets were such a hit that we knew a similar design would be great for Halloween candy. And what better symbol to represent Halloween candy than candy corn? So I got some craft felt in yellow, orange, and white, and I got to sewing. (If you haven’t figured out yet that I’m Jo’s personal seamstress, you haven’t been paying enough attention!)

For each sachet, you will need the following:

• 1 piece of yellow felt cut 4″ x 3.5″
  • 2 pieces of orange felt cut 4″ x 2″
  • 2 pieces of white felt cut 4″ x 3″
  • 1 piece of ribbon 24″ long

For an extra touch, trim the long sides of the orange felt pieces with pinking shears

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Start by placing the two orange pieces on either side of the yellow piece, overlapping by just a tiny bit. Make sure the orange pieces are on top, and pin in place.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Take the piece to the sewing machine and sew the orange pieces down.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Now place the two white pieces on either side of the orange, and overlap them just a tiny bit. Again, make sure the orange is on top. Pin in place.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Use the sewing machine to sew the pieces together.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Flip the piece over, then fold the two ends of the white pieces in one inch. Pin in place.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Again, go to the sewing machine and sew where you have pinned. This seam will create the pocket for the drawstring at the top of the pouch.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Fold the entire piece in half, inside out (the orange piece that you used the pinking shears on should be facing the inside). Take it to the sewing machine and sew up either side, but stop when you get to the seam for the white pocket. You don’t want to sew the pocket closed, or else you won’t be able to get the drawstring in there!

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Now the sewing is done on the piece. Go ahead and turn it right side out.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

You’ll notice right away that the white part at the top is a little too wide, since it didn’t get sewn like the rest of the sides did. To take care of that, just flatten it as best you can and snip off the ends with some scissors.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Then, using our tip for threading a drawstring, put a safety pin on the end of your ribbon and use that to help you feed the ribbon through the pocket of the sachet. Once you’ve got it through both sides and back out the same place it went in, you can remove the safety pin.

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

Now just pull the ribbon and tie it in a bow, and you’re done!

candy corn felt sachetscandy corn felt sachets

I mean seriously… how cute are these? You can fill them with any small candy or toys, but of course candy corn looks the best! And they were so easy and inexpensive to make, too. I made twelve of them in about an hour, with only about $4 worth of supplies.

candy corn felt sachets

candy corn felt sachets

Candy corn felt sachets for Halloween

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts 10/19/2009 at 12:29 pm

Cute! I love all things candy corn! :)

Rachel 10/19/2009 at 4:11 pm

Wow, I love this! Candy corn is soooo pretty! Thanks tons, I’ll be linking.

Amanda 10/20/2009 at 10:13 am

How cute is that? Love it, great idea!

Chica 10/20/2009 at 10:23 am

Thanks everybody. I can’t wait for the kids to see them at the party next Saturday!

Emily 10/22/2009 at 7:43 am

These are so cute!

maryanne 10/22/2009 at 9:28 am

What a cute idea – simple too! Thanks for the tutorial!

Chica 10/22/2009 at 9:31 am

Emily, thanks!

maryanne, simple is just the way I like it sometimes :) Enjoy!

Melissa K. 10/22/2009 at 9:50 am

Ack! This is so cute, and easy too? What could be better. I think some work friends will be getting these. :)

Sharla 10/23/2009 at 1:31 am

OH I love it. I just stayed up making candy corn trick or treat bags and then I turn on my computer to check my email and see this on the Crafty Crow. So cute– i just love candy corn anything!

Mary 10/23/2009 at 11:22 am

These are fantastic — thanks so much! Thanks also for mentioning how long it took you to make a dozen — that’s a key detail for me since I might be making 20 or so!

Chica 10/23/2009 at 11:28 am

Mary, making them assembly-line style really helps speed it up when you’re making a bunch. Sew all the orange pieces on, then the white, then the pockets, etc. Hope my estimate works out to be right for you. :)

artsy_momma 10/25/2009 at 7:41 pm

Those are too cute for words! I think I will do these next year for sure!

Denise 07/15/2010 at 9:26 pm

Adorable!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

michelle 09/29/2010 at 4:23 pm

what is the finished measurments ? These are way cute

Chica 09/30/2010 at 9:45 am

Michelle, the finished bag is about 3 1/2″ wide and about 5″ tall. You could of course make the bag in any size by adjusting the size of the pieces of felt you work with.

Marisa 10/09/2010 at 7:14 pm

These are SO cute! Perfect little treat bags. I can’t wait to make some!

Dawn 10/12/2010 at 1:35 pm

Absolutely fab! Saw this floating on Twitter this morning! Do you have a version for those of us who are allergic to sewing machines?

Chica 10/12/2010 at 2:38 pm

Hi Dawn! We’re glad Twitter brought you our way. I’m afraid you’ll have to take some allergy medicine and do some sewing to make these little bags :) It’s not too much, though, so you could always sew it by hand without too much work!

Barb 11/01/2010 at 10:36 am

My daughter-in-law and I had the best time making the Candy Corn bags. She cut them out and I sewed them together. Everyone loved them. Thanks for the easy project that was sssooooo cute!!!

Jo 11/01/2010 at 2:31 pm

Barb, we are so glad you all enjoyed making them.

Kara 08/28/2011 at 1:59 pm

These are darling!! Thanks so much for the tutorial — I am anxious to make them for my sons’ teachers for school!

shannon 09/02/2011 at 12:41 pm

Omg!! These are so cute, you gave great instructions, I can’t wait to make some for my kids, their class and friends!! Thank you for the awesome idea!!

Iris 10/14/2011 at 12:18 am

Absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing! I linked to my blog here:

Donna Hass 10/14/2011 at 4:20 am

Simple,but cute and easy!

Chica 10/14/2011 at 8:31 am

Thanks for the link, Iris!

Amanda 10/28/2011 at 10:37 am

I love these, they are so cute! I have featured them on Fun Family Crafts today :)

Kris 10/29/2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks for such a cute and easy idea. My 9 year old will wear this!

Ellen Schafer-Decker 10/31/2011 at 1:52 pm

Easy to make AND I already have all the materials :)

Ann 09/25/2012 at 9:56 am

I can’t wait to make these cute bags. I hope to make enough to put candy in to give out on Halloween. The first ones will be the lucky ones and so will my grandchildren. I’ll probably make the grandchildrens’ a little larger to fit little extra treats in them as well. Thanks for the idea.

Chica 09/25/2012 at 10:04 am

Ann, maybe after you make a few you’ll get so good at it that it’ll be easy to create dozens. Or maybe you’ll be tired of it… who knows! :)

Aleta 09/29/2012 at 11:11 pm

Is there anyway you can send me the instructions/pictures? I do so much better when I have a visual along with the instructions. Can’t wait to make these for co-workers. Thanks so much!!

Chica 09/30/2012 at 9:39 am

Aleta, we have set up all of our tutorials so that whenever you print them from your browser, you just get the instructions and photos without all the other extra stuff on the page (like comments and headers). Go ahead and try printing this page, and it should be what you need :)

Julie T 10/23/2012 at 10:09 am

So cute! Glad I found this. Hope you don’t mind that I linked to your project via Pinterest and on my blog.

Chica 10/23/2012 at 10:15 am

Julie, we’re glad you found us too! Please feel free to link to us and pin any of our projects on Pinterest. We love it when you guys spread the word about our fun project ideas!