Make favor boxes for weddings and more

by: Chica

Make favor boxes for weddings and more

One of my friends who got married this year told me last week that she had the hardest time finding favor boxes to use at the reception. Everything she found was either too ugly or too expensive. Oh how I wish she’d told me about this BEFORE the wedding, or I could have helped! Even though it’s too late to help her now, I thought this would be a great project to do for the rest of you, because there are always tons of occasions where favor boxes come in handy. You can use them for bridal or baby showers, birthday parties, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and so on. Heck, you could even use these for Halloween trick-or-treaters if you’re so inclined. Oh, the possibilities!

First is the most fun part — choosing the cardstock. You can use absolutely any patterned cardstock you like (don’t try using paper; it won’t be stiff enough). A trip to the scrapbook store or craft store will reveal hundreds of choices, and you can easily pick something to suit your occasion. A nice double-sided cardstock will give you extraordinary results, so keep an eye out for that.

Next, download my favor box template and the matching folding guide:

make custom favor boxes Download our
Favor Box
Template
make custom favor boxes Download our
Favor Box
Folding Guide

To get the template pattern onto your paper, you have two options. One method is to print a single template, cut it out, and trace around it onto each sheet of cardstock, then cut the shape out of the cardstock. This method will let you make the most of your cardstock scraps, but it is time-consuming and can lead to imperfect results.

My preferred method is to print the favor box template directly onto the cardstock. Just trim your cardstock to 8.5″ x 11″ and feed it right through your printer. Then cut each one out and you’re ready to go.

With all your templates printed and cut, and with a copy of the color-coded folding guide at your side, you’re ready to go.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Now we’ll score all our folds. To do this, you’ll need a ruler or straight edge and a bone folder. Take a look at the red line on the folding guide. This is our first score. Line the ruler up on your box where the red line indicates, and run the bone folder firmly once or twice along the edge, to make a nice score line.

make custom favor boxes

Then do the same thing for the yellow line and then the green line on the folding guide.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Now look at the four light blue lines on the folding guide, and score each of those.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Your scoring is now completed, but let me take a moment to show you another scoring technique which you may find easier.

Instead of keeping your folding guide on the desk next to you, try cutting it out and laying it on top of the box piece. Then your score lines are right there where you can easily see them, and you can score right through the template and the box piece at the same time. You’ll have to press a little harder, but this can be a great way to keep things lined up. In fact, you may want to try this technique for the first couple of boxes you make, until you get a good feel for it!

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

With your box fully scored, it’s time to now fold it. Just bend each of the score lines and they’ll fold easily. You’ll end up with something that looks like this:

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

To put the box together, the first thing you need to do is attach the two ends so that you’ve got a box shape. There’s a little tab on one end that needs to be taped to the other end, and I’ve got a really easy trick for making that line up perfect and straight.

Flip the piece over so the inside is on top (isn’t my double-sided card stock gorgeous?) and the tallest part of the box is on the right. Fold that tall part over on the first crease.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Now take a strip of double-sided tape and stick it on the tab, right where I’m pointing in this picture. You might like to try the double-sided tape sheets that we sell in our Amazon store, because they are super sticky, so your boxes won’t come apart.

make custom favor boxes

Lift the left end of the box and bend it along the first fold line. When folded, it should meet the other end of the box perfectly.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Press firmly to secure the tape, and when you let go you’ll see that you now have a box shape forming.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Find the top of the box and bend in the two side flaps, then tuck in the lid.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

This will give you a nice flat surface which will help you put together the bottom of the box, which is a little trickier.

make custom favor boxes

For the bottom of the box, start by folding in the square tab that has the notch in it. Then fold in the two side pieces.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

Now fold in the fourth flap, and gently push it down at the center, which will push the other flaps out of the way slightly.

make custom favor boxesmake custom favor boxes

When you’ve (gently!) pushed far enough, you will hear a slight snap as the tab pops into the hole. When you release pressure, the flaps will move back in place and you’ll have a nice, smooth box bottom.

Ta-da! The box is done!

make custom favor boxes

Well, it’s done unless you want to fill it and embellish it, that is! There are tons of things you can tuck inside the box, like Jordan almonds for a wedding, or Hershey’s Kisses for just about any occasion.

make custom favor boxes

And when it comes to embellishing the box, you have lots of options. You can tuck the lid’s flap inside the box or you can leave it out. If you leave it out, you could even add a little self-stick Velcro dot under the flap to make it easy to open and close repeatedly

make custom favor boxes

And a satin ribbon tied around the box in a cute little bow will send you way off the cuteness charts.

make custom favor boxes

You could even print your photo (or other emblem) onto cute little 1″ round stickers and use them to seal the box closed. How sweet would that be at a wedding?

Readers, we’d love to hear more ideas on how to decorate these boxes and more uses for them besides wedding favors. Please share your ideas in the comments!

Make favor boxes for weddings and more

Gardenia 10/02/2009 at 4:40 am

These are just the sweetest boxes I have seen. I love them! Great job and very creative!

Chica 10/02/2009 at 6:16 am

Thanks, Gardenia!

Jody 10/02/2009 at 9:07 am

You can also recycle nice cards (birthday cards, Christmas cards, etc) to make gifts boxes that are a good size for gift cards.

Chica 10/02/2009 at 12:41 pm

Great idea, Jody! I might have to try that out.

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor 10/03/2009 at 2:20 pm

Beautiful little box! It would make a great way to package polymer clay jewelry for gift boxes. Thanks for the idea!

Chica 10/03/2009 at 3:10 pm

Oh, good thinking, Cindy! I bet you can really use something like this for your awesome polymer clay creations :)

Ashley 11/16/2009 at 4:50 pm

Definitely using this for my cookie packaging for our cookie swap! Thank you so much!

marj 11/19/2009 at 10:28 am

this is crazy CUTE!!!!!!!!!! Totally love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sidrah 01/23/2010 at 9:56 am

Hey this is really Awesome!!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!

Sue K 02/09/2010 at 11:24 am

These are going to work great for my daughters Valentine gift for her class. Thanks for all your great ideas.

Hayley P 03/25/2010 at 12:21 am

great idea. I am making these little boxes as a bridal shower favor for my sister. I am going to make homemade tea bags and have the girls fill them with different ingredients. These boxes will be the perfect thing to put the tea bags in!

Chica 03/25/2010 at 7:34 am

Hayley, that is a gorgeous idea. We’d love to see how the tea bags come out. Please share a photo after the shower if you can!

Rose 04/23/2010 at 10:00 am

These are some fantastic ideas. You have inspired me. My daughter is getting married in June and we will be using the the wedding program template and the wedding favor boxes. Thank you so much for sharing your projects. Do you have any ideas for making wedding favors? Some of those would be really helpful, (giggle), as if you haven’t already been. You seem to be really savvy when it comes to being creative. I appreciate your input. ☺

Chica 04/23/2010 at 10:38 am

Hi Rose! Thanks so much for the kind words about our site. We don’t have a lot of favor ideas on the site right now, but have you seen our LifeSavers candy party favors? They’re one of my favorites. We’re always coming up with new ideas, so keep checking back and maybe you’ll see something from us soon. Good luck with the wedding!

Julie (Knitting and Sundries) 05/05/2010 at 12:35 am

This is great!! Thank you so much!!

laurie pagel 05/15/2010 at 7:19 am

how do you download and transfer it to the cricut
    i know sounds silly i don’t have anything to down on is there a special program to buy
    i have the expression

Jo 05/16/2010 at 9:48 pm

Laurie, as far as I know, you will just need to print our template onto paper and manually cut them out. I don’t know how to get the Cricut to cut designs that aren’t on a cartridge. If any of our Cricut expert readers out there know of the program, I would LOVE to hear about it and how to use it.

Patricia Dunn 06/08/2010 at 6:39 pm

This is the best instructions I’ve gotten on how to fold a box, and I’ve looked at a lot! Thank you so much. I plan on making them for my sister’s wedding next year. Patricia

Jo 06/08/2010 at 10:13 pm

Patricia, glad we could help! We would love to have you share the ones you make in our Flickr group.

Jacinta 06/18/2010 at 9:21 pm

These are super cute! I am getting married in Feb and will be using these for our wedding favour box. We are going to use black with black ribbon and put some lovely mints inside. I just had a go at making one it was pretty easy and looks really good! Thanks so much for sharing :o)

Jo 06/18/2010 at 9:39 pm

Jacinta, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. We are glad we could help you out. Please share a photo of your boxes in our Flikr group.

Susan 07/19/2010 at 4:12 pm

Loved the box pattern! I made 24 for a bridal shower–used your idea for fabric scanned for the cardstock…dark purple print outside and lace backed with purple for the inside. To save printer ink, I first made a master sheet of the purple fabric, copied the pattern on the back and cut it out. For additional boxes, I just printed the lace on one side and the cut-out dark purple on the other. Worked great!

Chica 07/19/2010 at 4:25 pm

Susan, that sounds amazing! Using the scanned fabric technique to make custom cardstock for these boxes was a brilliant idea! We’d love to see how they came out if you want to send us a photo or add one to our Flickr group. Also, that was a great idea for conserving ink. :)

Elaine 04/06/2011 at 6:10 am

Good job….a great idea!!!

Isabel 08/02/2011 at 12:08 am

This is a great thing to do I’m having a quincienera (sweet 15) and I am planing to use this for my party favors im just going to buy some stickers with my picture and stick them onto the party favor boxes which i plan to make blue. THX SOOOOOOO Much

Chica 08/02/2011 at 7:02 am

Isabel, sounds like a wonderful favor! We’d love to see a photo of what you create. Congrats on your Quincienera :)

Nancy 11/25/2011 at 6:38 pm

This pattern is fantastic! I reversed it in order to be able to print it on the back of the card stock as it made it easier to see to cut it out. The instructions were perfect and the boxes turned out great! I made 30 of them for baby shower favors. (The theme was “B” is for boy.) I used a mix of geometric navy/white patterned card stock then glued on little “collars” and ribbon bow ties/regular neckties. They turned out great. Thanks so much!

Chica 11/28/2011 at 8:59 am

Sounds adorable, Nancy! We’d love to see a pic if you want to add one to our Flickr group for reader photos. Great idea to print on the back, too.

Angeline 01/08/2012 at 6:09 am

This is such an awesome design. Can’t wait to make them for my wedding. I plan to fill them with flower seeds and bulbs!!

Chica 01/08/2012 at 9:07 am

What a fun idea, Angeline. I’ve never seen that before and think it will be so charming.

Emmi 02/04/2012 at 2:23 pm

Thank you soooo much! I got cardstock on sale 2 packs for $1.18 at Michael’s Crafts & 2 spools of ribbon for $2.30… so the $50 nightmare price for the boxes i wanted became a $3.50 Reality!

Here is the link to the photo of the first one I made! Again…. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Chica 02/04/2012 at 3:34 pm

Emmi, so glad we could help make these boxes affordable for you. You got a great deal at Michael’s, too! I absolutely love your photo, thanks for sharing.

Toni 08/04/2013 at 9:05 pm

Thank you so much for the gift box pattern and directions!
    I am going to make these up and put “bird” prints or rainforest designs on them and make them into “foraging” toys for parrots and other exotic birds!
    Foraging toys are boxes or other items filled with treats and other things so that the birds have to work to find their treats and stuff! Just like in the wild. They can also be filled with shredded paper and other stuff that they can rip apart.
    These toys normally would cost you $8 and up to sometimes $20-$25 a toy!

Chica 08/05/2013 at 8:50 am

Clever idea, Toni. Thanks for sharing!

yaw 09/03/2013 at 7:31 am

Beautiful idea. thanks for posting it