Quick Tip – How to thread yarn through a needle

by: Chica

Quick Tip – How to thread yarn through a needle

When Jo and I were working on the design for the felt teddy bear kits that we recently donated to a local American Diabetes Association event, we were faced with the task of threading yarn through a needle. Getting regular sewing thread through the tiny eye of a needle can be hard enough, but when you’re dealing with big, fat yarn, it’s an extra challenge. Fortunately, I had a trick up my sleeve that really helped.

Of course you’ll want to start with a large eyed needle, so that the yarn will actually fit. Then cut a tiny slip of paper that’s about an inch long and no wider than the eye of the needle. Fold it in half and place it around the end of the yarn.

threading yarnthreading yarn

Push the folded end of the paper through the eye of the needle. This paper edge will be straight and firm, and so much easier to push through that hole than the ragged end of the yarn is. Pull the paper through and remove it, and now you’ve got your threaded needle!

threading yarnthreading yarn

Quick Tip – How to thread yarn through a needle

Kelly 06/11/2009 at 8:47 pm

This is such a great idea and alot better than what I was doing. I was using tape and each time I had to thread a new piece of yarn I had to retape it. This idea is reuseable

Karyna 07/26/2009 at 10:36 pm

Do you always have trouble buying a bird feeder? well not anymore you can make a bird feeder out of just a spoon,bird food,and a water bottle! Okay heres what you do you make two litte slits in the bottle then you shove the bottem part of the spoon through the two slits then turn the spoon upright next tape the exposed parts of the slits then just fill the bottle up withbird food and your good to go just dont fill it up all the way!

Missy 12/30/2011 at 1:47 pm

I have been suffering through this quilt for hours upon hours basting it together and finally decided to google for help….THANK YOU SO VERY VERY VERY much for the yarn through the needle tip! It will virtually save me hours of wasted time! Thanks again for sharing and posting this.

Chica 12/30/2011 at 2:02 pm

So glad we could help, Missy!

Sarah 02/12/2013 at 5:35 am

gosh you save my life! thank you!

Beryl 10/19/2013 at 5:48 am

Having just wasted 20 minutes trying to thread a “self threading needle” and failed I got to wondering what other people thought about these so called labour saving devices. I used good quality thread.

Serita 02/14/2015 at 12:10 am

Thank you so much for the tip. Have been struggling putting together a few afghans I’ve crocheted already. The hardest part about it was figuring how to thread yarn through a needle.

Sally Ferguson 07/08/2016 at 6:05 pm

Thank you! What a lifesaver of a tip!

...we're sorry, but comments are closed for this post...