Wedding DJ worksheet and checklist Posted by Chica
July 30, 2008

As I’ve mentioned before, I went into super-organized mode while planning my wedding years ago, and as a result made several worksheets and checklists to help me get through the planning with a smile on my face. I’ve already told you about my wedding photographer worksheet and today I’d like to share another one with you. This time, I’m focusing on the wedding DJ.

When I think back to the wedding receptions I’ve attended, and I think about the dancing and the DJs, a few thoughts come to mind. I remember the obnoxious DJ who singled out (and embarrassed) the guests who weren’t dancing. I remember the fun DJ who had hats ready for guests to wear when “YMCA” was playing. I remember the fun dance songs and the weird ones, and I knew I wanted to make sure that MY wedding reception was exactly the way I wanted it… and most of all, I wanted to make sure that he would NOT be playing “The Chicken Dance”!

So I came up with a worksheet / checklist to give my DJ. Jo and I have brainstormed on a few new things to add to it, and we think it’s a pretty useful tool:

Click here to download our free Wedding DJ Worksheet

As you go through this worksheet and customize it, here are a few major points to remember:

• The most important thing you can convey to your DJ is the tone you want for your reception. Do you want him to be quiet or loud? Subtle or obnoxious? By checking which of the DJ behaviors you like or dislike in the worksheet, your DJ will get a feel for the tone you’re after.
  • Don’t nitpick. Assuming you picked an experienced and reputable service, your DJ has been through this many times and knows what he or she is doing. You don’t have to list every single song you want played. Just give some firm, general guidelines to follow and let him fill in the rest.
  • Be sure to list the songs you really love or really hate. For instance, I wanted to make sure my Mom’s favorite song got played during the reception (“Old Time Rock and Roll” by Bob Seger) but I also wanted to make sure “The Chicken Dance” didn’t get played. Put them on the list and your DJ will know.
  • Make it clear exactly how you want the DJ to announce you to your guests when you enter the reception. There’s nothing worse than having your first introduction as husband and wife be worded in a way you don’t like (“Mr. and Mrs. John Doe” versus “John and Jane Doe”, etc).
Apple iTunes

1. aaron sloan said: (September 19th, 2009 at 12:56 pm)

I want to thank you so much for the DJ (MC) checklist!! We are helping our friends with a ‘budget’ wedding and I am the MC wanting to do a good job beyond ‘just the music’. Now I have a guideline to help make their day special and so easy to do it.

You rock!!
    Aaron & Heather
    Camarillo, CA

2. Chica said: (September 19th, 2009 at 8:39 pm)

Thanks so much, Aaron. We’re glad we were able to help you do the music (and more) for your friends. I’m sure your personal touch will make an event they’ll never forget :)

3. David Dibbern said: (October 6th, 2009 at 10:28 am)

Another good to ask is if the bride and groom want a special song played for their grand entrance in to the reception as you announce them

4. Chica said: (October 6th, 2009 at 10:45 am)

Great suggestion, David. I’ve updated the worksheet to include the bride and groom’s grand entrance song. Thanks!

5. Tony said: (February 8th, 2010 at 2:59 pm)

Great idea, especially if you have favorite songs as well as those you just can’t stand.

6. David said: (February 22nd, 2010 at 11:30 am)

Just a quick suggestion. (DJ for over 20 years).

About the song list – keep in mind that just because bride and groom may dislike a certain song, genre or artist – keep in mind it’s the guests that fill the dance floor. Couples have given me everything from “play the entire album “Chinese Democracy by Guns & Roses” to literally picking out every song I am to play – no deviations. And inevitably those receptions are horrible because the guests aren’t having fun and the couple never dances by themselves!

So my advice is to be open to music at your reception that isn’t your favourite. I’m not talking every song – maybe even just 2 or 3 can allow some guests to get up and dance to music they enjoy too.

7. Chica said: (February 22nd, 2010 at 11:44 am)

Thanks so much for the professional input, David. Flexibility is key!

8. missthang said: (July 17th, 2010 at 3:39 pm)

Both the photographer, and dj checklist help alot, and thank you for those, but i am looking for a wedding song checklist like what parts do we need songs for and how many different songs.. like grandparents, parents, grooms entrance, groomsmen entrance, bridal party entrance, brides entrance, unity candle/sand, walking back down the aisle after married… is that to many or not enough.. help me please.. im geting married in three months and i love music so i have all kinds of ideas, but don’t want to have a two hour wedding with just music either.. lol…

9. Chica said: (July 18th, 2010 at 6:26 pm)

Hi missthang. I think the songs you need for your wedding will depend a lot on how you plan your ceremony. For example, you’ll definitely need a song for when the wedding party enters, and one for when the bride enters. But you may or may not need one for the lighting of a unity candle, depending on if you have one or not. I suggest you work with the organizer at the church (or other location) where you are having your wedding and/or the person who will be playing your music. I know when I met with the church organist before our wedding, she was able to tell me exactly when I needed songs, and she helped me pick them out, too. Hope that helps!

10. DJ Baby "G" said: (October 3rd, 2010 at 7:37 pm)

Thanks so much for the info. I performed (DJ’d)at a wedding just yesterday and I only had a week to prepare. I sure wish I had been able to get this worksheet to the Bride. It went pretty well but, it would have gone much smoother if they had a list that wasn’t hand written and submitted to me when I arrived. I got it ready for they next group…Thanks alot for sharing… Baby “G”

11. Chica said: (October 4th, 2010 at 8:11 am)

So glad we could help, G. Here’s to a smoother experience next time!

12. Talley Hsu said: (June 27th, 2011 at 12:03 am)

You are incredible – what a life and time-saver. I can’t thank you enough… Your DJ and Photog checklists are saving me a lot of prep headache. Thanks a bunch!

Talley & Andy
    July 9, 2011

13. Chica said: (June 27th, 2011 at 7:15 am)

So glad to hear that, Talley. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

14. J.Scott said: (June 29th, 2011 at 6:35 pm)

Hi Chica and Jo.

I ran across your web page and it was just what we needed! Thanks for the wedding DJ checklist download! You don’t even know how much of a help this was!

15. Sentill said: (March 4th, 2012 at 3:18 pm)

Big thanks guys. this is awesome

16. Sarah said: (June 20th, 2012 at 8:28 pm)

Thank you so much for this tool! It is so helpful :)

17. DJ V said: (February 19th, 2013 at 1:34 pm)

I was looking for a format for when I do interviews with clients..something this big,you need to hit on all the bases and doing it from memory,questions always get missed and you have to make numerous phone calls….THANKS

18. Ericuk said: (May 29th, 2014 at 6:46 am)

Thank you for the form. I am DJ’ing for a friend soon and this guide will help me prepare and organise the formalities of the day in a professional manner.

19. Tonya said: (June 30th, 2014 at 9:19 am)

Thank you, so much!!!!

This is the perfect format for discussing needs with prospective dj’s!!