Mickey Mouse Clubhouse birthday party Posted by Jo
April 29, 2008
Jo

Little Jo, like most toddlers, loves Playhouse Disney and in particular, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. So it came as no surprise to me when I asked her what type of birthday party she wanted she answered, “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!” immediately. With party theme in hand, I set about gathering my supplies for a fun and memorable Mickey Mouse Clubhouse birthday.

Invitations
When I have a lot of invitations to do, I usually order them from Shutterfly.com. This time, I took a picture of my daughter dressed up like Minnie Mouse and holding all of her Mickey Mouse Clubhouse stuffed friends. I uploaded the image and found a cute background and added all of the party information. This is such an easy and economical solution for personalized invitations no matter what the occasion.

Shutterfly Minnie Mouse Invite

For the other invitations, I used the Disney Friends Cricut cartridge and my Cricut machine to make the front of the card. I chose the standing Mickey Mouse and then did a 3 in coordinating colors. I enjoy making handmade invitations when I don’t have 30 or more to do! I only had to do eight of these for this particular party. For the inside of the invitation, I used a Mickey Mouse font that I found on Famous Fonts to type the information at the top. For the picture at the top, I printed out the image from the Playhouse Disney site and then had my daughter color it. I scanned her colored version into the computer and printed it out for each invitation. You can also just have your child color the invitations once you print them out. If you like the style and layout, here is the template for your use: Mickey Mouse Invitation Template

Mickey Mouse InviteMickey Mouse Invite

Games

Oh Toodles! Draw different sized Toodles onto foam core or poster board. You can even print one out and paste it to some cardboard if you don’t want to draw. Hang the images all around the party area. Kids must then find Toodles and when they see him, they yell, “Oh, Toodles!” throughout the party and everyone can be a winner.

Duck, duck, Donald: The classic game of duck, duck, goose with a little name twist. To add a bit of extra fun, we had the child drop a stuffed Donald into the lap of the kid chosen as the “goose”.

I also ordered an inflatable kid roller and an inflatable bowling set from Oriental Trading Company. We let a kid get into the inflatable and had another kid roll him down the bowling lane to knock over the pins. The kids had more fun “falling” out of the roller and then hitting each other with the pins but hey, that’s okay!

Party food:

1. Hot dogs for the hot dog song of course!
  2. Mickey Mouse shaped sandwiches or Rice Krispie treats. Make the sandwiches or treats and then use a metal cookie cutter to cut out the shape.
  3. Mickey-shaped chocolate lollipops that I made with a mold.

Decorations

Foam core stand-ups: I did this decorating trick before for Little Jo’s Candyland themed birthday party. I used the following PDFs that I found on PlayhouseDisney.com for for projecting onto the foam core: Mickey Mouse pdf, Minnie Mouse pdf, Donald Duck pdf, Daisy Duck pdf, Goofy pdf, Pluto pdf, Pete pdf In the picture on the left, you can see just the pencil outline on the far left, a partially completed outline in the middle and the completed Donald Duck outline on the right. I used a Sharpie to trace over the lines I had drawn on with the pencil when I projected the image. When you outline the image in black, you can fix any small mistakes you might have made originally. My daughter is still too young to help color in the images nicely but I had a lot of fun doing it. Older kids in the house would also enjoy the coloring part of this project.

Goofy stand upGoofy stand up

The work was well worth it because the kids loved taking pictures next to the cut-outs as they arrived at the party.

Goofy stand up

If you do not have a projector or want to take the time to make standups, I found these really cute Mickey Mouse StandUp or Donald Duck StandUp.

Personalized Banners and Wall Decals
Kids always love seeing their names on party decorations. That’s why a personalized banner is always a big hit! It comes in a Minnie only version and one especially for a first birthday as well.

Mickey Mouse banner

These removable wall decals weren’t available when I did my daughter’s party but I would definitely get them if I did another Mickey Mouse Clubhouse party.

Mickey Mouse Wall decals

I used my daughter’s picnic table for the kids to have their dinner and cake. I decorated it with some Mickey and Minnie head balloons as the centerpiece, a Mickey Mouse patterned fabric for the table cloth, Mickey Mouse melamine plates for each child that they got to take home later, lots of candy, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse napkins and the chocolate lollipops shaped like Mickey’s head. I ordered most of my party supplies from Oriental Trading Company and then found a lot of fun toys and Mickey themed prizes on eBay for the party favor bags.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse table decorations

I finished off my decoration by going to Birthday in a Box, they had a lot of unique Mickey Mouse Clubhouse items that I hadn’t seen on any of the other sites. I especially liked the centerpieces they had.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Centerpiece

The final touch to the party was the music and the “show”. I downloaded episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse from iTunes and also downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes. I had the soundtrack playing as the guests arrived and we let the kids watch episodes of the show while they ate their dinner. This gave the adults a little break to enjoy our own dinner! Overall, my daughter and her friends had a great time at her party. The spirit of the event is still lingering on in the form of those mylar balloons. Those things never seem to deflate!

1. rebecca said: (January 1st, 2009 at 12:46 pm)

I need help. I’m trying to make a mickey photo invitation. I have adobe photoshop I don’t know where to find all these backgrounds that people have found. I’m looking for one with the mickey mouse clubhouse. like the ones on e-bay. Can anyone please help me. cuteums1@fuse.net

2. Danielle said: (January 8th, 2009 at 2:35 pm)

I would like to do the cut outs like you but how did you project the picture onto the foam?? did you actually cut out or did you just leave them like in the picture with the child??

3. Jo said: (January 8th, 2009 at 3:27 pm)

Danielle, I used a projector connected to my laptop to trace the images onto the foam. Local libraries sometimes have projectors you can borrow or you can check with your local copy store. I just left them on the board like you see Goofy with the little boy. You could cut them out but I was afraid the edges would be a little jagged since the foam core is so thick. Hope your party is a success!

4. Diana said: (February 9th, 2009 at 2:17 pm)

I would like to make my daughter’s birthday cake in the shape of “Toodles”. Any ideas where I could get a mold? Or do you have any suggestions on how to make one myself? I have a round cake pan for the head. But I am not sure what to use for the ears.

5. Chica said: (February 9th, 2009 at 4:03 pm)

Hi Diana! I haven’t seen any molds in that shape, but I think using a large round pan for the head is a great start. I would then use a smaller round pan to make two small round cakes for the ears. If you can’t find a round pan in the right size, you could just make a small sheet cake and then cut two circles out of it (use the rim of a bowl as a pattern). Once you have the small round cakes baked, you’ll want to cut off a bit on one side so that they will fit flat against the head.

We would love to see your finished cake after you’re done. I’ll bet it will be adorable!

6. Jenny said: (February 19th, 2009 at 11:20 am)

You can cut out the foam with a boxcutter. I do it all the time. You can also find the foam pieces at the dollar tree if you have that store near you. The foam can cost you 3 dollars in a arts and craft stores.

7. Jo said: (February 19th, 2009 at 12:07 pm)

Jenny, I will try that next time. My daughter wants a Disney Princess birthday this year so I might make stand-ups for that as well.

8. cassandra said: (March 20th, 2009 at 9:46 am)

My son will be 1 in June & he absolutely loves Mickey! I have alot of the supplies and all already. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what I should do for the kids the ages range from 10months to 13 years old. My sons father has a huge family so theres going to be about 30 kids. Any ideas? I know I am going to hire a Mickey to come and I am going to order a Mickey Photo Backdrop from disney.com so the kids can take a picture but I dont really know what to do . I’m new at all of this. Any help would be great! =)

9. Jo said: (March 20th, 2009 at 12:01 pm)

Cassandra, it is difficult to try to entertain such a wide age range. If the party is going to be outside, I would suggest having water games/toys for the kids. Kids of all ages love water guns and water tables. The older kids can have a water balloon toss game where you pair up and toss a balloon back and forth increasing the distance until only one group remains. Kids also love to play with bubbles and you can make your own wands with pipe cleaners. Bend them into the shape of Mickey’s head the best you can to fit the theme. Try the game of hiding Toodles I mentioned above. This can be done inside or outside. Place some of them higher up and in difficult spaces for the older kids to find. Another fun inside activity is letting the kids decorate their own Mickey shaped cookies. Purchase a Mickey Mouse metal cookie cutter and make the plain sugar cookies ahead of time. Put out icing and all kinds of other candy decorations and let the kids decorate them as they wish. I hope these ideas get you started. I will email you if I come up with anything else!

10. karla said: (November 17th, 2009 at 3:23 pm)

that’s was a great birthday party… i have a one year daughter and a two year old im having their birthday party together and i was baptisme them as well theme minnie and mikey any ideas

11. wendy said: (December 5th, 2009 at 11:43 pm)

where did the mickey mouse head shaped lollipops come from?

12. Jo said: (December 6th, 2009 at 5:41 pm)

Wendy, I made them using a Mickey Mouse candy mold.

13. Aly said: (January 5th, 2010 at 9:19 pm)

Jo, have you worked with chocolate a lot in the past? How difficult was it to get the chocolate tempered correctly? Any tricks? My resources are just a standard kitchen… Thanks! Looks like a great idea!

14. Jo said: (January 5th, 2010 at 9:47 pm)

Aly, I used the Wilton candy melts to do these and didn’t have any problems at all. They are specially formulated for making the molded candy. Just melt them in your double boiler or in the microwave and pour!