Quick Tip – Get rid of dangling threads from hot glue Posted by Chica
August 1, 2008

Remember the last project you completed that relied heavily on a hot glue gun? I’ll bet by the time you were done, it had lots of those dangling “spider web” threads of hot glue all over it. As careful as you try to be, those things just seem to be impossible to avoid. You end up picking them off one by one and frustrating yourself. Next time that happens, reach for your hair dryer instead! Just blow hot air from a hair dryer over your project and watch those little dangling glue threads instantly shrink up into nothing. In just a few seconds, your project will be glue-free and you’ll be delighted at the results!

1. Jenny said: (August 1st, 2008 at 7:57 am)

Wow – I would never have thought of that! Those little threads are really annoying, so I will be sure to try this next time. Now if you can just tell me a way to keep from getting it all over my fingers too…. :)

2. Trina said: (August 4th, 2008 at 4:07 am)

thanks! I am decorating a “Kitty Castle” for my cat and hot gluing little tiny silver stars all around the top…and was thinking I will have to pick away all the spider webs. :)

3. Jo said: (August 4th, 2008 at 12:18 pm)

I have a kitty too! I would love to see a picture of your finished Kitty Castle!

4. Susan said: (November 6th, 2011 at 8:31 pm)

As far as glue from a glue gun getting on your fingers–I found that putting a larger than normal amount of hand lotion on my hands helps to keep the excess glue from sticking to my fingers. Some still will stick but this really helps.

5. Chica said: (November 7th, 2011 at 7:06 am)

Nice tip, Susan. I’ll definitely try that next time!

6. Mary said: (March 31st, 2012 at 12:00 am)

I will definetly be using this one. My daughter made a very blingy bird house last month. So cute aside from the strings attached. She’ll be so excited.