Make your own wedding veil Posted by Chica
April 8, 2008

Toolbox

• tulle
  • needle and thread
  • French comb or barrette
  • ribbon for trim (optional)

As you plan your wedding, you’ll fast discover that most wedding-related things are quite expensive, and you can easily overspend almost without realizing it. One of the surprise costs as you shop for your wedding day attire is the veil, which can easily cost a couple hundred dollars for the simplest of designs. Before you casually add a veil on to your wedding gown purchase, consider making it yourself. With as little as $10 in supplies and an hour or two, you can create your own veil that suits you to a tee.

Gather the supplies

The main thing you’ll need, of course, is some tulle (a.k.a. netting). This is available in any fabric store and can be found in 72″ and 108″ widths. For a fuller veil, use the 108″ wide tulle. The length of fabric you’ll need will vary depending on your desired veil length. Measure from the top of your head to where you want the veil to end and double that length. For example, a typical fingertip-length veil will be between three and four feet long, so you’ll need 6 to 8 feet (2 to 2 1/2 yards) of tulle.

Cut the tulle

Lay the tulle out on a large table (or a clean floor) and keep it folded in half lengthwise (this is how it was at the store). Put the folded edge nearest to you. At this point you have two layers of tulle.

Now fold the tulle in half crosswise by grabbing the rightmost edge and folding it over so that it touches the leftmost edge. At this point you have four layers of tulle.

Veil

Measure again how long you want the tulle to be (from the top of your head down) and cut the tulle to that length (keep it folded) if needed.

Now round off the top left edge of the fabric by pinning to mark it and then cutting in a smooth motion. If you need a guide, try a large serving platter. You want to be left with a quarter-circle shape:

Veil

Arrange the layers

Unfold the tulle completely. At this point you have one layer of tulle. The dashed red lines below show where the folds used to be:

Veil

Fold the tulle crosswise from right to left, but you don’t have to bring it all the way over. You can match the ends up for a single-length veil, or you can leave a few inches between the edges for a nice layered look. If you keep a shorter layer, it can be used as a blusher if you like. At this point you should verify that the length is exactly what you want and if it’s too long, cut one of the rounded ends shorter, as needed.

Veil

Gather the tulle

You will now have to decide if you want the edges of your veil’s two layers to come all the way up to the top of the veil or not. If you choose to have the edges come up to the top, the top of your veil will be puffier. This decision is particularly noticeable if you plan to put a ribbon trim on the edges, because the ribbon will clearly be only at the bottom or will go up to your head, depending on your choice. This picture illustrates the two variations:

Veil

For the first look above, you will gather up only the center portion of your tulle, as seen in the first diagram below. For the second look above, you will gather the entire width of the tulle, as seen in the second diagram below:

Veil

Once you have decided how much tulle to gather, do so with a needle and strong thread, weaving in and out with small stitches. Pull the thread to gather the stitched tulle so that it is only about 2 inches wide. Knot the thread securely.

These photos show the gathering process on a short “center only” veil that I made for my niece to play dress-up with.

VeilVeil

Veil

Attach the comb or barrette

Now take your gathered portion of tulle and sew it securely to either a simple French comb or a barrette.

VeilVeil

You can still wear a fancy tiara or decorative barrette if you like; just place it right in front of your veil on your head. If you wish, you may also be able to sew the veil directly to the tiara, depending on its style.

Decorate the veil (optional)

Your veil is ready to wear at this point, but you may want to decorate it further. A popular finishing touch is to sew a thin satin ribbon along the edges of the veil. You can do so easily with a sewing machine and some white thread. When sewing, don’t bother to try to get the ribbon right up against the end of the tulle — it’s far easier to just leave some extra and then come back and trim it later.

VeilVeil

Now go back with scissors and trim the excess tulle right next to the ribbon. And don’t worry about trimming it perfectly. I promise that nobody more than 2 feet away from you will even be able to see it!

Veil

You may also choose to sew or glue tiny sparkling beads or gemstones randomly on your veil. If that’s what you like, then do it. It’s your veil, so it should be special and exactly the way you want it!

Congratulations! You’re done!

Here are two finished examples. My niece’s “play” veil is on the left and my actual wedding veil is on the right. This veil pattern can easily be adapted to any length and many different styles, from the simplest of play veils for little girls who want to play dress-up to beautiful full-length veils for the bride. Oh, and don’t forget those girls who are preparing for their First Communion. They will need their own veil for the ceremony!

Veil

1. teleny parrish said: (June 26th, 2009 at 7:33 pm)

Just remember, goslings, nine yards makes a wedding veil! (that is two layers before according to height, and two layers after, with what’s left!)

2. fen said: (July 8th, 2009 at 7:55 pm)

great i had found a perfect page b4 telling and showing similar to this how to make different types of veils now it gone. This page will do thanks

3. Anelia said: (July 8th, 2009 at 8:12 pm)

Hi, love your work! And today I got my order of padding compound, which I look forward to using. I really admire your work.

4. MARGARET BOYD said: (July 11th, 2009 at 5:14 pm)

Thank you so much, my daughter is getting married in October and asked if I would make her veil, this site is a godsend.

5. Chica said: (July 12th, 2009 at 8:38 am)

Thanks everyone! Margaret and fen, we’d love to see how your veils turn out :)

6. Fiona said: (July 14th, 2009 at 10:55 am)

Gosh, I’d be very careful when you cut the tulle. Measure 10 times cut once and all…

7. Kia said: (August 18th, 2009 at 11:33 pm)

Thank you for the detail instructions and pictures. I am getting married this fall and I just made my veil with tulle and satin ribbon. It came out great!!!!

8. Chica said: (August 19th, 2009 at 7:09 am)

Kia, that’s awesome! We’d love to see your veil if you want to send us a picture or post one to our Flickr group.

9. Mallory said: (August 25th, 2009 at 12:42 am)

I was so happy to find these detailed instructions with pictures on the web when beginning to create the veil for my wedding. Every other website I saw left me confused as to how to begin. My veil is beautiful… thank you for your help! I can’t wait to walk down the aisle wearing my own creation!

10. Chica said: (August 25th, 2009 at 7:12 am)

Hi Mallory! We’re so happy you liked our instructions and came up with such great results. We’d love to see your veil if you want to send us a picture or post it in our Flickr group!

11. mandy pope said: (October 5th, 2009 at 4:26 pm)

yrs is the first site that said right this is how y do it and heres the diograms thank god

12. Sylvia said: (October 12th, 2009 at 6:20 pm)

Daughter is getting marraied in 2 weeks in Maui so we are going to make her own veil this time and I just got done spending over an hour looking on line for how to make it the easiest way, with diagrams, and you were the last one I came across. No one else had diagrams..!!! THANK YOU,THANK YOU, for your detailed instructions, Exactly what I was looking for…

13. Chica said: (October 13th, 2009 at 7:23 am)

Thanks Mandy and Sylvia. I’m so glad my diagrams could help you both! We’d love to see the veils you end up with. (Oh, and a Maui wedding? Yum!)

14. ellie said: (October 19th, 2009 at 9:03 pm)

hey, thank you so much for this website! my best friend asked me to make her a veil for halloween as she’s going as a corpse bride! ill be following your instructions, only i plan to double the tulle, one black sheet and one red sheet! thank you once again for your help! :)

15. Chica said: (October 20th, 2009 at 7:03 am)

ellie, that sounds fantastic! You must show us a picture when it’s done!

16. Showey said: (October 20th, 2009 at 12:13 pm)

Elle – I attached my black veil to a plain headband which I then covered with ribbon. I left the ribbon long at each end to make a tie that goes either under the chin or behind the neck (under my hair). The head band distributes the weight nicely.

Of course, this and a black dress are a quick Halloween costume. It also let everyone know exactly who to follow during our historical society cemetery walk.

I added a layer of a stiffer netting under the softer tulle. The puffiness lets me hold a scavenger list, my notes, or even a treat bag. It’s quite spooky in black but would probably look sophisticated in white or even a light pink.

Since I am ‘in mourning’ a layer of the veil is always over my face. Now I wish I had not gathered it in the middle. It is hard to see through – perfect for a disguise – difficult when doing other activities. But who knew I would get so much use out of it?

17. Carmen Borowiak said: (February 11th, 2010 at 3:26 pm)

Thank you for the easy to follow directions all the other web site’s just did not show the detailed instructions as your’s did. Just finished a veil for my daughter who will be getting married in Oct, 2010. Thanks again Carmie

18. Chica said: (February 11th, 2010 at 3:29 pm)

Thanks, Carmie! We’d love to see a photo of the finished veil if you want to share it with us :)

19. Heather said: (March 17th, 2010 at 10:52 am)

What a wonderful site! I’ve been looking how to make a veil for my daughter’s wedding in May 2010. These are definately the instructions I’ll be following, they are so well explained and the best bit – the actual diagrams… I’m off to get started as I’ve the cake to ice too. Thanks very much.
    Heather

20. Chica said: (March 17th, 2010 at 10:58 am)

Thanks so much, Heather! We’d love to see how your daughter’s veil turns out, so come back and send us a photo if you can. Good luck with the cake!

21. Joyce said: (April 4th, 2010 at 5:06 pm)

Dear Chica, Could anyone tell me what the pattern cut for a shoulder length Angel Cut Veil would look like? thank you! Joyce

22. Chica said: (April 5th, 2010 at 7:48 am)

Hi Joyce. I had never heard of an angel-cut veil before, but I did some Googling and from what I can tell, it’s almost the same as the “gathered in the middle” veil we describe above, with one exception — the bottom of the angel-cut veil comes to a point instead of being rounded. So I think you could just adjust the shape of the tulle so that it comes more to a point and then use our instructions and get what you are looking for. Hope that helps!

23. Rita Rivers said: (April 6th, 2010 at 9:10 pm)

Wow! Where to start? How to fold the tulle! This very basic point was the missing link. Thank you for starting at the very beggining!

24. Chica said: (April 7th, 2010 at 7:46 am)

Rita, you’re welcome, and we’re glad you like our tutorial :)

25. Rena said: (April 8th, 2010 at 1:04 pm)

I’m getting married in July, my 3rd marriage, his 2nd (also I’m 54yrs young) so would it be inappropriate to have a small veil or headdressing? I wasn’t thinking of one till I saw how easy it is.

26. Chica said: (April 8th, 2010 at 1:10 pm)

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, Rena. I say that any bride deserves to have a veil if she wants one, so go for it!

27. Karen said: (April 9th, 2010 at 9:53 am)

I’m making my daughters veil. The veil she tried on at the bridal shop was a circular “center gathered” veil with a rolled hem edge embellished with beading at the hem. My question is this.. when you (as you did with the ribbon)fold the tulle over wouldn’t the ribbon be on the wrong side of one layer? With the small rolled hem front back doesn’t matter, but when I go to apply the small beads above the hem at what point would I switch to the other side so both layers have the beads on top? If the veil was gathered across the entire top you could switch over at the top fold, but when it’s only gathered in the center you can’t do that. Does this make sense? Hope you can help.. You’re posting has been the best and easiest instructions I’ve found to date.
    Thanks

28. Chica said: (April 9th, 2010 at 11:18 am)

Hi Karen. I know exactly what you mean. For the ribbon edging, it will technically be on the “wrong” side of the tulle for half of the veil. However, as long as you use a nice satin ribbon that is finished on both sides, I promise you that nobody will notice. The tulle is so thin that unless you are just a few inches away from the veil, you won’t even be able to tell that it’s on top of the ribbon on part of it.

As for placing the beads, I think the best way to ensure that you switch over to the other side at the right point is to actually put the veil on your daughter (or hold it in the air, or tape it to the top of a bookshelf) and let the tulle lay exactly like it wants to. Then start applying the beads wherever you think they are needed, on whichever side of the tulle is on top at that point. That way you’ll get a nice, even distribution and you know it will look pretty when it’s on her head!

We’re so happy you like our instructions and I hope my answers have been equally helpful. We would really love to see the veil when you’re finished, if you want to send us a photo.

29. Joyce said: (April 18th, 2010 at 1:23 am)

I followed your website, very easy to follow steps. However, my 2 layer veil looks very thin from the back, and I am not sure how to create a fuller look. Should I make a 4 layer veil, or should I make the width wider? (w: 1m length: 1.4m when it is opened like your first diagram) The shop sells the width as 1.8m, so I can’t have a 108″ wide veil. Will a 4 layer veil option be better?

30. Chica said: (April 18th, 2010 at 9:51 am)

Hi Joyce. If the tulle you are using is as wide as you can find and you’re not happy with the fullness, then I think doubling the tulle and making a 4-layer veil would be a good idea to try. Please let us know how it comes out!

31. elizabeth armstrong said: (April 29th, 2010 at 10:27 pm)

I thought I was an accomplished seamstress. I remember making two veils years ago. Now that it is time to help a dear friend’s daughter I could find nothing online that showed the cutting diagrams. Your simple drawing brought it all back and made sense. And this was the last time I was going to look online as I have been looking for two weeks or more. Thank you so very much I will be able to sleep tonight and make the veil tomorrow.
    Liz Armstrong

32. Chica said: (April 30th, 2010 at 7:38 am)

Liz, we are so happy that you kept searching long enough to find us! Let us know how the veil comes out :)

33. Beth said: (May 2nd, 2010 at 4:29 pm)

Oh this is wonderful! I’ve been thinking about making my own veil for my wedding in July ’10, but all the other directions I’ve found make it look impossible! This makes perfect sense! I will definitely be doing this!
    Thanks so much for your website! I am excited to save money and have a personalized veil!

34. Chica said: (May 2nd, 2010 at 4:42 pm)

Beth, we’re so glad we could help you out. Congrats on your wedding and we’d love to see the veil you make!

35. dee said: (May 7th, 2010 at 2:30 pm)

You didn’t go into detail about the beading. How do you fix it to tulle. fabric glue?

36. dee said: (May 7th, 2010 at 2:35 pm)

Also your instructions were for a double layer. Do I just fold once for a singel layer. My grand daughter specifically wants a single because she is short and doesn’t want to be overwhelmed.

37. Chica said: (May 7th, 2010 at 3:38 pm)

Hi dee! Depending on what kind of crystals or beading you want to add, you can either sew them on or use glue. I’m not sure what kind of glue would work best… might be a good idea to ask the folks at the fabric store for their opinion when you buy the beads.

As for the layers, our instructions have you use a long piece of tulle and gather it the middle, which makes two layers for the veil. If you only want one layer, you could use a shorter piece and gather it at the end, instead of the middle.

38. Barb said: (May 30th, 2010 at 10:57 am)

Chica,

Can you give me any suggestions for getting wrinkles out of the tulle so our veil looks picture perfect for the wedding?

Thanks for your advice.

Barb

39. Chica said: (May 30th, 2010 at 11:54 am)

Hi Barb! When I made the veil for my wedding, I left it on the hanger for weeks before the big day, and the wrinkles all fell out on their own. If you don’t have that kind of time, though, I found a pretty good list of suggestions in this eHow article. Some of the suggestions include steam and using a VERY low iron. Hope this helps, and please let us know what techniques work for you :)

40. Kate said: (August 14th, 2010 at 3:54 pm)

Can I use tulle that is 54 wide? That is all that I see at JoAnne Fabrics.

What kind of thread should I use to attach to the comb?

Can I use stitchwitchery or glue to put the satin ribbon on the tulle? I don’t have a sewing machine.

Thanks!

41. Chica said: (August 15th, 2010 at 8:04 am)

Hi Kate. If you use 54″ wide tulle, the veil will not be very wide or full. You could make it look fuller by using two layers. I’m not sure if you will get results you like, but tulle is very inexpensive, so you could try it and see. If you have time to place an order, you can get 108″ tulle at Fabric.com.

For the thread, I would use the same color as the tulle (white or ivory).

I have not worked with stitchwitchery before, so I’m not sure if it would work for attaching the ribbon. Glue might work, depending on what kind you use. Perhaps you can try some samples on a scrap of tulle and see if it works?

Let us know how it comes out!

42. Jane O'Neill said: (August 19th, 2010 at 2:48 pm)

Thanks for the instructions and the thread of comments. I found the answer to all my questions there! My daughter is getting married in a few weeks and it bringing home tulle this weekend for a veil. Now I feel more confident about cutting and adding ribbon.

43. Julie said: (September 25th, 2010 at 11:24 pm)

The Butterick 4487 pattern for wedding veils is sold out everywhere near us so I hope you won’t mind helping me.

My daughter wants a single-tier, Cascading Veil. I thought, “no problem” until I actually got started.

HOW do I cut the tulle to give that cascading effect? Every website I’ve seen offers directions for every kind EXCEPT the cascade.

I’m getting frantic!! Can you help?

Thanks so very much!

44. Chica said: (September 26th, 2010 at 1:54 pm)

Hi Julie. I just did some Googling on cascading veils and they are very pretty! I had about the same luck you did and couldn’t find a pattern. I will play around and see if I can figure it out, and let you know :)

45. Chica said: (October 1st, 2010 at 3:34 pm)

Julie, I’ve done some playing around with some tulle and here’s my best guess at how you can make a cascading veil:

Start with a very large circle of tulle. Get the widest tulle you can for a fuller veil. Lay it flat on the table and fold the top down about one foot. Gather about 8-10 inches of the seam, in the middle, by running a needle and thread through it (like I describe in my tutorial above) and pulling the thread tight. Attach the gathered part to a comb.

In my tests, this made a good cascading effect down the sides. Hope that helps you. Let us know how it comes out!

46. Julie said: (October 2nd, 2010 at 8:42 pm)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

47. teri said: (October 19th, 2010 at 2:41 am)

I love this. I just finished mine…it was project you can’t walk away from until your finished. I found myself at walmart at midnight looking for more ribbon and gems. It was a little stressful at first b/c it is so much tulle, but once I was done it looked fantastic. This is the easiest explanation I’ve found.

48. Chica said: (October 19th, 2010 at 8:31 am)

Thanks for the nice compliment, Teri! We’d love to see your finished veil :)

49. Emma said: (January 14th, 2011 at 12:15 pm)

As everyone has been saying – what great instructions!!! I was feeling nervous about making my own veil, but I am now really excited!! Thanks!

50. Emma said: (January 20th, 2011 at 9:36 am)

Just to add – I have now made my veil, and it looks fab – and really was easy to make – thanks again :D

51. Jo said: (January 20th, 2011 at 11:35 pm)

Emma, way to go! Congrats on your big day coming up!

52. coffeebean said: (February 4th, 2011 at 8:02 pm)

Hi there! Wonderful tutorial and clear instructions!

However, I was asked by family to make an adult wedding veil for my future sister-in-law, I don’t know how much satin ribbon in total to get if I were to get 8 1/2 yards of tulle?

JoAnn doesn’t sell 108″ wide tulle, but fabric.com sells it at 1.98, around $16 for 8 1/2 yards.

Thanks so much for your time :)

53. Chica said: (February 5th, 2011 at 10:38 am)

Hi coffeebean! If you were to lay that piece of tulle out flat, it would measure 25.5 feet long (8.5 yards) and 9 feet wide (108 inches), so that means it would take about 70 feet of ribbon (about 23 yards) to go all the way around. Granted, your veil isn’t going to be a rectangle after you cut it to shape, but that would be a good rule of thumb to start with. Hope that helps!

54. Coffeebean said: (February 5th, 2011 at 7:50 pm)

Hi Chica! Thanks so much for your help!

I misread the first step so I was confused in my question! I have 3 yards of tulle now, I would love to know how much ribbon would be needed for that. The bride would love to have ribbon on the ends of the veil. I’m hoping it is around 12 yards.

I’m so sorry to intrude again! Again, thanks for your help :)

55. Chica said: (February 5th, 2011 at 8:42 pm)

Coffeebean, for a 3 yard length of tulle, your total distance around all four edges would be 36 feet, so if I were you I would start with 12 yards of ribbon. Let us know how it goes :)

56. Megan said: (February 14th, 2011 at 10:22 pm)

Hi, I have the same comment as everyone else, that this tutorial is extremely clear and useful, but I am pleased to say that it was the second search result (and the first one I clicked), so it didn’t take me weeks to find it! : )

57. Chica said: (February 15th, 2011 at 6:38 am)

Hah, glad to hear that, Megan!

58. Valerie said: (February 24th, 2011 at 3:22 pm)

This “how-to” for making a bridal veil was exactly what I was looking for! I googled “How to make a bridal veil”, and that’s how I found this site. And the figures/drawings you provide were perfect! I got it done within two hours… Thanks ladies! :)

59. Chica said: (February 24th, 2011 at 5:47 pm)

Go glad to hear it, Valerie! We’d love to see a photo of your veil :)

60. Debbra Baker said: (February 26th, 2011 at 8:54 am)

I have spent hours looking for a site that would show me how to make my veil. All the ones i’ve been to just have written directions. Your site is the best. It helps when there are actual pictures showing you how to put it together. Thank you. You have made my life easier.

61. Nancy said: (February 26th, 2011 at 6:48 pm)

Thanks for the info, the shaping was great.
    My daughter- in-law wanted a plain edge but more “body”. I played with some of the excess tull and discovered that doing a roll hem with 20lb test fishing line enclosed in the fold gave te edge a bit uf curl and lot’s of body. It matched the curly hem of her gown.

62. Coffeebean said: (March 7th, 2011 at 10:24 pm)

Hi again! I thought I’d share pictures of the veil that I made. I used 3 yards of tulle from joann and around 12 yards of ribbon. I used a satin headband and sewed on satin flowers by hand.

Thanks for the tutorial! Unfortunately the bride was in a rush and didn’t use it, she used another one that someone else sent her. She didn’t bother apologizing to me. This is one reason why I hate making things for my family or relatives, no one appreciates or values handmade goods anymore. I also try to avoid telling people that I sew because they want me to make something for free (like in this case, the veil). Just a little rant!

But seriously, thanks again! I’d love to make it again for a close friend :)

63. Chica said: (March 8th, 2011 at 7:08 am)

The veil is wonderful, Coffeebean. Thanks for sharing photos! I’m sure you’ll find a bride happy to use the veil in the future :)

64. Patti said: (March 13th, 2011 at 6:30 pm)

This is exactly what I needed to find! I need to make my daughter’s first communion veil. One question, if I want to attach it to a headband that also has a clear comb on it, what’s the best way to put the headband, veil, and comb all together securely? I couldn’t figure out how the veil was attached in the pictures Coffeebean posted, and I think a comb will be required to keep even a short veil in my daughter’s thin hair.

These are the best directions I’ve found. Thanks!

65. Chica said: (March 13th, 2011 at 6:34 pm)

Patti, I’m glad we had what you were looking for :) I think the best approach to take to have a comb and a headband on the veil would be to sew the veil to the headband, making sure it’s all nice and pretty. Then sew the comb onto the headband, underneath where you can’t see it, to add the extra security you need. Hope that helps. Let us know how it comes out!

66. Coffeebean said: (March 25th, 2011 at 4:03 pm)

I sewed the veil onto the satin headband by hand. I first scrunched/gathered the veil together as in the directions and sewed it to the inner band of the headband. The lining on the headband was all satin and some ribbon, so I took advantage of that because it was fabric and sewed it on by hand.

Here is another picture showing how it was sewn on:

Thanks for the tutorial again!

67. Cheryl said: (April 1st, 2011 at 3:21 pm)

Hi,
    I experimented on a small piece of Tulle sewing the ribbon on the edge. I sewed it about 1/2″ away. My concern is that the edges rolled. I then ironed it and the Tulle melted. Glad that it was a sample. Do you have suggestions on how to sew the ribbon on without it rolling on the side?

68. Chica said: (April 1st, 2011 at 8:03 pm)

Cheryl, I’m not sure what happened, but if you could share a photo that might help. Was the ribbon really wide or stiff?

69. Dee said: (April 2nd, 2011 at 11:23 am)

This is a great tutorial, thanks so much for posting it! I have some questions about making veils with blushers, though. I’d like to make a 2-layer veil with an additional layer for a blusher, but I’m not sure of the best way to construct that. Should all of the layers be sewn in the same direction, or should the blusher face forward? Would you decorate the comb the same way if the top layer was intended to be a blusher? Thanks in advance for any input!

70. Chica said: (April 2nd, 2011 at 11:39 am)

Hi Dee. I haven’t worked with blushers before, but my instinct would be to just create one more layer of gathered tulle and attach it on top of the regular veil pieces. Since the blusher is only worn over the face for a few minutes out of the whole day, I would be inclined to sew it in the same direction as the other layers, so that it lays nice and smooth for the majority of the day. Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes!

71. Katie said: (April 2nd, 2011 at 10:23 pm)

Thanks so much for this… Doing a wedding on a budget and trying to find a good tutorial showing how to make a veil… Yours was so easy to follow… Thanks so much. I love the way my veil turned out!

72. lorrie said: (April 2nd, 2011 at 11:12 pm)

the best way to remove wrinkles from your veil is to bring it into a small bathroom with the shower on high. the steam in the room will do the rest. I use to model wedding gowns and that is where I learned of this trick.

73. Chica said: (April 3rd, 2011 at 10:40 am)

Katie, thanks and congrats on making your own veil!

Lorrie, that’s a great tip. Thanks for sharing!

74. Elena said: (April 8th, 2011 at 9:33 am)

I am making my own veil and was curious if I’m sewing straight ribbon onto the curve of how I’ve cut the tulle if any adjustments need to be made? Also, I will be sewing by hand, and would like to try using a wide lace and folding it over the unfinished edge of the tulle so that both sides are finished…thoughts?

75. Chica said: (April 9th, 2011 at 7:19 am)

Hi Elena. Curves in the tulle aren’t a big deal for really narrow ribbon, but for a wider lace, you may run into issues. Once your tulle is cut to the shape you want it, lay it flat on a table and try to pin the lace along the edge so that it lies flat. Depending on the actual lace you use and if it unravels or not, you may be able to cut notches in the top edge so that you can overlap the cut and curve it around the shape. As for covering the unfinished edge, my thoughts are that tulle is so fine and delicate that the edge won’t even show, so I wouldn’t worry about it. In face, if your lace is very lacy and has lots of open areas in it, you may find that folding it over doubles up the design and makes the lace look weird from a distance. I hope all that makes sense and is helpful. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

76. Elena said: (April 12th, 2011 at 9:47 am)

Thanks for the advice…I’m in Bolivia so the materials I have are limited…but it came out really well
    I used a lace with a flower pattern that had 1/2 an inch of straight edge and folded it over like I said…the flowers on the outside and the straight edge on the inside…instead of tulle I used a sheer white fabric, almost like what you would use for curtains so the edge had to be finished.
    But I used hot glue to put the lace in place and fold it over, then with transparent thread I’m sewing all along the edge stopping to put small pearl beads in the center of each flower on the lace…the lace was puckering a little bit after gluing it but now that I’m sewing it’s laying flat and looks so pretty! If I figure out how to put pictures up I will show you, or I could email them :) Thanks for the great advice, I can’t wait to wear it!!!!

77. Chica said: (April 12th, 2011 at 12:11 pm)

That sounds lovely, Elena! You can e-mail a photo to us at chicaandjo@chicaandjo.com and we can post it in our Flickr group for everyone to see :)

78. Kelli said: (April 22nd, 2011 at 11:52 pm)

I plan to make some dress up veils using your very complete tutorial. Thank you so much!!

79. Chica said: (April 23rd, 2011 at 10:25 am)

What a fun idea, Kelli!

80. sabreen ihsan said: (May 10th, 2011 at 1:38 am)

Although I am an experienced seamstress I have never sewn a wedding veil before. While testing a row of machine gathering stitches on a scrap of tulle I couldn’t get the results I wanted, your suggestion to gather by hand was a godsend as well as your illustrations for the entire veil. I really love your website, I’m sure I’ll be using it again, thank you so much, sabreen

81. Chica said: (May 10th, 2011 at 7:01 am)

Sabreen, we’re so glad we could help! Thanks for being a loyal reader :)

82. Sara J said: (June 4th, 2011 at 7:56 pm)

Thank you SO much for the diagrams and the folding instructions!!! My biggest issue is that the veil my friend wanted had a very thin trim. I can’t figure out the best way to attach it – would you suggest hand sewing? And if so, would I just wrap the bottom edge of tulle around the trim and sew it in the crease? I’m going to experiment but was just wondering if you had any suggestions! Thanks again, I really love the information!!

83. Chica said: (June 5th, 2011 at 12:25 pm)

Sara, glad we could get you started with this tutorial. Without seeing the actual trim you plan to use, it’s hard to say for sure what the best approach would be, but I would definitely recommending hand-sewing if it’s very delicate. The crease idea might work as long as the trim shows through the tulle clearly. Good luck with your experiments and let us know how it goes!

84. Ruby said: (August 3rd, 2011 at 9:49 am)

Thankyou so much for this page! My sister is getting married this September and has asked me and my daughter to be bridesmaids and help out where we can, so I’m currently making two bridesmaids dresses, a cornish tartan garter and her veil. I’m fine with making the other things but really didn’t know where to start with the veil as I didn’t have one for my own wedding. This page has given me all of the info I need in an easy to understand way and I’m just very grateful for it’s existence. Thanks :-)

85. Chica said: (August 3rd, 2011 at 12:00 pm)

Thank you, Ruby, and we hope you’ve become a fan of our site! Let us know how the veil comes out.

86. Kelle said: (August 12th, 2011 at 1:51 pm)

Thank you! I’m being married in a lavender dress and nowhere could I find a lavender veil. Now I will be able to make my own.

87. chrisie said: (August 25th, 2011 at 4:54 pm)

Hi…how wonderdful!..having this info available…Than you! I am going to do my oqwn trail because the veils (all white) didnt go well with my colored dress…im want my veil to have the trail my dress doesnt have…im 5`8″ (will be 5`11″ with shoes)…can u clarify the folding for this length…GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!…God bless

88. Chica said: (August 25th, 2011 at 6:23 pm)

Chrisie, so glad we could help. To determine the length, my suggestion would be to get a piece of ribbon or string and hold it on top of your head, then let it fall down your back and onto the floor. Have a friend help you mark how long it needs to be to give you the length of your veil. Then double that to make a 2-layer veil. To be safe, add an extra foot or two to your measurement when buying the tulle… you can always trim it off later :)

89. Cathy Watson said: (September 21st, 2011 at 4:16 am)

What a wonderful site. I am making my daughter’s wedding dress and veil. The tulle overlay on the dress is the same fabric as I will use for the veil. I have been reading about veils with edgings. I have seen one called a “pencil edge”. It looks to me like it’s done with an overlocker (I think you say serger – I’m from New Zealand). Do you have an idea how I can replicate this edge? Is it just the case of a fine stitch with specialist thread do you think?

90. Chica said: (September 21st, 2011 at 7:08 am)

Hi Cathy, and welcome to our site! Making your daughter’s dress and veil is such a lovely idea. I did a quick Google search for pencil edge veils to see what you mean, and it looks like they are usually done with a bunch of stitches on the very edge, probably with an overlocker/serger like you suggested. However, i think the look could be very easily replicated by sewing a very thin ribbon on the edge, like I discuss in this tutorial. From a distance of a few feet away, I bet you’d never know the difference!

91. Michelle said: (September 22nd, 2011 at 2:17 pm)

Hi, I am a beginner in making veil’s more or less to sewing. Yet, your instructions were very easy to follow. Thank you for this instructional on veils. Mine is almost done.(=

92. Chica said: (September 22nd, 2011 at 3:34 pm)

So glad to hear it, Michelle. We’d love to see your finished veil if you want to e-mail us a picture!

93. Sandy said: (October 15th, 2011 at 1:31 pm)

Thanks, Chica, for your directions for making a veil. I’m also not much into sewing, but your directions were easy to follow! I’m assembling a corpsee bride costume for Halloween. The veil turned out great! I bought the tulle for $2.50 at JoAnn’s & attached the veil to an old pearl barrette I had laying around the house. Perfect!! I can also see how easily the veil could be made into a very elegant bridal veil. Thanks for keeping the site up!

94. Chica said: (October 16th, 2011 at 2:15 pm)

Sandy, I’m so happy to hear that this tutorial helped you make your costume something special. We’d love to see a photo if you want to share one!

95. kareen said: (October 21st, 2011 at 8:42 pm)

These instructions are great, easy to follow. First l made one veil to practice (for the Hens Night) and now am making the wedding veil, too easy!!!!

96. Marilyn Harvey said: (October 22nd, 2011 at 1:45 am)

Hi thank you so much, for the easy instructions, I wasn’t sure how to begin, most other instructions on other sites only talk about the decorating, and not how to cut the tulle. I haven’t started yet, I’m making this for my daughter’s wedding, I am making a two tier veil at different lengths, not ribbon, with a comb with small flowers on it, I bought all from Spotlight, a large store in Australia, as I am Australian.

97. Marilyn Harvey said: (October 22nd, 2011 at 3:43 am)

Hi I’m wondering if I folded the tulle the other way, eg: long ways in half, would that be too much gathering?

Thanks

Marilyn

98. Chica said: (October 23rd, 2011 at 9:39 am)

Yay, Kareen!

Marilyn, I haven’t tried folding the tulle that way, so I’m not sure. If you try it out, let us know how it goes.

99. Becca said: (October 23rd, 2011 at 12:36 pm)

These instructions are great cant wait to get my supplies and make it. My brothers fiance asked me to make her veil, I was honored.Thanks for this page.

100. jenimac, Gadsden, Al said: (October 24th, 2011 at 1:19 am)

Hello girls and thanks for an awesome site. Hubby and I are renewing our 10th anniversary vows and I wanted to make my own veil. I have never had a “real” wedding and I feel like a princess when I put it on. Your step by step instructions ROCKED! Lol. I will post a picture when I get decked out. Again thanks so much for ur help. Jennifer McGatha, Gadsden, Al ……ROLL TIDE. LOLOLOLOL

101. Chica said: (October 24th, 2011 at 7:17 am)

Jenimac, we’re so happy we helped make your special day a little more special. Can’t wait to see a photo!

102. Lillian said: (November 5th, 2011 at 1:04 am)

Hi Chica- Thank you so much for the easy instructions!
    Any thoughts on how I might attach a scalloped-lace edge? And do you think it would be too heavy for the tulle?

103. Chica said: (November 5th, 2011 at 8:20 am)

Hi Lillian! It seems like you could just sew the lace on the edge, either with a sewing machine or by hand (if you have the patience). Depending on the material and thickness of the lace, it may or may not be too heavy. Perhaps you could pin it on first and see how it feels before sewing it?

104. Jackie said: (November 14th, 2011 at 11:11 pm)

Thank you so much for these wonderful instructions – very easy to follow. I plan to do a thin lace edging and attach to a barrette, and decorate with flowers. This is the first time on this page, but think that I will be visiting in the future :) Than you!

105. Chica said: (November 15th, 2011 at 7:19 am)

Jackie, we are glad you found us! Check out the rest of our wedding ideas — you might find some more projects you could use right now.

106. sheila said: (November 18th, 2011 at 3:15 pm)

Thank you for posting comments from those who have tried your tutorial. I am making my daughter’s veil who plans to marry in December. She has purchased a blusher and a cathedral veil also.. Her tiara is gold and both veils are chanpagne I plan to attach the blusher to the cathedral veil and use velcro to attach them to the tiara…. will that work and how do I go about it?

107. Harmony said: (November 28th, 2011 at 11:14 am)

Finally!! Diagrams make me very happy, thank you!
    My daughter is not getting married til next August but I work full time so thought I would get this one detail out of the way since she already has her dress.
    I had the general idea in my head but wanted confirmation that I was right.

108. Belinda said: (December 29th, 2011 at 10:00 pm)

Thanks for the instructions and discussion. I have been asked to make my future Daughter-in-law’s veil and her dres is a gold one. I have experimented with tea staining white tule and have purchased($10)one lace edged veil and tea died it. Have you got any other suggestions of how to die the tule. I do not have a sample of the fabric and I can’t wrap my brain around the color gold for a wedding dress.

109. Chica said: (December 30th, 2011 at 6:52 am)

Belinda, you certainly have a unique challenge at hand! Unfortunately, I don’t think I have any advice to share. I’ve never really done anything with tea stain or other dyes. Good luck and we’d love to hear how it comes out.

110. sarah said: (January 4th, 2012 at 9:02 pm)

Thank you so much for these clear instructions. I am making my daughter’s veil and we are very happy with it. The only problem has been the static electricity, but the 1 tsp fabric softener mixed with some warm water in a spray bottle works beautifully. I plan to take the spray bottle to the March wedding.

111. Holly Behnke said: (January 17th, 2012 at 11:25 pm)

I found a beautiful cathedral length veil @ a bridal store. However, I would like to try to make my own. It has lace appliqué on the end of the veil. Can you tell me how I could create this look myself? Would I buy lace and glue it to the edge of the veil? Thank you so much for your help.

112. Chica said: (January 18th, 2012 at 10:43 am)

Holly, it seems to me that you could either glue or sew the lace to the veil, depending on how much time you have and how secure you want it to be.

113. Holly Behnke said: (January 18th, 2012 at 11:49 am)

Ok thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

114. Ellie said: (January 22nd, 2012 at 6:03 am)

I have searched the internet high and low and this is by far the best literature and graphic combination I have seen to make a veil. My wedding is in two weeks and I will be making a center gathered elbow length veil, thanks to you.

115. Chica said: (January 22nd, 2012 at 9:50 am)

Thanks so much, Ellie! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and have fun making your veil.

116. Kris said: (January 22nd, 2012 at 6:55 pm)

HI! Great instructions/diagrams. How would you recommend cutting scallops on a center gathered veil?

Thanks :-)

117. Chica said: (January 22nd, 2012 at 8:34 pm)

Kris, that sounds like quite a challenge. I think it might work to start with a round item (plate, cup, etc) that’s the size you want the scallop to be, and then use that as a template to trace your scallops onto the edge with a marker. Then you could cut along the lines, making sure to cut away all of the marker.

118. Sue said: (February 5th, 2012 at 4:57 pm)

my mom made my veil 40 years ago. she just cut the tulle and left the edges raw. it makes it very light. I am taking my veil apart to make a simpler veil for my daughters. No need to do the extra work of finishing the edges.

119. Denise said: (February 13th, 2012 at 6:45 pm)

I found your site today through an online search and am SO glad I did! After viewing the outlandish prices at the bridal salons, my future daughter-in-law wanted to try making her own veil to save money. She doesn’t sew, so she asked if I would help her. We have already purchased the tulle and she wants to have ribbon stitched on the edges, which is where I would really come in. I was a little shakey about that even though I have some extensive sewing background. We were going to attempt all of that without a pattern and fly by the seat of our pants with some ideas of our own. Your photos and diagrams have given us the extra encouragement we needed to show us that we are on the right track. The comments section of your site and the responses you give other women were very helpful to read as well. Thank you so much for putting this all together!

120. Chica said: (February 14th, 2012 at 6:56 am)

Denise, we’re so happy that we’ve helped you with this project. And big thanks to all our readers who always offer such great tips and ideas in the comments!

121. Rosa said: (February 15th, 2012 at 4:17 pm)

Great tutorial! Thanks for the great resources. I’ll be making my second veil this week.

122. Debbie said: (February 24th, 2012 at 3:12 am)

After several days of searching the internet, I’m happy to have found your site! I have a couple of questions though before I begin this project. First of all my daughter and son are getting married within 3 months of each other. Both weddings obviously have smaller budgets, therefore I am making the cakes, helping with food, flowers, etc….and I am now surprising both my daughter and soon to be daughter-in-law with veils customized to each individual girl. They both want 1 tier and each want different lengths. Each want 1/8″ Satin “Rat Tail” Ribbon/Cord. Neither girl wants anything that might look “poofy” as they call it. So would the pattern you list still work for that, and what would be the best way to trim the veil with the cord/ribbon? I’m thinking hand sewing, but I have never done anything with such tiny edging. Would love any help you can give! I want to make their “BIG Days” extra special with a gift from my heart!

123. Chica said: (February 24th, 2012 at 6:40 am)

Debbie, I’ll be honest with you — I had to look up rattail cord before I knew what you were talking about, but now it makes perfect sense. What a funny name! Anyway, I think hand sewing is going to be your best bet, since the cord is so round and thing. I would suggest getting matching thread and just whip-stitching it in place, so that the thread actually goes around in a wide spiral, securing the cord to the tulle. As long as your thread matches, you’ll never notice unless you’re up really close. To keep the veils from being too “poofy”, use a 72″ width of tulle instead of 108″ and that should help. And try not to worry about messing up, because this is a pretty forgiving project. And even though you are on a budget, tulle is really inexpensive, so even if you don’t like how the first one comes out, you could always start over. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

124. Sherry said: (February 25th, 2012 at 10:16 pm)

Thank you so much for your diagram and pictures for the bridal wedding veil. I do not sew, so I never thought in a million years of making my own veil. I have searched on kijiji, looked at bridal stores ect for a veil. I really want something unique and special….what I like in bridal stores are over $100.00 a veil (on sale) $250 regular….way more than I want to spend. What I have seen on kijiji, it is hard to know in a picture if I will like it or not……with your site I have decided to tackle the task of making my own wedding veil. I can’t wait. With your instructions I think I can actually pull it off. Thank you. Thank you. I just wish those who have already posted on here would have shared their veils so I can see what others have come up with. THe one who did share, the page no longer exists.

125. Chica said: (February 26th, 2012 at 9:23 am)

Sherry, I applaud your courage and wish you the best of luck with your veil. I wish we could see all the veils others have created… Jo and I love seeing photos of finished projects!

126. Aleta said: (March 1st, 2012 at 5:59 pm)

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to publish this information. I, too, thought the price of a veil outlandish in consideration of materials and skill required. Now I feel confident about making one for my daughter. I probably could have figured it out on my own, but having your pattern will make the process SO MUCH simpler and easier. Thanks!!

127. Debby said: (March 18th, 2012 at 2:55 pm)

I was asked by my daughter to make her wedding veil. I got online and saw your instructions after looing at many others. I read the many different reviews & saw where people was saying Joan Ann fabric didnt carry the 108 inch wide tulle. Not sure where are living but the Joanne fabric store here in Ohio has a good choice of all widths including the 108″ wide. I am anxious to get started on this veil & thank you for giving such detailed instructions.

128. Chica said: (March 18th, 2012 at 7:44 pm)

Thanks for the tip about the tulle, Debby. Good luck with the veil and we’d love to hear how it goes!

129. April said: (March 21st, 2012 at 9:34 pm)

I have never sewn in my life, with the exception of maybe a button :) I was very interested in giving this a shot since I have a few months until my wedding. I’m having difficulty telling if all this can be done by hand (with no sewing machine) if the time is available. It seems like it is possible, but I thought I would check on what you guys thought for someone who has never sewn before. Should I break down and just spend the $150? I’m looking to do some beads, etc. to match my dress on the edging… and if I was OH SO LUCKY, I would love to figure out if I could stitch a few small smiley faces in it somehow. Any thoughts? Bluntess appreciated if I shouldn’t try it with no sewing skills! I was quite inspired by the ease you demonstrated and the helpful comments in all the posts. Thank you for making this available on the internet! (found through a google search fyi) :)

130. Chica said: (March 23rd, 2012 at 6:46 am)

April, we’re so glad you found us and hope you’ll continue to poke around our site at some of our other wedding projects while you’re here! You can definitely do this veil by hand without much sewing experience. In fact, the only part that I used a sewing machine for was the trim, so if you don’t want trim on it, you’ll definitely be set. You can still do the trim, of course, and by hand. If you do, I’d say the biggest risk would be that the trim won’t be straight. To help avoid that, I would recommend that you make longer, easy stitches rather than tiny, tight ones. If it doesn’t feel secure, you can always go back and add a second set of stitches. That will help you keep things loose and not overworked. Sewing on the beads is something you’d definitely do by hand, too. To help you with the placement of those, perhaps you can lay them out and tape them in place, and then sew them one by one? Unless your budget is incredibly tight, I would suggest you go ahead and risk the $20 or so that it’ll cost you for tulle and trim and see what you come up with. If you like it, continue by adding the beads. If not, scrap it and go for something pre-made. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

131. Chica said: (March 29th, 2012 at 6:55 am)

Special thanks to Beverly, one of our readers who shared a photo of her finished veil with us. I posted it in our Flickr group for reader’s projects right here so you guys could all see it.

132. Peqqy said: (April 4th, 2012 at 4:45 am)

please give me some advise I have been looking for days online on how to make a cascade… angel.. waterfall veil. They are all considered the same style. I want to make a a cascade veil that has wavey sides from top to bottom. How do I cut the tulle? Is it a circle or rounded oblong. I will be making it about 50″ long in the back and I want a blusher too.. thanks.

Here is a sample picture of cascade veil what I would like to make.

133. Chica said: (April 4th, 2012 at 6:48 am)

Peggy, I think you will be able to make the cascading veil you’re looking for with our tutorial. Just be sure to only gather it in the middle, and not all the way across. You may want to experiment with where you fold the tulle to get the length and effect you want. You can always gather it then remove the thread and try again if you don’t like it. Note that a cascading veil doesn’t really work as a blusher, so you may need to gather a separate piece of tulle and attach it to the comb as well so that it can be flipped over your face. Hope that helps!

134. diane said: (April 10th, 2012 at 2:13 am)

I agree wholeheartedly that these are by far the best instructions I have been able to find. Thanks for sharing them. I am making a veil for my daughter’s First Communion. She would like it on a headband. Do you have any suggestions for how to attach it? Other sites suggest a hot glue gun, but that doesn’t make sense to me as I imagine it would be uncomfortable to feel the glue bumps on the underside of the headband. Would there be a specific technique you would recommend for trying to sew it to the headband? Thanks for your help.

135. Chica said: (April 10th, 2012 at 6:56 am)

Thanks, Diane! I would have to agree that hot glue could create bumps that would be uncomfortable. I suggest sewing the veil to the headband, starting in loose basting stitches to make sure all the tulle is going to fit, Then gather it together and add smaller stitches until it’s secure. Hope that helps!

136. Ahma said: (April 17th, 2012 at 1:41 pm)

How much fabric will I need for a child’s communion veil? And I would I attached a beaded headband?

Your directions are AWESOME! I have searched everywhere for directions made simple for a novice like me.

Thank you!

137. Chica said: (April 18th, 2012 at 6:59 am)

Ahma, I’m so glad you love our tutorial! To determine how much tulle you need for your veil, measure from the top of the child’s head to where you want the veil to end and double that length. Whether or not you attach a beaded headband is up to you :)

138. Kimly said: (April 20th, 2012 at 1:29 am)

Hi! I love how easy you made this tutorial! I was just hoping to clarify, for the “center only” veil, what did you do with the top edges that weren’t gathered?

Thanks!!

139. Helen said: (April 20th, 2012 at 10:37 am)

Hello. I am making my own veil. Thank you for having this website. I looked at the price of wedding veils & I couldn’t believe how expensive they were. Wow! So far my total is $3.84! That is a big cost difference. When the veil is completed I will post pics if you would like. I am also taking a sewing class so I can make my own wedding dress due to the fact that I can’t find my perfect dress. Does everyone wear strapless, cleavage revealing dresses these days or what? Do they even make modest, simple wedding dresses anymore?

140. Chica said: (April 20th, 2012 at 11:35 am)

Thanks, Kimly! For the center-only veil, I just left the non-gathered edges hanging down.

141. Chica said: (April 20th, 2012 at 11:37 am)

Helen, it sounds like you are off to a great start at keeping your wedding budget under control! We’d love to see finished photos of your veil, and if you have a Flickr account, you can post them in our Flickr group for reader photos.

142. Janice Stover said: (April 22nd, 2012 at 10:07 am)

Wow your tutorial makes it so easy. We have a very tight budget for my daughter’s wedding in November so we are getting really creative in order to stay in our budget w/o being “tacky”. This tutorial assures me that I can make a beautiful veil for my daughter’s special day. Thank you so much for taking the guess work out of it for me!

143. Chica said: (April 22nd, 2012 at 8:08 pm)

We’re so happy we could help, Janice. Let us know how it goes!

144. momof4 said: (May 1st, 2012 at 12:23 pm)

Great tutorial! One question, is the ribbon applied with one row of stitching or two? It’s not like I’ll be washing this often, but usually I try to “bomb-proof” my sewing…Does the ribbon lie flat with a single row of stitches?

145. Chica said: (May 1st, 2012 at 1:12 pm)

momof4, I only applied one row of stitches to the ribbon on my veil. I have no intention of washing it, though, so no idea how well it will hold up to that.

146. Darlene said: (May 13th, 2012 at 8:47 am)

My daughter wants to make a veil for her wedding….. She wants it made from the lace of my wedding gown which has a lace trim on the bottom already…. How do I make a veil out of this kind of fabric ? Please HELP !!!!!!!!

147. Chica said: (May 13th, 2012 at 9:38 am)

Darlene, that is a lovely idea to reuse your wedding gown to make a veil for your daughter. If it were me, I would enlist the help of a professional seamstress for the job, though… I would hate to make a mistake and ruin such a treasured item.

148. rebecca said: (May 26th, 2012 at 4:57 pm)

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I just made a veil using your instructions; it was easy and it came out great! I’m going on safari in Africa with my best friend who is getting married in September, and the veil is a surprise gift for her on the trip. I can’t wait to get photos of her wearing the veil with elephants and giraffes in the background! Thanks again, she’s going to love it!

149. Chica said: (May 27th, 2012 at 2:26 pm)

Rebecca, that sounds like a pretty amazing wedding, and your handmade veil will be a lovely gift. Glad the tutorial worked out for you, and we’d love to see a photo of the veil in action :)

150. Ellie said: (June 3rd, 2012 at 10:12 am)

I would love to thank you a million and one times. I used your method to make my wedding veil and it cost me about $3 to purchase the tulle. I did a elbow length veil and it was absolutely gorgeous. I would like to upload a photo of my veil on my wedding day. thanks again. you saved me hundreds of dollars and added a personal touch to my wedding day. thanks for inspiring.

151. Chica said: (June 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 am)

Ellie, we’re so happy to have helped. It’s amazing how much money can be saved by making your own veil, and I agree that the personal touch is the best part. Please do upload a photo of your veil to our Flickr group after your wedding day, because we’d love to see it!

152. Shar said: (July 10th, 2012 at 2:50 am)

Hi! Thank you sooo much for this post! My Mom and I used your pattern and made my veil for my wedding June 30 2012 and it was perfect!
    Thank you!!
    Shar

153. Chica said: (July 10th, 2012 at 6:42 am)

Shar, we’re so excited to hear that! Congratulations on your recent wedding. We’d love to see a photo of your veil if you want to post it in our Flickr group for reader photos.

154. Lianda (South Africa) said: (July 27th, 2012 at 4:27 am)

I love this veil lesson very much! I`m making a veil for a friend – first time ever I`m doning it – and the information and step by step illustrations are perfect. Thank you so much.

155. Sally said: (July 30th, 2012 at 1:28 am)

I am having some problems getting the veil just right. It has two tiers with wide decorative lace trim that has peakes and valleys reaching up about 5 inches at the widest points…and has a lovely scalloped edge. It definitely adds weight. My daughter did not want the trim to go up to the top, so I did the center gather. Okay, so after trying 108″ and 72″, I felt that the 54″ was going to show off the lace trim without folding over on itself too many times and loosing the look of this amazing lace. But after I pinned it on I had some problems. Maybe you can help :) I folded the tule so that there are two tiers with the intention of using the top layer for a blusher. I gathered the 54″ in the center (1/3 of the 54″). I spaced the layers about 7 inches apart- enough to nicely clear the first tier lace. It is still too wide I think, because the lace still folds over itself a lot and looks too busy to see the lace’s pattern. It seems especially bunched around the upper sides and it is just pretty bunched. When I put the top layer over as the blusher the sides are higher and it looks “wrong”. The sides fall heavy with the tule folding over itself and it just doesn’t look attractive. I am thinking if I used less width I could get less folding over and see the lace pattern and that it might have a simplier, less heavy folding over on the sides/at the arms…? I could raise the 2nd layer up much more, but I’m not sure that will solve the problem of so much tulle gathering at the sides/arms-shoulders and the problem of it hanging shorter there, too. If I can get the two layers to lay with only a slight ruffle, without too much folding over, I am thinking I should just attach another piece of tulle for the blusher (although the lace bottom did make a beautiful bottom to the blusher). One last thing is that the lace adds quite a bit of weight (and this is just a fingertip length). Okay I know I wrote a lot… hope I made sense with what I am getting and what I am trying to get.

156. Chica said: (August 2nd, 2012 at 7:06 am)

Sally, I think I understand your situation, though I’m not sure how much I will be able to help without actually being there. It sounds like the main problem you’re having is too much tulle, which is creating too much veil to work with. You said that the results got better when you moved down from the wide 108″ tulle to the 72″ and then the 54″, right? Can you go even smaller, maybe? Or perhaps you can gather less of it in the middle and then trim the shape of what’s left into more of a teardrop than an oval, to get rid of some of the extra tulle? Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

157. Sally said: (August 6th, 2012 at 11:40 pm)

I decided to try this: I cut off the top part of the lace, leaving just the lace’s scalloped bottom at the front of each side of the veil. [This is a 54" center gathered two tiered veil where each front side drops in a fold to just below the shoulders at the shortest point]. So instead of seeing the full lace you see just a scalloped edge from the fold on each side to just in front of the arm/elbow. I think this lightened the look considerably and I believe I can make this work. I agree that starting with a smaller width would have probably helped a lot! I think rather than use the first tier as a blusher, maybe I should add another piece of tule as the blusher (without lace). I would get back some poof at the top. When I pull the first tier over as a blusher it looked a little funny because it falls in short gathers on the sides.
    I do have a question about the best way to sew the lace on. I will be doing by hand. I have gone around the lace’s scalloped bottom with transparent thread. Now I have the top of the lace – embroidery look filigree flowers and stems that reach up and down. Maybe tack it in strategic places or do you go completely around every piece?
    If I can figure out how to post a picture I will :)

158. Chica said: (August 7th, 2012 at 8:06 am)

Sally, I’m glad to hear you’re making progress. Sounds like trimming the lace was a good way to lighten the veil, and I do like your idea about making the blusher just be tulle with no lace on it. I think for sewing the lace in place, how much work you put into it is up to you. Veils don’t generally get a lot of wear and tear, so strategic tacking will likely do the job just fine. However, if you have time (and patience) to sew more, it certainly wouldn’t hurt!

I can’t wait to see a photo of the finished veil! If you have a Flickr account, you can post it in our Flickr group for reader photos. If not, just email it to us at chicaandjo@chicaandjo.com and we’ll post it for you.

159. Sally said: (August 7th, 2012 at 9:15 am)

Do you have any guidelines for adding the additional piece of tulle as a blusher to a finished veil?
    Thanks!!

160. Chica said: (August 7th, 2012 at 9:36 am)

Sally, I would just take a gathered piece of tulle, whip-stitch it to the comb or clip at the top of the veil, drape it over the face, then trim carefully to the desired length. Cut it long at first — you can always make it shorter if need be!

161. Sally said: (August 9th, 2012 at 11:53 pm)

Ok – that sounds good. Should I get a 54″ piece and gather all of it?
    I am still stitching the lace on and it is looking very nice. Long process by hand :)
    You know how wedding dresses have little satin buttons and thread loops to bussle up the dress post ceremony? Well I am going to hide a small satin button and thread loop in the bottom front pieces of the veil so it can be pulled under and behind, then brought together in back. Don’t know if anyone has ever done that. when I tried it; tucked the front under and to the back underneath the first and second tier it looked fine (it’s the part with just the scalloped edge of lace). Because my daughter wanted to wear the veil at the reception, I thought this would just clear her face and the front of the dress a bit. For later; not for the ceremony or post-ceremony pictures.

162. Chica said: (August 10th, 2012 at 8:42 am)

Sally, you may need to experiment with the width for the blusher. You want the fullness to match the veil, I would think, but you also want to make sure there’s not too much or too little fabric across the bride’s face, so that it looks right. And I love the idea of bustling the veil. You definitely need to share photos with us after your creation is complete!

163. Sally said: (August 10th, 2012 at 10:07 pm)

Thanks so much for all your advice. I will play around with the tulle for the blusher just as you have suggested. And…I’ll let you know how it comes out. Going out of town for several days but I’ll post soon.

164. Cheryl Agee said: (August 17th, 2012 at 1:28 am)

When planning a wedding in a months notice and its a all camo wedding one gets creative. So first thank you for these instructions. I am going to attempt to make my veil. I am assuming since I am using Realtree camo netting that I will want to use a even stronger thread. I will be triming it as well. (And I am doing it by hand) I dont have a sewing machine. Any advice? Ps. I have not done any sewing in since my great grandma passed in April of 1999…

165. Chica said: (August 17th, 2012 at 6:59 am)

Cheryl, it sounds like you are planning yourself a very memorable and unique wedding! I haven’t worked with the netting you are going to use, but I imagine it’s quite a bit heavier than tulle, so be careful not to use too much, or the weight might become uncomfortable on your head. You might want to use a clip barrette instead of a comb so that you can really secure it in your hair. A good heavy thread you could try would be hand quilter’s thread. Good luck and we’d love to see how it comes out!

166. Kristi said: (August 26th, 2012 at 3:19 pm)

Hi. Thank you for the amazing instructions. I made a beautful ivory fingertip veil yesterday following your directions. I can’t believe how much money I am saving making my own, plus I was able to choose tulle that matched my ivory dress perfectly. I’m so glad I found your sight. Thanks for sharing with us.

I want to add just a little sparkle to my veil now. I make jewelry and have a huge selections of beads. I want to add silver lined bugle beads and small swarovski bicone beads to the edges of the veil. I would prefer to sew them on, rather than use glue, but I’m not sure what kind of “thread” to use. I think that the veils I looked at in stores had a thin fishing type line attaching the beads, but I don’t have any experience with that. Issume that is so the stiches don’t show. Do you have any suggestions on how to attach beads? Thank you and best wishes.

167. Chica said: (August 27th, 2012 at 8:15 am)

Kristi, I would recommend using a clear thread, so that it doesn’t compete with the beads. Look in the thread section of your local craft/sewing store and you should be able to find a spool of it. We’d love to see your veil, btw!

168. merinie said: (August 31st, 2012 at 5:09 pm)

Ive finally found the perfect website to help me with my wedding veil. I have a flickr account but do not know how to add photos to another persons group. So ive posted it to my flickr account and will give you the link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/78725467@N08/7902446188/in/photostream

169. Chica said: (September 2nd, 2012 at 6:50 pm)

Merinie, your veil came out great! Thanks for sharing the photo. I just sent you an invite to add it to our Readers’ Projects group in Flickr :)

170. Shar said: (October 12th, 2012 at 1:30 am)

Hi again,
    I finally got some wedding pictures on Flickr that show my veil so I have uploaded them! Thanks again, my veil was beautiful! :)

171. Chica said: (October 12th, 2012 at 4:24 pm)

Love the pics, Shar… thanks for sharing! Here’s a link to my favorite for anyone else who might want to see Shar’s veil.

172. Barbara Graybill said: (October 15th, 2012 at 4:05 pm)

I found your site several months ago while sewing my daughter’s wedding gown. I used 108 inch tulle and created a long and a short veil (tulle is so inexpensive) for her to choose from. I’d encourage everyone to get creative since you can inexpensively alter this wonderful basic design by adding beads, ribbons, headpieces, etc. I’d send pictures, but the hairdresser used the wrong veil…but I still have two daughters to go yet! LOL

173. Chica said: (October 15th, 2012 at 4:18 pm)

Thanks for the encouragement to our readers, Barbara. Glad you enjoyed this project, and hopefully your other two daughters will make use of your sewing skills.

174. La Von said: (October 27th, 2012 at 7:46 pm)

Thank you so much , my granddaughter is dressing as a bride for Halloween , bought a pattern made the dress , also made her bouquet . the veil had me worried this was so simple and very pretty . I’m happy and I know she’ll love it

175. Amanda said: (November 1st, 2012 at 5:31 am)

Hi, first I would like to tell you that your diagram is extremely helpful. I would also like to ask, what may be a silly question. I have never worn a veil before so I am not 100% on how they work while on. If I were to make the center gathered veil, would I still be able to wear the top layer over my face while walking down the aisle? Or would this only work with the full gathered veil? Also, if I were to sew it onto a tiara, what would “the right type” be? Thanks for the instructions! And I hope the answers to my questions aren’t to obvious! Thanks again!

176. Chica said: (November 1st, 2012 at 9:29 am)

Amanda, I’m happy to answer your questions as best I can. I have not experimented with making a blusher that would go over your face, but my instinct tells me that the full-gathered style will work better. You may want to try it both ways and see which you like better (just remove the thread and start over if you need to). As for the tiara, I think you can use either style just fine.

177. Shar said: (November 7th, 2012 at 9:51 pm)

Hi Chicago,
    I’m glad you like the pics:) thanks again, I’m keeping the veil and plan to give it to my daughter for her wedding!
    Shar

178. Lorraine said: (November 15th, 2012 at 3:51 am)

Hi Chica
    I was wondering if you had a tutorial on mantilla wedding veils? My daughter would love me to make her a very long mantilla veil and I am having trouble finding a pattern. There are several blogs on the Internet on how-to cut a mantilla out – but they are all different! I would appreciate any help you old give – thanks!
    Lorraine

179. Chica said: (November 18th, 2012 at 8:53 am)

Sorry, Lorraine, but I don’t have any experience with Mantilla veils.

180. Jodie said: (November 19th, 2012 at 5:58 pm)

Thankyou so much for this tutorial! I’m getting married next year on a shoestring budget, but I am determined that it will be as beautiful as as possible. I was so confused about veils in general (having never even seen one up close) and had never thought of making my own. Now I feel confident to have a go and create something stunning. Thanks again! x

181. Chica said: (November 21st, 2012 at 7:35 am)

Jodie, we’re so happy to have given you the confidence to create your own veil. You’ll love it that much more knowing that you made it yourself :)

182. Alisha said: (December 2nd, 2012 at 12:49 pm)

Thank you! :)

183. Kristina said: (December 9th, 2012 at 8:34 pm)

I just bought some tulle today just to play with and I’m SO glad I didn’t buy a veil! So easy and now I can have exactly what I want and it’s not going to cost me an arm and a leg!

184. Chica said: (December 10th, 2012 at 1:11 pm)

So glad we saved you some money, Kristina. Hope you enjoy making your perfect veil :)

185. Cassie said: (December 31st, 2012 at 6:09 pm)

Hi, I was just wondering hot to make the bottom part detachable? I have dreamt of a cathedral length veil with a short blusher. Problem is, I want to wear the blusher only during the reception as the long veil will be too much

186. Chica said: (January 1st, 2013 at 10:37 am)

Cassie, the easiest way to do this is to make two veil pieces, each with its own comb/barrette, and layer them. For the ceremony, put the long one on first and the shorter one on top of it. Then take the longer one off for the reception.

187. sugabezy said: (January 2nd, 2013 at 2:00 am)

this was super easy 2 make! my sister is getting married tomorrow and it was a last minute wedding with a humble budget. 2 yards of tulle and trim along with a plastic head band and BOOM instant bridal beauty! when i say instant i mean around 30-45 min not because its hard but because i kept taking breaks and im not highly skilled. but still its finished and perfectly gorgeous. thanks 4 this information

188. Chica said: (January 2nd, 2013 at 8:22 am)

So glad we could help keep the wedding on budget, sugabezy!

189. Chica said: (January 3rd, 2013 at 4:22 pm)

Everyone who read the conversation Sally and I had above will be happy to hear that she finished her daughter’s veil and it came out wonderfully. She shared a photo with me which I’ve posted here in our Flickr group.

Sally, you did such a great job with that lace! If you have any final tips to share with our readers, I’m sure they’d love to hear them.

190. Sally said: (January 17th, 2013 at 1:10 pm)

Here are some comments about making the veil: Once I decided on the width and length of tulle to use and where it would be gathered; all wonderful directions from your site, I had some issues to work through. Where to turn the lace so both tiers would be seen right side out. Wonderful that your site gave the “heads up” on this need. I didn’t really like the way the first tier looked when used as a blusher, so adding a piece of tulle as a blusher worked perfectly – just as you suggested, Chica ? It also helped add a little lift at the top which was an issue with the heavy lace. I had also attached at the comb a couple short pieces of stiffer tulle underneath the veil to add some lift (again because of the heavy lace).Still working to help lighten the weight and also the look I removed all but the border of the lace from the very front (two tiers/folded – approx. 28” total on each side or as folded about 14” visually on each side). With the wide lace we used and because the veil folds back and forth over itself, esp. at the sides, this created a cleaner look. Then, as the veil began its fall from just below the shoulder the full width of lace was not as gathered and the tiers had more of a separation so it showed the beautiful pattern better. I also added a satin button and loop hidden at the sides so later the veil could be brought together underneathand & behind (because my daughter wanted to wear it throughout the reception) – kind of like bustling the veil only side to side. She didn’t actually use it but pushed the sides of the veil behind her shoulders. It really looked lovely bustled as well. You can see a hint of the loop by her bare arm in the third picture. All in all, we thought it turned out great!

Additionally, I used clear thread to attach the lace to the tulle.It’s a little hard to work with (better not to have too long a piece to work with), kinda like fishing wire, but it is invisible and I wanted that.
    I pinned the lace all on making sure it was exactly as I needed it to be before I stiched.
    I worked my way up and down around the lace pattern with moderate length stitches – probably shorter than basting, but not nearly like regular stitching either.

191. mud angel said: (January 30th, 2013 at 1:36 pm)

hi I am getting married in september 2013 and i am dealing with alot of static in the tulle. i would like to avoid this on my wedding day and it would make things a heck of a lot easier to make it lol if it wasnt sticking to me everywhere. its a chapel length or cathedral length veil with a blusher. still working on decorations though. its just the static that really bugs me. i already have it sewn onto the comb.

192. Chica said: (January 31st, 2013 at 7:24 am)

Mug angel, have you tried spraying some Static Guard on the tulle?

193. Inez said: (February 8th, 2013 at 9:28 pm)

Very easy instructions. Thank you.

194. Tawnya said: (March 26th, 2013 at 6:03 pm)

Thank you i am making my own veil with your directions and its turning out nicely thank you again

195. Chica said: (March 27th, 2013 at 7:09 am)

You’re quite welcome, Tawnya!

196. Mary said: (April 5th, 2013 at 8:48 am)

Your instructions are look thorough! I would like to make my daughter’s wedding veil but first I have two questions: 1. she only wants a single layer veil. How do I make the edge near the comb look finished w/o a fold there? 2. what brand of glue/adhesive do you suggest to attach gems/rhinstones to the tulle? Thanks!!

197. Chica said: (April 8th, 2013 at 7:50 pm)

Mary, I think you’ll find that the edge of the tulle on a single-layer veil is pretty easy to disguise because the tulle is so thin that it bunches up nicely. You could just add a strip of ribbon or some gems across the edge to cover it up. As for gluing gems/rhinestones to the tulle, I have not tried that and can’t make a recommendation to you. I suggest asking the helpful folks at the craft store where you purchase your supplies.

198. Tiffany said: (April 9th, 2013 at 3:14 pm)

Chica, I note that the length should be double the end length however how wide should the veil be. The lenght I want is approx 15” however dont know how wide to cut the fabric. Any advice is appreciated.

199. Chica said: (April 12th, 2013 at 7:25 am)

Tiffany, the width you cut the tulle will determine how full and ruffled it is. Tulle is usually available in 72″ or 108″ widths in the store, so you can choose either width depending on how full you want your veil to be.

200. Mary Beth said: (May 7th, 2013 at 7:11 pm)

I have a question about the method where you just gather the middle. What happens to the rest of that folded edge? Does it just hang down?

Also, I want to add a strand of tiny pearls all the way around. Definitely hand sewn, not glued. Do you suggest sewing it to the very edge? Or would it be simpler to sew it in a bit from the edge and then trimming away the excess tulle when it’s finished?

I’m making this veil for my future daughter-in-law and can’t wait to get started!

201. Chica said: (May 8th, 2013 at 10:24 am)

Mary Beth, it’s so nice that you are making a veil for your future daughter-in-law. What a personal touch to the wedding!

When you only gather the middle of the tulle, the remaining tulle on each side will just hang down. Fortunately, this gathering is easy and forgiving, so if you don’t like the way it hangs, you can cut out the thread and try again with different amounts in your gather.

If I were adding a string of pearls, I would be concerned about keeping them straight and not getting too wavy. For that reason, I would recommend cutting the tulle first, ensuring you have a nice smooth curve, then sewing the pearls on to the very edge. If you work up from the edge, you might have trouble keeping it even and straight. Also, make sure those pearls are as lightweight as possible, so that it doesn’t weigh the veil down.

202. Mary Beth said: (May 8th, 2013 at 2:43 pm)

Thanks for the quick response, Chica! One more question…will a 2-layer veil be too bunchy to attach with a comb under an updo even if I only gather part of it? I assume I attach the tulle to the comb before attaching the pearls, correct?

203. Chica said: (May 10th, 2013 at 7:00 pm)

Mary Beth, I’m afraid you’re venturing into questions I can’t answer. All I can say is try it out and see what works best!

204. Beth said: (May 12th, 2013 at 10:12 am)

Thank you for this lovely tutorial. What a nice thing to be able to do for your own wedding (as well as saving bucket loads of money) In South Africa, I can rent a veil for about R900 and buy one for about R1400- buying my materials has cost me just over R200. I have cut my beautiful veil and was wondering if adding the lace trim before I attach it to the comb is better? The lovely tulle and lace trim I found work so nicely together that it does not matter which way they are placed, they work both ways (lace trim over net or net over lace). Is it better to attach the comb first, or can I go ahead with the lace trim first. Any advice would be much appreciated!

205. Chica said: (May 12th, 2013 at 10:56 am)

Beth, I’m so glad we were able to help you save some money and also add a personal touch to your wedding veil. I think the lace trim will be easier to attach if the tulle is still flat, so I would suggest adding it before you gather it and attach it to the comb. One risk to that approach, though, is that if you don’t like the way it looks gathered with the lace, you might have to remove the lace and start again. Best of luck!

206. Linda said: (July 15th, 2013 at 9:54 pm)

Hi Chica, this site has been very helpful. I have 2 daughters getting married this year, one being within 2 weeks. What is the best way to cut out the fabric for a 3 tier fingertip veil? She also wants 1/8th inch ribbon attached all around so I think I would like the veil like the waterfall style. She doesn’t know what she wants. She said I could decide. The third layer will not be to put forward on her face. That much she knows. Thanks, Linda

207. Chica said: (July 16th, 2013 at 7:16 am)

Linda, I think the best idea for an uncertain bride is to cut some pieces of tulle into large ovals like I described, gather them, and have her try them on. She’ll know right away if she likes the look or not, and you can then adjust the gather if needed to make it fuller. Do as much fitting as you can before adding the finishing details. And even if you get the cut wrong and have to start over, at least tulle is pretty cheap!

208. Mariangela said: (July 29th, 2013 at 1:29 am)

hinthere! great tutorial! any tips on how to make a juliet cap veil? is there any way i can take apart (from the comb) a double layer veil with the centre gather (as above) and work with that?

209. Chica said: (July 30th, 2013 at 7:59 pm)

Sorry, Mariangela, but I don’t have any advice to share regarding a juliet cap veil. Whether or not you can work with the tulle from an existing veil that you take apart will depend on how much tulle there is and what shape it’s in. Good luck!

210. Kathy said: (August 15th, 2013 at 9:51 pm)

I am making a veil for my daughter’s wedding. I do a lot of crafting and sewing, so I know my way around fabrics. My daughter wants beading on the edges of the veil but I am uncertain as to how to attach them. I have practiced with thread but it doesn’t seem straight. One site I was reading suggested the “clear” thread which I haven’t tried yet. Do you have any suggestions for trimming a veil with beading?

211. Chica said: (August 16th, 2013 at 12:00 pm)

Sorry, Kathy, but I don’t have any experience with sewing on beading. If it doesn’t seem straight, perhaps using fewer/looser stitches might help?

212. Stephanie said: (September 8th, 2013 at 9:30 pm)

My soon to be mother in law bought some beautiful lace for me to make a veil with. This is completely finished on top and bottom but is raw on the sides ( where it was cut from the bolt). How would I go about making a veil form this? I want to keep the gorgeous beading and detail that is on the edges. HELP! – Getting married in 3 weeks :)

213. Chica said: (September 9th, 2013 at 7:01 am)

Stephanie, it’s really hard to suggest a solution without seeing the lace, but perhaps you can trim it along some of the natural curves of the lace to make the raw edge look nice? If not, you might need to hem it. Good luck!

214. Kimberley said: (September 9th, 2013 at 11:46 am)

Just finished my veil for my wedding, only got the decorations left and it looks fantastic! Picked up the for only a couple of pounds and the beads, pearls and gems were resonable too so instead of spending a bomb (I was quoted £150+!!!) I’ll be spending around £25!!! And it’s something unique that I’m hoping to pass on in the family!

Thank you so much for your fabulous instructions, it really is so easy!
    XxX

215. Chica said: (September 9th, 2013 at 6:37 pm)

Sounds wonderful, Kimberley. Saving money AND getting something personal… hard to top that!

216. Fran said: (December 6th, 2013 at 3:34 am)

I was so shocked at the price of veils for my daughters small budget
    Your instructions gave us confidence to give this a go
    Thank you !
    For a two tier elbow length veil would it look better to turn the ribbon to the outside half way round so it all ends up facing out if you see what I mean
    Fran

217. Chica said: (December 6th, 2013 at 7:21 am)

Fran, we’re happy we could help keep your daughter’s wedding on budget in a small way. As for the ribbon, unless you are using something very wide or ornate, it probably won’t make a difference which side it’s sewn on, because the tulle will be so thin you’ll see through it anyway. Try pinning it on both ways and see what works best for you.

218. Cathy said: (January 26th, 2014 at 10:59 pm)

Hi I am making my daughter’s veil for her wedding this August this is by far the best instructions I’ve seen. I just wanted to clarify how much do I gather in the middle to do the first illustration you showed? do I just leave a few inches off that are not gathered? My comb is 4″ long do do I gather the middle part until it’s just 2″ and attached the 1″ of ungathered tulle at each end? I’m using 108″ width. Although the wedding it’s not till August I have to start now because I have to sew a lot of beadwork on the veil.thank you

219. Chica said: (January 28th, 2014 at 8:15 am)

Cathy, thank you for the compliments on our instructions! When deciding how much of the tulle to gather in the middle, you’ll need to adjust based on how far down you want the sides to hang. If you want the sides to hang down far, don’t gather very much. If you want just a little, then gather more. Try basting some thread through loosely and play around until you get it the way you want, then attach it to the comb. Hope that helps!

220. Rae said: (February 7th, 2014 at 2:20 am)

I used this to make my wedding veil! I think it turned out GREAT! I could not find one with purple satin ribbon,but because of this I now HAVE one!

221. Chica said: (February 9th, 2014 at 9:54 am)

That’s fantastic, Rae!

222. karinda said: (February 28th, 2014 at 8:46 am)

so glad i found this im not wearing the traditional white and cant fine a veil anywhere in my coulor and this makes it so easy to make my own

223. Sandy said: (March 10th, 2014 at 11:19 am)

We are catholic and my 16 year old daughter will be confirmed in may and our parish requires the all white outfits for the boys and girls.The girls have to wear the whole nine yards,a white ,poofy,formal,floor length dress,veil,gloves,camisole,disposable diaper,plastic pants,tights and white mary jane shoes.She is also making her veil from scratch and it will be almost like a bridal veil.

224. Sally said: (March 15th, 2014 at 11:05 am)

Thank you so much for this step by step guide. My mum and I have just finished making my veil and it’s prefect!

225. Ruu said: (March 21st, 2014 at 8:33 am)

I’m getting married in just 2 months. Thought of making my own veil. Could you please tell me, how long the tulle should be for a cathedral veil???

226. Chica said: (March 23rd, 2014 at 9:20 am)

Ruu, the beauty of making your own veil is that you can make it any length you want. Just determine how long you want your veil to be and adjust your tulle length accordingly :)

227. Susan said: (July 8th, 2014 at 11:05 am)

My granddaughter has asked me to make her veil. My problem is she has sent me lace that she wants on her veil and it is wide. So my problem is how do I make the lace lay flat, when I try to make any curve it buckels up. I hope you can help me.

228. Heather said: (July 8th, 2014 at 4:17 pm)

im having a hard time with the ribbon trim, does it go all the way around , if not, how do you just do the bottom without it looking odd – thank you for your help —

229. Chica said: (July 14th, 2014 at 8:07 pm)

Susan, I’m afraid I can’t answer that question without seeing and holding the lace myself. My only suggestion would be for you to try laying it out in different ways (perhaps pin it to a lampshade to serve as a “head” model) until you find something that works. Best of luck!

Heather, you can add the ribbon however you like. If you cut the bottom edges of your tulle straight across, then ribbon straight across should look okay. Or just gently fold the tulle on each end so that the ribbon loops back on itself and lightly tack it in place with thread so that the ends of the ribbon are sort of hidden behind the rest of the ribbon. If you round out the edges of the tulle, then you’ll probably want to run the ribbon all the way around the curve and up to the headpiece. It’s hard to explain, but I hope that gives you some ideas to try!

230. Kelly said: (August 10th, 2014 at 4:22 pm)

Hello,

Just stumbled across your tutorial while looking for help making my own wedding veil – thank you!

I’m actually looking to make a Juliet cap veil with a blusher – Are you able to pot a tutorial for making this kind of veil? They seem to be non-existent on the internet. :(

Kelly :)

231. Ana said: (August 11th, 2014 at 1:52 am)

Hi, I want to make my wedding veil too and was excited when I came across your one. Very simple steps and easy to follow. I was wondering, I need a four layerd veil, can this be done by doing the samesteps?.. I have a curved spine and want to use the veil to hide it…

232. Chica said: (August 12th, 2014 at 7:51 pm)

Glad you found our tutorial, Kelly! I’m sorry to say that we don’t have any experience making a Juliet cap veil with blusher, so we don’t have a tutorial to share.

233. Chica said: (August 12th, 2014 at 7:56 pm)

Hi Ana! Seems to me like you could just follow our instructions twice, making two double-layers, then stack them up for the four-layer veil you’re looking for.

234. Maria Hopkins said: (September 15th, 2014 at 1:30 pm)

Thanks for your help.That was e refreshing tutorial for me.Thanks again.