Protect your cake at an outdoor wedding reception

by: Chica

outdoor wedding cake canopy coverMy husband and I both love the outdoors, so for our summer wedding, we had our reception outside at a vineyard. The biggest concern I had about the outdoor reception was protecting the wedding cake from leaves and bugs (not to mention prying fingers from curious children!). I wanted the cake to be featured in the beautiful gardens, but I couldn’t just leave it under the trees without some sort of protective cover. But how do you cover a cake? Then I came up with the perfect solution.

I got an inexpensive round hoop bed canopy (available in many colors) and I sewed a few dozen tiny little white bows to it randomly. As a finishing touch, I put a large tulle bow at the top with some silk flowers.

I then got a very tall shepherd’s hook that I could hang the canopy from. With the cake on a small table in the garden, we put the shepherd’s hook right next to the table, so that the hook was centered over the cake. We hung the canopy and carefully draped it around the cake.

The effect was quite beautiful and everyone commented on how pretty the cake was. When it was time to serve the cake, we simply moved the canopy to the side and enjoyed the completely bug-free and leaf-free cake!

outdoor wedding cake canopy cover

Pammya 04/24/2008 at 3:36 pm

That was a wonderful idea. It looked really pretty too!

Chica 04/27/2008 at 4:56 pm

Thanks, Pammya. It was the hit of the reception.

It occurs to me now that it would’ve looked adorable to sew on tiny butterflies instead of bows, too, especially for a butterfly-themed wedding. Wouldn’t that be cute!

Shiloh 09/13/2009 at 9:49 am

Thank you so much for your idea! When I looked up wedding cake covers, this is the only image that came up. I’m really excited about using this idea at my wedding next week. I’m glad I checked because I had completly forgotten about the shepards hook. Problem solved, thanks again!

Chica 09/13/2009 at 4:44 pm

So glad we could help, Shiloh. We’d love to see how your cake comes out, so feel free to add a photo after the big day to our Flickr group!

Carmella 09/29/2010 at 7:59 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderful idea. I used it for my niece’s outdoor birthday party at a local zoo. The guest were quite impressed!

Jo 09/29/2010 at 9:07 pm

Carmella, great thinking to use it for any cake. It is also useful for a small table of appetizers or drinks at an outdoor event.

Dee-Dee 05/23/2012 at 9:20 pm

Thank you, I’m having an outdoor wedding in July was wondering how we were going to protect our cake it is a great ideal.

tessa 07/28/2015 at 6:19 pm

Thank you for this tip! I am planning a wedding with an outside reception. I will definitely use this idea.

Vachelle 08/24/2015 at 11:10 pm

I absolutely love this idea and definitely plan to use this idea for my wedding next June. I am concerned about the cake frosting melting, even in the shade. Do you have any suggestions?

Chica 08/26/2015 at 7:57 pm

Vachelle, the lifespan of the frosting will depend a lot on what it’s made with. For example, a true buttercream made with butter won’t stand up to hot temperatures at all, but a decorator’s frosting with shortening will do better. Ask the bakers who make your cake to help you choose something that will work well for your location.

Pam 01/15/2016 at 11:25 am

Thank you so much for this idea! I have a bride who is having an outdoor wedding reception and this was our major concern since there is a huge oak tree right near the cake location. This was perfect and the links all correctly took me to Amazon where I was able to buy the whole thing. Thanks for making a decision for me on how to accomplish this for the bride!

Chica 01/15/2016 at 12:47 pm

Pam, we’re glad we could help. This idea saved the cake at my wedding!