Crayola crayon party invitations

by: Jo

Crayola crayon party invitations

After helping Chica peel crayons for handing out at the craft fair, we had a few actual Crayola crayon boxes left over.  I started thinking of what I could do with some of the leftover, unpeeled crayons and the empty boxes, and decided they would make a great party invitation.  Even though I didn’t have a party to plan for my own daughters any time soon, I went ahead and made up one of the invitations to share with you. I’m also going to show my sister-in-law so she can use it for my niece’s upcoming birthday.

First, you will need a box of crayons.  I used the box of 24 because that is what I happened to have on hand.  A box of 8 crayons might be a better fit if you’re planning to mail the invitations, since they are smaller. You’ll also be about to put a new wrapper on each of the 8 crayons.

Next, download our free label template and update the text on each crayon wrapper to include your party information.  Print out enough copies for each of your guests.  Cut out each label and match it to the corresponding crayon color.  I did not bother removing the original wrappers from the crayons and found this helped my new wrapper stick better.

crayola_crayon_invitationcrayola_crayon_invitation

crayola_crayon_invitationTo make my new labels sticky, I used my Xyron sticker machine.  You could also use a small bead of glue but that would be just a bit messier.  Or just print the labels directly onto sticker paper if you have some on hand, and then cut them out.

Once you have all of the crayons covered, place them back into the box.  If you use a larger box like I did, you might want to make a label or hand write a little note on the outside lid giving a hint as to what is inside. (Otherwise, people think “crazy Jo” decided to just mail them a box of crayons!)

crayon invite

UPDATE! If you want to kick this idea up another notch, check out the customizable crayon box template that Chica made. You can download our free template, customize it with your party details, and use it to make your own boxes (each holds 8 crayons). So cute!

custom crayon box template

Crayola crayon party invitations

Rachel 08/17/2009 at 2:32 pm

Wow, those are super creative, I love this! Thanks os much, I’ll be linking.

Deb 08/22/2009 at 6:04 am

My oldest is turning 4 soon – thanks for the great invitation idea!

Party Invitations 08/29/2009 at 1:06 am

Wow…those crayon invitations are super cute and unique. You have lots of great ideas on this site.

Melissa 09/18/2009 at 6:15 pm

This is a great idea!! Im using this for my wedding next year. I am making activity books for the kids.. and i though this is another cute detail that expresses me!! I love kids.. and i love details.. so this is great!! thanks!

Chica 09/19/2009 at 5:29 pm

What a great idea Melissa! Personal touches always make any wedding that more special. We’d love to see photos of what you make!

Stefani 10/07/2009 at 12:13 pm

My husband and I have adopted one child and are waiting to adopt our second son. We are going to have a party to celebrate our new family. This would be a great invite. I’m thinking the invite could say “Color Our Family Happy” or maybe Complete? Thanks for making the template available.

Jo 10/07/2009 at 12:31 pm

Stefani, congratulations on your expanding family! I love either tag line that you suggested with a slight preference for “Color Our Family Complete”. That really lets the guests know what they are helping you celebrate. Please send us pictures of your finished invites or add them to our Flikr group.

Emily Vandall 11/02/2009 at 1:52 pm

This has helped me decide to have an Art Party for my soon-to-be 3-year-old. Thanks!

marj 11/19/2009 at 10:36 am

wow!!!!!! i am totally in-love with your site & ideas, Chica & Jo! super Gifted people…thanks for sharing..this will be perfect for my daughter’s birthday..she will be 4! excellent!

Chica 11/19/2009 at 10:56 am

Thanks marj! We’re happy you’ve found us and hope you continue to enjoy our site. Why not subscriba via e-mail or RSS so you never miss a new project? :)

sally 11/26/2009 at 2:53 am

Hi,
    do you make these crayon box invites for sale?
    Would you be willing to make 20?
    I can pay through paypal.
    Thanks!
    Sally

Jo 11/27/2009 at 11:53 pm

Sally, sorry we don’t make these boxes for sale. The template is easy to use. You just fill out your own information, cut out the rectangles and glue or tape them to your crayons. If you have problems with the template, let me know and I can help you customize it for your party.

Michele 01/14/2010 at 7:40 pm

oh my gosh… i totally love the crayon invite idea… my son who will be 4 wants a crayon party .. so when i have been searching for ideas and came across this i was super excited and my search is over… its so hard to find crayon ideas and you made my day… thanks sooooooo much and thanks for making the template available… you are awesome

Emily Vandall 01/17/2010 at 9:37 am

I used this for my son’s birthday party. I made a 6×6 custom coloring book for each child invited and attached a box of crayons with your wrappers. Thanks for the excellent idea and for the template.

Jo 01/17/2010 at 10:51 am

I would love to see pictures of the custom coloring book. What a neat idea! Please share in our Flikr group if you can.

ALEX 02/09/2010 at 12:24 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH I WAS ALREADY PLANNING A COLOR THEME PARTY FOR MY TWO YR OLD BIRTHDAY PARTY; AND I CAME ACROSS THIS IDEA. SO CUTE AND EASY OH AND DID I MENTION EASY MY FAVORITE THING. AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Chica 02/12/2010 at 8:35 am

One of our readers, Kathy, recently shared a photo of her crayon party invites. I’ve added it to our Flickr group so you can all see! Check it out here.

Pashen 06/01/2010 at 10:17 am

This is a great idea!!!!! I am using this for my daughter’s crayon themed birthday party. Do you know where I can find a crayon box label?

Chica 06/01/2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi Pashen. One of our readers, Kathy, recently did something like this and made her own labels for the boxes. We posted some photos of her work in this post, so check them out. You could just Google for crayon box pictures and use some image-editing software to tweak the image to look how you like. Good luck!

Lucretia 06/09/2010 at 8:49 pm

Hi Chica and Jo, I made these invites for my son’s 2nd birthday. You can see pics here: http://www.ourfamilyunit.com/2010/06/09/crayon-birthday-party-invitations/ They turned out great!

Jo 06/09/2010 at 9:32 pm

Lucretia, we love how you cut the box! How cute! We would appreciate it if you added your photos to our Flikr group linking to your own post.

Ashley Newton 02/25/2011 at 4:43 pm

I love this idea, we are using this with a four pack of crayons! Is there a way to take out the purple and orange boxes?

Chica 02/26/2011 at 2:25 pm

Ashley, our downloadable template is in Word format, and you should be able to edit it to remove any colors you don’t need. Enjoy!

TashaShae 03/17/2011 at 2:08 am

I LOVE THIS IDEA and will be doing it for my son’s 1st birthday. His name is Brayonn which rhymes with crayon so he HAS to have a crayon party and i am so shocked to find that with all these party supply sites none of them have crayon themed supplies. Its been a bit frustrating but i am just going to tap into my creative side and make the best crayon themed party happen :) however I have 2 question, on your template how can i add black and brown boxed for those color crayons? and if you know any other idea to make the party amazing or any site with crayon themed supplies could you let me know please. Thank you so much for all your help

Chica 03/17/2011 at 7:25 am

TashaShae, I’ve just updated the template to include brown and black boxes for you!

Chica 04/07/2011 at 7:15 am

Readers, we now have a customizable crayon box template you can download and print to make your own boxes for the crayon invitation. Be sure to check it out!

nica 07/08/2012 at 1:00 pm

Please help me! i cant use the downloaded template for crayon wrappers. I was not able to type the word in english..it is formated in greek I think. what will I going to do? I appreciate your help.God bless!

Chica 07/10/2012 at 6:55 am

Nica, I’m not sure I understand your problem… you are able to open the template in Microsoft Word, but the words aren’t in English? I wonder if maybe your computer doesn’t have the right font installed? Try selecting the words with your mouse and then changing the font to another one. Maybe that will help?

Liyah 03/04/2013 at 10:06 pm

Love, love, love it!!! I’m borrowing it for some promotional items. From your pics, I can see you have used stickers, what is the dimension of these stickers? I have 120 crayons to make in 3 days, I might just use labels instead of sticker paper to make it easier for me!

Chica 03/06/2013 at 5:27 pm

Liyah, these photos show labels made with our downloadable template with customized text. After printing it out, Jo cut the labels out and then ran them through a sticker machine to make them sticky. You could easily use our template and print directly onto sticker paper, or see if you can find pre-cut labels that are a good size to fit around your crayons.