SEP
2009

Super Mario Brothers birthday party invitation

by: Jo

Super Mario Brothers birthday party invitation

A good friend is planning a Super Mario Brothers birthday party for her son next month. I volunteered to help her out because I love making party invitations for kids parties. She happily agreed to let me do the work for her, so I pulled out my Nintendo DS and Super Mario game to get some inspiration!  I decided to use the question mark box and the 1-Up mushroom to construct my invitation.

First, I selected my envelopes to make sure my finished invitation would fit.  I can’t tell you how many times I learned this lesson the hard way!  Next, I cut a simple 5×7 rectangle (the perfect size for my envelope) out of blue card stock for my background.  For all of the paper used in this project, I used whatever I had available so you will see different shades of blue and yellow in my pictures.  I figured it doesn’t matter since the invitations are all going to different places!

Next, I cut a 4.5 inch square out of yellow paper.  I used my eyelet setter to attach it to the background paper.  I ran out of yellow grommets partway through so I also used yellow brads.  Either works just fine.

Mario_Invite1

Now, it is time to make the question marks.  I used the Cricut Keystone set to real dial size 4 and cut a shadow image out of a different shade of yellow.  Then, I cut a basic question mark out of white.

Mario_Invite2

If you do not have this cartridge or even a Cricut, download our template to cut out your question marks.  You’ll need the template for the mushroom later, too.

Super Mario Brothers Invitation Template Super Mario Brothers Invitation Template (PDF)

I then used my Xyron sticker machine to adhere the questions marks together and to the box. A sticker machine is a must in conjunction with a Cricut, in my opinion.

Mario_Invite2_5

Mario_Invite3

Now it is time to work on the mushroom insert!  First, you will want to download our Super Mario Invitation template and cut out the shapes. Then trace the mushroom cap onto green card stock and the mushroom bottom onto light tan card stock. Trace and cut out as many as you need of each, depending on the number of invitations you’re making.

Mario_Invite4

Next, use either a Cricut machine or a circle cutter to cut out three 1.5 inch circles.  Adhere one of the circles in the middle of the mushroom cap and the other two equally spaced on either side.

Mario_Invite5

At this point, you will need to flip the cap over and cut the excess white along the edge to match the edge of your mushroom cap.

Mario_Invite6

When you are finished, you should have a cap and a face piece.

Mario_Invite7

Use a beaded line of glue along the top of the face to adhere it to the cap. Now, it is time to add the little details.  Since this is a 1-up mushroom, I wanted to write that somewhere on there. I chose to write “5-up” on the middle circle since my friend’s son will be celebrating his 5th birthday.

Mario_Invite8

Next I drew narrow, black ovals for the eyes and that made all the difference. We were totally looking like Nintendo now!

Mario_Invite9

You might be wondering now where on earth the actual party information is going to go. Well, here is your answer and it happens to be the trickiest part of this project.  Take some white card stock and cut a rectangle approximately 4 inches tall by 3 inches wide.  The proportions here might be different for you.

Mario_Invite10

You want to be able to adhere the white box to the mushroom cap without the white poking out the bottom or top of the yellow box. The mushroom cap should also fit far enough down inside your yellow box so that the top of the cap does not come up over top of the blue background paper.

Mario_Invite11

As you see in the picture above-left, I used an invitation stamp to delineate: for, time, date, and place. You can hand write all of this information or you could type it on your computer and print it on heavier white paper. However you do it, make sure it fits onto the white card stock square with a bit of room to spare at the top for attaching the mushroom cap.

The birthday boy was very pleased with his invitations!  They were a lot of fun to make and I can’t wait to attend his party. Now, back to that Super Mario Brothers game I was playing!

Super Mario Brothers birthday party invitation

Kelly 09/28/2009 at 1:27 pm

Super clever! :)

Kathy4Mario2bparty 09/30/2009 at 1:11 pm

This is great… Even though my son’s SUPER 8 Mario Party isnt till Feb. 05, 2010 I am already gathering my ideas for his Party. THANKS so much I wanted a unique invite and you just gave exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks…

Jo 09/30/2009 at 2:34 pm

Kathy, so glad we could help. Will let you know if we have any other ideas.

Ruth 01/16/2010 at 3:02 pm

Omg, these are adorable I just made them, they were super easy and they look great, best of all I had every thing on hand so it makes it seem like they cost nothing. Thanks so much for your creativity and ability to share it with others.

Jo 01/16/2010 at 11:33 pm

Ruth, I am so glad they turned out well for you. Would love to see yours if you would add some pictures to our Flikr group. I hope your party goes well!

Sarai 01/17/2010 at 8:27 pm

Omg! These are really great! You are super creative. My son’s 7th birthday is coming up. He wants a super mario bros theme. I was looking for the perfect invitations and these are it! Thanks so much I know theyll be a hit!!- Sarai

Jo 01/17/2010 at 10:51 pm

Sarai, so glad you like them! I hope all the party plans go well. Make sure you check out the Super Mario party games as well.

Valerie 03/10/2010 at 4:01 am

I love the invitations. I also used the template and took it a step forward. I made a box out of felt and took the ? and put on it. Added Choc coins for the kids to take home.

scarlet 03/25/2010 at 12:25 pm

WOW I love this so much I am already hoping that my son is a huge Mario fan so i can have a Mario Party for him. He will be 7 Feb 5 2010… I have some time but it is going to be fun!

Jo 03/25/2010 at 9:11 pm

We have more ideas coming soon!

Nelda 05/06/2010 at 10:53 am

I love your invite, How did you do the treat bags ???????

Jo 05/06/2010 at 1:12 pm
    Alicia 06/13/2010 at 8:10 pm

I love the party invites. I was searching the web for cute ideas for my son’s Mario party and came across these. They are exactly, if not better, than what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the great idea. Keep up the good work!

Jo 06/13/2010 at 10:07 pm

Glad we could help you out, Alicia. If you like, please share any pictures from your Mario party with us in our Flikr group!

Catherine 08/15/2010 at 12:54 am

I am so glad I came across your invitation design on the web. It is soooo cute! My son will be 3 in September and is insisting on a Super Mario Bros party. (I know he’s young but he totally loves Mario & Luigi). I am 90% done with the invitations to his party and can’t wait to mail them! Thank You for your creativity!!!

Jo 08/15/2010 at 9:25 am

Catherine, we would love to see pictures of your invitations and party! Please share them with us by emailing or adding them to our Flikr group.

Tara 10/29/2010 at 6:33 pm

These are the cutest! It fits our theme completely! I plan to use this design for Thank You cards. We had a mushroom and ?-cake. Its just perfect. Thanks for the good idea!

anjelica 04/17/2011 at 12:09 am

Awesome, thanks for posting! I made these for my son’s 6 birthday, he LOVES them. I added to the bottom “Letsa play and celebrate X’s big day!!”. I know Mario says Let’s-a play in one of the games, but can’t exactly recall which one. “Itsa go time” (from the Super Mario Bros Wii game) would probably work, too. :) Thanks again!

Chica 04/17/2011 at 8:38 am

Great idea using Mario’s phrases, Anjelica!

Nadia Myres 06/10/2012 at 9:42 pm

Thank you sioo much for sharing your invitation! Its super cute !

Madeline 11/18/2014 at 7:07 pm

My daughter’s birthday is in April 2014 and she wants a Princess Peach theme more girly. Any ideas I will include these also it is a big place.

Thank you!

Chica 11/22/2014 at 8:39 pm

Madeline, check our our full Princess Peach party post for lots of girly party ideas!

wanda 06/15/2015 at 8:05 pm

Where do you get envelopes big enough for the invites?

Chica 06/18/2015 at 7:06 pm

Wanda, you can get large invitation envelopes at just about any office supply store. We suggest getting the envelopes first and then making the invitation sized to match.