Mix and match Jack-o-lantern faces

by: Chica

Mix and match Jack-o-lantern faces

Every year when it comes time to decorate my Jack-o-lantern, it’s always hard to decide what sort of face to put on it. Scary? Cute? Funny? If only I had a dozen pumpkins and lots of time, then I could have a little bit of everything. But I don’t, of course, so I always have to choose just one or two designs. But then the other day, I spotted a Mr. Potato Head in my niece’s toy box and inspiration struck. I could make sort of a Mr. Pumpkin Head this year!

I started with, of course, a pumpkin. I used a real pumpkin, but a foam one that can be re-used from year to year would be a great idea, too. Then I got a multi-color pack of craft foam sheets, some double-sided tape, and a pair of scissors, and I started cutting.

multi face jack-o-lantern

I cut eyes, noses, mouths, and eyebrows. Before long, I had six fun faces — a pirate, a monster, a cat, a clown, a goofy face, and a traditional Jack-o-lantern.

multi face jack-o-lantern

I didn’t make a pattern, but in case you want to recreate the faces I made, I’ve scanned all my pieces for reference. Just download our Mix-and-Match Jack-O-Lantern face template to get started.

Next, I cut some small pieces of the fuzzy side of some sticky back Velcro and put them on the pumpkin where I wanted the features to go.

multi face jack-o-lantern

Then I put pieces of the hook side of the Velcro on the backs of all the facial features.

multi face jack-o-lantern

Then I got to play! I had so much fun making all of the different faces, each with a personality all its own.

multi-face jack-o-lanterns

But I couldn’t stop there! I just had to mix it up and make a really fun face. I have to admit that this was my favorite face of all. I can’t wait to show my niece this new Jack-o-lantern. She’s going to have a blast playing with it!

Mix and match Jack-o-lantern faces

Lysana 10/15/2009 at 10:10 am

That’s really funny. I have to do crafts for my daughter’s preschool class and this seems like a neat idea! I may try something similar. Thanks!

Chica 10/15/2009 at 11:17 am

Lysana, I’m sure the preschool kids would love it. My niece (5 years old) stopped by this morning for a visit, and played with the faces on my pumpkin. Her grandma had to drag her away! “Just one more face, please???”

Fe 10/15/2009 at 12:35 pm

This is great! I love the variety. Plus, the pumpkin will last throughout the Halloween season, and you can still cook it if you wanted. Just awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah 10/16/2009 at 1:59 pm

This is awesome, I’ll have to make one of these for my nieces and nephews! Thanks for posting!

Rachel 10/16/2009 at 4:26 pm

That is so cute, what a fun idea! This would be so fun in a classroom. Each kid could do the face one day in October. Thanks so much, I’ll be linking.

Katherine Marie 10/16/2009 at 6:19 pm

SUPER FUN!!! Every kid (plus mom & dad) could get into this mr. pumpkin head craft!!!!!!! Love your faces.

Hollye 10/16/2009 at 8:47 pm

Did you free hand these are did you have templates? If you used templates, can you share where you found them? I want to make one of these for my preschoolers to use.

Chica 10/17/2009 at 9:18 am

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments. I currently have the pumpkin sitting on my kitchen table and I have to admit that I can’t walk past it without changing the face and smiling.

Hollye, I cut the pieces freehand. I thought about providing a template for you guys, but ran out of time. Perhaps you can take my picture of all the face pieces and enlarge it and use that as a guide?

Readers, would you like and use a template? If enough of you say ‘yes’ I’ll make one :)

Hollye 10/17/2009 at 11:11 am

I stink at free handing anything. I am a pattern sort of girl! I will try to make patterns out of your photos, but if you makes patterns, that would be awesome!

Jim 10/18/2009 at 8:45 pm

What a great idea and no pumpkin mess. We actually carved our pumpkins today with our kids. You know scraping out the guts and seeds then cutting the pumpkin being careful not to cut yourself. Well the kids had fun and so did I, but your idea is much cleaner and a great way to try different things on the pumpkin. Once you cut it its done you can’t change it.

Thanks for the ideas

Charlotte 10/26/2009 at 7:45 pm

Yes, please post patterns or templates!! That would be wonderful

Chica 10/27/2009 at 12:49 pm

Hollye and Charlotte, I didn’t have time to make you a formal template, but I put the pieces on the scanner and scanned them in for you. Hopefully you can print the scans out and cut them to use as patterns. See the links at the end of the post above. Enjoy!

Kelly 10/21/2010 at 2:18 pm

This is great! I used some of your ideas and added a witch and owl. I am going to use it as a game for our Halloween party and at my daughter’s kindergarten class. My thought is to have the kids choose a face then blind-fold them and see if they arrange the face correctly or make a new funny face. You could always mix all the pieces up too. I just cut them free hand and also used a combination of craft foam and felt. Just not sure the velcro will work because they could cheat. I’ll have to find some type of sticky backing.

Chica 10/21/2010 at 2:19 pm

What a great idea to turn this into a game for the kids, Kelly. We’d love to see some photos of how your faces turned out if you want to share :)

Phoenix 10/12/2016 at 1:39 pm

What a GREAT IDEA, THANK YOU! Do you have the patterns? I am really not good at free handing anything, so this would be really helpful! Thank you so much again! ;)

Chica 10/14/2016 at 9:46 am

Phoenix, we don’t have a pattern exactly, but I did scan in all my finished pieces to use as a template. There’s a link to the template in the tutorial above. Enjoy!

Darbie Hall 10/23/2016 at 6:50 am

I was wondering if you scanned the face for the pirate and if so if you could send it to me or post it here because it is missing in your scanned felt pieces.

Chica 10/28/2016 at 8:53 am

Sorry Darbie, but we don’t have the pieces anymore and can’t scan them.

...we're sorry, but comments are closed for this post...