At one time or another, we’ve all ended up with a block of hard brown sugar that we can’t use. Here’s my favorite way of softening it up again:
- Put your brown sugar in an airtight container.
- Fold a piece of aluminum foil until it’s small enough to fit inside the container
- Fold a paper towel or napkin until it’s slightly smaller than the foil
- Get the paper towel damp (but not dripping wet) and place it on top of the foil
- Put the whole thing on top of the sugar and seal the container (fold the corners if needed)
- In a day or two, your sugar will be as good as new!
I keep the foil and napkin in my container all the time. Whenever I use some sugar and find that it’s getting a little hard, I add some water to the napkin so that the sugar will be ready to go the next time I need it.