Chili cook-off party invitations Posted by Chica
September 7, 2009

As much as I hate to admit it, summer is winding down. The only good thing about that is that it means it’s almost time for us to host our annual chili cook-off with our friends! This is, without a doubt, my favorite party of the year, because it’s so fun and easy and the food is always terrific. After last year’s party, I shared a bunch of ideas and tips for hosting a chili cook-off with you, including my downloadable voting ballots and scoring worksheet, and a fun idea for making scoring/sampling trays.

This year, I’ve got a new party item to throw into the mix — chili cookoff party invitations that look like a crock pot full of chili! The finished invitations are sized to fit perfectly in a standard size 4 3/8″ x 5 3/4″ invitation envelope.

chili cook-off party invitation

Cute little crock pot, right? Guess what happens if you pull up on the lid?

chili cook-off party invitation

What a fun way to reveal the party details!

chili cook-off party invitation

If you like these invitations, you can purchase our template to customize and print your own. It’s part of our Chili Cookoff Printables collection that’s available on Etsy. This collection lets you make:

If you’re hosting a chili cook-off this fall, we’d love to hear all about it! And if you’re looking for some ideas for decorating, here are a few of our favorites.

Fiesta Chili Pepper Serving DishesFiesta Chili Pepper GarlandChili Pepper PinataChili Pepper Confetti

1. Rachel said: (September 7th, 2009 at 5:32 pm)

ARGH! That is the cutest invite ever! I love the lid. I’ll be linking.

2. Lysana said: (September 8th, 2009 at 10:40 am)

Oh GEEZ. That is ridiculously cute. My only question is, what if people, um, can’t figure it out? Heh.

3. Chica said: (September 8th, 2009 at 10:48 am)

Thanks Rachel!

Hehe Lysana! I did think about that when designing this, but I couldn’t bear to put a pull-tab or arrow on the lid and ruin the cute effect. If you think folks won’t be able to figure it out, you can always write “PULL” or draw an arrow on the cardstock, right above the lid :)

4. trek said: (September 9th, 2009 at 7:53 am)

Clever without being too cutesy!

5. Chica said: (September 9th, 2009 at 8:00 am)

Thanks trek!

6. ginger said: (September 13th, 2009 at 6:14 pm)

This is so cute, thank you so much that’s awesome.
    relinking you monday from my blog you rock!!!
    hugs

7. Denise said: (September 14th, 2009 at 1:40 pm)

Your ideas are awesome! Thank-you so much for sharing them.

8. Laura B said: (September 21st, 2009 at 4:54 pm)

We do a chili cookoff every January for my husband’s birthday. We’re toying with the idea of separate categories, but otherwise we do it a lot like you guys. Thanks for the ideas!

9. Susan said: (October 21st, 2009 at 1:52 pm)

You guys know how to host a party. I would love to hear about your other themed parties for inspiration. Planning on hosting my own chili party this weekend.

10. Chica said: (October 21st, 2009 at 3:55 pm)

Hi Susan. We’ve written up projects from a few of our themed parties in the past. For example, for a zoo-themed birthday party, we did zoo animal cupcakes, zoo animal invites, frozen banana treats, and drawstring giraffe backpacks filled with animal-themed goodies. We also have fun every Kentucky Derby with a betting pool and traditional Derby food.

Check out our parties category for more fun ideas, and we hope something inspires you!

11. Erica said: (October 27th, 2009 at 10:59 pm)

Love it! Can’t wait to use it! On the bottom of your invite, you write, “see back for rules.” Just curious what you write as the rules. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!!

12. Chica said: (October 28th, 2009 at 7:11 am)

Hi Erica. For the rules, you can include anything that suits your party. For example, things like like:

- Your recipe must be homemade
    - Chili is not required to have meat
    - Chili is not required to have beans
    - Bring your chili in a crock pot and bring a ladle
    - Prizes will be awarded for most traditional and most creative chili

I’ve even attended one cook-off where your chili had to have a name and you had to bring the recipe to share with everyone.

Hope that helps!

13. Chica said: (October 29th, 2009 at 12:00 pm)

Readers, be sure to check out madcity girl’s blog. She used our template to create her cook-off invitations, and they turned out great!

14. LOU said: (January 15th, 2010 at 12:27 pm)

Great Template! I will write on the bottom of the backer card stock…”Lift the lid to see whats cooking!”

15. Chica said: (January 15th, 2010 at 4:16 pm)

LOU, that’s such a cute idea. I love it!

16. Emily Campbell said: (September 27th, 2010 at 9:40 am)

Chica & Jo -
    Love all of your thoughts and suggestions for the Chili Cookoff. I’m the president of our PTL for St. Peter’s Lutheran School (Ft. Wayne, IN) and I’ll be hosting our first (hopefully annual) St. Peter’s Chili Cookoff this coming January (2011). I have already “stolen” so many of your ideas!
    THANK YOU!

17. Chica said: (September 30th, 2010 at 9:58 am)

Emily, that sounds like a wonderful fund-raising idea. Please come back after the event and let us know how it went!

18. Julie Lueck said: (August 25th, 2011 at 2:03 pm)

I just found this. I am not a crafty person but I have had so much fun putting these invitations together. I put little steam squiggles around the lid with the middle one having an arrow. This is my first “Friendly Chili Throwdown” hope it is a great success.

19. Jo said: (August 25th, 2011 at 3:42 pm)

Julie, what a great idea to put the steam squiggles on there! We would love to see a picture. Glad it was simple for you to do and we hope your first chili party is a success!

20. Kelly said: (January 22nd, 2013 at 11:15 pm)

These are cuter than cute!! I’m having a neighborhood chili cook-off in a couple weeks and you’ve made it so much easier for me. Love all the templates and practical ideas and suggestions. People will think I’m the creative one, but I will tell them it was Chica and Jo who did it all. Thanks so much!

21. Chica said: (January 23rd, 2013 at 8:28 am)

So glad we could help out, Kelly, and thanks for spreading the word!

22. Grace said: (July 15th, 2013 at 12:38 pm)

These are the cutest thing ever! I posted my invites on Facebook including your URL!