- 9 sheets of patterned paper
- 3 Styrofoam boards
- glue or spray adhesive designed for Styrofoam
- acrylic paint (optional)
One of our readers, Rose, sent us this great idea for making inexpensive art work to cover a large area. This is an especially great option for apartment renters because it leaves minimal holes in the wall. This project can easily be adapted for any decor as well as for any size wall that needs some attention. I can see using a some textured paper to add some depth to the walls although we really love Rose’s monochromatic and bold patterns!
- Cut the Styrofoam boards into 3 equivalent squares (you now have 9 squares of styrofoam).
- Depending on the thickness of your Styrofoam, you may wish to brush some acrylic paint on the sides of each square to cover the white. Use any color that matches (or even contrasts with) the wall or the paper you’re going to use.
- Lay out the Styrofoam in a grid and choose the paper that you want for each square.
- Apply Styrofoam glue to one of the pieces of foam. You can also use spray adhesive for Styrofoam
- Lay the paper on top of the glue.
- Continue the process with each square.
- After the glue has dried, push small nails into each corner of each square (4 nails per square)
- Lay out your grid on the wall using a level and pencil. (I drew a line on the right edge and then drew a line where the bottom of each row would align.)
- Place your first square in the bottom right corner aligning it with the line drawn on the right and the bottom. Use a hammer to lightly tap the nails that were placed in each corner of the Styrofoam. Once your first square is placed on the wall, the others aren’t difficult to align.
- Use a tape measure or ruler to measure 1 inch on the left side and top of the first square and continue aligning the other squares.
Chica and Jo think this would be an especially good idea for those college kids going back to school right about now, who want to decorate their dorms. Assuming their dorm rules allow for tiny nail holes in the wall, this is a fun way to decorate!