JUL
2009

How to quickly save crystallized honey

by: Chica

How to quickly save crystallized honey

It seems that honey always has a secret moment when it will turn on you. It can be sitting in your pantry for weeks or months, and then one day you reach for it and it has all crystallized into a lumpy mess. The frustrating part is that you only discover the mess when you actually need the honey, so you’re stuck when it’s unusable. I mean, how can I eat my favorite breakfast of my homemade Greek yogurt with granola and honey if I don’t have any honey?

saving crystallized honeyThe good news is that even though the honey is now chunky, it’s still perfectly safe to eat. It just fell victim to a common reaction that eventually occurs with honey, and has changed form. But you don’t have to toss that half-bottle of golden goodness in the trash. It can be saved! Lots of folks will tell you that the sure-fire way to restore crystallized honey is to put the tightly closed bottle into a bowl full of very warm water and let it slowly heat up until it’s thin and gooey again. I’ve tried this before, and while it does work, it can take hours. When I need my honey, I need it faster than that!

So I came up with a much faster way to restore your crystallized honey in a pinch.

Just scrape the chunky, globby mess out of the bottle (a long iced tea spoon is perfect for this) and into a small pan. Then place the pan on the stove on VERY low heat and stir the honey gently. In just a few minutes, you’ll see the honey turn from cloudy to clear.

saving crystallized honeysaving crystallized honey

When it’s all clear and the chunks are melted, just pour it into a jar and it’s ready to use!

saving crystallized honey

How to quickly save crystallized honey

HFamily 07/10/2009 at 11:30 pm

Just a quick question, is the honey safe to save once it’s been heated on the stove? I’ll have to give this idea a try since my bottle of honey looks like it has mutated!!

Chica 07/11/2009 at 2:09 pm

Hello HFamily! I’m no food expert, but the honey I heated over the stove lasted without any problem for several weeks in my pantry until I had used it all up. It did not re-crystallize and I didn’t notice any bad taste or appearance. Just make sure you use very LOW heat so you don’t damage the honey :)

GioDrakes 08/15/2010 at 12:51 pm

Thank you :oD great idea. I usually use the “put it in hot water” method, but you’re right, it takes HOURS and by the time it’s ready I’m not in the mood for it anymore :o\ Gotta try this next time.

Chica 08/16/2010 at 7:40 am

GioDrakes, I’m all about fast fixes!

Ilene 10/02/2010 at 11:20 pm

I have always microwaved my crystallized honey. Works very fast.

Chica 10/03/2010 at 10:43 am

Thanks for the tip, Ilene. I’ve thought about doing that before but was afraid to overheat it. Sounds like it works well though!

KGo 02/03/2012 at 2:30 pm

I have read that if you microwave honey, you will kill the natural enzymes and eliminate any of the nutritional benefits of honey. This is the same as what happens when you overcook or boil the honey. I’d stick with this low-heat method.

HotDish 04/26/2012 at 6:30 pm

Worked for me! Thanks for the tip! :)

Gary in NYC 05/24/2012 at 5:52 pm

I have also used this technique with success, when the honey hasn’t completely crystallized. If you have honey in a glass jar, you can submerge it into a pot with hot water. After about 10-15 minutes, take the jar out and stir it up. You should start to notice a more gooey consistency like non-crystallized honey. Replace with hotter water as it cools. It shouldn’t take more than 30-45 minutes before the crystals are almost completely gone. I would not microwave the honey, as another reader pointed out. Doing so can affect the nutritional benefits of the honey.

One other technique I learned from another website is that if you buy honey in a very large container that ends up crystallizing before you’re done with it, do the following: Pour out a portion of the honey into a plastic container and put in the freezer. Because of the very low moisture content of the honey, it will not solidify. It will of course become stiff and taffy-like. When you’re ready to use it, take it out of the freezer the day before you need it and place it on your kitchen counter. It should warm up sufficiently by the next day.

Cook 06/22/2012 at 9:19 am

I’ve salvaged crystallized honey using all of the mentioned methods except the mircowave. For sanitary reasons, I like to keep the honey in its original container if at all possible(*). For me, the best method is the VERY slow simmering water jacket, but please loosen or remove the cap. My half gallon is ~4 years old and but half used. Since darn few things (bad bugs) will grow in a substance as sweet as honey, I have littel concern here. I also use honey in very small amounts, usually as a substitute for sugar when baking (Sugar:Honey, 1:.75 is a good place to start)so everything is thorough cooked anyway. I’ve thought about adding a little water once the honey is warm and flowing again, but I’ve never deon it and I don’t think it is necessary. Happy baking to all. -C.

Christa 02/11/2013 at 11:17 pm

Has anyone ever tasted crystalized honey?
    It’s delicious!!! I shopped for crystalized honey today it’s my fav!!!

Marge Cullen 10/05/2013 at 10:14 pm

I am melting mine by boiling water then took it off the stove and emerged in the hot water. It is working quite well!

tinktin 02/18/2015 at 3:21 pm

Works like a charm. Just heat up the honey (very slowly on low) and you’ll get it back to being gelatinous and delightful.