APR
2009

Make your own CD/DVD holders

by: Jo

Make your own CD/DVD holders

I burn a lot of CDs, either for my own use or to give to friends and family. I have found myself sticking them in plastic bags or an envelope, and even, on occasion, an actual CD holder. It occurred to me, though, that I am perfectly capable of coming up with a more stylish way of holstering my CDs and DVDs when needed, so I did! I am going to use this new design to make holders for the upcoming birth announcement of my second daughter in July. What a fun way to send a CD full of pictures and short videos to all of my family.

The first thing you need to do to make these holders is to download our free CD/DVD holder template and print it onto paper or card stock. Then cut it out.

Next, place the template on a piece of heavy paper or decorative card stock that you want to use for your holder, and trace around it. Then use a pencil and ruler to draw in the fold lines by connecting the points (red lines on the template).

cd dvd holdercd dvd holder

Cut around the outer edges (black lines on template) on your paper. To help with cutting out the semi-circle, you might want to use a round paper punch.

Use a ruler and a bone folder (or another straight edge like a credit card) to fold along the lines indicated on the template (red lines).

cd dvd holdercd dvd holder

Apply double-sided tape or a line of glue where indicated on the template (green lines). Hold your taped edges down first and align the large cover piece over top to attach it to the tape.

Finally, you can decorate the holder and label it to create your finished product.

I quickly made up three of these and can’t wait to make even more!

cd dvd holder

cd dvd holder

cd dvd holder

Make your own CD/DVD holders

Rachel 04/23/2009 at 2:35 pm

Oh very cool! Thanks for sharing, I’ll be linking.

Fiona 07/16/2009 at 9:15 am

Such a great idea – they look lovely. I am always giving people CDs so I’ll definitely do this.

Chica 07/16/2009 at 9:24 am

Thanks, Fiona. We’d love to see some of the CD holders you create. Feel free to post photos to our Flickr pool!

Kim 07/29/2009 at 8:50 am

Great idea! I never seem to have any CD cases or envelopes when I make CDs to give away. This allows me to personalize each envelope, and when I run out, I can always make more. Thanks for sharing.

Chica 07/29/2009 at 7:58 pm

Thanks for commenting, Kim. It’s definitely nice to be able to make a CD holder at the last minute if you need one!

Jacqui 08/27/2009 at 5:39 pm

Wow! I love these!!! I couldn’t think of a party favor for my mom’s 50th Birthday party, but after seeing this, I decided to make a cd of her favorite music and using this to make the covers.

Jo 08/27/2009 at 10:21 pm

What a great idea to use them as party favors. I am now thinking I might make a CD of my favorite Christmas songs to hand out to my guests at the annual Christmas party.

HERE BE DRAGONS 12/06/2009 at 2:49 pm

A lovely idea. What I’m doing right now is mailing them out, so I’m looking for something rectangular to avoid the non-machinable square envelope surcharge. I did buy a pack of cardstock, so we’ll see what I can come up with.

Jo 12/06/2009 at 5:25 pm

Please let us know if you come up with a solution. We’ve been trying to come up with one ourselves.

chopchop 02/21/2010 at 7:44 am

Thank you very much !

Rosa 04/28/2011 at 4:06 pm

BUENISIMAS IDEAS, MUY PRACTIAS Y ECONOMICAS, ME ENCANTA APRENDER CON USTEDES
    GRACIAS

Elizabeth Devine 09/17/2013 at 12:30 am

¡Muchísimas gracias! You guys rock!

Annabelle 01/27/2014 at 5:34 pm

Lovely idea but mine was too small! I printed the template out straight onto card and could barely get the CD in! Can you make a slightly bigger one?

Chica 01/28/2014 at 8:18 am

Annabelle, the PDF template was designed to be printed at actual size. Your printer settings might have been set to “scale to fit”, which would have adjusted the size. Try looking at your settings and see if that’s the problem.