Create a custom lamp shade with your Cricut Posted by Jo
February 3, 2009
Jo

I’ve seen some really cute lampshades that looked fairly plain when turned off but when you turn them on, you see a neat design. I thought this would be a perfect solution for my boring white lampshade on the kitchen work desk. Now, I just had to figure out what design to do and how to do it.

The idea came to me when I was using my Cricut to make some scrapbook layouts the other day. By selecting an image and cutting it out of black paper, I could place the cut-outs on the inside of the shade so that the shadow would show up when you flipped on the lamp. I was so excited to try my technique!

First, I picked out my design. I chose the cityscape from the Going Places Cricut cartridge. Next, I measured the height of my lampshade so I could decide how tall to make my design. I went for a 3 inch cutout for my 5 inch lampshade.

I cut out the design multiple times and started to apply it to the inside of the shade. I quickly realized that I would have to cut the design into smaller pieces to account for the curve of the shade. I cut straight lines between the building sections and overlapped them slightly to make them lie flat against the shade. I used basic spray glue to to attach each building to the lamp.

Cricut lampshadeCricut lampshade

I continued cutting out the cityscapes and gluing to the inside of the shade until I made it all the way around. At this point, you could still see a few white gaps along the bottom between the buildings. I fixed this by applying a decorative black ribbon around the outside of the shade that has a white stitch down the middle to make it look like a street.

Cricut lampshadeCricut lampshade

Now, the lampshade is still fairly unobtrusive when the light is off but when you turn it on…wow! I love the look of the light coming through the tiny windows. I couldn’t be happier and I am already thinking of other designs I could do.

1. dot said: (February 3rd, 2009 at 9:14 am)

very cool!

2. Andrea P. said: (February 3rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm)

Awesome! I loves it!!!

3. Rachel said: (February 3rd, 2009 at 4:28 pm)

Oh I love that! Super creative! I’ll be linking.

4. Marilyn Weadok said: (February 3rd, 2009 at 7:00 pm)

What an nice inspiration.
    I love your idea.
    thanks for sharing.
    marilyn

5. Jo said: (February 4th, 2009 at 12:19 pm)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I have to admit, this is one of my favorite projects I have done recently.

6. Nancy said: (February 6th, 2009 at 2:56 pm)

What a great idea. Have some lamps I’m trying to bring new life too. I will definitely have to try this. Just one question; how do you adhere the paper to the lampshade?

7. Jo said: (February 6th, 2009 at 3:06 pm)

Nancy, thanks. I used spray adhesive. Please send us some photos of your finished projects. We love to see our readers’ ideas.

8. Heather K. said: (February 10th, 2009 at 10:30 am)

WOW! I *love* this idea! I have the Going Places cartridge and have been trying to think of something neat to do with that skyline cut. I am so going to do this!

9. Chica said: (February 10th, 2009 at 11:55 am)

Have fun, Heather! We’d love to see your finished lampshade when you’re done.

10. Laurie F. said: (February 22nd, 2009 at 9:23 pm)

How so very cool!!!!!Love love love this. Gotta find some lamps to do this.TFS

11. Rain said: (May 14th, 2009 at 5:49 pm)

WOW! That’s wicked cool.

I just realised I have no lampshades in my house. Dang!

12. Laura said: (June 24th, 2009 at 3:26 pm)

Just wondering – do you use regular card stock and is it safe or is there a risk of fire?

13. Chica said: (June 24th, 2009 at 3:36 pm)

Hi Laura. Jo did use regular card stock for her lamp. Since most lampshades are lined in a paper-like material anyway, we don’t feel there’s any more risk with the card stock than there is with a regular lampshade — as long as you don’t use a super-high wattage light bulb. Never exceed the maximum wattage listed on the lamp, and never let the bulb come in contact with the shade or paper.

14. Carol said: (September 10th, 2009 at 9:33 pm)

I saw, on tv, today a very unique blackboard that is called a chalkboard decal. It is found on wallcandyarts.com. The one I particulary like is called Rocco. I’m sure those creative people here (ahem) Chica and Jo, can find a way to make these. I plan to try to make some of the other types on the website for the grandkids, cut a board into a shape and paint it with chalkboard paint. How easy is that?

15. Jo said: (September 10th, 2009 at 10:10 pm)

Carol, I especially love the animal shaped ones they have on the site. How cute! I like your idea of just painting some thin cut-out shapes. You could use luan or it might even work to use foam core, they would be really light for hanging. I wouldn’t mind trying to use a normal stencil and painting the chalkboard paint directly onto the wall. The downside there is that it is a lot harder to get rid of! If you do this project, please take a picture and send it to us!

16. Wooden Letters said: (October 13th, 2009 at 7:14 pm)

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

17. Janine said: (November 13th, 2009 at 8:53 pm)

Wow…that lampshade is amazing! I just recently found your website—I think it’s going to become my new online home. Great stuff!!

18. Jo said: (November 14th, 2009 at 12:25 am)

Thanks, Janine! So glad you found us. Make sure you add us to your reader so you don’t miss a thing. Please feel free to send us any questions about our projects. We love to hear from our readers.

19. Andrea said: (November 25th, 2009 at 10:27 pm)

Wow i loooveee this idea
    i want to do this for my art project, but i want a different sort of trim. i like the skyline idea, but the little windows will be hard to do. mabey a checkerd trimming the bottom and mabey top.

20. Jo said: (November 25th, 2009 at 10:38 pm)

The windows would be really hard if you didn’t have a Cricut machine. Love the idea of the checkered pattern.

21. Sasha Frugone said: (January 11th, 2010 at 5:21 pm)

Use the winterwoodland cartridge and make the reindeer starting at 2 in going up to 6 (1-2″, 1-3″, 1-4″, 1-5″, 1-6″)

Cut some snowflakes – decoupage on inside of lamp shade – you will have reindeer flying through snowflakes

22. Jo said: (January 11th, 2010 at 5:44 pm)

Sasha, what a cute idea! I will do that next year and change out my lamp shade for the Christmas season. A simple decorating idea.

23. Molly said: (July 1st, 2010 at 8:10 am)

so modern and such a money saver. i’m gonna make one right now!!!!1!!!one!!!1

24. Amy said: (July 2nd, 2010 at 6:45 am)

i agree with molly, in a credit crunch this is what i need to snaz up my home!

25. Nora said: (August 30th, 2010 at 2:56 pm)

Thats unbelievable. I just saw this lamp a couple days ago and I was lookin around in the internet A LOT to find how they did it. Im so happy and Ill start it soon. oh btw, the one in the photo is soo expensive too, its 170€, what is like 200$. i found a cheaper way .. yay yay

26. istikbal said: (October 19th, 2010 at 3:16 pm)

Very good lampshade model

27. Michelle said: (October 29th, 2010 at 4:52 am)

It would be cute for a sports themed room using the Sports Mania (I think that’s right) cartridge…especially if you have a child involved in sports or a hubby with his own “man cave.”

28. Sam said: (July 5th, 2012 at 2:07 pm)

so pretty! if yo sold these, you would make a fortune

29. Lorri said: (August 23rd, 2012 at 3:24 pm)

I’m not crafty and i don’t have any of these fancy tools, but I’d buy it! My kiddo loves the city theme now, and I just bought a skyline lamp shade at World Market, but I like yours much better!!

30. Anita said: (September 14th, 2012 at 10:56 pm)

I looked through Cricut Cartridges and found the “Going Places” cartridge, but I didn’t see any building shapes on it. Could you have mistaken the name of the cartridge?

31. Jo said: (September 17th, 2012 at 4:02 pm)

Anita, it’s the right cartridge. On the back of the box, the skyline is in pink.

32. Fran Hallock said: (March 15th, 2013 at 11:09 pm)

Wow…I just found this. I love your idea. I plan to do this with the new Southwest cartridge. What do you think about using vinyl. I want to do it like you did–putting the design on the inside. I use the new cooler light bulbs.
    Can’t wait to get started. Thanks

33. Chica said: (March 16th, 2013 at 9:44 am)

Fran, as long as the vinyl doesn’t melt from the heat of the bulbs and you can get it to stick to the shade, seems like it would work fine.

34. Hannah said: (April 22nd, 2014 at 4:19 am)

I was trying to search for ideas in the internet on how to design my lampshade. (It’s actually a fluorescent lamp, not a bulb… so anyway I made a rectangular lampshade) I might as well try this…… Thank you guys for the good idea :) GOD Bless you guys and may you continue to inspire others with your artworks!