I love fresh-baked bread (who doesn’t?) but I don’t have it often because it usually takes a long time to make between the rising and the kneading. When I’m in a hurry for some homemade goodness, though, I use my foolproof three-ingredient bread recipe that requires no kneading and takes only a few minutes to prepare. That’s right… three ingredients and no kneading!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 2/3 cups self-rising flour *
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 12-oz bottle of beer
* If you do not have self-rising flour, you can use 2 2/3 cups regular flour and add 4 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt.
Stir all ingredients together in a bowl until blended and pour the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 50-55 minutes.
For a crunchy crust, serve right away. For a softer crust (better for sandwiches), place in a plastic bag overnight, then serve.
Here are some variations you can use:
- For a kid-friendly baking lesson, you can use soda pop instead of beer and the bread will still work (although I have to say that the beer tastes a LOT better).
- You can use any kind of beer you like, depending on your tastes. I’ve used light and dark beers with success.
- If you’d like a sweeter bread (more suitable to breakfast or a snack), you can increase the sugar up to 1/2 cup.
This is a great recipe for a quick and easy bread. It’s also very inexpensive to make (about 25 cents worth of ingredients, not counting the beer). It also just so happens to be all but identical to the “Bountiful Beer Bread” sold by the “Tastefully Simple” line of foods. If you happen to be a fan of their products, save yourself $5 next time and just make your own Bountiful Beer Bread at home.
I have tried this bread with Blue Moon and Negro Modello beer, both of which gave fantastic results. I have also tried with Coca-Cola (which nobody liked) and Sprite (which the kids liked but I didn’t). I want to try it soon with root beer, because I think that might work really well. Please share your results if you try this at home; I’d love to hear which drinks work (or don’t) for you!