Ideas for a baseball-themed wedding reception Posted by Chica
August 26, 2009

This has been the summer of weddings in my group of friends (remember all the handmade wedding invitations I’ve received?), and a couple of weeks ago I attended a really fun wedding reception that had a baseball theme. It was so fun and full of neat ideas that I just had to share.

A clever guest book

My favorite aspect of the reception by far was the guest book. Nothing ordinary would due for THIS baseball-loving bride and groom. Their guest “book” was actually a baseball jersey! They started by ordering a personalized baseball jersey, complete with their last name and the year of the wedding. Then they laid it flat on a table at the reception and provided several fabric markers with permanent ink for the guests to use to sign the shirt. What an awesome and fun memento once displayed in a shadow box frame. I just love this idea to pieces!

baseball jersey guest book

A wedding logo

The bride had decided to use a baseball theme many months ago, and had told me that she wanted to have some sort of logo to use throughout the event, to unify everything and make it all match. She wanted a stick figure sketch of a bride and groom playing baseball, and I was happy to help her out. Here’s the sketch I made for her, which you are welcome to use for your own wedding, too, if you like.

baseball wedding couple logo

Having read our previous post on ordering custom rubber stamps, one of the first things she did with the sketch was to order a custom stamp from RubberStamps.net. Then she used the stamp on her invitations, envelopes, save-the-dates, and more. It really gave an adorable feel to the wedding.

Some cake ideas

For the wedding cake, my friend was lucky enough to find this cake topper of a bride and groom playing baseball. It was the perfect touch to a gorgeous cake. And just look at how much it resembles the logo I designed for them. Isn’t that neat? For the groom’s cake, a baseball-shaped cake made with Wilton’s Sports Ball Pan Set would’ve been an awesome touch.

baseball cake topperbaseball cake pan

More ideas?

Have any of you been to a sports-themed wedding or have more ideas for having a fun baseball twist? Our bride readers would love more ideas, so please share!

UPDATE!

One of our readers, Michelle, asked us if the baseball bride and groom design above could be tweaked to show other sports. I was happy to oblige, and came up with this design where the bride is throwing a football and the groom is playing basketball. Isn’t it cute?

sports themed wedding logo bride and groom

If you’re planning a sports-themed wedding that’s not just about baseball, you might want to check out our post about sports-themed wedding ideas!

1. Rachel said: (August 28th, 2009 at 3:08 pm)

How fun! I loved themed events that are personal to the bride and groom. These ideas are great, I’ll be linking.

2. Rita said: (August 29th, 2009 at 9:30 pm)

An additional baseball item is a personalized mini-bat from the Louisville Slugger people. The couple’s name and wedding date can be put on the bats and will make a unique remembrance of the couple’s special day.

3. Chica said: (August 30th, 2009 at 4:29 pm)

Great idea, Rita! Personalized bats would be really memorable. Also worth considering are mini baseball bats to match your favorite team.

4. Julie said: (September 3rd, 2009 at 1:36 pm)

My fiance really wants a gold wedding band with a baseball engraved on it. Any ideas where I might find something like that?

5. Chica said: (September 3rd, 2009 at 1:57 pm)

Hi Julie. What a neat and personal idea. I just did a Google search for “outside engraving ring” and got quite a few hits. Try it out and I bet one of them can give you what you’re looking for.

6. Coley said: (September 7th, 2009 at 6:23 am)

Great ideas! My husband and I actually got married on a minor league baseball field right before a the game so we had a baseball themed wedding and reception.

We too used a logo through out things to tie everything together. Ours was a baseball and our names and the date curved around the baseball.

I walked down an “aisle” of 22 steps to the field and then walked through a military style formation of the players holding baseball bats.

Our cake topper was an actual baseball. We had baseball hats that said bride and groom that we only put on for a few minutes to throw out the first pitch and after that they sat on a table with the baseball that the proposal was written on.

Our programs had a “play by play” of the events. Then the bridesmaids and groomsmen were listed as the bride’s team and groom’s team. Our parents were listed as our coaches.

It was a very unique and fun wedding and something that our friends are still talking about. :)

7. Chica said: (September 7th, 2009 at 8:18 am)

Coley, thanks so much for sharing the details of your wedding with us. I’m sure our readers will get lots of inspiration from your ideas. I love everything you did, but I think my favorite part was listing your parents as your coaches on the programs. How perfect and sweet!

8. ray cruz said: (September 15th, 2009 at 12:26 pm)

hi chica and jo.. find your site very interesting..

my fiancee and i are planning for a spa themed wedding.. any ideas how to go about it? thanks…

9. Jo said: (September 15th, 2009 at 4:40 pm)

Ray, what a relaxing wedding that would be! A few ideas to get you going…have massage therapists at the reception that will give guests 15 minute chair massages. Have large pitchers filled with slices of orange and lemon and iced water just like they do at the spas. Make centerpieces out of columns of citrus fruit as well. Give guests little sachets of lavender to take home with a small thank you tag attached. Perhaps you could even cover the chair backs in some white terry cloth fabric to remind your guests of spa towels and robes. It would also be fun to have some white terry cloth slippers next to the dance floor for tired feet! Include lots of aromatherapy lotions in the baskets you make for the guest bathroom. Please send us photos of your reception or add them to our Flickr group!

10. ray cruz said: (September 17th, 2009 at 10:13 am)

hi jo…thank you so much for these super duper bright ideas… i truly love them and will surely have a relaxing wedding because of the ideas that you willingly shared…

please expect the photos of our reception on sept 2010… this we pledge to you as a token of our appreciation for helping us start our dream wedding…

again, my sincerest thanks…

raylyn

11. Elizabeth said: (February 2nd, 2010 at 9:06 pm)

My fiance and I are having a baseball themed wedding and for our guestbook, we are using a Home Plate for people to sign!

12. Jo said: (February 2nd, 2010 at 10:39 pm)

Elizabeth, what a great idea! I would love to see a picture of your signed home plate later.

13. Nikki said: (March 22nd, 2010 at 10:38 pm)

I am planning a baseball theme wedding for next May. I made flowergirl balls that look like baseballs, my ring bearer is going to carry the rings in a baseball glove instead of a pillow, our hordervers are going to be nachos, pretzels, popcorn, ect. I also found awesome invites at greetingvillage.com!

14. Chica said: (March 23rd, 2010 at 7:12 am)

Nikki, I absolutely love the baseball glove idea for the ring bearer! Congrats on your upcoming marriage. The wedding sounds like it will be a lot of fun :)

15. Chrissy said: (May 20th, 2010 at 4:17 pm)

Having baseball themed wedding in 3 weeks at a local minor league ball field! Here is what we are doing for all you baseball brides!

-Save the Dates baseball themed and super cute!

-Colors orange and blue for the Mets–blue attire orange calla lilies

-We are getting ready in the team locker rooms

-Possible mascot of the team will be there and other surprises according to the stadium ( I hope Keith Hernandez comes to announce the wedding party)

-I am wearing my cleats instead of shoes for the ceremony (it is at home plate), that is a surprise!

-Before the ceremony there will be a first pitch I am not sure if me to my fiance or my father to him or what….got to work that out yet

-Walking up dugout stairs and down third baseline

-Want to come in to “Centerfield” but I am not sure if my fiance will go for it.

-For favors baseball sugar cookies. Centerpieces upside down helmets with baseball goodies in them i/e cracker jacks, peanuts

-Other food will be like bbq type food

-seating cards will be actual baseball tickets the stadium is doing for us

-Thank yous are going to be baseball cards

-Our ring bearer is also using a baseball glove

- Guest are permitted to wear their favorite baseball team hat

- Cupcakes with mini baseballs on them

-Mets garter

LOVE LOVE LOVE the home plate as a guest book idea I wish someone did not give me a guest book as a gift!

16. Chica said: (May 20th, 2010 at 4:50 pm)

Wow, Chrissy! What an event! I’m sure you will have a wedding that everyone will remember for a long, long time. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us :)

17. Stacy said: (August 22nd, 2010 at 11:33 am)

Anyone have a creative or clever quote that we can put on our softball favors for the wedding? i saw one that said “in the game of life, two hearts met and became husband and wife’ I wanted something a little more…not so cheesy…could also be funny but i was hoping for something that referred to how life and marriage and baseball / softball can be tied in…

18. Diana said: (September 1st, 2010 at 4:27 am)

Great ideas, thanks for sharing! Wanted to share our Save the Dates… on a post card size card I personalized 3 jersey’s and on the name put SAVE and the number 10 (the month we are getting married), THE 09 (the day) and DATE 10 (the year). Came out super cute and got so many compliments.

19. Chica said: (September 1st, 2010 at 7:55 am)

Fantastic idea, Diana. Thanks for sharing!

20. Greg said: (September 29th, 2010 at 3:25 pm)

My fiancee sent me this link. I LOVE the jersey idea!

I pointed out to her, though, that we couldn’t do it, because she’s planning to keep her last name. Maybe this will change her mind! :P

21. Jo said: (September 29th, 2010 at 9:06 pm)

Greg, you could put both of your names on it? Best of luck!

22. Pati Grady said: (October 19th, 2010 at 9:06 am)

We’d love to introduce your readers to our unique baseball cookies. Cooperstown Cookie Company, direct from Cooperstown, home of baseball, is the only all-natural baseball cookie licensed by Major League Baseball and the National Baseball Hall of Fame. We’re having a $100 spending spree giveaway right now. Visit our website and sign up to win – no purchase necessary.

23. Cindy said: (September 7th, 2011 at 5:15 pm)

To Stacy::::::

BASEBALL THEME:
    My son is getting married in a couple weeks. We are having some fortune cookies at the rehearsal dinner …. with messages inside like

_________(his name) and _______(her name) are sure to be a “hit” as they are both a great “catch”

Thank you for sharing our special GAME day with us

_________ (his) and ________ (her) are batting a 1,000, now that they are on the same team

We are thrilled that Carrie has joined the Howell team

These may be cheesy but fit the bill to show we are happy for them!!!! and wish them much happiness.

24. Chica said: (September 7th, 2011 at 6:43 pm)

Cindy, those phrases are super cute!

25. Kevin in DE said: (January 22nd, 2013 at 10:32 pm)

Hi Jo! I love your posts and I love all the baseball themed ideas.

My fiance and I got engaged at a baseball game and are working the baseball them e into our entire wedding. We are doing custom baseballs, tickets as placecards, our invitations had stitching across the corners, etc.