I hate folding socks. I hate doing a laundry load of whites and ending up with a pile of mismatched socks that have to be sorted up and paired together. There are always extra socks (or missing ones, depending on how you look at it) and it’s rare that you match every sock to its mate and end up with a perfect pile of pairs. And since socks wear out eventually after a while, there always seems to be one or two that need to be tossed out.
And then I developed The Sock Program.
The Sock Program eliminates all of these laundry problems by forcing all of your socks to match each other, and to wear evenly. But how does it work, you ask? Let me illustrate with these simple steps:
- Throw away* all of your typical, everyday socks (keep the special occasion ones)
- Purchase 12-18 pairs of new socks, ALL of which are in one (or two) style(s).**
- Wear your new socks as needed.
- When the socks are beginning to show signs of wear and need to be replaced, return to #1.
Now why is this a good plan?
Fewer choices: When you do laundry, all of your socks will be the same one (or two) style(s), and will be very easy to match up with each other. You can grab ANY TWO socks from the pile and they will match! You will never have more than one (or two) orphaned socks with no pair! The difference this makes in laundry folding time is unbelievable.
Consistent wear: Because you purchased all of the socks at the same time, they will all have even wear. You’ll never have to search to find a “new” sock to match with a “new” one, or an “old” with an “old”. They’ll all look the same, all the time.
I’ve been using The Sock Program for more years than I can remember. I love it and will never go back. I realize this won’t work for everyone. If your sock selection is pretty boring (like mine), it will work well. But if you love to have lots of different colors/styles of socks (like Jo does!), you can’t do this. If you’ve got kids (especially boys!) who tend to lose socks like crazy, this might just be the help you need.
* I highly recommend that you wear the socks one last time before throwing them away. Then instead of tossing them in the hamper, toss them in the trash. Why throw away clean socks?